Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHELLE W View Post
I had 2 pieces of blackened catfish along with my veggies for my dinner today. Should I be worried about the seasoning in the fish? There were not very much healthy options at the restaurant we ate at our pre mother's day lunch, so I did my best. But just worried about the seasonings on the fish.
It probably would not be enough sugar to take you out of ketosis... But the salt might add some temporary water weight.

At restaurants, don't be afraid to see what foods they have on the menu and then request what YOU want prepared the way YOU need it... It might have worked to ask for the fish with no seasonings or sauce grilled dry. Or if you see chicken breast smothered in sauce, cheese etc. Ask for a breast grilled dry. I even go so far as to look at all the veggies they offer on the menu and then select,double veggies requesting the veggies I want even if they are not offered with the main item I am ordering.

I have always found the server willing to work with me AND to take something back if they got it wrong!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default Snacking behaviors and metabolism

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Sorry to say but approx. 68% of the calories in those things is from fat. Something you might be able to use in maintenance ONCE IN A WHILE but not as a P1-3 protein The percentage shown after the fat grams is the percentage of daily suggested allowance of fat that 1 serving (piece/stick) provides & not the percentage of calories in the product that is fat. Hard to explain...
Like grades of ground beef - surprisingly 82% of the calories in regular ground beef comes from fat and even extra lean ground beef USDA 57% of the calories come from fat. http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...an---30%25-fat)

A better snack (though probably not P1 as there may be sugars involved) is beef or turkey jerky - not the chopped and formed kind though, real meat slices marinated & dried.

Sorry, but I'm sure the coach will tell you too, just Also I just noticed there is dextrose in the jalapeno one = ADDED SUGAR

Liana
Not to start a controversy for those on P1...as there is a snack built into the day, and it is needed.

But it is time to come to terms with the idea snacking is probably one of the behaviors that contributes to weight gain and obesity long term. During your time on this diet that is a big thing to start to consider, and is not one our society and lifestyle in the western world embraces willingly.

There is the opportunity to take hold of the behaviors that need to be modified while on any diet. For maintenance the LACK of much snacking is possibly one that has been ignored. There is a myth that frequent small meals and snacks contribute to weight loss or maintenance. In reality, snacking between meals continually causes the insulin levels to rise and prevents fat burning.

Dr. Oz recently did a session with a physician ( ??Trying to remember his name...so sorry senior moments prevail sometimes???) who explained myths about weight loss for most people...and the "smaller meals and snacking often" was a HUGE myth for most because of this metabolic fact.

Seeing how it was explained on the air was simple and very enlightening for me. In myself, and I will let others deduce if this is a physiologic response they may need to manage in their own metabolic future... meals are meant to supply energy...and probably more than/or even one snack a day, which should be small and energy replenishing may be a bad habit or expectation for the future. In fact rethinking snacking altogether was the outcome for me. Quite honestly...we who have weight issues (and that includes someone who has reached goal...) really need to decide if a snack is necessary...and perhaps not be so eager to find something too tasty or tempting! The metabolic scenario that happens after snacking is not helpful to weight loss OR maintaining...

If I can find this segment on line I'll post it; but the upshot is to imagine how your body carries around the glycogen to burn for energy from your last meal...( They actually used a golf cart and drove in circles, and threw something in the back every time you "ate" or consumed any calories)
The ideal is for most or ALL that you are putting in the back of the cart gets burned before the next meal so it does not get converted to fat, as more stuff goes into the cart. Best is to rarely have too much in your "cart" so that can actually happen. Ergo...the cart that always has something in it is constantly replenishing fat stores ..as well as energy because you just ate again.
Obviously, with a faulty metabolism, or as we age there is the GOOD chance you will not burn at the fastest rate anyway. Hmmm...eating more often leads to the opportunity for fat to be replenished...eating becomes not just an energy resource. It's a ticket to fat-ville for a lot of people.

If this makes sense...rethink snacking and your attitude about what a snack is....especially for maintenance. Your meals will be bigger...your calories are going up...Do you REALLY need snacks? P1-2 are time to get your head wrapped around this fact that, is reality for most of us. And be honest when you think about this...how does YOUR metabolism roll...??
We all already know the answer.....And I don't know anyone who is able to make the calendar go backwards...every year we burn less than the year before... NOT GOOD!!!

If this visual helps anyone...I'm glad...I will try to find the segment.

Last edited by 65X65; 05-11-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #33  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Happy Mother's Day!!!!

Question...beyond making your own, is there any jerky (beef or whatnot) that anyone has purchased that meets P1 standards? I saw that there are a lot of specialized "natural" products but couldn't find full nutrition info.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 230/230/150

Default Hoping to do a 360...starting today!

Today I start phase 1. I'm nervous, excited and a we bit broke now this week but from what I keep reading on these forums I know I made the right choice to start Ideal Protein!! Going to try the omelet this morning I hope I like the food. Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there

Old 05-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 203/166/155

Height: 5'3"

Day 38 for me and for the first time since I started program I am "wanting" a sandwich. I am big on food texture so I think it is the texture of the bread I am missing. Any suggestions/recommendations that might satisfy this?
Old 05-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #36  
Me back on the list!

S/C/G: 220/177/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Happy Mother's Day!

I am reflecting today on my IP journey so far and even though, I'm doing this for me, it has truly been a positive change for my husband and our daughters. Enjoy the day!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 170/166/140

Height: 5'8"

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #38  
IP 02/08/2014

S/C/G: 261/215/175

Height: 5'9"

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

It has been a rough two weeks for me. I went totally off plan for 10 days, I could make some excuses but I won't. I could have planned better for the situation but I didn't.

