IP daily chat 7/16/2014

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to

• Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
    NSV = Non-scale victory
    TOM = time of the month
    WI = Weigh-in
    WF = Walden Farms
    OP = on plan

Bookmarking:
    Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
    Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
    Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads,
    and here are the most recent Ideal Protein Protocol sheets

And before you cheat, read this thread:
    The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein

Before starting new threads: spend some time reading the forum. Most new threads are duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Folks who are the most successful, make time for research/reading.

Recipes Here
    Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4 -current thread open for posting
    Recipe thread #3
    Tips and Recipes from the Incredible Weight Loss Center
    Fun with Ideal Protein Packets
    Fun with Veggie Purees!
    Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow
    MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2

For those looking for alternative products
    Here is a thread with tons of info. Spend some time in it. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...phase-1-a.html
    And here is a link to a chart to help you choose appropriate products

Tickers and Signatures:
    There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
    The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
    If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos
    Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
  • Hahah, I've always wanted to start one of these, lol. I will be working nights so I have to stay awake late these days (that's an oxymoron, isn't it). Good morning to all, and I'm keeping positive thoughts for you to stay OP toward your goals!
  • Good morning! I have lost 10 pounds so far using my sister's "leftover " IP packets. I had an appointment yesterday with my oncologist (breast cancer 5 years ago...healthy now) and asked about going on IP officially. I was told no because of high soy levels.
    Can someone tell me where to find a list of IP products that are soy free ? I'd like to continue but don't want to risk repeat of cancer.
  • Holy Hair Loss!
    I know there has been some talk recently about hair loss and IP, and I have read some of the older threads. However, I have a few questions that I am hoping some of the veterans on the board might be able to answer.

I have been on IP since March 24th and have lost 44 pounds. I have approximately 43 more pound to goal. I have been 100% OP and I love that I am not hungry and am actually able to stick to it! The downside is that I am losing my hair in copious amounts, and it has thinned dramatically. I have taken Biotin since Day 1 on IP and have since started using Nioxin. At this rate, I will be bald before I am skinny.

So onto the questions:

1. Is the hair loss just a phase or will it continue as long as I am in Phase 1? Has anyone experienced a temporary hair loss, continued on Phase 1, had it stop falling out, and experienced regrowth? Or is the only way to stop it to stop dieting??

2. Would the alternative plan help with the hair loss? I am very rules oriented and very black and white, so the though of even having to stop regular IP and switch to the alternative plan is frightening. I don't think I've been a super quick loser (average of 3 pounds per week), and I am terrified that the alternative plan will slow me down too much for the amount of weight I have left to lose.

3. Are you still in ketosis on the alternative plan? If not, wouldn't I experience the crazy hunger that most experience on low-calorie diets? Part of why I am able to stick to IP is not being hungry all the time.

I feel discouraged this morning. I FINALLY find something that works for me, that I can stick to, and that makes me feel more energetic than I have in years, and now I am dealing with crazy hair loss. Instead of focusing on my slimmer figure in the mirror every morning, I am combing out clumps of hair and figuring out how to style it so it minimalizes the loss.

HELP!!! I would say "before I pull my hair out" with frustration, but hey...that's not funny!
  • Quote: Good morning! I have lost 10 pounds so far using my sister's "leftover " IP packets. I had an appointment yesterday with my oncologist (breast cancer 5 years ago...healthy now) and asked about going on IP officially. I was told no because of high soy levels.
    Can someone tell me where to find a list of IP products that are soy free ? I'd like to continue but don't want to risk repeat of cancer.
    Good morning Jean! Congrats on being cancer-free! It is absolutely possible to do IP without soy products either by carefully purchasing/reviewing IP product labels or by using alternatives. My suggestion is to check out the "alternative products thread" thread to see what products may apply. I know there are several ladies on here (Lisa, Liana maybe?) who avoid soy.

Is that the only sticking point to the diet for your oncologist? I would call and see, because you can do it soy-free for sure!
  • Quote: I know there has been some talk recently about hair loss and IP, and I have read some of the older threads. However, I have a few questions that I am hoping some of the veterans on the board might be able to answer.

I have been on IP since March 24th and have lost 44 pounds. I have approximately 43 more pound to goal. I have been 100% OP and I love that I am not hungry and am actually able to stick to it! The downside is that I am losing my hair in copious amounts, and it has thinned dramatically. I have taken Biotin since Day 1 on IP and have since started using Nioxin. At this rate, I will be bald before I am skinny.

