3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   what makes the IP forum different from other diet forums? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/294713-what-makes-ip-forum-different-other-diet-forums.html)

65X65 04-12-2014 07:33 AM

what makes the IP forum different from other diet forums?

From time to time the philosophy of this forum gets a revisiting that banters about and even beats up the benefits of the kind of support which is available on this forum and what each member and poster hopes to get from the format.

Support. That is what we are all about and why we find ourselves here. Some new-comers want information only. Some need on going heavy duty support. Some want a lot of support initially and then take off running, others are more about sharing their journey, and are excited to find a community where that can happen. All great reasons to participate, and after almost 18 months on here I feel I know a lot of really wonderful, smart, strong, insightful and dedicated people. Some long-haulers like myself, feel the need to offer help because that is who they are...others feel the obligation to "pay it forward" or there is the need now to connect regularly with the friends made along one's own journey.

But the big deal and what makes a unique place here on 3FCs is we are not so much about what happens when one gives into cravings and crashes....then has to restart.

For sure there are reboot and the 90% threads where most of those convos are directed. Any other diet forum entertains those goings-on intermixed with every other topic and convo. Keeping that separate on the IP forum has allowed us to create striving for the 100% culture that is needed and not available ANYWHERE else. All other diets allow for cheats...they can be adjusted and hijacked to fix a stray quickly. Those diets did not work for a large number of people on IP. The forums where support is given for needing to allow for weekend transgressions, planned weekends, holidays birthdays or anniversaries are in abundance...they are the norm. Regularly people fall off the wagon and it's acceptable to do it, talk openly about it, and get back on. Cravings are part of any diet. IP for the most part reduces the physical craving but the psychological/emotional and social pieces of eating are still battles that need to be conquered. With the physical piece being addressed nicely for most after a few days/weeks...the opportunity to get the other pieces together for a successful maintenance and life ever after are the bonus for those who recognize and are looking for the tools to get prepared for that golden part of happily ever after. Over and over we see reference to " My Last Diet".

For this reason, it is important to keep most of the threads on the IP forum clean. There is the reboot where we can talk about the difficulties in staying in line and not drifting far from goal and what our own maintenance SHOULD look like. Which unlike P1-2, maintenance is not going to be the same for everyone. There is the 90% place where those who are OK with going a little slower or feel the need to confess how they are doing this with less than staying on plan. They might help someone who wants to know how many days and how much off plan before there is a noticeable shift in gain or ability to get back on track. This is real support need as well, but honestly...these needs can be addressed on any diet forum. That piece is part of any other diet and therefore is openly expected, addressed and a guilt free gimme zone.

From time to time with new participants this difference comes up, and the creation of places for these other postings questions and support is available. Perhaps we need to incorporate why this philosophy needs to be respected somewhere in the stickies. It is not the intent of anyone here to judge or ban anyone else. However; the need for the clean support on IP is critical. It is not something that can be found anywhere else on 3 FCs or the internet. It is worth preserving. We have people who have lost a significant amount of weight AND maintained the loss and there is one common denominator in the ones who can claim both of these accomplishments. That is lifestyle changes made easier by taking advantage of the emotional support that can drive a new life because the physical element of IP (ketogenesis) allows the reshaping of the mindset for that" happily ever-after" we all say we want.

Kudos to those who recognize and strive to preserve this. It is very special.

kathie

Ruth Ann 04-12-2014 07:55 AM

Nothing to add to your great post 65 - just a great big :hug: for you!

JLUS 04-12-2014 08:09 AM

Well said 65... THANK YOU!!

AmberLS 04-12-2014 09:48 AM

I have gotten amazing support from this group and I totally get what you're saying! In my own house my boyfriend claims that no diet works without cheat days so he doesn't quite get it. I'm two months OP tomorrow and I may not be able to say that if it wasn't from the stern support from the 100% OPers!

