Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Tamila....you are living it!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #422  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Lala.....the vets have the best advice. I can't top that! Here's some of my on-plan spices/dressings/sauces:

Liquid Smoke
Frank's hot sauce
Soy Sauce
Dill Pickles
Peppercinis
Banana pepper rings
chopped jalapenos
spicy mustard
yellow mustard
garlic
cayenne
cumin
ginger
WF c hipotle ranch
WF sesame ginger
Da Vinci Vanilla syrup made with plenda
WF pancake syrup
cinnamon

I like to layer flavors and make my food very bold....mixed soy sauce, garlic, hot sauce and liquid smoke into burgers today.....MMMMM!

You can eat flavorfully without sugar! I promise!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #423  

S/C/G: IP Restart: 181.2/175.6/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamila View Post
But you can do this. Surrender to health!
I really like that phrase, surrender to health. All the times I have made poor choices in the past, particularly before starting IP, I always felt I was surrendering to temptation or a weakness inside myself. I like to put the positive spin on this process instead and put all of the focus and energy on good choices. Rather than worrying about giving in to the wrong thing, I am surrendering myself to the desire and need to live healthy.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #424  
Started IP 6/25/14

S/C/G: 309/see ticker/160

Height: 5'5

Default Milestones

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Who else is sticking to protocol?
I am! I am in my second week and had a small social milestone. We go to this pub trivia thing on Monday nights with friends. The entire point of this (besides competing for prizes) is to eat appetizers and have cocktails. I skipped it my first week, but went this last Monday. I brought a bag of BBQ chips (the pub this is played at actually puts homemade BBQ chips on the table for free snacking) with my BBQ crisps I was able to enjoy "the same thing" as everyone else. I also brought my own Cascade Ice "Cosmo" drink and when that was done ordered hot tea. Meanwhile, all around me incredibly delicious food was consumed and I was fine! It was a personal milestone and I had just as much fun as I always do. I told my friends the hardest part was not knowing what to do with my hands--without the constant hand-to-mouth motions of snacking I was a little lost. =)

Heading into week 3 and determined to have a great week!
Old 07-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #425  
Started IP 6/25/14

Default Finger Lickin'

Quote:
Still 100%! Not even a finger lick at a big Fourth of July shindig. As a result I lost 3 pounds over the Fourth weekend!
I know what you mean! I helped my daughter ice a homemade carrot cake last night, at points my fingers were literally covered with icing. I moved my hand toward my mouth reflexively to lick my finger but "HOLD UP",I rinsed it off instead. I actually thought "Look at that beautiful icing....wasted". But I was darn proud. There was a time I wouldn't have been able to resist.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #426  
Started IP 6/25/14

I just remembered (and shared elsewhere) that I had about a tablespoon of "malted Vinegar"which I can only assume is not OP because it effected me badly. But I didn't do it on purpose, so I'm not counting it as a blunder, but as a lesson. I need some dressing packets to carry with me. =)
Old 07-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #427  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

For those of you who want to flavour your food: My Spice box is 5 inches high, 8 inches wide, and 24 inches long. it contains:

oregano
freeze dried cilantro leaves
dried kaffir lime leaves
fennel seeds
basil
rosemary
ground coriander
garum masala
smoked paprika
bay leaves
curry leaves
celery seed
dried lemongrass
ginger
thyme
dillweed
dill seeds
fenugreek leaves
cardamom
Madras curry powder
asafoetida powder (for Indian food)
saffron
cinnamon
cloves
nutmeg
caraway seed
chili powder
chipotle chili powder

Not in the box, in a separate cupboard:
Dried sweet red pepper dip mix (Epicure has no sugars, starches, salts in their spice mixes)
Moroccan Mint & Beet dip mix
Cheese, Chives & Bacon dip mix (This one may have a fraction of a fat gram in it- but less than 1 for amount needed)
Berber spice mix
Harissa spice mix
Jamaican Jerk mix
Chinese 5-spice powder
Indonesian spice mix
Adobo spice mix
Taj Indian spice mix
Greek dressing/seasoning mix

I also have maple bacon flavoured grinder pepper
4-peppercorn grinder pepper
Alder smoked crystal sea salt in a grinder
IP salt
Himalayan Pink salt
Fleur de Sel
Lavender & dried lemon peel crystal sea salt in a grinder.

This doesn't count the 4 mustards and the Bragg's Aminos in my fridge. I also buy fresh herbs & garlic especially dill & basil and grow fresh mint, plus I have 5 different flavours of EVOO from Sapori: http://www.saporioilsandvinegars.com/

Get the picture? No carbs, no calories, you can do it too!

Liana
Thx for the profile pic love NaeNae
Sorry Literari, I think I called you Literati (which is a good thing to be...lol) earlier in a post.

Last edited by canadjineh; 07-10-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #428  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Tamila -- Look at you go. Well done. You have done quite a bit of mental work -- I can see it from all the way over here. Good for you!
Old 07-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #429  
Start IP 3rd Jan 2014

S/C/G: 187/141/145

Height: 5'6

Tamila, I loved your post. It was so heartfelt and real. I love the analogy of surrendering to IP. This is so true. I think there are a number of reasons I've managed to stay 100% OP for over 6 months and some of them are:-

1. Reading and posting on this site. Getting validation that you are doing the right thing and receiving support during the wobbly stages is immensely powerful.
2. Surrendering to IP and doing it 100% one meal and one day at a time.
3. Planning and prepping for the week ahead. I like to know what I will be cooking before I start.
4. Planning and prepping for social occasions. During my six months on IP I went on vacation, attended a three day wedding in the Bahamas, celebrated my birthday, celebrated others birthdays, attended numerous work related functions, attended at least 3 champagne brunches, went on two boat trips (or as I call them, booze cruises) and this weekend I'm attending my second bachelorette party. Some functions I've chosen not to attend. The wine and cheese tasting function in the first six weeks would have broken me so I opted out. Social functions are full of choices and I've learned that to succeed at these I need to have a plan in place beforehand,whether it's scanning the menus and knowing what I can eat that is 100% OP or eating before I go and bringing some extra items with me.
5. My close friends have been totally supportive and have assisted with even the small things like moving the bread basket to the opposite end of the table and out of my line of sight.
6. Finally, the cost involved with cheating just meant it was a no-brainer for me.

