Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #31  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miholmes View Post
Anyone else have this? I think I worry too much about my "homeade" meal. Is it okay to have the burger with no bun, tons of pickles and lettuce? (I posted the question about it here last week) Anyway I'm seeing results and that's fantastic...but the old cravings are still there.

So I was kind of toying with a 1 cheat day a month. Just to kind of have something to hold out until. Is this a terrible idea? I know it sets me back 3 days. But in the long run, I'm wondering if it's worth it.... idk.

I mean I don't want to go hog wild, but a piece of cake on my birthday with some ice cream, or that special dinner you love. Am I justifying? Is it okay? I know I'm on phase 1 until the weight is lost and most people want to plow through until it's lost.

But taking a breath every month, a bad idea?

~Michael
Michael - your burger sounds absolutely fine - enjoy!

I suspect your cravings will subside as you go along. Seriously, 90% of weight loss is mental and it takes time to retrain your brain to not want things. I found identifying why I wanted to eat things when I wasn't hungry was invaluable. Is it just the time I usually snack? Am I tired and grumpy? Bored? You get the idea - you are trying to change your relationship with food along with losing the weight and if you treat food as a "cure" for feelings, boredom, etc. you run the risk of just putting it all back on. If you are thinking of it as a "reward" for staying OP the rest of the time, just remember "You're not a dog. Quit rewarding yourself with food."

In my opinion, planning a cheat or treat day once a week/month/whenever is not a good plan and not just because of the time or cost involved but because you want to learn better food behaviors. You know what all the food tastes like and it will all still be there after you have lost weight and gotten healthier. Quite honestly, once I hit maintenance I haven't even wanted most of stuff I thought I couldn't live without. Planning to go off plan on a regular basis just reinforces the idea that once you lose weight you can go back to eating like you did and we all know where that gets us!

Best of luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
Hope you all had a great weekend and a lovely Mother's Day. I had my 11th WI on Sat. and am at 25 lbs. lost so far! I'm so happy about that. I need to make a spreadsheet to track inches lost since I haven't done that. The restricted test panned out. I just can't eat them. They slow down my losses big time.
So glad you figured it out! Some people are just super carb sensitive and it looks like you fall into that category unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotian_Sweetie View Post
I think I may be having some sort of allergy/sensitivity reaction to the IP.

It started out my cheeks were warm and red/flushed during the first couple days on product. (I thought I might have a bit of a bug or just the extra protein).

Then Friday I got a headache, which continued into Saturday and increased to migraine level by Saturday night. (I felt drained like a flu all day, and thought maybe it was an actual flu, or the 'keto-flu").

I noticed around Saturday morning that my skin seemed dry and rough around my mouth area but thought it was a new face wash so stopped using it. Removing the face product didn't help and now my face is dry and tight with a light rash - again mostly around my mouth, chin, and cheek area.

I am going in to see my coach today for my 1 week weigh in. Happy with the weight loss this week, but am now quite worried about the rash.
You might get checked for a soy allergy - that's really the most common culprit. So sorry you are having issues, hope you feel better soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirishrose View Post
*sigh* I am having a hard day. Hard week? month? I'm not really sure. I received some personal news that is just weighing heavy on my heart.
I haven't been strictly on plan for a week, and have decided today that I am recommitting myself to the plan - it's HARD. I dropped my coach because I started alternative products and my coach has a strict "only IP food" rule. I just couldn't justify it any longer when I found the food so much cheaper. But not having a coach has made me really lax on the strictness of the program. I also have not been sticking with my supplements. I just feel alone.
You aren't alone - you have all of us! Sorry you are having a hard time but you can always check in here and someone will be around to give you a pep talk. The important part is you are recommitting to getting back OP - yeah for you!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 230.4/209.2/120

Height: 5'2"

I've been MIA lately. I had a planned cheat weekend during Easter & then I had a national exam as well as some family issues that gave me a stupid excuse to stay off plan.

As of today, I'm OP 100% with no more excuses. I'm lucky that I managed to only gain 4 lbs & a few inches. I am going to stay OP until I'm at my GW so that I don't have to go through all of this again. I am doing this for not only my family but mostly for MYSELF. This is about my health & happiness. NO MORE EXCUSES!!!!