65X65 04-12-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberLS (Post 4982953)
I have gotten amazing support from this group and I totally get what you're saying! In my own house my boyfriend claims that no diet works without cheat days so he doesn't quite get it. I'm two months OP tomorrow and I may not be able to say that if it wasn't from the stern support from the 100% OPers!

Thanks Amber...This is the place for people who HAVE had "The talk" with themselves. We are not offended then when another member reminds us... If one has NOT had the talk with one's self...the tendency to become offended at the attitude here can be a bit of a surprise.

No offense intended...but no apologies for the culture here either.

catlady1981 04-12-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65X65 (Post 4982966)
Thanks Amber...This is the place for people who HAVE had "The talk" with themselves. We are not offended then when another member reminds us... If one has NOT had the talk with one's self...the tendency to become offended at the attitude here can be a bit of a surprise.

No offense intended...but no apologies for the culture here either.

65x65: I completely agree with everything you said.

I have gotten tremendous support from this forum and I am very grateful for the knowledge and encouragement I have gotten from long haulers as well as newbies like myself. I think that when you decide to make this the last diet, as well as incur the expense, it makes no sense to cheat yourself. That is how I view it. I have been completely OP since starting 6 weeks ago. I even gave away my craft beer stash! That was major. My health and long term goals are what I am focusing on right now. I think you have to reach a point where you say to yourself, "I'm worth it". :)

65X65 04-12-2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catlady1981 (Post 4982996)
65x65: I completely agree with everything you said.

I have gotten tremendous support from this forum and I am very grateful for the knowledge and encouragement I have gotten from long haulers as well as newbies like myself. I think that when you decide to make this the last diet, as well as incur the expense, it makes no sense to cheat yourself. That is how I view it. I have been completely OP since starting 6 weeks ago. I even gave away my craft beer stash! That was major. My health and long term goals are what I am focusing on right now. I think you have to reach a point where you say to yourself, "I'm worth it". :)

Absolutely. The other significant difference I wish to point out..is the difference between and unplanned slip and a planned cheat. These are two entirely different psychological events. They have nothing in common.

A slip----Very human. And we all strive to be better in everything we do...all the time. Sometimes a momentary weakness occurs. Sometimes well intentioned eating away from our own control results in getting something we would not have chosen. We find out the meat was "brinned" in a sugar solution ... after the fact. The Veggies were tossed in melted butter. Someone who slips...generally punishes themselves mentally way beyond anything anyone else could say or do.

Planned cheats by someone on the other hand, should incur no remorse. And an adult who chooses this plan of action should not feel they need to explain. This is CERTAINLY not sinning..but it is an intentional digression from the plan. The bottom sentence on the paper work given to me by my IP office was capitalized:

"NO CHEATING FOR THIS TO WORK...HAVE A GREAT WEEK!"

Staying on plan becomes a week by week effort. In truth day by day. For many and esp at the beginning it is hour by hour. Finding support to do that is MUCH harder and less abundant than being loosey goosey with this or any diet. If it was so easy to do there would be no need to find like minded strangers and souls somewhere to help followers manage and encourage strict adherence.

Me thinks some do protest too much.Too often.

SylviesGirl 04-12-2014 11:56 AM

I can say that the reason this plan has worked for me has been the 100% OP requirement. As was described on another thread, I am clearly an "abstainer." I can go without anything. The stricter, the better. When I allow myself too much leeway and things are blurry, I am in trouble.

I went a couple of months without coming back to this forum, mainly due to being busy and partly because I wanted to see what I had within myself to keep myself going rather than relying too heavily on this forum to keep me motivated and focused. I found that I could do it on my own. I did not NEED this forum to keep me OP. That said, I wanted to come back because I am forever grateful to those who helped me get "over the hump" when I first started and felt the need to contribute to that community and "pay it forward" as you have aptly described.