The good news is that I still managed to lose 1.4 lbs over those two weeks. Being back in ketosis feels great! Never thought I would say that but it is true. I'm bummed that this time threw off my 3lb/wk average but I am going to hard to work to get back there.

Anyway, I am glad to be back on track and ready for a great week!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Some people use Crystal Lite or Mio, but if you notice that you aren't getting the results you want it's a pretty safe bet to look at the 'added flavourings' since even though they may show 0/0/0 that just means they have less than 1g per serving - more than 1 serving can add up & affect weight loss. I know stevia is allowed as a sweetener for coffee and here in Canada the Krisda brand in powder packets also comes in French Vanilla and Amaretto, I think. I don't remember what other sweetener is allowed because I take my coffee black & plain. One of the others might remember. Also be careful what ingredients are in these flavourings - sometimes they are a sneaky source of gluten.
The powdered packets can have almost 1 carb each (maltodextrin is typically the filler)
Liquid additives reduce that risk
Sweet leaf brand stevia drops have flavors that work in coffee and water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully1961 View Post
Day 38 for me and for the first time since I started program I am "wanting" a sandwich. I am big on food texture so I think it is the texture of the bread I am missing. Any suggestions/recommendations that might satisfy this?
Check the recipe threads (links in post 1)
Rolls and breadsticks made from potato purée. Make a veggie sandwich!

Last edited by lisa32989; 05-11-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #40  
Started IP 4/19/14

S/C/G: see ticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully1961 View Post

There is a recipe for focaccia bread using the IP Potato Puree packet. You can find it in one of the Rainbow's Recipes threads (links to those are in the first post of this thread.) She also has recipes for soft pretzels, crumpets, and muffins.

Looking at the pictures, they might have the texture that you crave.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #41  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Happy Mothers Day to all the mamas on here!

I am excited for my trip (I leave Wednesday) and equally as excited to return and get back into phase 1! I have already been stocking up on alternatives and trying to eat more phase 2/3 to hopefully eliminate the phase 1 first week flu.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #42  
Started IP May 6, 2014

S/C/G: 250/ticker/180

Height: 5'1

Default Day 6

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms

Today is day six on IP for me. My week started out fabulous. I felt clear-headed, energetic, and positive. Then Friday evening I was pretty tired and had a low-medium headache. I went to bed pretty early (9:30 ish) but woke up still tired on Saturday. I tried to motor through Saturday but ended up so tired, foggy brained, and my headache was so bad that I was in bed asleep at 8:00PM. I slept until about 7:00 this morning, and am feeling a lot better. (Slightly 'hung over' feeling still but not nearly what I was feeling). I read that this could be the 'keto-flu' and/or that I might need to add some more salt in (I've been sprinkling it on my food lightly, but not really measuring so I am going to start trying to measure it better).

I attempted the pancakes this morning. It turned into a gloopy mess, so I read about the crispy cereal pancakes and made that instead. It was great! Almost like the real thing. I used the WF syrup and was very pleased. Yum! I ended up wasting a packet, but on the plus side, since the pancakes were restricted and the crispy cereal is not (I think?! - I will double check that one), that means I can have a restricted item later today instead. I will definitely be doing this again soon.

I am a daily weight tracker so have been checking things out daily. The numbers are going down and I am looking forward to my first official weigh in.

A quick question. If I started Tuesday, do I weigh in tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday? My coach just said to come back in in a week and I forgot to clarify.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #43  

Again, you are so right!
We recently had weekend guests and I didn't realize how little we (DH and I) snack until they were here snacking all the time!

This is a huge change for me over the last couple years. Definitely a change in the right direction!

I'll probably keep the snack down to one small item per day in maintenance, just like p1. And I'll make sure it has protein. A big one to control insulin production.

Last edited by lisa32989; 05-11-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #44  
Reboot: 11/28/16

S/C/G: 275/190/257.7

Height: 5'8"

Happy Mother's Day! Day fours for me feels much better than day 3. I was hungry and tired all day. Brought my daughter to a bday party where Pizza was bountiful. Hard! Drank a ton of h2o this am than made a coffee/cappuccino drink. Going to do my food prep for the week this evening, a big change for me.

I have a lovely Mother's Day brunch at a friends this afternoon. I'm bringing some things to snack on and feel strong and committed.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Again, you are so right!
We recently had weekend guests and I didn't realize how little we (DH and I) snack until they were here snacking all the time!

This is a huge change for me over the last couple years. Definitely a change in the right direction!

I'll probably keep,the snack down to one small item per day in maintenance, just like p1. And I'll make sure it has protein. A big one to control insulin production.

Thanks for your endorsement Lisa...it means a lot..
I've been wanting to share this but wanted to find the clip...it was a mind bending thing for me. Pivotal moment so to speak. We get so practiced not nibbling on P1, think it is a huge thing to keep in mind as we move on to the rest of our lives. And hope the visual I described is clear enough to make sense.

Now do look for ways to shave something off my meals so as to have some leeway for a snack or more truthfully a before dinner nibble on a day like today for a few things I don't normally do. 9dh shopped for something for mother's day dinner...which I would have vetoed. ... I was thinking fish today...) ...but...it is Mother's day. And I think I'll have wiggle room. If keep in mind...my wagon is full until dinner.

Also..thinking outside the box...I posted a photo of my GF breakfast on maintainers P4 this AM...next to my husband's plate....And must say..he tells me mine always looks better!

EDIT:

The guest on his show was Dr. Joel Furhman who wrote "The End of Dieting", which i beleive toehrs ehre have endorsed. I can't find the clip from his show, but here is a reference to the segment and Dr. Fuhrmans work:

http://dr-oz.com/4-biggest-diet-lies-that-keep-you-fat/

Last edited by 65X65; 05-11-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Closed Thread