(Sorry needed to say that "out loud" so I can be held accountable.)
Old 05-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #33  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Feeling pretty good today, last night at Mothers Day dinner with my brother, sister in law, my nephews and my own children one of my nephews says "auntie Amber I don't think you're fat I think you're normal" which was nice because he has some filter issues and has prior to this diet made comments about my big butt. I'm also sitting here realizing I need to take two pieces out of my watch, it's too loose. Pants are fitting good, I think I am going to need a new size soon and that's always fun. Now I was going through my jeans and I got rid of all 22 and above jeans, but now I have 20's and 18's to get rid of but for some reason I'm having a hard time getting rid of them, especially 18's. I've worn them for so long. I'm wondering if I should hold on to them till I've successfully maintained for a year or am I setting myself up?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #34  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishposhappelsauce View Post
This is embarrassing, I hate to be like this and feel really rude but I find myself staring at other's people plates, not because I want what they have but because I'm calculating how many calories or carbs are in that meal. I never say what I'm thinking of course, but I need to relearn to keep my nose on my own plate again.
I've been catching myself doing the same thing. I used to be the biggest in the room but not so much anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles1212 View Post
Hi everyone,
I am at day 12 on IP. I lost 4lbs the first week and go tomorrow for wk 2. I have been 100% on program. By my scale no wt loss this week. I was expecting better results. I have always had trouble with lower calorie diet slowing down my metabolism. I feel great but am frustrated. Has anyone else experienced this so early in the program? Thanks for all your help
I have tried twice for DH to follow the program. 1 pound after 11 days the first time. Tried again for a week and didn't lose a pound. The attraction the the plan was rapid loss. I'm averaging 3.5 a week. He has no interest anymore.

Quote:
Dreams...last night I had several dreams about eating, eating food I really wanted and wasn't on my diet. And I woke up feeling horribly guilty. (but not gonna lie, in the dream the food was fantastic)

Anyone else have this? I think I worry too much about my "homeade" meal. Is it okay to have the burger with no bun, tons of pickles and lettuce? (I posted the question about it here last week) Anyway I'm seeing results and that's fantastic...but the old cravings are still there.

So I was kind of toying with a 1 cheat day a month. Just to kind of have something to hold out until. Is this a terrible idea? I know it sets me back 3 days. But in the long run, I'm wondering if it's worth it.... idk.

I mean I don't want to go hog wild, but a piece of cake on my birthday with some ice cream, or that special dinner you love. Am I justifying? Is it okay? I know I'm on phase 1 until the weight is lost and most people want to plow through until it's lost.

But taking a breath every month, a bad idea?

~Michael
DON'T DO IT!! You can make cake out of an IP product and add some WF marshmallow topping. It will be maintenance before you know it. One cheat turns into more. Just read some of the other posts. If you think you are strong enough to keep it to only one day a month than you are also strong enough to not do it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
Feeling pretty good today, last night at Mothers Day dinner with my brother, sister in law, my nephews and my own children one of my nephews says "auntie Amber I don't think you're fat I think you're normal" which was nice because he has some filter issues and has prior to this diet made comments about my big butt. I'm also sitting here realizing I need to take two pieces out of my watch, it's too loose. Pants are fitting good, I think I am going to need a new size soon and that's always fun. Now I was going through my jeans and I got rid of all 22 and above jeans, but now I have 20's and 18's to get rid of but for some reason I'm having a hard time getting rid of them, especially 18's. I've worn them for so long. I'm wondering if I should hold on to them till I've successfully maintained for a year or am I setting myself up?
I'm the same. I got rid of my biggest, but some things I have kept But I need to get rid of them. When I was on WW in 2012, I kept my biggest pants as a reminder. Guess what I was wearing when I weighed in for IP? If I didn't have all those pants to grow back into, maybe I would have smartened up sooner!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
I took a bunch of 18/20's to the resale store this weekend. I'm still wearing 16's but they are getting saggy/baggy. I didn't get big money but it was liberating to get those things out of my closet. I said goodbye to the pounds that put me in those clothes and goodbye to the clothes as well. Granted, now my closet is pretty sparse. I think hanging on to the old things is a bad idea for me because if something is a little too tight I have a "go to" pair of jeans or whatever instead of saying "Whoah" what's going on here.