Upon returning a few weeks back, I did noticed a markedly more relaxed atmosphere as far as doing this plan and being "OP." A few times, I thought that a new Phase 1 protocol must have been issued because things being shared were clearly not OP as I knew it. When I found that it hadn't been, I was a bit confused. That's why I spoke up yesterday regarding the idea of a Wendy's chili salad for a meal replacement. I now see that it was one of my pals, Liana who said it and that she meant it in regard to later phases and maintenance. In context, that whole thing makes more sense now, and I hope I did not offend her by saying what I said. I think she understands that P1 is a whole 'nuther ballgame and, at least imo, the stricter you follow it, the better.

I guess I'm just rambling here, but wanted to lend my support to the idea that IP and this forum are different. Strict adherence is really the only way to go and it IS the dominant culture of this forum. Here-here. :hat:

65X65 04-12-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SylviesGirl (Post 4983016)
I can say that the reason this plan has worked for me has been the 100% OP requirement. As was described on another thread, I am clearly an "abstainer." I can go without anything. The stricter, the better. When I allow myself too much leeway and things are blurry, I am in trouble.

I went a couple of months without coming back to this forum, mainly due to being busy and partly because I wanted to see what I had within myself to keep myself going rather than relying too heavily on this forum to keep me motivated and focused. I found that I could do it on my own. I did not NEED this forum to keep me OP. That said, I wanted to come back because I am forever grateful to those who helped me get "over the hump" when I first started and felt the need to contribute to that community and "pay it forward" as you have aptly described.

Upon returning a few weeks back, I did noticed a markedly more relaxed atmosphere as far as doing this plan and being "OP." A few times, I thought that a new Phase 1 protocol must have been issued because things being shared were clearly not OP as I knew it. When I found that it hadn't been, I was a bit confused. That's why I spoke up yesterday regarding the idea of a Wendy's chili salad for a meal replacement. I now see that it was one of my pals, Liana who said it and that she meant it in regard to later phases and maintenance. In context, that whole thing makes more sense now, and I hope I did not offend her by saying what I said. I think she understands that P1 is a whole 'nuther ballgame and, at least imo, the stricter you follow it, the better.

I guess I'm just rambling here, but wanted to lend my support to the idea that IP and this forum are different. Strict adherence is really the only way to go and it IS the dominant culture of this forum. Here-here. :hat:

When the water gets muddy no one can tell how deep the pond is.

Ruth Ann 04-12-2014 12:14 PM

Yep SylviesGirl - you got it exactly, I will be forever grateful to the people here when I first started out who showed me that staying 100% OP was the way to make this work - to get the "most bang for my buck" so to speak.

I didn't always want to hear it and did my share of pouting about being "deprived" but once my mindset changed to "I can do this" it opened up a whole new world for me. Instead of worrying about what I couldn't have, I found a bunch of delicious food I could have. I learned new ways to cook, found new veggies, came up with creative ways to work through the hungries - all with the great support and advice here.

All we can do is offer what worked for us, help keep others on track when they are tempted to go off plan or have unintentionally gone off plan and keep sharing the knowledge. Whether someone uses the information or does whatever the heck they want is up to them. I really don't care which way they go - I do care that they have all the information and hopefully make decisions after weighing all that information and deciding what is the best course for them.

This is a great board with a lot of wonderful people who are willing to share their time and experiences to try to help other or celebrate the successes. That, in my opinion, is the most important aspect and makes this a great resource.

Ruth Ann 04-12-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schenectady (Post 4983025)
Oh, how well you have stated this, 65X65, and I could not agree more.

I am so appreciative of the difference in working on IP with the goal of 100% OP. I know that does mean we are all actually 100% for all sorts of reasons, part of that for people like me is the struggle to deal with stress and emotions.

But I do work on the principle of being 100% every day. I do not plan cheats, instead, I plan to work around whatever might bring me into contact with a potential cheat. That is a skill I need to master for all the years for the rest of my life.