I'm sure that others have far better reasons for being able to stay OP. Feel free to add to the list!

Tamila, I truly believe that you have got this. Welcome to the surrender to IP club!! It's non-exclusive and everyone is welcome!!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:08 PM   #430  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I found a great quote for this diet (well, for anything really)....

Old 07-10-2014, 11:12 PM   #431  
Start IP 3rd Jan 2014

S/C/G: 187/141/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I found a great quote for this diet (well, for anything really)....

Wish there was a like button. Will a smiley face do instead?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #432  
Started IP 6/25/14

Quote:
You know your own mental state, but something my coach told me REALLY helped me. Biologically, no, a tablespoon of ketchup shouldn't make you gain weight no stop losing. However, hormonally, something *does* happen when you stray. For example, I was using grass fed butter instead of grape seed oil. It really messed with me. It shouldn't have, because I still followed the amount limitations, but nonetheless I stalled.

I felt like it was 98% (and, realistically, the vaaaaast majority if my food was perfectly on plan), and that shouldn't mess with my progress, but it DID.

The only way I have found success is 100%. I think it comes down to this: do I REALLY want to change? Do I want to heal my body and experience the health that has always eluded me? If yes, I have to accept that I must follow the IP protocol 100% and go through the grieving process (and it is that) of the lifestyle and foods that I had before. For me, accepting that I can never have another Starbucks mocha was *really* hard. But I know how hard I have worked to retrain my body, and even in maintenance I'm just not going to be able to tolerate all those carbs (and that insane amount of sugar). I know it won't be worth the taste and comfort of a mocha to feel how crappy it will make me feel. I will just be forever different food wise.

If I can't accept that, don't want to do this 100%, then I don't think I should be doing it all. It doesn't matter if 99% of 90%ers DID reach goal (though it sounds like most don't.) I know my body--I would be the one person who doesn't experience the success I want. And NOTHING else has worked for me, so either I surrender completely to this one thing that WILL help me get healthy or I choose to eat the things I want that, even though healthier than literally EVERYONE else I know, will keep me 100 pounds overweight. It simply is what it is.

But, it comes down to surrender. Surrender to IP or surrender to obesity. It might seem unfair, but there just isn't a true 90%. I said this before, but it is 100% and progressing or 0% and regressing.

Know that I am the LAST person who would be saying this, but at some point that tiny little taste just isn't worth the wrecking ball it will be to your progress. Two weeks ago I would NOT have believed I would WANT to say no to just one almond when dishing up my kids' trail mix, but I do now. The temptation and desire is still there, but I think, "No, Tami. You have worked SO hard. That one almond is not worth the chain reaction your body will have, and you learned the hard way to know you WILL have it. It's not fair, but it IS what is. Surrender to health."

I really didn't think I could do this. But I am, so I know you can, too. You don't have to be ruled by a desire to make things taste better. And, for real, you can make things taste amazing with 100% OP allowed stuff! But that mental battle matters so much, because if you think you are missing out on something "better" that isn't 100% OP then the delicious 100% OP options are never going to satisfy.

But you can do this. Surrender to health!

YES!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:28 AM   #433  

S/C/G: 376 RNY / 283 IP / 247.2 / 160

Height: 5'7"

Aww, thanks, ladies!

I think the best part of being 100% OP is that when you stall it, like me this week, the scale inexplicably jumps up 2 pounds, you don't freak out. If I had allowed even tiny cheats, a finger lick of "how different is this from EVOO?" avocado, for example, I'd be all screwy in my head. And feeling like a failure who should just accept obesity would be HARD to fight when tempted. Heck, I'd feel tempted just because the scale went nuts.

But being 100% means I can breathe, stay OP, and if something really is wrong we can start assessing what it might be. So not only am I preventing further problems, I am not covering up a real problem with cheats, AND I'm not wasting time if there's a real problem with getting back OP.

Tomorrow at my WI I can say, "Here's my honest food journal. The scale jumped two pounds. See any reasons why?" and get rolling. And if it is just a random weird thing my body did that will self-correct being 100% OP then I don't have to change anything.

I dunno about anyone else, but eliminating the opportunity for guilt and freakouts is almost--allllllmost--better than the actual weight loss!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:31 AM   #434  

S/C/G: 376 RNY / 283 IP / 247.2 / 160

Height: 5'7"

But also...if I can't follow strict rules for at most a year then how do I expect to follow less strict rules but for the rest of my life? That's what I meant by if someone isn't ready to do this, be real about that and don't do it. There's not even shame in that--you gotta do what works for you and for some people this just isn't worth it. Those of us that do this aren't morally superior to those who don't. But let's be real with ourselves wherever we are on this journey.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #435  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
But also...if I can't follow strict rules for at most a year then how do I expect to follow less strict rules but for the rest of my life? That's what I meant by if someone isn't ready to do this, be real about that and don't do it. There's not even shame in that--you gotta do what works for you and for some people this just isn't worth it. Those of us that do this aren't morally superior to those who don't. But let's be real with ourselves wherever we are on this journey.
This s so true. Nothing says you have to do this. So if you invest the time and money to make the change(and even if you do alternatives, healthy foods are expensive!) then do it right.
Closed Thread