Old 06-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 177.7/178.1/150

Height: 5'4

Angry

Oh lordy... tonight is my usual night that I get a babysitter and go to a movie by myself. How on earth am I going to do this without eating popcorn??!!! And don't tell me to go exercise instead or I might hit you! Lol. I don't have any salty snacks left. Ack
Sheena1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #32  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Lol -- you'll need to get some ridges or something for next week. Think about how much that popcorn costs, and vow to get yourself something for the $18 -- a "new" something. And maybe grab some gum or something if it's the "chewing" you need.
Good luck. You can do it! Enjoy the show!!
And remember.... to the

Last edited by IP43; 06-11-2014 at 06:55 PM.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #33  
Diane on track July 2014

Great advice mars! I will also think of popcorn as carbs layered in fat ---eww! That would work for me! Now I need to make some "mental images" for some of my other favourites too!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #34  
maintaining since 9/2013

Default don't read this if you want to keep loving cinema popcorn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I will also think of popcorn as carbs layered in fat ---eww!
Once I get the aroma, I have to resort to something stronger: "rancid fat on GMO popcorn grown with pesticide & they probably never clean out the equipment so it might be laced with salmonella"

Kessler, in his book, describes how the food industry sets out to make foods taste irresistible, and goes through a lot of examples like this:

"One of the signature hamburgers at Hardee's is called the Monster Thickburger, which famously contains 1,420 calories & 108 g of fat, Bacon, cheese, & mayonnaise are layered on the burger, and the bun is buttered. The Monster Thickburger is little more than fat on fat on salt on fat on fat, all on a refined carbohydrate"

I also liked his mention of a restaurant consultant's comment that some salads are 'fat with a little lettuce.'

Last edited by mars735; 06-11-2014 at 11:19 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #35  
Diane on track July 2014

It would almost make a good "IP party game" where you have to guess what they mystery food is LOL. I loved your advice about avoiding the "triggers" and making conscious thoughts about the power we have over what we eat. We are creatures of habit after all. I always laugh at little things I do -- like use the same bathroom stall at work or having to put the toilet paper on the right way. It's so silly. How many "routines" do I have that involve food? Next time I feel like snacking or something, I'm going to be thinking about the "why" I'm hungry instead of the "what" can I have.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 170.4/157.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I'm not sure who reads what threads so sorry if this is a repeat. But in discussing wine, we mentioned last week that a glass sets you back 3 days = 3x$12. If you think of that as a $36 glass of wine, it may make you either trade it for the sparkling MIO, or at least make you enjoy and savour it all the more, as it's an expensive indulgence.

I actually went to a party and did carry around a glass of wine all night, but I literally poured 2 sips into the glass. I had one sip to taste the wine and I didn't have to bother explaining why I wasn't drinking etc. If anyone offered more, I could just wave the glass and say, "gotta drive, so no more for me" .... ah the funny games we play! LOL
I did some reading about ketogenic diets in general, and the effects of alcohol. What I read said that drinking wouldn't necessarily kick you out of ketosis but it does pause it temporarily while your body uses the alcohol as fuel instead of fat. When I had wine I tried to use it as sort of an experiment to see how my body reacted to it. I tested and I never went out of ketosis. Weight loss my first week, when I was 100% OP was 3.4 pounds, second week when I mixed in a little wine was 2.8. So, a little less but I think that's to be expected since you typically lose a lot of water weight the first week. I totally understand people that don't want to risk it, but I don't feel like it set me back at all. Just my two cents.
NotCoolEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #37  
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCoolEnough View Post
I did some reading about ketogenic diets in general, and the effects of alcohol. What I read said that drinking wouldn't necessarily kick you out of ketosis but it does pause it temporarily while your body uses the alcohol as fuel instead of fat. When I had wine I tried to use it as sort of an experiment to see how my body reacted to it. I tested and I never went out of ketosis. Weight loss my first week, when I was 100% OP was 3.4 pounds, second week when I mixed in a little wine was 2.8. So, a little less but I think that's to be expected since you typically lose a lot of water weight the first week. I totally understand people that don't want to risk it, but I don't feel like it set me back at all. Just my two cents.
I agree...that's why I'm on this thread! LOL I know it won't work for some people but it works for me so that's really what matters. I also exercise which is a no-no so I really am a rebel!
mrskuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 226/198/162 (or lower)

