Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #361  

S/C/G: 376 RNY / 283 IP / 247.2 / 160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Yeah you! drd is right - it's the little steps that count because they all add up. It really is the key to success on this diet I think.

And thank you for the birthday wishes! I had a wonderful day - even got to watch the Mariners win! Hooray!
Mariners?? Whaaa? Where are you from? We are HUGE Seattle sports fans! We used to live in Seattle but, like so many, had kids and loved over to the Eastside. I'm a Washingtonian born and raised (Quincy, Republic, Spokane, and now Seattle / suburbs) and my husband, born & raised in MT, has been here for about 12 years.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #362  

Oh! And guys!! 100% OP since Friday and I am down 6 pounds (since FRIDAY) and that's WITH it being TOM. Realllllly helps inspire me to stick this out. And my mind is changing. No, one small serving of meat at BBQ with sugar in the marinade won't make me fatter, but it WILL set me back on all the hormonal progress in altering my body's chemistry and cravings. Sooooooo not worth the minor convenience of bringing my own food.

Also, I realized something: yes, I feel left out in certain ways at parties where I can't eat what everyone else is. But those couple of hours are not worth the large chunks of life where I feel left out of LIFE. Fortifies my mind to be steel against the desire to just give into being fat.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #363  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamila View Post
Also, I realized something: yes, I feel left out in certain ways at parties where I can't eat what everyone else is. But those couple of hours are not worth the large chunks of life where I feel left out of LIFE. Fortifies my mind to be steel against the desire to just give into being fat.
You know what I've started telling myself?
It is only my perception that EVERYONE is eating xyz. So many people have food allergies/sensitivities that everyone seems to be picky about something

Another gal used to say that skinny people are picky eaters and we need to start being picky eaters, as well.

I view it this way: I can think about how much I "miss" that food or I can look at the food and what it has done to me. And most of the foods I avoid make me fat or bloated or make me crave more (which then makes me fat).
Old 07-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #364  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
You know what I've started telling myself?
It is only my perception that EVERYONE is eating xyz. So many people have food allergies/sensitivities that everyone seems to be picky about something

Another gal used to say that skinny people are picky eaters and we need to start being picky eaters, as well.

I view it this way: I can think about how much I "miss" that food or I can look at the food and what it has done to me. And most of the foods I avoid make me fat or bloated or make me crave more (which then makes me fat).
I get that. But it's not been wanting "bad" stuff for me so far. It's not being able to eat ANYTHING at the BBQs and baby showers I have been at. So while many people can eat from the fruit tray or the gluten free or dairy free options, I am drinking a mango shake and kidding the joy of snacking on carrots to feel healthy.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #365  

I think the hardest part is the stuff I know I can eat later, like bacon wrapped jalapeņos, just not now. Wishing I was in maintenance and could eat good fats again.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #366  

Quote:
I get that. But it's not been wanting "bad" stuff for me so far. It's not being able to eat ANYTHING at the BBQs and baby showers I have been at. So while many people can eat from the fruit tray or the gluten free or dairy free options, I am drinking a mango shake and kidding the joy of snacking on carrots to feel healthy.
It really is about changing your thought toward it.
I often eat before I go. Then it is "no thanks, I just ate" and then focus on the people & relationships and not the food. What I've learned is that I was eating way more than everyone else was at those events.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #367  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
I think the hardest part is the stuff I know I can eat later, like bacon wrapped jalapeņos, just not now. Wishing I was in maintenance and could eat good fats again.
This process takes time, but it needs to. The time it takes helps in making change more permanent. I actually really, really miss my daily lunch salad if I do not have it. It just seems to complete my lunch. The fatter me, would not have, but over time, I came to really enjoy it because my taste change. Now being able to have the tomatoes on maintenance whenever I want is a treat, not some fattening desert. I really do not feel like I miss that much. I can have any food now, but I really do not desire that. Stick with this, and you will get there too and feel better. Hang in there.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:09 AM   #368  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Tamila, I do appreciate your honest reflections. It's like parents that tell their kids "If you don't know, ask the teacher. For everything you don't know, there are 10 kids who won't be brave enough to put their hands up to ask". You bring up a lot of great points that we all struggle with. Hearing good advice to you is helping a lot of people who have the same questions/concerns/frustrations. However it is just great to see you wrapping your head around this all and changing your mental focus. Well done!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #369  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
Tamila, I do appreciate your honest reflections. It's like parents that tell their kids "If you don't know, ask the teacher. For everything you don't know, there are 10 kids who won't be brave enough to put their hands up to ask". You bring up a lot of great points that we all struggle with. Hearing good advice to you is helping a lot of people who have the same questions/concerns/frustrations. However it is just great to see you wrapping your head around this all and changing your mental focus. Well done!
Tamila: I second this! Keep goin' girl and you will get to that place where your food tastes will change and you won't be so 'turned on' by bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos (although that could be something interesting in moderation on maintenance for your low carb meal as long as it's not batter dipped). You might feel like one... or not... instead of craving it.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #370  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