In order to succeed (I am not at goal yet but at almost -100 pounds, I am getting there!) I must plan and calculate how I am going to handle special occasions, big birthdays, family gatherings, office parties, travel, etc so that I do not throw my body or my mind into a tizzy.

This is not an abstract thing on my part; those who have been here since I started in August know that I have fallen several times and it can be a very hard and lengthy time getting back up. If I knew how to successfully deal with my emotions and the curves which life throws, I would not have weighed close to 300 pounds. So I do know how this works - it works when every fiber of my being goes for the goal of being intensely and reflectively 100% OP.

You know we're all proud of you schenectady for the truly hard work you put into staying OP and your honesty and reflectiveness if you do stumble. You'll get there, you are a strong woman! Besides, it's probably too late to return all those adorable clothes you bought! :D

65X65 04-12-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schenectady (Post 4983025)
Oh, how well you have stated this, 65X65, and I could not agree more.

I am so appreciative of the difference in working on IP with the goal of 100% OP. I know that does mean we are all actually 100% for all sorts of reasons, part of that for people like me is the struggle to deal with stress and emotions.

But I do work on the principle of being 100% every day. I do not plan cheats, instead, I plan to work around whatever might bring me into contact with a potential cheat. That is a skill I need to master for all the years for the rest of my life.

In order to succeed (I am not at goal yet but at almost -100 pounds, I am getting there!) I must plan and calculate how I am going to handle special occasions, big birthdays, family gatherings, office parties, travel, etc so that I do not throw my body or my mind into a tizzy.

This is not an abstract thing on my part; those who have been here since I started in August know that I have fallen several times and it can be a very hard and lengthy time getting back up. If I knew how to successfully deal with my emotions and the curves which life throws, I would not have weighed close to 300 pounds. So I do know how this works - it works when every fiber of my being goes for the goal of being intensely and reflectively 100% OP.

Scenectady...you know how much I value your opinion and experience. Many of us have stated, this forum and the diet..in that order... are about what is in your head...then what goes in your mouth.

Thanks so many of you for your PMs today...WOW!!! I had no idea so many were feeling the same frustration...so am glad I spoke up. Figured it was my turn to get dragged through the mud again in the name of what the needs are for so many. No one ever said "I wish I hadn't tried so hard when reaching an accomplishment"...and having others celebrate success with with you is sweeter when you know how hard you worked, and are happy.

Myself, I miss the fact we see less frequent posts about the NSVs ...and how members planned or were succesful in navigating a holiday or social situation that was challenging.

Drawing strength from each other was what endeared this forum to me early in my journey. Honestly I would not have been able to survive this diet during my mother's illness and passing and my father's surgeries (dealing with it all long distance and the travel) during the year I was trying to lose with out the strong ladies from here ..(and men too...where did they go???) . Some had been on IP for a while...I hope they are having a wonderful life and drop in again to share and encourage. Those members were MY slavation...example and encouragement. They challenged me with out realizing it...that if they could do it...so could I. When I began IP...I think I did not fully grasp the commitment and changes that would need to take place in my life. The daily chat and other threads showed me the real truth to what I needed to sign up for. Forever grateful for that...and that is what really needs to paid forward.

drd1961 04-12-2014 04:25 PM

65, thanks for this message. You are always kind and full of good information. I almost think that this thread could be sub-titled, why IP is different than other diets. For example, I successfully lost weight on weight watchers years ago. I could have the treats and such, but I do not feel it taught me real healthy, clean(sorry but there simply are foods that are toxic to our bodies) eating, and in the end, it became easier and easier to stray on maintenance. I know others who do quite well on WW and it is a good diet for them. IP is very restrictive, but it really has made me think about what I put in my mouth and how it affects my whole body. Dealing with severe arthritis is not easy and my body is very temperamental. I am in pain all the time, and so I need to make sure that at least what I am eating will make me feel the best that it can. It is the MAIN reason I choice IP, the anti-inflammatory components are necessary. I know people do IP and don't do it 100%, but for me, I don't understand why. I would just do something less expensive like WW and maybe reduce carbs on that diet, not cheat on IP. It makes no financial sense to me and it makes no sense to reduce the effectiveness the foods on this diet have on the body. But that is me.

