Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #166  
Diane on track July 2014
 
IP43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,906

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Default

I don't want to steer you wrong so google it on a recipe thread, BUT I think the gist of it is to use the jicama with your sweetener and cinnamon and top it with the Oatmeal breakfast pouch as the "crumble" and bake like you would an apple crisp. The jicama will cook to an applish consistency and texture.

Last edited by IP43; 06-12-2014 at 08:53 PM.
IP43 is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #167  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14
 
ChipnDip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 763

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
Lol -- I was so excited to see a "weird" vegetable in the store once that I really HOPED was jicama. It turned out to be a chinese vegetable that was huge but tasted like celery. Soooo not what I needed to make the famous "fake apple crisp"....sigh... Oh well. I'll keep checkin'. You never know!
Was it celeriac? I always think I found it when I see that too.
ChipnDip is offline  
Old 06-12-2014, 10:29 PM   #168  
Diane on track July 2014
 
IP43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,906

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
Was it celeriac? I always think I found it when I see that too.
YEP! I knew it was something "celery like". What the heck do you do with THAT veggie??
IP43 is offline  
Old 06-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #169  
Started IP 2/13/13
 
SylviesGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Posts: 589

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Default

Just to make sure you all are looking in the right place -- though I can surely believe that it is simply not there -- I usually find it in the unrefrigerated portion of the produce department, around the ginger root.
SylviesGirl is offline  
Old 06-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #170  
Senior Member
 
canadjineh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,372

S/C/G: 163/135/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 53 yrs old

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
Just to make sure you all are looking in the right place -- though I can surely believe that it is simply not there -- I usually find it in the unrefrigerated portion of the produce department, around the ginger root.
Looks almost like a smooth, flattish, beige turnip, lol. Hope that helps. Ask your produce guy at the store - that's their job and they may also have some recipes as well. Safeway does, anyhow. You can google it for an image & that might help you know what to look for.
Liana
canadjineh is offline  
Old 06-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #171  
Diane on track July 2014
 
IP43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,906

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
From a previous IP page on celeriac....

"This is (imho) even better than the cauliflower mashed potatoes. I think it's even better than real mashed potatoes!

2 large celery roots (aka "celeriac"), about softball size
salt
1/8c to 1/4 c EVOO
a dash of white pepper

Peel the celery roots: use a knife, not a veggie peeler. These things are tough!
Cut into small chunks, about 2" square
Boil salted water and add the root
simmer until soft, about 30 minutes
Drain and put into a food processor
Add the EVOO and white pepper and process until smooth and creamy. May need a dash more of salt. "


OOOOh... me likey! I can't be bothered to find a big cheering smiley, so "imagine me" clapping my hands with glee in "Bigger" size --
IP43 is offline  
Old 06-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #172  
Senior Member
 
catlady1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 790

S/C/G: 206/165.9/140

Height: 5'2"

Default

I found fresh rhubarb at the grocery store a few nights ago for $1.99 a pound! I was so excited I bought ALL the rhubarb. Took it home and portioned it out into 2 cup amounts and froze it. I haven't been able to find it frozen at any of my local stores and fresh ran out a while ago.
catlady1981 is offline  
Old 06-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #173  
Senior Member
 
canadjineh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,372

S/C/G: 163/135/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 53 yrs old

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
I found fresh rhubarb at the grocery store a few nights ago for $1.99 a pound! I was so excited I bought ALL the rhubarb. Took it home and portioned it out into 2 cup amounts and froze it. I haven't been able to find it frozen at any of my local stores and fresh ran out a while ago.
RE: rhubarb - having three prolific plants, I get a huge laugh out of the $4.99 lb price for 'organic local rhubarb' at the grocery store. Say WHAT!
No self respecting bug would dare eat the poisonous leaves or the sour stalks. I've never had anything attack mine. 'Organic' in the case of rhubarb is just a marketing gimmick! And I end up giving bags of it away as I can't freeze it all or cook it up and stick it all in the fridge. I think it may be sneaking steroids behind my back , hahahaha!

Liana
canadjineh is offline  
Old 06-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #174  
IP start Aug 2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 8,219

S/C/G: 260.2/165

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
RE: rhubarb - having three prolific plants, I get a huge laugh out of the $4.99 lb price for 'organic local rhubarb' at the grocery store. Say WHAT!
No self respecting bug would dare eat the poisonous leaves or the sour stalks. I've never had anything attack mine. 'Organic' in the case of rhubarb is just a marketing gimmick! And I end up giving bags of it away as I can't freeze it all or cook it up and stick it all in the fridge. I think it may be sneaking steroids behind my back , hahahaha!

Liana
I container garden but I've already deicided to buy a big-A pot & a rhubarb plant. Sick of these stores and their prices and not carrying the frozen anymore.
lisa32989 is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 02:43 AM   #175  
Member
 
tamila's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 68

S/C/G: 376 RNY / 283 IP / 247.2 / 160

Height: 5'7"

Default

Has anyone tried daikon radish mash and/or chips? No celeriac at Whole Foods so I'm trying the daikon!
tamila is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 02:44 AM   #176  
Member
 
tamila's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 68

S/C/G: 376 RNY / 283 IP / 247.2 / 160

Height: 5'7"

Default

No jicama, either. WF fail. But they're sensitive to seasonal stuffs.
tamila is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #177  
Started IP 04/22/2013
Thread Starter
 
Ruth Ann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,943

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamila View Post
No jicama, either. WF fail. But they're sensitive to seasonal stuffs.
Try QFC - they always have jicama. Just ask the produce guy to cut it open before you buy it, nothing worse than getting home and finding it brown inside. They had celeriac the last time I was in too.
Ruth Ann is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #178  
Started IP 04/22/2013
Thread Starter
 
Ruth Ann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,943

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I container garden but I've already deicided to buy a big-A pot & a rhubarb plant. Sick of these stores and their prices and not carrying the frozen anymore.
That's my plan too. It's $3.99 fresh right now (which really isn't too bad) at the grocery store. Plan to hit the saturday market today and see if I can't find some local grown cheaper (along with all kinds of other good veggies).
Ruth Ann is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #179  
Diane on track July 2014
 
IP43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,906

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamila View Post
Has anyone tried daikon radish mash and/or chips? No celeriac at Whole Foods so I'm trying the daikon!
THAT'S IT -- not celery root but daikon radish that I was thinking about. But I think when the store clerk talked to me he said something about it being like a chinese celery. I honestly don't remember tasting it so can't tell you one thing about it.
IP43 is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #180  
Started IP 2/13/13
 
SylviesGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Posts: 589

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamila View Post
Has anyone tried daikon radish mash and/or chips? No celeriac at Whole Foods so I'm trying the daikon!
Whole Foods will have jicama about half the time. And when they do, it is more reasonably priced than my general grocery store. Keep an eye open.
SylviesGirl is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:56 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.