So onto the questions:

1. Is the hair loss just a phase or will it continue as long as I am in Phase 1? Has anyone experienced a temporary hair loss, continued on Phase 1, had it stop falling out, and experienced regrowth? Or is the only way to stop it to stop dieting??

2. Would the alternative plan help with the hair loss? I am very rules oriented and very black and white, so the though of even having to stop regular IP and switch to the alternative plan is frightening. I don't think I've been a super quick loser (average of 3 pounds per week), and I am terrified that the alternative plan will slow me down too much for the amount of weight I have left to lose.

3. Are you still in ketosis on the alternative plan? If not, wouldn't I experience the crazy hunger that most experience on low-calorie diets? Part of why I am able to stick to IP is not being hungry all the time.

I feel discouraged this morning. I FINALLY find something that works for me, that I can stick to, and that makes me feel more energetic than I have in years, and now I am dealing with crazy hair loss. Instead of focusing on my slimmer figure in the mirror every morning, I am combing out clumps of hair and figuring out how to style it so it minimalizes the loss.

HELP!!! I would say "before I pull my hair out" with frustration, but hey...that's not funny!
    I am starting to lose hair also....booo! I will be watching the answers coming in from other with more experience but here is the info I have about hair loss, as I lost about half my hair after two very ill pregnancies:

- usually the hair loss is in response to a shock/stress that occurred much earlier, so you may not be able to reverse it once it has begun

- it WILL eventually stop...and it will grow back (unless there is some other cause for the hair loss...but due to calorie restriction/stress it is absolutely temporary)

- even if YOU notice the loss, it generally is not that noticeable for others (despite that I had SCALP showing, I don't think anyone really noticed besides my hubby who had to DRAINO our shower no less than once a month)

- Maybe delayign the invitable but I washed less and avoided wet-hair comb through when I was at the height of my loss.

- Get a really good hair cut that suits thinner hair. I have very thick hair and had no idea even how to style thin hair, so I needed help from my hairdresser to learn to deal with my temporary thin hair.

HTH even a little! Having done the hair loss thing twice already, I know now it's a temporary downer to such an AMAZING thing (our weight loss that is).
  • FREE SHIPPING on NASHUA NUTRITION -- TODAY ONLY!!
    On orders of $49 or more. Use code TODAY49 (capital letters) when checking out.
  • Hello and good morning! I am on day 3 of the protocol. This program is going well so far! The rigidity is working for me. When I have done Weight Watchers in the past, I think I had too many choices (if that makes sense).

I have been reading lots of posts on here to get familiar with the IP protocol. My coach called me yesterday to check on me - that felt really good!

I am also VERY concerned about hair loss. Female hair loss runs in my family - two of my sisters are almost bald. They lost their hair in their 20's. I am 38 and have had two kids - while my hair is not nearly as thick as it was in my 20's, I still have a full head of hair. I am super concerned that I will lost it on this protocol. I will get Biotin supplements if they do not interfere with the protocol. Does anyone know if this is ok to use?

Also concerned about soy - my coach said that they use soy isolates so there is not as much concern about the hormonal effects of too much soy - have any of you heard this?

Have a great day everyone!
  • NSV this morning - three people at work who are unaware of my diet separately gave me compliments on how slim I look! I guess it's finally showing! And it's not even 10 am!
  • Quote: On orders of $49 or more. Use code TODAY49 (capital letters) when checking out.
    Well you're no help! I ordered yesterday

Quote: Hello and good morning! I am on day 3 of the protocol. This program is going well so far! The rigidity is working for me. When I have done Weight Watchers in the past, I think I had too many choices (if that makes sense).
    Totally makes sense. The rules are why it works for me. It is hard and simple at the same time. Once in ketosis it is pretty easy for me.

Quote: NSV this morning - three people at work who are unaware of my diet separately gave me compliments on how slim I look! I guess it's finally showing! And it's not even 10 am!
    Congratulations on slimming down and hearing about it at work. That's always a nice feeling. Keep up the good work.
  • Quote: Hello and good morning! I am on day 3 of the protocol. This program is going well so far! The rigidity is working for me. When I have done Weight Watchers in the past, I think I had too many choices (if that makes sense).