Height: 5'5"

I find that if I don't enjoy what I'm eating, I won't stick with it. I'm big on seasoning, but I try to keep all my seasonings msg and salt free and only use the IP salt. However, I do use a steak/all purpose seasoning that does have sea salt in it, but no msg or sugar. Without it and other seasonings, I'd never want to eat. Bland doesn't do it for me. Also, I don't sweat what seasonings they use in a restaurant, because I only eat out about once a week, and so far it hasn't affected my weight loss. Ordering beef fajitas with a side of sauteed vegetables is my go to order. I just skip the onions. I ordered that out with my sister & BIL and they were envious of my nice plate of veggies. I thought it would be hard, because chips, salsa and a Margarita are my favorite treat. However, my husband gets his Margarita, I get tea and I may take a nibble or two of salsa only (no chips) while everyone else is chowing on chips. I then thoroughly enjoy my meal. No guilt, no weight-loss stall, no going out of ketosis. I just drink lots of tea and water to keep things flowing. I ordered something off a "light" menu at a restaurant and the food was so bland and dry (because I couldn't have the sauce, as they were all fruit and/or honey based) that I ate two bites and felt angry and sorry for myself and left it. Yuck. I will not do that again. I will special order what I want - seasoning and all - without going nuts.

Since everyone's body works differently, I don't even consider that not 100%. Some people are more sensitive to things than others. I don't cheat, but because I have found a way that makes me happy and lose weight, I feel completely OP. I have a friend on IP that still drinks wine. She loses a bit slower, but if she didn't have her wine, she wouldn't stick with any of the program. She's okay with that. What you adopt as a lifestyle change has to work for you or you'll give up, right? I will have a diet soda once in a while, not because I really like diet soda, but because it is the closest I can get to a fun, cold drink while I'm out with my kids. It is HOT in Houston and sometimes you want to feel like you have a treat to beat the heat. They get a slush or milk shake, I'd like something more "special" than water - I have that connected to my hand 24/7. A diet soda with a lemon or lime or sugar free syrup is a treat.

I'm averaging 3.3 pounds a week, I'm SO happy. I'm also not missing things as much as I though I would. 100%? 90% Whatever, it is working and I'm happy.
momotrips3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #39  
IP start date 12/12/12

Momotrips, you are absolutely correct! I hardly ever get to eat out but when I do I want something tasty! I am a pretty good cook so going out and eating something bland or dry won't cut it. What's the point of going out if the food doesn't taste good? My theory is that if I really feel like I need a treat, I try to stay low carb so it generally means I will have something with a bit more fat in it. Last night we went to a local place and I had the sliders (1 each of elk, venison and bison) and just ate them without the buns but with the sauteed onions (and of course a glass of wine). Yummy stuff! Still down almost a pound from yesterday when I weighed this morning so what's the harm?
Old 06-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

