Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

johnsdeere: Thanks. And congrats to you for size 14's. That is my next size down and I'm excited to get there. It's been a long time.

ems70508: You are right about Dr's. Up to this point she has been very supportive about my weight loss efforts because I was doing what she wanted me to do. But.. she is more geared toward conventional approaches - balanced diet and chronic cardio. She even said that today "I support a balanced approach to weight loss". What she was really saying is that she didn't approve of what I was doing. I know "balanced" doesn't work for me. I've tried it and got nowhere. IP is the first thing that has worked for me in a long time. At one point she got up and opened the door to the examining room to tell her assistant something while I was telling her about the diet. Rude! She has never done anything like that before. At that point I just stopped talking about it and we got on with the rest of the physical.

I've long been a proponent of treat the cause, not the symptoms. The medical profession is disappointing in this regard. A pill will not fix everything. I'll just keep plugging along and loose the weight. I feel good about what I am doing for my health and really...that's all that counts.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #32  
Renee~ Started IP Aug. 25

S/C/G: 186/136.4/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
Reenhag- working during vacation, now that does not seem quite fair I am doing a lot of vegging. After that cold/flu a couple weeks ago, testing and a bunch of other school responsibilities- I am tired. The weather here was good for about an hour yesterday, now we are back to cold and rain. Nice excuse to pajama it
I kmow, I know. I was really tossed up about the idea of taking a course during break. I need some time to veg, but I also need this class! I want options in my life! As for my PT job, it is actually a good time and only comes about once every few weeks, although it might change to once a week. I run pub trivia in a local bar.

I am sorry about your weather. Ours is yucky today, too. Enjoy your veg time and rest up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
I will have to remember that. Delicious bag of chemicals, too funny! Does not make it sound very good at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirishrose View Post
I've started using it on my kids. Now I guess I should apply it to myself. They'll ask for skittles and I tell them to read the ingredients and they are like "what? what is this? GROSS!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilynn View Post
i do the same thing to my son who is 10. He will ask all the time for junk food when we go grocery shopping. I tell him if he can pronounce the ingredients on what he wants and knows what they are -- he can have it. lol.. kiddo figured it out its nothing but a bunch of chemicals.
I love these responses! Teaching our kids about what they are putting into their bodies is so important. Way to go, moms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
Went for my annual physical today. Told my doc about Ideal Protein. She was not as supportive as I would have hoped. She was glad I was loosing weight, but her main comment was "I don't see how eating protein packets is sustainable in the long run". I tried to explain about the protocol but I could tell she had lost interest. Oh well. When I go back next year at my new incredible maintained weight, maybe then she will pay attention.

On another note, NSV in my closet this morning. Two pairs of dress pants are too big! My work wardrobe is shrinking...just like me!
So sorry to hear this. I echo the sentiments of others- look for a more supportive doc. And comgrats on the shrinking wardrobe!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems70508 View Post
I fear what our medical industry is becoming. So many people are overweight and in turn, health problems. People on IP have made a drastic lifestyle change. Because IP works and because we can maintain and learn a healthy lifestyle for forever, we are no longer dependent on our doctors for meds. They don't make as much money. If everyone was healthy, the medical industry would not be as wealthy as it is. That's my opinion. And it may be exaggerated but every time I go to the doctor, they try to sign me up for another dang pill!!!
Agreed! Big pharma is way too big! Docs can be one way or the other, but big pharma and big agri have too much invested, much to the detriment of the general public. It is more important than ever to be informed and attentive.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

http://cathe.com/what-role-does-prot...in-weight-loss
http://cathe.com/5-common-cardiovasc...takes-to-avoid
Old 04-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 218/197.2/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
johnsdeere: Thanks. And congrats to you for size 14's. That is my next size down and I'm excited to get there. It's been a long time.

ems70508: You are right about Dr's. Up to this point she has been very supportive about my weight loss efforts because I was doing what she wanted me to do. But.. she is more geared toward conventional approaches - balanced diet and chronic cardio. She even said that today "I support a balanced approach to weight loss". What she was really saying is that she didn't approve of what I was doing. I know "balanced" doesn't work for me. I've tried it and got nowhere. IP is the first thing that has worked for me in a long time. At one point she got up and opened the door to the examining room to tell her assistant something while I was telling her about the diet. Rude! She has never done anything like that before. At that point I just stopped talking about it and we got on with the rest of the physical.

