Maintainers Vol 14

You're on Page 10 of 34
Go to
  • Lisa your body seems to react the same as mine,thinking I may have thyroid issues too. But that said, I realized after got to the end of ip that I actually did best on P2 and it has to be my ongoing way of eating. I can,t tolerate grains and most dairy so P3 was a nightmare for me. I am following very low carb as way of life now. I,ll bet your body adjusts to an ongoing P2 way of eating and you will lose slowly but steadily.
  • Quote: Lisa your body seems to react the same as mine,thinking I may have thyroid issues too. But that said, I realized after got to the end of ip that I actually did best on P2 and it has to be my ongoing way of eating. I can,t tolerate grains and most dairy so P3 was a nightmare for me. I am following very low carb as way of life now. I,ll bet your body adjusts to an ongoing P2 way of eating and you will lose slowly but steadily.
    I'm really not doing a p2. I'm not really doing p3.
    More of a hybrid of phases.
    The p3 breakfasts are yummy but my doc wants me to have some carbs before bed, too so I have to spread it out more.

Today I had a spinach IP shake smoothie for breakfast (I don't see myself giving these up), along with some coffee with added fat.

Lunch was a zucchini/IP potato puree "bread" with real guac as the "spread" and cucumbers, lettuce & sprouts inside. I also dipped lettuce and cukes in the guac (about 2T total)

Dinner was a pork steak (I'd never heard of one til I moved to StL), some roasted radishes, and about 1.5 c rhubarb jello (rhubarb puree, mio, plain gelatin).

I had an IP fruity shake (mixture of flavors) for a snack after school.

I'm not measuring my veggies as carefully & today I had about 6-7 cups select veggies plus lettuce and the bit of avacado.

Tomorrow will be similar. I'm looking at homemade plain yogurt & strawberries (fresh from today's farmer's market) as an addition with lunch (which will be egg salad from 2 hard boiled eggs, pickles, lettuce). We're going out so dinner will be meat and veg.

I can't do the grains in p3 breakfast, either. But I found paleo versions & really like pancakes. It ends up being higher fat than carbs but works for me. I'm restricting gluten. I just feel better when I do this. Also, some foods just turn on some inner binge monster. I still need to restrict them, even if they're okay P1 foods.

It feels so good to eat clean. When I don't, I seem to easily become sick with a very upset digestive system.
  • Hi Lisa: There was a yummy roasted radishes with curry yogourt dip recipe in this month's Alive magazine - is that where you got the recipe?

The rhubarb jello sounds amazing, I may try that myself. My three rhubarb plants have gone CRAZY!! I pulled all the flower stalks coming up to keep the plants from going all tough & stringy, but now I have to do some pulling of stems and chopping/stewing. At least my rhubarb is very sweet, I just have to add about 5 pkts of stevia per BIG stock pot of rhubarb. I do a lot up & freeze it so we have yummy change in fruit for the winter when we get tired of mandarins, apples and bananas.

Liana
  • Quote: Hi Lisa: There was a yummy roasted radishes with curry yogourt dip recipe in this month's Alive magazine - is that where you got the recipe?

The rhubarb jello sounds amazing, I may try that myself. My three rhubarb plants have gone CRAZY!! I pulled all the flower stalks coming up to keep the plants from going all tough & stringy, but now I have to do some pulling of stems and chopping/stewing. At least my rhubarb is very sweet, I just have to add about 5 pkts of stevia per BIG stock pot of rhubarb. I do a lot up & freeze it so we have yummy change in fruit for the winter when we get tired of mandarins, apples and bananas.
    We just eat the radishes roasted with some salt, pepper, garlic.
    I'm not a fan of curry flavor so curry anything doesn't happen at our house.

I got some baby fennel in my CSA share this week. Not a fan of that flavor either. I posted it on FB, hoping a local friend or colleague might like it so it doesn't go to waste.

I SO WISH I had rhubarb plants. Maybe I'll plant some...
  • Sylviesgirl: I too thought about going lower before phasing off but since I've lost more than I expected after leaving P1, I'm glad I did it when I did.

I know I shouldn't trust those body fat machines, but I was kind of tickled that yesterday it showed my % had dropped from 50+ to less than 30%! Yeah me!

