Old 05-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #31  

But puri is wheat dough deep fried in oil. We can't have more than 1 or 2 i guess
hope2781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #32  
Fat melting NINJA:)

S/C/G: 141/130/115

Height: 5.2

I am traveling to India this December and want to try and stay OP. I have ordered my quest bars (all 20 of them) and their new quest chocolate protein powder. SO, i know i will have 2 out of 4 meals covered. But after reading what Liana wrote bout an alternate protocol dat allows me to eat some dal, carbs n fruit, I am now tempted to go that route. Please advise.
Thank you!!
Aria05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #33  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Desi_Guy View Post
@ user hope2781

So..
some intros in order so that we can assess the circumstances / situations...
cause one man's pudding is another man's poison.. ( applies to a woman as well )
Who am I ? - Chennai based guy here in NJ, 38, Christian (so meat eater and almost anything that moves), love spicy stuff...to start...
What is my driver? Long term driver : 2 daughters aged 7 & 3 ! Short term driver : surprising my parents who have been on my case to lose weight for the last 10 years ( going to India in Jun for a month... have always been on the heavier side.. my entire life)..
Other motivations that help sustain after the initial hurdles : Shopping for clothes is fun again , going to the park for the kids and playing with them, not being wary of being photographed...
this is just to start about who/why I am doing what I am doing.

On to you now..and my responses in red below.

"I am on Phase 1, started on Apr 02. Week 1 = lost 7 lbs , week 2 = no weight loss :-( : Are you drinking enough & more water? Are you cheating at all? Are you having sugar / fruits? .. need more details on your situation...

I have a weigh in this Thursday and hoping for the scale to go down. Do you have your own scale that you check ?
How are you controlling not to eat rice or roti? I am soooo tempted to eat the food but trying to stay strong. form your motivation factors on why you wanna stay the course... Of course, I gave in a bit around the time it plateaued for me.. Spicy indian snacks from Subzi mandi - murukku / thata / south indian stuff, but then recalled my motivation factors....also keep in mind, each person's body ( each of us are like a snow flake ) reacts a bit differently to this regimen.. but it will work... a bit delayed for some...
I wonder why moong dal sprouts can't be taken? they are protein rich but my coach said stick with the plan and so I am not trying it but I do take few spoons of tomato rasam once in a while." Try bean sprouts.... they are good to.. and u mean spoons of tomato rasam? what kind of diet plan did your coach give you/ I have meat every night... and I still lost weight...more details will help..
Mung sprouts are not allowed? I thought they are. The IP Phase 1 sheet says that bean sprouts are ok?? Please correct me if I am wrong coz i have been eating them all week!!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Aria05: Sprouts are OK, they are on the allowed list, but many coaches don't have any idea about what comprises Indian foods so they just say no without investigating. You could just do regular p1, but it will make your travels easier if you can do the alternative protocol - that way you don't have to worry as much about yogourt, dal, and fruit (although you would still have to watch your portions carefully). Your choice though! Sounds like you are well prepared and will have fun!
And by the way, puri could only be on a Maintenance Funday for me, lol. I can't find GF puri anyhow so it's a moot point.
Let us all know how things went when you get back. I love travel and eating local foods.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 145/120/125

Height: 5'3

Default Gluten-free Indian breads

Hello all -- Very new here, but I love that this thread exists and hope to see more Indian recipes, especially any OK for P1! My Indian spices go on just about all the veggies I've been eating.

Liana -- can you eat buckwheat or rice flour? I have seen recipes online for various Indian breads, including puri, naan, etc. made from those non-wheat flours. If you google "gluten free Indian bread recipes" or something similar, several will pop up. I have not tried them myself, but might be worth a shot.
Mimi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Aria05: Sprouts are OK, they are on the allowed list, but many coaches don't have any idea about what comprises Indian foods so they just say no without investigating. You could just do regular p1, but it will make your travels easier if you can do the alternative protocol - that way you don't have to worry as much about yogourt, dal, and fruit (although you would still have to watch your portions carefully). Your choice though! Sounds like you are well prepared and will have fun!
And by the way, puri could only be on a Maintenance Funday for me, lol. I can't find GF puri anyhow so it's a moot point.
Let us all know how things went when you get back. I love travel and eating local foods.

Liana
Thanks Liana!! Portions have always been my waterloo And iam hoping IP is going to help me correct that!! I might go between P1, P2 and alternate depending whats on the menu that day Wish me luck!! I will report back fosho!!
Happy OP day y'all!!
PS: is there an updated alternate protocol out there?

Last edited by Aria05; 11-10-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #37  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi47 View Post
Hello all -- Very new here, but I love that this thread exists and hope to see more Indian recipes, especially any OK for P1! My Indian spices go on just about all the veggies I've been eating.