I have been reading lots of posts on here to get familiar with the IP protocol. My coach called me yesterday to check on me - that felt really good!

I am also VERY concerned about hair loss. Female hair loss runs in my family - two of my sisters are almost bald. They lost their hair in their 20's. I am 38 and have had two kids - while my hair is not nearly as thick as it was in my 20's, I still have a full head of hair. I am super concerned that I will lost it on this protocol. I will get Biotin supplements if they do not interfere with the protocol. Does anyone know if this is ok to use?

Also concerned about soy - my coach said that they use soy isolates so there is not as much concern about the hormonal effects of too much soy - have any of you heard this?

Have a great day everyone!
    Hey, Creolelady! Congrats on day 3! My coach warned me that days 3 and 4 are probably the hardest, so if you can survive today and tomorrow, it's all good from there! I too like the rigidity. It works for me.

As for hair loss, it sounds like some people definitely deal with that. I haven't, at all. My hair is still as thick and obnoxious as ever.

And I was given the same info about the soy. There was a whole handout about it given to me. Apparently those who are super sensitive to soy still have some trouble, but in general it shouldn't affect us.

Good luck today! You've got this!
  • Quote: I will get Biotin supplements if they do not interfere with the protocol. Does anyone know if this is ok to use?
    My coach said Biotin is okay to use. I started using it when my hair starting falling out at about 4 months into the program. I think it has helped. I also do the things evemomma suggested - like, I don't wash my hair as often now (a ponytail on day 3 of not washing is actually kind of liberating!).

Since I am still in phase 1, and will be for a while, I don't have any other personal experience to add to the hair conversation - but I have been told by my coach and my doctor that the loss is temporary and it will grow back.
  • Good Morning All! Hope everyone has a great day!

In regards to the hair loss questions, my coach signed me up for Ideal Coaching TV at http://my.idealprotein.com/. One of the videos the other day was talking about hormones during weight loss. I don't remember all of the scientific terms but pretty much the gist of it was that our fat cells store hormones and when we lose weight those fat cells are depleted and the hormones are released into the body. Everyone's hormone levels are different, but some people experience the hairloss because they have an abundance of X hormone stored in the fat cells. The video said that the hairloss isn't a permanent issue, but I'll let the ladies that have been through the process give further information on the subject. I also feel like this is why some people want sexy time more/less while on this diet. Gotta love hormones....even in weight loss!!
  • Creolelady....Annie's right, if you can do the first week, you've got this! I was quite lucky and didn't have a lot of the terrible "keto flu" symptoms experienced by others. Maybe you're lucky too! I totally understand about rigidity - I choose IP specifically b/c I needed to relearn how to make choices as, clearly, I was not making good ones on my own!

Annie....Didn't get a chance to respond to yesterday's thread. I will praying that God lifts you up right now while you find a plan of action to get that thing out of where it doesn't belong!

PishPosh....Wahoo on a NSV! This past week I feel that I'm getting a lot more questions and comments, and though it feels almost a little over-the-top, it feels GREAT!

Had my first weigh-in in two weeks and was SUPER excited to see that I am now 140.7 lbs!!!! This puts me at the 30 lbs weight loss mark and pretty much 5 lbs to my goal. Yippee! My coach gave me the choice to move to Phase 2 and my next weigh-in (in two weeks), but I'm averaging only about 1.5 a week loss right now, so I think I will still be a little away from my goal in two weeks. But soon, soon, soon. I really do want to hit my 135 benchmark before the next phase, even if I lose a little more in P2, I would like to say that I hit my goal in P1.

Anyway, feeling excited and positive about the next few weeks!
  • Quote: Had my first weigh-in in two weeks and was SUPER excited to see that I am now 140.7 lbs!!!! This puts me at the 30 lbs weight loss mark and pretty much 5 lbs to my goal. Yippee! My coach gave me the choice to move to Phase 2 and my next weigh-in (in two weeks), but I'm averaging only about 1.5 a week loss right now, so I think I will still be a little away from my goal in two weeks. But soon, soon, soon. I really do want to hit my 135 benchmark before the next phase, even if I lose a little more in P2, I would like to say that I hit my goal in P1.

Anyway, feeling excited and positive about the next few weeks!
    Congrats!!