Lisa - Sounds like you and your doc have a solid plan, hooray! I'm finding it hard to stop measuring veggies. I've been doing it so long that it's like second nature. I think I will work on not measuring the select veggies and then go from there. I'm pretty good at eyeballing serving sizes!
  • Lisa: I am glad your healthy eating is paying off and that you are feeling well.I have never heard of roasting radishes and I am going to try it!

Ruth Ann..That is very nice that your body fat has dropped! I was so happy when my BMI entered the normal range.

Sylviegirl: I also lost weight on Phase 2. I hope you figure out your goal weight. I increased my goal weight by a few pounds from my lowest weight..This happened when I started increasing my weights and developing more muscles.

Canadijineh: You are lucky to have sweet rhubarb! I love curry and going to look for that recipe. Thanks.

Patns: Nice to hear from you. I hope your end of school year is going well. I am feeling stressed!
  • I liked this blog.

It's been one year now since I've been at my lowest weight, and while I have sometime in May marked as my Maintenance Anniversary, I've managed to stay at this weight for over a year, only during the winter holidays gaining back up to 8 lbs. I treat each day as it's another day to be my best self - to eat right, to exercise, and to lead by example. Last May I got rid of all of my clothes that were "big", knowing that if I had them 'round I could fit into them "if I had to." I've joined challenges, virtual walking groups, and have even initiated walking groups at school with other teachers. I've had to do this, if for no one else than me. NONE of this was about dieting. EVER. It wasn't about just losing the weight. It was about living longer, enjoying time with my husband (who is already one of the most active people I know, and at 17 years older than me was destined to outlive me if I didn't make some changes). It became about "showing up everyday" as Jillian Michaels says. There are days that I ache - my hips, my feet, my knee. You name it. I've come to accept that I am going to be 50 in a few months (though inside my head I still see myself as somewhere around my 40s - and the "Real Age Test" has me pegged at 42.8). But I do what I need to do. I count my calories. I track my fitness. I leave my husband love notes around the house, reminding him of how much I appreciate him for being my best friend and for loving me so deeply for the past 26 years. I show up every day as if it's my one job. And honestly, some days I sure wouldn't mind calling in sick or playing hookey!

This past weekend my brother and his wife came down for a visit - we haven't seen them for a few years - and we took them out to try SUP. Because it was on my SILs bucket list, DH videotaped the whole thing. I was shocked to see the footage and see myself. And yesterday, for the first time in many, many years, the whole family was together. I am hoping my dad sends some pics so I can post at least one of my brothers and me. All three of us have been working to get healthy this past year and it shows. I loved being with them and am sad today thinking it may not happen again anytime soon. Time truly does fly, doesn't it? Where has this past year without my dear Auggie gone?

On a final note, I don't believe in luck. I don't consider myself lucky to live where I do, or have the job that I have, or to be in such amazing relationships. I believe we all have the ability to put ourselves out into the world and live the life we want to live. We may have obstacles to overcome along the way (or hurdles to jump, as one of my students put it), but we can all jump high if we get a running start.
  • Maile: I like that! What a great perspective.
  • I loved your post Maille!
    I tried the Real Age test just now... and despite the Fibromyalgia and Arthritis, my 'real age' is 44.1 years even though I am 50. So, Yaay, I'm on the right track!
    It was quite comprehensive.
    I got rid of my 'big clothes' as soon as I shrank out of them. I have a pair of jeans that are slightly bigger on me mainly for that puffy TOM or when I've been glutened by mistake, when I don't want anything squeezing my belly. But that is it! no using them 'cause I can't fit my butt into the skinny jeans!

Liana

Stand Up Paddleboarding is a big thing here since we are on a huge lake (1000 km of shoreline - it's kind of shaped like an X or H almost so lots of bays & inlets.) I haven't tried it, just kayaking & canoeing, but it looks like fun.
  • Quote: NONE of this was about dieting. EVER. It wasn't about just losing the weight. It was about living longer, enjoying time with my husband (who is already one of the most active people I know, and at 17 years older than me was destined to outlive me if I didn't make some changes).
    It became about "showing up everyday"
    My favorite part!

My journey has been purely about health. About living longer and being able to move better with less pain. I think this is when I get annoyed with what I consider petty complaints about slow losses in a given week. The big picture is so much more important than one weekly data point.
  • Loved the blog post Maile. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa: your morning shake...are you still buying IP or doing an alternative version? I never had a problem getting in veggies so I never added spinach to a shake...does it make it more filling? Do you add about 1 cup spinach or more?

