Vacation at Disney in 4 weeks

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Excellent planning evemomma! Be sure and let us know how it goes and enjoy Disney!
  • Quote: Excellent planning evemomma! Be sure and let us know how it goes and enjoy Disney!
    Thanks! I am really excited to make this work and KNOW I won't regret it. I'm looking forward to getting my picture taken and not feeling embarrassed. Even if I am not the weight I want to be, just knowing that I am making healthy choices makes me feel more beautiful. As opposed to stopping by McDonalds on my way to work (I work afternoon/evenings...not good for healthy eating) and stuffing my face with a Quarter Pounder meal and worrying about reeking like French fries for my clients!
  • Any thoughts on portable protein that doesn't require refrigeration other than tuna pouches? Looked at a lot of Disney Menus and realized I need to assume that they won't have what I need WHEN I need it!
  • Quote: Any thoughts on portable protein that doesn't require refrigeration other than tuna pouches? Looked at a lot of Disney Menus and realized I need to assume that they won't have what I need WHEN I need it!
    There is a good chance they would have chicken on the menu and even if it's not offered as a "plain chicken breast" as it reads on the menu, you should have no problem having them leave off sauces and whatever else they may add to it. (I assume you are talking about more of the restaurants, not just the quick eateries that may only offer "fast food" where the chicken in breaded) And you may also be able to get a clean steak and/or fish at most places.
  • Quote: There is a good chance they would have chicken on the menu and even if it's not offered as a "plain chicken breast" as it reads on the menu, you should have no problem having them leave off sauces and whatever else they may add to it. (I assume you are talking about more of the restaurants, not just the quick eateries that may only offer "fast food" where the chicken in breaded) And you may also be able to get a clean steak and/or fish at most places.
    Thanks! We're not on the dining plan and will probably do more quick service eating while we're there. They make great healthy options for kids that are quite affordable: turkey sandwich, grapes and carrots or yogurt...it's just that there is not as much that is On-Plan at quick service. I know a lot of the burger joints have free side fixings such as lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, and pickles...so I know I can make an impromptu salad if necessary. I was disappointed to not see more grilled chicken options. But, I'm going to make it work!
  • Quote: Any thoughts on portable protein that doesn't require refrigeration other than tuna pouches? Looked at a lot of Disney Menus and realized I need to assume that they won't have what I need WHEN I need it!
    If you are in a condo or have a stove available, try HB eggs, but do not peel them - stick them in a baggie, in with your little freezer pack/lunch kit. You can also prefill a water bottle almost full and stick in the freezer to put in your pack with your food - it will keep it cold and be refreshing for drinking as it melts. I've never gotten sick from unpeeled HB eggs (non refrig) even in warm climates as long as I eat them that day that they are out in my purse.
  • Quote: If you are in a condo or have a stove available, try HB eggs, but do not peel them - stick them in a baggie, in with your little freezer pack/lunch kit. You can also prefill a water bottle almost full and stick in the freezer to put in your pack with your food - it will keep it cold and be refreshing for drinking as it melts. I've never gotten sick from unpeeled HB eggs (non refrig) even in warm climates as long as I eat them that day that they are out in my purse.
    Great idea!
  • You can view many of the menus here:
    http://allears.net/dining/menu/

It might be a bit of work and asking for substitutions or omissions but, you can do it.
  • I actually went to Disney on IP for a week. It was hard but you have to keep the determination going. I always had my packs when going to the parks and did a salad. While not at the park I went to Panda Express and picked up some steamed veggies. I also walked everyday (out of habit). I made sure all of my packets didnt require anything. They were quick things. Good Luck.
  • bump
  • My wife and I just got back from a Disney cruise and managed to lose a total of 7+ pounds between us on the chubby on a budget approach. We packed GNC's protein powder in vacuum-sealed, single-serve pouches we made ourselves, taking them to breakfast and lunch with family. We also took our quest bars for the week. The food on the trip was a big temptation, but we didn't give in. Part of what helped us was watching so many people filling their plates with mounds of unhealthy choices when there were good choices. We did have a hard time getting enough protein at supper, so we often found ourselves putting on extra protein at lunch to compensate, but still not trying to pass the 8 oz recommendation. If you're not sure what you're going to encounter in terms of protein choices, I'd recommend extra quest bars. While they are restricted, if you have no other good option, it's a much better choice than having to give in to truly forbidden food or cutting calories way too low. The other consideration is that the pouches of other restricted items are lower density (ie. take up more space), so we 'broke the rules' at times and may have had an extra quest bar because we could only pack so much stuff in our suitcases. We had a hard time finding enough vegetables and lean meat, but most menus had 'light fare' choices (e.g. chicken, steak, salmon) where we could just say 'no thanks' to the starches. We recommend taking along NOW psyllium capsules, as you'll find constipation to be problematic in an environment where you can't get enough veggies (another reason we like quest -- high fiber).
  • Congrats on your successful trip! Quest bars were also my secret weapon at Disney as I would savor them as my family indulged in sugary/fatty treats. I felt so great even in the hot weather riding rides...lowfat/low carb eating agrees with Disney!
  • Bump for Berta54758
  • bump for Sgrealtor1
  • Bump again for those going on trips!! Read this thread and take courage!!