Again, thanks and have a great weekend!

KookySuki 04-12-2014 04:43 PM

No matter what diet we choose, everyone is on their own journey and that's why it's great there are diverse threads on this site. People are human and make mistakes. No one on this site deserves to judge or feel superior to others because of the way someone chooses to do IP. Doing alternative products is not technically doing IP, but do those people deserve to be judged? Those products are not on the IP protocol and for some can probably slow weight loss probably as much as an occasional cheat.

We're all adults here and I think the attempts to control the content of these boards needs to stop. I think it's great that there are threads for 100%'ers, 90%'ers, people who started IP in a certain month, etc. We're all different people at different ages, different family structures, and different issues with food, etc. I say that we respect each others' differences and not be so quick to judge or to try to control what is posted on the threads. Some things posted on the boards make me uncomfortable or annoyed, but guess what, I move on to a different thread when that happens. Let's be mature, respectful adults and if you don't agree with a certain thread, just stick to the ones you DO agree with.

I also don't understand what was meant by "cleaning up" the boards. What exactly does that mean? Kicking out the "riff raff" who occasionally cheat and aren't ashamed of it?!

65X65 04-12-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drd1961 (Post 4983140)
65, thanks for this message. You are always kind and full of good information. I almost think that this thread could be sub-titled, why IP is different than other diets. For example, I successfully lost weight on weight watchers years ago. I could have the treats and such, but I do not feel it taught me real healthy, clean(sorry but there simply are foods that are toxic to our bodies) eating, and in the end, it became easier and easier to stray on maintenance. I know others who do quite well on WW and it is a good diet for them. IP is very restrictive, but it really has made me think about what I put in my mouth and how it affects my whole body. Dealing with severe arthritis is not easy and my body is very temperamental. I am in pain all the time, and so I need to make sure that at least what I am eating will make me feel the best that it can. It is the MAIN reason I choice IP, the anti-inflammatory components are necessary. I know people do IP and don't do it 100%, but for me, I don't understand why. I would just do something less expensive like WW and maybe reduce carbs on that diet, not cheat on IP. It makes no financial sense to me and it makes no sense to reduce the effectiveness the foods on this diet have on the body. But that is me.

Again, thanks and have a great weekend!

I had someone near and dear (who needs to lose at least 100 lbs) to me say those exact words..."very restrictive"

My response was a gut reaction ..

......"this diet is not nearly as restrictive as being overweight ...

Annik 04-12-2014 04:48 PM

This thread should be a sticky!

AmberLS 04-12-2014 04:48 PM

What I've noticed is a few people lately and I'm sure it's always been this way, but they come and they ask questions like they want help and advice and but then they are completely resistant and seem offended when they don't hear what they want to hear I guess.

65X65 04-12-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KookySuki (Post 4983146)
No matter what diet we choose, everyone is on their own journey and that's why it's great there are diverse threads on this site. People are human and make mistakes. No one on this site deserves to judge or feel superior to others because of the way someone chooses to do IP. Doing alternative products is not technically doing IP, but do those people deserve to be judged? Those products can slow weight loss as much as a cheat now and then. We're all adults here and I think the attempts to control the content of these boards needs to stop. I think it's great that there are threads for 100%'ers, 90%'ers, people who started IP in a certain month, etc. We're all different people at different ages, different family structures, and different issues with food, etc. I say that we respect each others' differences and not be so quick to judge or to try to control what is posted on the threads. Some things posted on the boards make me uncomfortable, but guess what, I move on to a different thread when that happens. Let's be mature, respectful adults and if you don't agree with a certain thread, just stick to the ones you DO agree with.

There are so many forums for people who adjust diets to their own personality and needs...that work for them...why such a visceral reaction to a safe forum...{not threads...} for a prescribed diet?

No one has made any point as to why that narrow need should not be met and exist. Nada...zipp none.

KookySuki 04-12-2014 04:58 PM

I been on IP for about 6 months and have lost almost 60 lbs. I've had a few cheats planned and unplanned, but have jumped right back OP right away. I realize this is a "prescribed diet," but why the hostility towards people who make mistakes or have struggles or God forbid decide to eat pizza every once in awhile? I'm thrilled to death with my results and so are my doctor and my coach. A lot of us became overweight because of emotional eating or anxiety/depression, so being critical or stern of someone's mistake or cheat is most likely not going to help that individual.

drd1961 04-12-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65X65 (Post 4983149)
I had someone near and dear (who needs to lose at least 100 lbs) to me say those exact words..."very restrictive"

My response was a gut reaction ..

......"this diet is not nearly as restrictive as being overweight ...

Oh Lordy Lordy, Amen to that!

drd1961 04-12-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KookySuki (Post 4983159)
I been on IP for about 6 months and have lost almost 60 lbs. I've had a few cheats planned and unplanned, but have jumped right back OP right away. I realize this is a "prescribed diet," but why the hostility towards people who make mistakes or have struggles or God forbid decide to eat pizza every once in awhile? I'm thrilled to death with my results and so are my doctor and my coach. A lot of us became overweight because of emotional eating or anxiety/depression, so being critical or stern of someone's mistake or cheat is most likely not going to help that individual.

First of all, I think it is perceived hostility. Second, it is not about people who make mistakes or struggle, or even eat a pizza once in awhile. Heaven knows I can X all of the above.

I am going to tell a story, which is kind of absurd an not true, but I think it points out what the problem is.

I have a co-worker who noticed I lost weight and asks me for advise. I explain in simpler terms that carbs are restricted and the focus is on lean protein, and veggies. The co-worker says, oh, I have chocolate cake every day for lunch. How can I do that and do your diet to get fabulous results? I say, well, you cannot have chocolate cake every day and do this diet. You have to give up the chocolate cake and then once you lose the weight, have the chocolate cake every once in a while. Co-worker says,I cannot give up chocolate cake for lunch, but tell me please how can I do this diet, I need your help. I say, sorry, if you make the choice of chocolate cake every day, then you really need to find something else, because it simply does not work with this diet. Good luck, I hope you find something that works. Co-worker - boo, you are mean and unsupportive and do not understand my need for chocolate cake everyday. I cannot give that up.

Ok, that is all really silly and to the extreme, but co-worker is not making a mistake, and intentionally choosing to eat chocolate cake every day. The co-worker is struggling and unhappy, but until co-worker decides to make a change, nothing can really help. That is what I see in some people. They want the chocolate cake, they want it condoned, and then get miffed if they are told, um no, not on the diet.

OK, that is my fairy tale for the day..

KookySuki 04-12-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drd1961 (Post 4983165)
First of all, I think it is perceived hostility. Second, it is not about people who make mistakes or struggle, or even eat a pizza once in awhile. Heaven knows I can X all of the above.

I am going to tell a story, which is kind of absurd an not true, but I think it points out what the problem is.

I have a co-worker who noticed I lost weight and asks me for advise. I explain in simpler terms that carbs are restricted and the focus is on lean protein, and veggies. The co-worker says, oh, I have chocolate cake every day for lunch. How can I do that and do your diet to get fabulous results? I say, well, you cannot have chocolate cake every day and do this diet. You have to give up the chocolate cake and then once you lose the weight, have the chocolate cake every once in a while. Co-worker says,I cannot give up chocolate cake for lunch, but tell me please how can I do this diet, I need your help. I say, sorry, if you make the choice of chocolate cake every day, then you really need to find something else, because it simply does not work with this diet. Good luck, I hope you find something that works. Co-worker - boo, you are mean and unsupportive and do not understand my need for chocolate cake everyday. I cannot give that up.

Ok, that is all really silly and to the extreme, but co-worker is not making a mistake, and intentionally choosing to eat chocolate cake every day. The co-worker is struggling and unhappy, but until co-worker decides to make a change, nothing can really help. That is what I see in some people. They want the chocolate cake, they want it condoned, and then get miffed if they are told, um no, not on the diet.

OK, that is my fairy tale for the day..

I totally get that and agree that if you don't plan on following the protocol you shouldn't even attempt IP. I was just saying that people who make mistakes or intentionally cheat every once in awhile and make up for those mistakes by jumping right back OP shouldn't be judged.

I think people who plan on still drinking a glass of wine every night or eating chocolate cake everyday aren't compatible with IP until they are ready to give those things up until they are on maintenance and can have those things once in awhile. In my experience, IP allows for mistakes and cheats every once in awhile as long as I'm wiling to accept the set back and get back OP and stay there the vast majority of the time.

drd1961 04-12-2014 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KookySuki (Post 4983166)
I totally get that and agree that if you don't plan on following the protocol you shouldn't even attempt IP. I was just saying that people who make mistakes or intentionally cheat every once in awhile and make up for those mistakes by jumping right back OP shouldn't be judged.

I think people who plan on still drinking a glass of wine every night or eating chocolate cake everyday aren't compatible with IP until they are ready to give those things up until they are on maintenance and can have those things once in awhile. In my experience, IP allows for mistakes and cheats every once in awhile as long as I'm wiling to accept the set back and get back OP and stay there the vast majority of the time.

I think we can agree on that. However, what I have seen in some people is that they cheat, usually planned, then say, oh I will get right on it, and do, but something else comes up, cheat, and oh I will get right on it...so far, as far as I am concerned, no problem, because it is their choices. It is when after this repeating pattern they get on here and say, this does not work, I cannot lose, help me, and people ask for menu. From there it gets defensive because in my opinion that person is simply not ready to commit yet, because they are not owning their consequences. We have had people on here whining that we are mean because we say they should not have their "chocolate cake" . I have said all day, if you cheat, accept the consequences, do not turn on the people you have just asked for help when they point out that it is not on plan.

drd1961 04-12-2014 05:30 PM

And now, because I am on maintenance and can, I am going out to dinner with my daughter and eating what I like because it is a planned fun day. I do find that all the IP training kicks in and I make good choice. Have a great evening!

KookySuki 04-12-2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drd1961 (Post 4983169)
I think we can agree on that. However, what I have seen in some people is that they cheat, usually planned, then say, oh I will get right on it, and do, but something else comes up, cheat, and oh I will get right on it...so far, as far as I am concerned, no problem, because it is their choices. It is when after this repeating pattern they get on here and say, this does not work, I cannot lose, help me, and people ask for menu. From there it gets defensive because in my opinion that person is simply not ready to commit yet, because they are not owning their consequences. We have had people on here whining that we are mean because we say they should not have their "chocolate cake" . I have said all day, if you cheat, accept the consequences, do not turn on the people you have just asked for help when they point out that it is not on plan.

That makes sense. I think in that case people should rely on their coaches more and re-evaluate why they are doing IP. I thought this thread was about anyone who cheats should get off the boards and not participate.

lisa32989 04-12-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KookySuki (Post 4983172)
That makes sense. I think in that case people should rely on their coaches more and re-evaluate why they are doing IP. I thought this thread was about anyone who cheats should get off the boards and not participate.

That is where perceived "hostility" or "judgement" comes from.
No one said anyone shouldn't participate. That was perceived.

There are, however times that I think people should evaluate whether IP is the program for them. It certainly isn't for everyone. That statement is neither good nor bad, it just is.

Unfortunately, not everyone has coaches to rely on, either B/c they don't have a coach or they have one of the crappy ones.