I usually eat before a get together, and I volunteer to bring a green salad or veggies. My friends try to be supportive, but it gets pretty confusing for them if they are trying to figure out something they can bring that fits in for me as well. I tell them not to worry about it, I'll have things I can eat. It's hard for them to let go of the idea. My Mom used to get me a bit crazy quizzing me if I could eat an apple, I'd say "no fruit mom" and then she'd say, how about some blueberries.... this went on for about 4 iterations of various fruits. All with my same response of "no fruit mom". Sheesh! Love loved loved my Momma, but she was stubborn and was determined to find a fruit that I could eat LOL. I hear she told my sister that this wasn't a good diet, Barb can't eat fruit! hahaha... It's not can't forever.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #371  

I am glad my struggles are helping people I am just a person who isn't going to BS everyone and pretend I have it together once I realize I don't. I find in life that no one ever really "has it all together" with zero doubts or areas they feel need attention. The most damaging people I find are those who refuse to admit this and get uppity about how if we all could just be like them it would be a great world. I also find that for every person put off by my transparency at least 5 others are super refreshed and encouraged by it. This just spurs me on toward more transparency

But great news to report: I am down 23 pounds and 20.75" in five weeks. Whaaaaa? And after losing 10 lbs of lean mass in the first 2.5 weeks and upping me to 5 packets a day I only lost .7 lbs of lean mass in the last 2.5 weeks. Woohoo!!

But the biggest change is mentally--I no longer see licking the avocado off my fingers as not a big enough deal to ruin my progress. I now see it as not just numerical calories and fat grams and carb count but as something that will hormonally affect my body's response to all the other hard work I am doing. Factually, 12 peanuts should NOT cause a 4 pound weight gain and then stall. But for my body, it did. Sucky hand to be dealt but it's the one I have and for me there is no 90% or 99.9% to be had. I am either 100% and progressing or 0% and regressing. I am finally surrendering to that as being what it is.

The awesome results really help, too
Old 07-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #372  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
But the biggest change is mentally--.... I am either 100% and progressing or 0% and regressing. I am finally surrendering to that as being what it is.

What music do we need to post for you on the music thread -- "Surrender" by Cheap Trick (wow -- that's an oldie that came out of the cobwebs in my mind...)
Old 07-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #373  
Started IP 6/25/14

S/C/G: 309/see ticker/160

Height: 5'5

I'm going to belong to this club! No cheating for me! You guys will keep me honest! Loved this from above ^^: "I am either 100% and progressing or 0% and regressing" -- Perfect!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #374  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
I am glad my struggles are helping people I am just a person who isn't going to BS everyone and pretend I have it together once I realize I don't. I find in life that no one ever really "has it all together" with zero doubts or areas they feel need attention. The most damaging people I find are those who refuse to admit this and get uppity about how if we all could just be like them it would be a great world. I also find that for every person put off by my transparency at least 5 others are super refreshed and encouraged by it. This just spurs me on toward more transparency

But great news to report: I am down 23 pounds and 20.75" in five weeks. Whaaaaa? And after losing 10 lbs of lean mass in the first 2.5 weeks and upping me to 5 packets a day I only lost .7 lbs of lean mass in the last 2.5 weeks. Woohoo!!

But the biggest change is mentally--I no longer see licking the avocado off my fingers as not a big enough deal to ruin my progress. I now see it as not just numerical calories and fat grams and carb count but as something that will hormonally affect my body's response to all the other hard work I am doing. Factually, 12 peanuts should NOT cause a 4 pound weight gain and then stall. But for my body, it did. Sucky hand to be dealt but it's the one I have and for me there is no 90% or 99.9% to be had. I am either 100% and progressing or 0% and regressing. I am finally surrendering to that as being what it is.

Peanuts are the worse for me. I stay away from them because it is instant weight gain and water retention.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:26 PM   #375  
Started IP May 2, 2014

Height: 5'4"

My favorite thread to lurk and sometimes post. I cannot say enough how grateful I am to find the IP solution and the marvelous people holding up the fort here. My 2 month anniversary today and down exactly 20 pounds. Lots of work in many ways but so worth the health benefits coming my way. I am so proud of myself and delighted to make this journey with each of you.

Joanne
Closed Thread