Old 06-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #1  

Question Replacement packs for real meal and cheese ??

Hello Nice Forum, my two daughters B and D and I began our IP plan together last Friday. We had our first weigh in yesterday and we were so happy with our success! We all managed the plan and stayed compliant, I believe. My daughters had 80 lbs and 90 lbs pounds to lose and I had 21. My eldest (26) lost 10 lbs the first week, my younger (20)lost 4.5 lbs and I lost 4. My question relates to my younger daughter who is a very picky eater. She has no trouble with the packs. In fact she would be better off with all packs. She tolerates chicken and hamburgers but doesn't like them and her vegetable tolerance is limited. She's been having a lot of pickles and broccoli. The two real meal replacements offered by our doctor are not appetizing to her. As a college student her time and interest in cooking is limited. I wonder if any other coaches allow the real meal to be replaced by packs, if so what packs. Also, what's the reason a couple of ounces of hard cheddar is not allowed? No carbs, maybe a bit more fat but if she picks packs with little fat during the day, replacing meat with cheese would really help. Also, do all coaches prohibit crystal light. I don't like the IP drink mix. Any help or novel ideas would be appreciated.
Nan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #2  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I can't comment on the meat/cheese aspect because I am not sure why dairy is restricted -- I'll assume it is based on how our bodies process it. However, the packs do not have enough real nutrients to replace real food with all packs.
The big "long term" picture is also important. If she is to be successful when she is done this diet, she will need to be able to embrace eating vegetables. The weight will all just go back on if she goes back to a carb based diet of breads and pastas etc. She should be thinking of this as a good time to try different things and maybe she will develop a taste for different veggies. I'm sure there is a vegetarian thread that would offer other options besides meat but not liking veggies is a challenge. Tell her it's like studying -- she may not like it but will be happier with the results if she does it!
It's great you're all in this together and can support each other - that will be a big help for her
It's aspartame in Crystal Light that is the problem but I think you can get it with Splenda, so check that out. It seems the "MIO" drops are pretty popular.

Last edited by IP43; 06-08-2014 at 09:37 AM.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #3  

Thank you IP4, and you're certainly right about the long term.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #4  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Finding different ways to get veggies is a plus, lot's of these ladies blend spinach up and make it with their chocolate shakes. I've never done it because I love veggies, but I hear it's delicious. Plus as the diet goes on tastes will change. Coaches say no crystal light because I do believe it's made with aspartame, try mio its made with sucralose. As for the cheese it's high in fat. Does she like lunch meats? I buy meat from the deli and just munch on that. It's higher in salt but my coach said it was a fine choice because I am not getting near as much salt in my diet.
AmberLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
Finding different ways to get veggies is a plus, lot's of these ladies blend spinach up and make it with their chocolate shakes. I've never done it because I love veggies, but I hear it's delicious. Plus as the diet goes on tastes will change. Coaches say no crystal light because I do believe it's made with aspartame, try mio its made with sucralose. As for the cheese it's high in fat. Does she like lunch meats? I buy meat from the deli and just munch on that. It's higher in salt but my coach said it was a fine choice because I am not getting near as much salt in my diet.
I LOVE frozen spinach blended with my ip drinks!!! SOOOO delish!!
Kellyc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

IP43 made some very good points that are clearly important to success on IP and LONG term maintenance.

Cheese is OUT even for vegetarians. Dairy, especially cheese, is a much higher fat content than would be beneficial for IP. Also dairy has naturally occurring sugars... Again, more than are allowed on IP.

However... There is NOTHING WRONG with having the same types of foods repeatedly. Chicken and burgers are good ones because chicken's lower fat can be balanced by a few days of the slightly higher fat in ground beef. Does she like turkey? That opens some other possibilities. Also, she can use ground chicken (and turkey) for burgers too. How about tuna (in water) in a salad?

For veggies... Well one of the MOST successful IPers I remember on here ONLY ate frozen organic broccoli (well, yes, she DID cook it!). Encourage her to try a few other veggies, especially after 3-4 weeks on IP eating pickles and broccoli... Her tastes may change or boredom may make her willing to try.

Last edited by JLUS; 06-08-2014 at 10:18 PM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #7  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

I think I was your dd at age 20. In university I ate raw carrots, celery and corn. Not even pickles or broccoli. Still don't like those. In my 40's and finally eating veggies and finally losing weight that I feel I will keep off.

It takes many time of trying a new thing to develop a taste for it. I used to tolerate peppers and asparagus. Now that I eat it more often I really like it. Roasting veggies until they were dead is what got me started and now I don't need to cook them as much.

Luckily I have no trouble with protein. Will she eat eggs?
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #8  

To the other comments, I'd just like to add this: the IP plan isn't for everyone.

I avoided it for a long time due to the overly processed packets and the soy in most of the food. Then I decided my health was worth the short-term of eating soy (I do not believe it is good for us). Eventually I restricted soy and gluten and was able to make the changes necessary, while remaining on IP.

However, when looking at a plan, and noting there is hardly anything you'll eat, perhaps exploring other plans is in order. IP is VERY restrictive already. Struggling to "get in" items you don't like would make it even harder. Lucky for me, most of my dislikes are items that are pretty restricted anyway (tomatoes & kiwi topping that list).

On the other hand, if one only likes starches, that is not a healthy diet in the long-run and learning to eat more nutritiosly will create a much more healthy, happy life with less disease.

My guess is that IP doesn't allow cheese for many reasons including the fat content, the fact that is is VERY easy to overeat, and for us to learn to like foods without disguising them.

My suggestion would be for her to explore the veggie purée thread. I puréed many veggies and added them to soups. Spinach in my chocolate pudding smoothie is a staple.

My last suggestion is this: if we don't learn to eat and cook in a healthy manner, we will never sustain our weight loss and we're doomed to repeat this cycle. We have a college student on our board (recently graduated) who has been VERY successful. She had to make some major changes to take charge of her health. She came to the daily chat and asked LOTS of questions. And she's rocking her weight loss!

Last edited by lisa32989; 06-15-2014 at 08:07 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #9  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

So true, Lisa.

I have avoided other diets with drinks, supplements and cleanses because I literally didn't think I could swallow them.

I'm not a fruit eater or a wine drinker so IP doesn't leave me feeling like I am missing something and it has forced me to find some veggies to add to my small repertoire. I would never have been able to do this plan 10 years ago? Even the 0 point veggies and fruit on WW didn't get me eating them.

I don't enjoy all the pills but it is only for now.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:19 AM   #10  

Thank you to all of you that have posted. Your comments are both helpful and true. The 20 year old picky eater lost 2 lbs this week. She admitted to the coach that she was not eating all of the required food ie the vegetables and less than 5 ounces of real protein a day. We are going to try silken tofu and spinach in her shakes. Also today we added an egg to vanilla pudding with 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder, and 3 0z of water. Mix it up well and microwave for 2 minutes. It spilled over the top of the large mug but then shrunk down to a much smaller size when we took it out of the microwave. It was really delicious and we snuck in a little natural protein. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #11  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan57 View Post
In fact she would be better off with all packs.
I may be mistaken but I thought that there was a boot camp protocol that allows 2 packs to be used in place of the meat protein. Those packs may not be restricteds--still just 1 restricted per day.

Her tastes may change if she can just hang in there long enough to experience the some of the feel-good effects from losing weight.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
I may be mistaken but I thought that there was a boot camp protocol that allows 2 packs to be used in place of the meat protein. Those packs may not be restricteds--still just 1 restricted per day.
That would be for very short-term. Not the entirety of the time on the plan. This is why I never bring it up to new folks. Learning to eat properly needs to be the focus!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote