Indians on IP

You're on Page 5 of 5
Go to
  • Vegetarian ideas on IP
    Re-bump for vegetarians on IP.
  • One more bumpity bump for IP recipe nerds.
  • hello all,
    I am back on IP and have managed to lose 10 pounds in 16 days. Pretty excited about it. I am Indian too and use indian spices to temper the oil before I toss my veggies in ...

In 2014 I lost a total of 30 pounds and then regained it all and then some...using menopause as an excuse
  • I have been out for a long time.. and saw your message and was curious.. so came back online.
    how are things in IP journey
  • Hi guys/gals! Good to see you again desi-guy! Wondered how you were doing - I'm doing ok... Up a teensy but back at it to lose about 8 lbs or so. Hop back on the train!
    I want to get this thread more active for yummy food ideas. IP is so generally 'whte-bread Americana' and dull, dull, dull. I must admit I check out carb counts on ethnic veggies and use the lower carb ones instead of the usual. Stuff like nopales in Mexican food, and daikon radish or bitter melon in Asian food.
    Welcome to the newbies!

Lians
  • Gujarati?
    Hi All,

What style of Indian food are you eating? is any of the above Gujarati?

Thanks - Vijay
  • Quote: Hi All,

What style of Indian food are you eating? is any of the above Gujarati?

Thanks - Vijay
    I'm not sure since it's not my ethnic background, could you give us some traditional dish descriptions and maybe we can help sub non-IP compliant ingredients while still staying true to the flavours. Welcome Vijay, by the way!
    Liana
  • I often cook soups and therefore I am looking for new recipes.

club.cooking/recipe/rasam-soup/
    Now my favorite recipe is this one.

Steps
    Step 1
    In a heavy mortar, crush the pepper, mustard seeds, garlic and cumin seeds with salt, until the spices are fine but now powder and the garlic forms a paste.

Step 2
    In a pot, sauté the onions until translucent over medium heat. Add the crushed spices, garlic and red chillis. Cook for a minute, then add turmeric and stir for 10 seconds. Add the tomato and the tamarind juice strained out. Bring to the boil and lower heat to medium. Cook for 15 minutes.

Step 3
    Add half a cup water or adjust and add more if the soup is too potent. Season with salt and serve with fresh coriander.

Step 4
    Serve over basmati rice, or strain and serve in mugs.
  • Sounds like a yummy recipe, CookieShine, but if you are doing IP, no basmati rice. You could sub fried up cauliflower rice, or use the konjac (miracle) rice. I will admit, if you like good rices, konjac rice will just NOT cut it, it's more like the tiny Italian pasta orzo. A little too chewy in texture. I hope there's some more Indian folks doing IP that can add to this thread with yummy food ideas from their cultures.
    Liana (canadjineh)