Liana -- can you eat buckwheat or rice flour? I have seen recipes online for various Indian breads, including puri, naan, etc. made from those non-wheat flours. If you google "gluten free Indian bread recipes" or something similar, several will pop up. I have not tried them myself, but might be worth a shot.
Unfortutately, no grains are allowed on IP - it's not just gluten that you have to worry about, it's the higher carbs from grain-based foods. So no breads.

There are recipes floating about for "bread-like" food using finely grated cauliflower and egg whites, those might help you out if you're really craving bread
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Unfortutately, no grains are allowed on IP - it's not just gluten that you have to worry about, it's the higher carbs from grain-based foods. So no breads.

There are recipes floating about for "bread-like" food using finely grated cauliflower and egg whites, those might help you out if you're really craving bread
Oh, wow -- I knew they weren't allowed at all in P1, but not even in later Phases or maintenance?! Probably best for me since I find it so hard to stop at just one….
Old 11-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #39  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Mimi, you can make a pseudo bread from several of the IP packets.

The potato puree makes a nice bread roll (we add lots of spices into ours) and you can make a sort-of flatbread from some of the soups.

Check out the IP packet recipes thread. If you go back to the first entry on this thread (Lisa's) you will see a link to the recipes. As it's probably on the 5th incarnation there will also be links back to previous ones. Lots of inspired people contributed to it, so you will find many ways to liven up the most boring packets.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #40  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi47 View Post
Oh, wow -- I knew they weren't allowed at all in P1, but not even in later Phases or maintenance?! Probably best for me since I find it so hard to stop at just one….
Oh no - just in phase 1 and 2....when you hit phase 3 you start re-introducing those complex carbs for breakfast, and then in maintenance you can include breads *in moderation*

My mistake if your question was specific to maintenance!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #41  

No worries, but, actually, I was just trying to help out Liana (canadjineh) above I'm not even going to start thinking about bread for myself at this point!
Old 11-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #42  

Actually grain carbs are allowed on the Alternative Plan Phases, but only one a day. I can eat buckwheat & rice, but can't see either of them puffing up properly for puri since they have no stretchy gluten, lol. Good for other breads like naan or chapatti, though.
You could use ghee instead of EVOoil if necessary although remember your portions; spices are no problem of course as long as there are no added sugars to them, but I can't think of any that would have sugar, off hand. No Indian desserts of course, lol. Nothing low carb about them!!
I've used the broccoli cheddar soup packet for a tortilla/chapatti sort of 'bread' but it was hardly worth it for me. I can see packet hacking if you are on this for more than 6 months, but for me I only missed all my rice and beans/legumes. For the amount of weight I had to lose and the fact that I ended up doing the Alternative Plan (diabetic style) I could wait til maintenance with only one serving of starch carbs a day, really. Took me about 3 1/2 months so no biggie.
Once you are on P3 pretty well anything goes for breakfast as you need some carb, some fat, and some protein. Actually as I wrote in to the IP Video email site (& they agreed), you could have pizza for breakfast anytime and not have to save it for your Funday in maintenance. That would go for your favorite Indian style dinners - having it for breakfast instead but again not including a dessert (unless you have a tiny dab of kulfi).

Liana
Old 11-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #43  

Here's the 'rules' for Alternative Plan...
** IMPORTANT: Choose one item from a different “Group” at each meal. You must consume 1 choice from each 3 Groups per day.
You may not substitute one group to choose an additional food from another group. **
GROUP 1: 2 slices of toast (whole grain, pumpernickel, rye, multigrain sourdough, stone ground whole wheat, oat bran, sprouted grain),
150g whole-wheat pasta, 150g brown rice (non-instant), 1 sweet potato or small boiled potato, 60g oatmeal (non-instant), 150-200g couscous,
50g unsweetened cereal (bran, oat, whole grain, barley), 150g cooked legumes (chick peas, lentils, green peas, kidney beans), 150g corn

GROUP 2: Fresh fruit (e.g. - 1 grapefruit, 1 apple, 2 kiwis, 150g pineapple, 1 banana, 200g strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries) **these are examples, you may choose other unsweetened fruit, in a normal portion size**

GROUP 3: 1 sugar-free (no added, that is) yogurt, 1 6oz glass of milk (2% M.F. or less), 30g cheese (about 20% M.F.), 120g cottage cheese, 60g feta cheese

This is in addition to your usual P1 veggie/meat/packet/vitamin/water/salt instructions
Old 11-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #44  

Thanks Liana!!maybe a week of *alternate* when I am at my in-laws place hehe My mil cooks like a dream and if i don't see any big upsets I will seriously consider switching coz I miss my gym!!
Thank you SO much!!
Old 11-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #45  

how does one measure cooked lentil i wonder!! there is water in it. maybe cook it till all water dries!! and den measure it? just wondering out loud.
Thanks!