I've long been a proponent of treat the cause, not the symptoms. The medical profession is disappointing in this regard. A pill will not fix everything. I'll just keep plugging along and loose the weight. I feel good about what I am doing for my health and really...that's all that counts.
catlady, you are echoing my feelings. "Balanced" doesn't work for me, WW doesn't work, I was on Qsymia (weight loss drug) that didn't work, and I've even done Optifast through a doctor's office and couldn't lose more than 40 pounds, stalled at 179. This is working, I feel great, and even though I had pretty major surgery two weeks ago, everyone I've seen is amazed at how I look (and I've just gotten started). This is working for me, and until it doesn't, I'm a convert.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #35  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirishrose View Post
It snowed here. >.< I know I know I live in Michigan, but IT'S APRIL. Common! I just want to wear flip flops and not freeze. Is that so much to ask?!
Quote:
Holly I do that all the time! I walk down the chip/water aisle to get some sparkling water and I'm like...LOOK AT ALL YOU DELICIOUS BAGS OF CHEMICALS! But then I remember how much work I've done! And how much my stomach would hurt! How I would feel puffy! Now worth it. I'll go home and have some salt/vinegar crisps!

Amber, I'm jealous of your beautiful spring day! We've already been in the 80's for a week now. But then today it dipped back down to 44. I'm not quite sure what to do! It's never been this cold in April!
LOL it snowed here yesterday and the day before, it's Spring in Wyoming, today was about 60 before the wind picked up. It only takes about the 50's here for us to be excited lol
Old 04-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

I too, have been on a lot of weight loss plans before, with varying degrees of success. But...I have never been as committed to following the plan before. I think that it has to do with a number of things. On IP:
I have learned to distinguish between real hunger and cravings.

On IP there are not a lot of convenient food options, so I have learned to plan and prepare ahead of time.

I have started to cook every single night using unprocessed foods as a basis for the meals.

My coach encouraged light physical activity.

I am now off blood pressure medication.

Even when I have hit weight "slowdowns", I have focused on the protocol.

I have increased my daily water consumption.

I have eaten more vegetables in the past 6 months than I had in years.

I have lost 79 pounds since last June (66 on IP Oct. Start)

Now my question is: How on earth can a Doctor find fault with IP?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #37  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

I'm lucky. It is my doctor selling it to me! I never ate vegetables before this. Even when they were free for WW. Now I am learning how important they are and how to incorporate them into my meals. I am determined to learn a new way to eat going forward.

Lots of doctors out there, all with their own ideas. That is why there are second opinions!

Keep doing what works for you.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #38  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

I know it has to be TOM or something but I am having these near slip moments today, honestly I haven't really had any problems, I didn't have to clean my house of all the food I just don't eat it, but twice now today I contemplated that one fruit snack (not the bag just one out of my kids) and one cheeto won't hurt what's one going to do... now this is what I literally just thought in my head as I picked up the bags off the counter to put them away while making my lemon water. I DIDN'T do it which I know is the important part but for me I want to know why the sudden complacency in my head... for 8 weeks I've told myself, one is one too many, one leads to more and maybe it takes just one carb or one gram of real sugar and junk to kick me out of ketosis and I don't want to lose 4 days to get back into the system.. one cheat in my head equates 4 lost days, one day of cheats makes a week of make up! It was a strange thought, I put everything down and left the kitchen, came immediately to my computer for a moment of regroup. It was like there was an alternate me in my head, the little devil on my shoulder, where the he$% did she come from? LOL
Old 04-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #39  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
I know it has to be TOM or something but I am having these near slip moments today, honestly I haven't really had any problems, I didn't have to clean my house of all the food I just don't eat it, but twice now today I contemplated that one fruit snack (not the bag just one out of my kids) and one cheeto won't hurt what's one going to do... now this is what I literally just thought in my head as I picked up the bags off the counter to put them away while making my lemon water. I DIDN'T do it which I know is the important part but for me I want to know why the sudden complacency in my head... for 8 weeks I've told myself, one is one too many, one leads to more and maybe it takes just one carb or one gram of real sugar and junk to kick me out of ketosis and I don't want to lose 4 days to get back into the system.. one cheat in my head equates 4 lost days, one day of cheats makes a week of make up! It was a strange thought, I put everything down and left the kitchen, came immediately to my computer for a moment of regroup. It was like there was an alternate me in my head, the little devil on my shoulder, where the he$% did she come from? LOL
Do what I do Amber - drown the little b**ch with more water! Seriously though - some days are just like that. I still get them and I think it's part of training ourselves to think before we eat. As I get closer to maintenance I keep thinking - would just one hurt? Don't know where it's coming from but I'm proud of both of us for not giving in.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #40  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Quote:

When I took this plan and its protocols to my endocrinologist, he took the papers and, without looking at them, piled them on top of a pile of papers on the corner of his desk. We both knew he would never look at them. Then he handed me The South Beach Diet and refused to discuss it any further. To say I was frustrated would be an understatement. Won't he be surprised when I come breezing into his office in June! Living well is the best revenge. You'll show your doc . . . if you decide to stay with her.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #41  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

I was reading the first article and it mentioned that increased protein can be stressful to kidneys if you have already had kidney disease but it also mentions kidney stones. I have had stones 3 times, twice in the last 6 years. The last time I ended up with laser surgery to blast a 10 mm stone. I don't want to have to go through that again.

Anyone ever had kidney stone issues before or during IP?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
I was reading the first article and it mentioned that increased protein can be stressful to kidneys if you have already had kidney disease but it also mentions kidney stones. I have had stones 3 times, twice in the last 6 years. The last time I ended up with laser surgery to blast a 10 mm stone. I don't want to have to go through that again.

Anyone ever had kidney stone issues before or during IP?
I think one thing to remember is that IP is a moderate protein diet, not a high protein diet. I cannot answer about the stones. I am not prone to them.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Amber, I call that the cravings monster. It shows up periodically. You did exactly the right thing by walking away and seeking support. I agree with Ruth Ann, drowned it. I usually turn to hot tea that is a little sweet. Good luck and stay strong.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #44  
Me back on the list!

S/C/G: 220/177/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
First, congratulations!!!

When I am in those situations and I have politely declined the item(s) that are not OP, I truly feel that I am in control of the situation. I am making these positive decisions for my future self and all of my future experiences that I am working so hard to make my reality!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #45  

Quote:
I fear what our medical industry is becoming. So many people are overweight and in turn, health problems. People on IP have made a drastic lifestyle change. Because IP works and because we can maintain and learn a healthy lifestyle for forever, we are no longer dependent on our doctors for meds. They don't make as much money. If everyone was healthy, the medical industry would not be as wealthy as it is. That's my opinion. And it may be exaggerated but every time I go to the doctor, they try to sign me up for another dang pill!!!

Do not let your doctor deter you. You don't need her to tell you what makes you happy, healthy and comfortable. If she isn't supportive when you go back, find another one. There are good ones out there, it just takes trial and error in finding them!
Quote:

I've started going to functional medicine doctors, naturopaths, and/or integrative medicine docs. They actually look for CAUSE and don't just treat symptoms. We're currently working on the cause of my thyroid issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Do what I do Amber - drown the little b**ch with more water! Seriously though - some days are just like that. I still get them and I think it's part of training ourselves to think before we eat. As I get closer to maintenance I keep thinking - would just one hurt? Don't know where it's coming from but I'm proud of both of us for not giving in.
Lol. I drowned her in hot tea after work tonite. It worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
When I took this plan and its protocols to my endocrinologist, he took the papers and, without looking at them, piled them on top of a pile of papers on the corner of his desk. We both knew he would never look at them. Then he handed me The South Beach Diet and refused to discuss it any further. To say I was frustrated would be an understatement. Won't he be surprised when I come breezing into his office in June! Living well is the best revenge. You'll show your doc . . . if you decide to stay with her.
my doc said I didn't need the packets...that it could be done with real food. My response: "how was that working for me?"
Oh, and finding a new doc

Last edited by lisa32989; 04-15-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Closed Thread