Went shopping in my closet tonight and found some 14's that I can get into and it didn't cost me anything to have some new stuff to wear, but I was dancing around and doing fist pumps I was so happy to see 14 again! So moving out of 16's and into 14's is my NSV for today.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 218/197.2/150

Height: 5'6"

Once again, thanks for the kind words. Got through day 1 of radiation - "only" 24 to go
Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 140/138/115 (Reboot-Nov. 2015)

Height: 5'-3 1/2"

I am off to Vancouver for afew days on business and hope I will be able to stay OP. I wil be with a group of people which is always difficult. Doing ok otherwise. In phase 2 now and up and down a bit and want to go back to phase 1 and not even after a week. I didn't reach my goal since my coach figure I would lose more now and hope I do. I even got my boyfriend to try IP and he has done it for 2 days so far and lost 4 pounds. He now might seriously plan to do it as well.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post

DON'T DO IT!! One cheat turns into more. Just read some of the other posts. If you think you are strong enough to keep it to only one day a month than you are also strong enough to not do it !
LOVE LOVE LOVE - - if you think you are strong enough to keep a cheat to only one day a month, then you are also strong enough to NOT DO IT!!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycheetea View Post
I'm pretty new to IP, finishing up Week 1. This forum's been a huge help! I do like the recipes that are posted, but am having a hard time finding them/keeping up. Is there an easier way to look at the recipes than going through each post of the multiple recipe threads? Sometimes I see one I like, go away and then try to find it again by googling/forum search, but even then don't necessarily find it again...
Several people have tried organizing but it's never panned out
Just make sure to cut/paste the ones you want into a word doc

Quote:
Is it okay to have the burger with no bun, tons of pickles and lettuce? (I posted the question about it here last week) Anyway I'm seeing results and that's fantastic...but the old cravings are still there.

Burger sounds great!

Re cheat
I've got 2 takes (maybe 3)

First there is the old "If you allow cheat it'll be easier to cheat again" I wholeheartedly believe that. All you need to do is read for a few weeks here and see it over and over again.

But... Extremely Low carb diets can be hard on the thyroid. I am having thyroid problems that I may not have had had taken a break every so often. There is a schedule for cycling on/off in Lyle McDonald's The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook (PDF available online).

And...there is a thing called mental health, also.
On this one you have to really know yourself. I know I didn't trust myself to get back on. I had 10 months without any planned cheat days or meals. Had my thyroid not been compromised, I probably would have stuck with p1 to goal.

One more...staying OP teaches us what is REALLY important. And it is not cake or a special dinner. It is the people around us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotian_Sweetie View Post
I think I may be having some sort of allergy/sensitivity reaction to the IP.

It started out my cheeks were warm and red/flushed during the first couple days on product. (I thought I might have a bit of a bug or just the extra protein).

Then Friday I got a headache, which continued into Saturday and increased to migraine level by Saturday night. (I felt drained like a flu all day, and thought maybe it was an actual flu, or the 'keto-flu").

I noticed around Saturday morning that my skin seemed dry and rough around my mouth area but thought it was a new face wash so stopped using it. Removing the face product didn't help and now my face is dry and tight with a light rash - again mostly around my mouth, chin, and cheek area.

I am going in to see my coach today for my 1 week weigh in. Happy with the weight loss this week, but am now quite worried about the rash.
The two most common causes for this are soy and Sucralose.
Try cutting out soy and see if you improve. If not, cut out Sucralose (brand name Splenda)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirishrose View Post
*sigh* I am having a hard day. Hard week? month? I'm not really sure. I received some personal news that is just weighing heavy on my heart.
I haven't been strictly on plan for a week, and have decided today that I am recommitting myself to the plan - it's HARD. I dropped my coach because I started alternative products and my coach has a strict "only IP food" rule. I just couldn't justify it any longer when I found the food so much cheaper. But not having a coach has made me really lax on the strictness of the program. I also have not been sticking with my supplements. I just feel alone.
Yes ma'am, it's hard.