I've never thought of the IP plan as bland... there are tons of seasonings and herbs & spices out there that are IP compliant & have no sugars or fats or weird chemicals in them. Flavour it up with Mexican, Indian, Thai, Caribbean, etc. Nothing has to be bland, in fact that is the only way to stay happy on any healthy eating plan, including when you get to maintenance. You can always bring your own seasonings or dressings or flavour packets with you to any restaurant and not have to be subject to their whims. Just sayin'...you can take over the control of your meal.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #41  
IP start date 12/12/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
I've never thought of the IP plan as bland... there are tons of seasonings and herbs & spices out there that are IP compliant & have no sugars or fats or weird chemicals in them. Flavour it up with Mexican, Indian, Thai, Caribbean, etc. Nothing has to be bland, in fact that is the only way to stay happy on any healthy eating plan, including when you get to maintenance. You can always bring your own seasonings or dressings or flavour packets with you to any restaurant and not have to be subject to their whims. Just sayin'...you can take over the control of your meal.
I agree...when I am at home I can and do make delicious food that DH doesn't even consider "diet food". Heck, I can even make the little envelopes of "soup" taste fantastic...the issue comes when I have to order dry chicken or fish plus steamed veggies at a restaurant. The cook/chef will generally just make the food with no seasoning whatsoever for fear of adding the wrong thing. So then I'm left with salt/pepper for flavor...not worth leaving the house for, IMHO.

Last edited by mrskuby; 06-12-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 177.7/178.1/150

Height: 5'4

Thanks for the advice regarding the theater popcorn. I wish I had seen the posts before I went. I caved. But.....I am still proud of the changes I made. I drank water instead of coke, only had 1/2 of a small popcorn and didn't layer the butter and I didn't have any chocolate. That is huge for me!!! Going to the movie by myself and having popcorn is my special treat every week. So I went off plan but next week I will be more prepared with a salty IP snack and a 1/2 IP bar.

First week weigh in -3 lbs. That's not bad considering I switched to alternate for awhile and had some carbs. This week I am hoping for big losses!
Sheena1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #43  
Diane on track July 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena1966 View Post
Thanks for the advice regarding the theater popcorn. I wish I had seen the posts before I went. I caved. But.....I am still proud of the changes I made. I drank water instead of coke, only had 1/2 of a small popcorn and didn't layer the butter and I didn't have any chocolate. That is huge for me!!! Going to the movie by myself and having popcorn is my special treat every week. So I went off plan but next week I will be more prepared with a salty IP snack and a 1/2 IP bar.

First week weigh in -3 lbs. That's not bad considering I switched to alternate for awhile and had some carbs. This week I am hoping for big losses!
I find the Southwest cheese curls (do they still have those--it's been awhile since I ordered them) last a LONG time and because they are spicy, it takes me awhile to eat. That would be a close replacement I would think
Old 06-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 226/198/162 (or lower)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
I know, canadjineh. I use all the spices and flavorings I can. However, I may or may not use a tad more than I should sometimes. In restaurants, many think that "healthy" means bland and dry, no salt, unless they drench it in "healthy" sauces or dressings which I've found to be by and large, fruit, honey or teriyaki based - all a no go. When you ask them to skip the sauce, etc., they tend to just leave it dry - no oil, no broth. Even if you seasoned it after it got to your table it would be blah. I've had better luck with asking for a regular cut of meat and holding the regular sides and adding sauteed veggies and asking what veggies they can use. Otherwise you get a plate full of carrots! My favorite Mexican restaurant has proven to be the best at this.I also bring a dressing packet, stevia and an IP snack. The last meal that I referenced was at BJ's Brewhouse chain and I've never had a bad dish there. However, what they served me just made me angry. The fish was so dry that drenching it in lemon and adding some olive oil just kind of absorbed. It was sorcery I tell you! Worst. Meal. Ever.
momotrips3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #45  
IP start date 12/12/12

Hi all! Just checking in! I'm down another 3lbs! I am so very happy!

We are going up north to do some 4 wheeling for the weekend. I know food is going to be a challenge so I made a nice faux potato salad with cauliflower, celery, cucumber, onions and WF ranch mayo. Oh and a couple of hard boiled eggs chopped up in there too! It was so yummy that DH and I ate some with dinner last night! I'm sure we'll have burgers and prolly some sort of ribs so I will do my best to stay OP (my plan, that is). I picked up some Maple Farms sugar free pancake mix for breakfast too so I think I'll have it under control!

I hope you all are having a wonderful Friday 13th!!