Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 12:58 AM   #496  

S/C/G: 278.3 / 156.5 / 180

Height: 5'4"

Down another 5.9lbs today at WI.

Has anybody had dental problems while on P1? I know I've developed three cavities since I started, and might be working on another one. It can't be acidic food, because there isn't any, but I wonder if eliminating dairy is having an unintended consequence. Yes, I'm taking the cal-mag as required.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:09 AM   #497  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

It always seemed that I had extra plaque when on a low carb diet. I brushed my teeth a lot more and when I went to the dentist she had to work harder to clean them. It goes away after ketosis, but I just brushed my teeth after every meal and that helped.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:48 AM   #498  

I'm VERY concerned that newcomers are being given advice about how to cheat & the advice is encouraged. I hope most of them find us and treat obesity like the health crisis it is!

I was slowly dying and now I have my life back. No one "special" food or flavor is with that exchange
Old 05-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #499  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearciuil View Post
Down another 5.9lbs today at WI.

Has anybody had dental problems while on P1? I know I've developed three cavities since I started, and might be working on another one. It can't be acidic food, because there isn't any, but I wonder if eliminating dairy is having an unintended consequence. Yes, I'm taking the cal-mag as required.
A nutritionist explained to me that we take too much calcium in our society in general. Calcium from dairy is not needed at all. There is a lot of calcium in leafy green veggies. He talked about Asian diets that do not use a lot of dairy, and that population actually has less bone problems, heart plaque and teeth issues than dairy eating populations. In fact, there are studies that too much calcium may be promoting the plaque build up in arteries etc. With all that being said, I'd say that your dental problems are not from lack of calcium -- especially since you are taking your supplements.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #500  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

I found my teeth "filmy" all the way through the weight loss and they seemed to be more tender. But that went away about a week into maintenance. I just assumed it was a side effect of ketosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I'm VERY concerned that newcomers are being given advice about how to cheat & the advice is encouraged. I hope most of them find us and treat obesity like the health crisis it is!

I was slowly dying and now I have my life back. No one "special" food or flavor is with that exchange
I'm with you on this one Lisa - scary that people add in non-compliant stuff before they even give the program long enough to be really effective.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #501  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

I started reading a book last night called "The End of Overeating" by Dr. David Kessler, former head of the USDA under Bush and Clinton. SHOCKING and informative.

The first part of the book explains scientifically why we are led to overeat and the second part about how the food industries in the US are doing all that they can to support our high intake of sugar+fat+salt. His very vivid description of restaurant foods as being essentially fat on top of salt on top of sugar topped by fat is eye opening.

I am just starting the last part on how we can work with our brains to retrain them, learn about our emotional responses and fight this in order to reach and maintain a healthy lifestyle. It is well worth the read because it gives great insight into how hard we really must fight to overcome bad eating, fighting back our own body and society.

Goes back to what Lisa reminds us - that obesity is a full time, life time disease of which we must be aware and fight constantly. Given what Dr. Kessler says, the price of slipping and going back to the American eating habits is a critical mistake and one from which it is not easy to recover.

A slip is not just a slip and those of us who have fallen off know this. Dr. Kessler's research supports that putting this high fat, high sugar food into our mouths is taking days off our life. A slip potentially causes us to lose the repeated developing of new habits to break our bodies neurological and emotional dependence on the high created by the feel and response to fat and sugar.

I will remember that when my little fingers stray for that one leetle, teeny taste......(my manicurist told me yesterday I have nice long fingers...amazing what losing over a hundred pounds will do for them?)

Last edited by schenectady; 05-30-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #502  

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
I started reading a book last night called "The End of Overeating" by Dr. David Kessler, former head of the USDA under Bush and Clinton. SHOCKING and informative.

The first part of the book explains scientifically why we are led to overeat and the second part about how the food industries in the US are doing all that they can to support our high intake of sugar+fat+salt. His very vivid description of restaurant foods as being essentially fat on top of salt on top of sugar topped by fat is eye opening.

I am just starting the last part on how we can work with our brains to retrain them, learn about our emotional responses and fight this in order to reach and maintain a healthy lifestyle. It is well worth the read because it gives great insight into how hard we really must fight to overcome bad eating, fighting back our own body and society.

Goes back to what Lisa reminds us - that obesity is a full time, life time disease of which we must be aware and fight constantly. Given what Dr. Kessler says, the price of slipping and going back to the American eating habits is a critical mistake and one from which it is not easy to recover.

A slip is not just a slip and those of us who have fallen off know this. Dr. Kessler's research supports that putting this high fat, high sugar food into our mouths is taking days off our life. A slip potentially causes us to lose the repeated developing of new habits to break our bodies neurological and emotional dependence on the high created by the feel and response to fat and sugar.

I will remember that when my little fingers stray for that one leetle, teeny taste......(my manicurist told me yesterday I have nice long fingers...amazing what losing over a hundred pounds will do for them?)
I'm adding this book to my reading list.
Hmm...I need to grab some FUN reading for the beach this summer, however.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #503  

This book is NOT fun, unfortunately but truly eye opening. It is good to read and understand that this is a battle against American food companies who spend millions developing foods that will addict us to fat and sugar and leave us wanting more more more.

That being said, it is up to each and every one of us to fight this personally. We cannot change the marketing and advertising strategies of food industry and restaurants. We can only change our emotions, our thinking and what we put in our mouths.

We are stronger than they are and with this book, we can understand more of the war we are fighting.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #504  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

We almost need a thread (there probably is one) of just recommended book titles, blogs, websites etc. --- one with not a lot of chat about it. Just a place to list a good title. When I go to buy a good book, I can't remember where I read the info .... I need to make a "list" too I guess
Old 05-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #505  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
We almost need a thread (there probably is one) of just recommended book titles, blogs, websites etc. --- one with not a lot of chat about it. Just a place to list a good title. When I go to buy a good book, I can't remember where I read the info .... I need to make a "list" too I guess
I keep the list in the notes on my phone (what did we DO before smartphones? Oh yeah...spiral notebooks in the purse)

Here is my list (Some I own, some I need to get)
Brain over binge
Beck diet solution
refuse to regain
state of thin
Accidentally overweight
never going back: Al Roker
Secrets of a Former Fat Girl by Lisa Delaney
The end of overeating
Old 05-30-2014, 10:39 AM   #506  

Lisa - thanks for the list. A few I had read and the others I am locating. Of the ones I need, the library had only the Roker and Lisa Delaney book. Will try half.com for the others. Great sunshine reading material - I am fascinated to discover the science behind some of my issues and leanr how to fight back.

Last edited by schenectady; 05-30-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #507  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

My clinic recommended that book. I read it last fall. It is shocking. I love smart phones. I am one who will demand it when I wake up from surgery, ha!
Old 05-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #508  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Looks like the perfect time to start a new thread!

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-30-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Remove reference to a deleted SPAM
Closed Thread