You are definitely NOT alone. I'm the one sitting at the same weight for a LONG time due to thyroid problems. The alternative, however is worse.

This REALLY has helped me:

Dieting is hard.
Being overweight (obese/morbidly obese) is hard.
Maintenance is hard.
Pick your hard.

Last edited by lisa32989; 05-12-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post

I'm the same. I got rid of my biggest, but some things I have kept But I need to get rid of them. When I was on WW in 2012, I kept my biggest pants as a reminder. Guess what I was wearing when I weighed in for IP? If I didn't have all those pants to grow back into, maybe I would have smartened up sooner!
ChipnDip and Amber LS - I am very careful NOT to keep any clothes that are my former size. The moment I can squeeze into the smaller size, off goes a big bag to the thrift store.

As to whether this is effective or not, I do know that there are times that I am facing temptation where I remind myself I have no larger clothes to wear - it does help.

I think it is important to let yourself know that you WILL NOT go backwards and by ceremoniously getting rid of larger clothes you are reinforcing the direction you want to go.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 230/230/150

Default Question for you veterans

Day 3 and I am finding that the powders I have to mix I don't care for much... But the ready made drinks are awesome as far as protein drinks go... Can't wait to go get a double shot of espresso today over ice and then add my ready made vanilla !! DO YOU VETERANS find that the extra caffeine hinders you weight loss??

Old 05-13-2014, 06:50 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 218/197.2/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat360 View Post
Day 3 and I am finding that the powders I have to mix I don't care for much... But the ready made drinks are awesome as far as protein drinks go... Can't wait to go get a double shot of espresso today over ice and then add my ready made vanilla !! DO YOU VETERANS find that the extra caffeine hinders you weight loss??

I'm not an expert, and I don't drink coffee, but I do drink one, sometimes two, large unsweetened iced teas with Truvia and it has not hindered my weight loss. OTHER things have (going OP for some mental health, now back on) but the tea hasn't. Congratulations for beginning your wonderful journey!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #43  
Started IP 4/19/14

S/C/G: see ticker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLover View Post
I'm not an expert, and I don't drink coffee, but I do drink one, sometimes two, large unsweetened iced teas with Truvia and it has not hindered my weight loss. OTHER things have (going OP for some mental health, now back on) but the tea hasn't. Congratulations for beginning your wonderful journey!

I, like LakeLover, am not an expert. That being said, I have been very happy with my weight loss so far, and I drink something caffeinated every day. Just remember to drink extra water cup-for-cup in addition to your regular daily water intake, and remember to watch what you put in your coffee! Sweetener packets add carbs! I stick to liquid stevia (comes in favors!) and liquid generic sucralose (Splenda). Both have no hidden carby fillers.

I'm drinking my breakfast right now! Cold espresso over ice with a vanilla rtd, with a few drops of English Toffee liquid stevia. Ahh-mazing!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Quote:

It is best to have just one cup with caffeine and then either stop or switch to some decaf. If you have more than one cup with caffeine, then you must add one cup of water for each cup of coffee (or caffeinated tea). I would rather not have to add water!!

Regarding packets you mix:
- it is highly likely your taste will start changing soon as you get away from old foods and eat more "cleanly". You will probably end up liking more of them than you think!
- be sure to use cold cold water and let them sit to thicken a bit. If you put in the freezer briefly, you get a nice "frosty"
- many people blend the shakes with a cup of spinach... Apparently you don't really taste it but it makes the shake thicker and richer. (Counts against your two lunch cups of veg... And is a bonus if you struggle to get all yours in. I LOVE my veggies so never want to add to a shake, but many do.)
- you can use those pudding/shake packets to make waffles then top with WF syrup (even people who don't care for their salad dressings usually LOVE their syrups!)

Last edited by JLUS; 05-13-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 230/230/150

Thank you all for the feedback... This is the first time I've ever used a forum like this to aid me in weight loss! What a great tool have a great day!!

Closed Thread