Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #76  
P4

S/C/G: 238 highest--IP197/165/165

Height: 5'4"

Default Did I not learn ANYTHING??

I was fine on P1 and P2, P3 harder because more of carbs at breakfast.
P4--total mess.

I can't handle the carbs at breakfast. The cravings are back. No cravings when in ketosis. I just need to stay on P1 for rest of life.

Ate like my friends for 4 days (party weekend for Opening Day of boating--big deal in Seattle) knowing that I would be paying the price.

Back to P1 today.
WI with coach is today. She is great, is determined that I won't yoyo this time.

I must be up 5-6 pounds from two weeks ago. Don't want to get on her scales.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisado View Post
I was fine on P1 and P2, P3 harder because more of carbs at breakfast.
P4--total mess.

I can't handle the carbs at breakfast. The cravings are back. No cravings when in ketosis. I just need to stay on P1 for rest of life.

Ate like my friends for 4 days (party weekend for Opening Day of boating--big deal in Seattle) knowing that I would be paying the price.

Back to P1 today.
WI with coach is today. She is great, is determined that I won't yoyo this time.

I must be up 5-6 pounds from two weeks ago. Don't want to get on her scales.
I am convinced the psychological barriers for me are minimized because I am gluten free and stay away from the substitutes because they have a high glycemic index.

Finding a boiler plate way of doing P2/3 with real foods that are low glycemic and carb would be better for your body.

It may work for you, to ease into a maintenance plan by mimicking IP using real animal protein and meeting the caloric limits for your BMR by adding good carbs (most veggies...no starchy or limited) from veggies and low glycemic fruits like fresh berries. Avoiding the carbs and sugar is the only way for those with severe cravings, or a BMR that is going to be challenged to get in the appropriate nutrients with out weight gain.

Please PM me if I can help.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #78  
P4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
Finding a boiler plate way of doing P2/3 with real foods that are low glycemic and carb would be better for your body.....
Thanks, appreciate the support. Too much freedom is scary.

Being away from the board for most of week didn't help.
I'll see what the Maintainers are eating and work out a spreadsheet.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #79  
P4

Default Much better morning

Dropped about 4 pounds from my weekend pig out.
Still needs to work on the other 4.

DH made mistake of asking me if I have a plan to lose the weight I'd gained in last couple of weeks. He is lucky he still has his head. "Yes, I have a plan. I talked to my coach today!"

Got my veggies with me, ready to tackle several days of P1.
Journal, journal, journal.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #80  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisado View Post
DH made mistake of asking me if I have a plan to lose the weight I'd gained in last couple of weeks. He is lucky he still has his head. "Yes, I have a plan. I talked to my coach today!"
Boy is he lucky you are so even tempered!

And just UGH! 3 days of maintenance and I am feeling all bloated and yucky - definitely retaining some water, I can feel it in my ankles and the scale is up 2 pounds and I KNOW I haven't eaten enough to actually gain that much. I suspect this will pass as my body adjusts but in the meantime - just yuck!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hang on, Ruth Ann, perhaps your glycogen restock just took a little extra time and didn't happen in P3 - it didn't for me... I actually LOST more weight in P3. Your body will begin to figure it out soon

Liana
Old 05-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #82  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Hang on, Ruth Ann, perhaps your glycogen restock just took a little extra time and didn't happen in P3 - it didn't for me... I actually LOST more weight in P3. Your body will begin to figure it out soon

Liana
Thanks Liana! I think you may be right - I kept losing in P2 and stayed the same in P3. I just hate this feeling.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #83  

Height: 5'2

Hey Ruth Ann, I stayed the same weight in phase 3 and gained a few in phase 4 as well. I suspected I would have to follow a fairly low carb diet after IP which I started on Saturday. I felt so bloated and awful. Once I eat a carb, I can't stop all day. I was wanting to eat baked goods all day long. I feel so much better now after cutting all that out. I am going to continue keeping my carb grams under 50 a day and have a fun meal or two a week and see how that goes since the phase 4 protocol was causing me too many cravings.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #84  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephascope View Post
Hey Ruth Ann, I stayed the same weight in phase 3 and gained a few in phase 4 as well. I suspected I would have to follow a fairly low carb diet after IP which I started on Saturday. I felt so bloated and awful. Once I eat a carb, I can't stop all day. I was wanting to eat baked goods all day long. I feel so much better now after cutting all that out. I am going to continue keeping my carb grams under 50 a day and have a fun meal or two a week and see how that goes since the phase 4 protocol was causing me too many cravings.
I think I need to lower my carbs. It's funny, I'm not having any cravings and haven't actually had a fun day or meal yet but I think I just added too much all at once. Coach said to bring my carbs up to 100 and I suspect that's just too much for me so I'm going to lower it some and see if that works better for me. I drank a ton of water today and am not feeling so bloated so I'm hoping it was just too much sodium on top of upping everything.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:17 AM   #85  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephascope View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
I think I need to lower my carbs. It's funny, I'm not having any cravings and haven't actually had a fun day or meal yet but I think I just added too much all at once. Coach said to bring my carbs up to 100 and I suspect that's just too much for me so I'm going to lower it some and see if that works better for me. I drank a ton of water today and am not feeling so bloated so I'm hoping it was just too much sodium on top of upping everything.
I def think we shorter folks coming off the diet and having been overweight have a real carb sensitivity issue that rears its ugly head quickly. AND 5lbs on us looks like 10 (or more) on someone else! I keep my carbs under 40 most days. The glycogen refresh on me happened later...both because I'd been sick, and I worked up to P 3-4 real slow...after reading "The art and science of low carbohydrate living" by J volek and S Phinney:
http://www.artandscienceoflowcarb.com/
I was convinced the IP diet could not fix me to eat a boatload of carbs...as the literature from IP suggests. And reminded myself this diet was initially designed for athletes to get "off season weight" off an athlete quickly. Not initially designed to treat obesity. It just happens to work for those suffering from obesity. I suspect there is a high degree of carb sensitivity in many/most of the followers of IP who were obese prior to the diet and find they have trouble maintaining.

The plan would work better for folks if they did not have the expectation IP was going to fix their metabolism, and phased off with a different approach and mindset as a "non-athlete" who used the protocol and benefited from the weight loss the diet facilitates. Our maintenance needs to be designed differently, and expectations for what normal eating will be going forward need to address the physiologic metabolic issues of obesity, and the psychological change that needs to accompany this diet into maintenance. Many figure this out quickly...but it is all too apparent from reading the posts...just as many are not willing to come to that conclusion. It is easier to say "the diet did not work long term" than to accept a metabolism that does not work.....for life!!

Last edited by 65X65; 05-07-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #86  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Interesting info 65. I knew maintenance would take some fiddling for me to figure out what exactly would work for me - I just didn't expect to feel bad quite so fast! But I'm down a pound today and not feeling so bloated so I feel somewhat better and a bit more in control.

Interesting website. I agree with you that keeping the carbs lower than what most "normal" people can handle is going to be essential for me to maintain my loss. Where that falls I think will just be a matter of figuring it out.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #87  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

RuthAnn, I am glad you are feeling better. I agree with 65x65 that eating lower carb keeps me more stable. My coach did not tell me to eat 100 gm of carbs a day.

Stephascope: Carbs can be triggers for me also..That is why I stay away from refined carbs. Hope you are feeling better.

Tisado: P1 does work. Journaling is also a great tool. Good luck this week.

DRegan: Thanks for your support. You are doing well with that 1 year anniversary coming up in a month!!!!!

We finally have warmish weather and I am enjoying seeing flowers when I walk.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #88  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Interesting info 65. I knew maintenance would take some fiddling for me to figure out what exactly would work for me - I just didn't expect to feel bad quite so fast! But I'm down a pound today and not feeling so bloated so I feel somewhat better and a bit more in control.

Interesting website. I agree with you that keeping the carbs lower than what most "normal" people can handle is going to be essential for me to maintain my loss. Where that falls I think will just be a matter of figuring it out.
Interestingly..my coach used a MUCH slower approach to adding food and esp carbs. She is a Chiro...has some weight issues off and on and I think she gets it and is on target with how she advised me.

The Volek book and research really indicate the point where you start to gain is where your sensitivity to carbs is and advocates slow-w-w-ly approaching the discovery point for your carb threshold..and once determining it...ratchet back a little! Keep monitoring. IP could do a better job of this....and as I said...there is a PSYCHOlogical element that is frustrating if one thinks PHYSIOlogically...things are going to work right.

Better to expect the worst...as far as that goes and find out ...SURPRISE...you are someone who CAN eat the whole enchilada! (And I bet they will be taller than 5'2")
Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #89  
Started IP 04/22/2013

I think my coach was giving me starting points and assumed I would adjust up or down depending on how I did. She's always been right on with her suggestions so I think she just over estimated what I could tolerate. I see her today and will be interested on her take on it. Just glad I got rid of that awful bloaty balloony feeling!

And yeah, I'll bet anyone who can eat the whole enchilada is taller than I am! I stretch it when I say 5'1 1/2" (almost)!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #90  
P4

Default lost the pig out weight

I've been on P1 for couple of days and I've dropped the weight from the weekend eating.
Now need to drop couple more pounds to get back to what I've set at my goal weight (162 my scales/165 at WI).

I'll need to keep my carbs pretty much like on p3. After talking with my coach, I plan on getting carbs from veggies and blue berries. Will stay away from bread/pasta/cereals.

I'm scheduled myself to do WI every two weeks. I can change to every week if needed. My coach doesn't charge for visits, only for product. I can usually find a WF dressing that I need.

Love the support I get from coach and you gals.

Closed Thread