All: I've noticed that the 'being cold a lot - esp feet and nose' - is still happening even though I've been in maintenance a while. I was always more hot - excessively so - pre IP. And while some of it could have been the layers, some wasn't as I was hot as a child/teen...fair skin, overheats easily thing. (And not overweight) Should I be concerned about the cold lingering?

Real Age test sounds interesting... Thanks for the BMI/ideal weight links Liana.
  • Quote: Loved the blog post Maile. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa: your morning shake...are you still buying IP or doing an alternative version? I never had a problem getting in veggies so I never added spinach to a shake...does it make it more filling? Do you add about 1 cup spinach or more?

All: I've noticed that the 'being cold a lot - esp feet and nose' - is still happening even though I've been in maintenance a while. I was always more hot - excessively so - pre IP. And while some of it could have been the layers, some wasn't as I was hot as a child/teen...fair skin, overheats easily thing. (And not overweight) Should I be concerned about the cold lingering?.
    I live my p1 shake. I use the milk choc with spinach. I wasn't having a problem getting in veggies but it does make it more filling

Have you ever had a full thyroid panel, just to be on the safe side?
  • Vachinyc: I still have cold feet and often wear socks. That has not gone away..plus I can get cold in air conditioning. You might have tests done to be on the safe side.

Lisa: I liked those comments also. It is not just a diet but is a lifestyle dedicated to health and happiness. I also like her " showing up everyday" and treating it like a job.

Canadjineh: Those were good results on that age test. You are on the right track. I am going to have to try it. I also got rid of my large clothes..but do have a pair of slightly looser pants to wear when I need them!

Ruthann: I liked her ideas also. I really liked" I treat every day as another day to be my best self."

I am glad it is Friday!!!!! Thanks for your supportive comments.
  • I am amazed that I am becoming so much more observant of how foods make me feel.

DH and I went out last nite and I had a couple indulgences (wine, hummus with some pita, falafel, and the brussels sprouts had a "sweeter" sauce). The bread was a mistake, even if it was just 1/2 of a pita. I felt the gluten sensitivity almost immediately. One day I will develop the willingness to avoid completely (I guess when I feel bad enough...kinda like the willingness it took to go on P1!)

DH has also been relatively low carb. Both of us felt the effects this am. He is blaming it all on high salt content. I reminded him that although sodium may explain some of it, increased carbs increase inflammation, which is water retention. I'm SUPER thirsty today. Easy to push the fluids to flush out. Also doing a p1 day (one day won't do thyroid harm).

Even my face feels puffy!
    It amazes me how much we notice when we're back in tune with our bodies. I must have felt so crappy for so long that I never noticed the ill effects of bad food (or just poorer choices for me, personally) on a regular basis. We actually ate very healthy foods last evening...just more carbs and fat than usual and probably more sodium in more processed foods.

Feeling like I do today will DEFINITELY keep me more in check with eating on an ongoing basis. I have to be willing to have a day feeling like this to choose an indulgence.

I also noticed more than 1 glass of wine really went straight to my head. I'll mostly plan to keep a 1 drink max. I just FEEL better.

I'm so glad I've moved beyond "just" focusing on weight loss and I'm focusing on feeling good. I think this will really help me learn to maintain while we get the thyroid function back up-to-snuff.
  • I've been noticing the same thing Lisa - I'm trying to pay attention to how I feel. I noticed the other night that I had 1/2 a glass of wine and it gave me a pounding headache - never had that issue before.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how I'm doing. I've been focusing mostly on keeping my protein up and making sure my "fat" meal and "carb" meal come out right. So far, so good. My scale is sticking to 135 like glue right now.

I also am surprised that I have had no problems with cravings. I had 1/2 cup of ice cream the other night and it was plenty. I knew it was on the menu, had planned it so it fit my calories, fat, carbs, etc. and looked forward to it, and enjoyed it, but once it was done I was happy.

This seems like it's going almost too well - like any minute my brain will say "eat all this" and I'll go hog wild. I haven't and there's been nothing that set that off in my brain but it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop. You know? I suspect that in time this way of eating will become very routine, just like P1 did, and I will relax some but for right now being careful and tracking seems to work just fine.