Every time I see someone saying there is hostility or judgment, I'd like to show them some extremely hostile PMs I've gotten. THOSE are hostility. When people get upset b/c they're receiving good, solid p1 IP advice for staying OP, that is their own mind creating hostility or judgement.

Btw:65 & drd...lotsa "likes" from me as I read today. So much good for staying OP and making IP work in our lives. I believe it saved mine.

KookySuki 04-12-2014 06:31 PM

I agree that IP is not for everyone, people need to come to that conclusion themselves. When I see that stuff on the boards where someone is constantly eating off plan and not losing and may or may not be complaining about it, I keep my thoughts to myself. It's really that person's problem that they're wasting money on IP and not following protocol. I just don't like to get involved in that stuff.

65X65 04-12-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KookySuki (Post 4983159)

Suki..its the planned stuff...the intentional. And the telling someone else..it's OK... ?? It's got to be Ok for you. You should not need someone else to OK it for you. Giving or getting (meaningless) absolution {someone who does this cares not a fig for how another does...more likely it is consciously seeking company for someone's own decision not to comply} it is not the kind of support that will help.

It seems there are two minds on this..and sharing a safe place where the planned stuff is not going to pop up, be discussed, approved and become the focus on threads in a forum originating to give guidance and understanding to those who chose a difficult and specific diet is not only deemed OK by some, but there is the intent to indicate some success might be had with out total adherence. It is that mindset that disregards the methodology of how the diet is supposed to work best. It muddies the best information available, suggesting to those seeking to learn and understand that the guidelines don't need to be strict, and its acceptable to test the limits of ketosis. (On a personal level...I beleive this is true...it is OK for anyone to test.)

BUT...Talk about giving IP or any of the companies producing alternatives a cash cow!! Gotta hand it to you!!! LOL...Maybe that is the motivation!!

While it may be true... everyone is not insulin resistant..there are a significant number who are and will not see what the diet can do, possibly give up and lose both money and time if they feel the guidelines are meaningless....then discover the diet doesn't work so good because they have been led to think adherence is not a requirement for success.

And then there is the attitude of person A that anything person B might do is not their concern...even if the behavior/experience of person A was a contributing factor. Let 'em figure it out on their own? That's support???

I have never said every one needs to be 100%...or even close. I think and this is me..that those people who make that decision need to keep that a personal decision...and let everyone act/test if they feel they must on their own. Awareness of the impact our shared behavior has on another is a responsibility.

Once we decide we have the right to share...we own the responsibility to do so wisely and with care. And we own those results too.

drd1961 04-12-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KookySuki (Post 4983172)

Ha, I think it would be an empty board. My clinic actually turns people away if they feel their resolve is mot strong enough to do IP as written. They know it is hard and people need to be mentally ready. It took a surgeon telling me my hips need replaced to slap me int the face and get me serious enough to do it. Dieting is hard work and IP is one type and this board is devoted to that. If a person is intentionally not following maybe they should go somewhere else. Sympathy from people who have worked very hard to work this diet correctly should not be a given to someone who does not have the intent to do it as written.

Jenny38 04-12-2014 08:37 PM

Kathie, you started a great discussion and I hope to see this theme follow back into other discussions. IP is a tuff program, there have been many over weight people who have asked about my weight loss and what program I'm doing. When I say a few words about how restrictive it is it they don't ask much more. Regardless I agree that being overweight is more restrictive.
I support that this sight needs to stay committed to providing accurate information, support, accountability, and applause because for me it has helped me stay on track since September and I hope for many years in maintenance when I get there.

65X65 04-12-2014 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny38 (Post 4983226)
Kathie, you started a great discussion and I hope to see this theme follow back into other discussions. IP is a tuff program, there have been many over weight people who have asked about my weight loss and what program I'm doing. When I say a few words about how restrictive it is it they don't ask much more. Regardless I agree that being overweight is more restrictive.
I support that this sight needs to stay committed to providing accurate information, support, accountability, and applause because for me it has helped me stay on track since September and I hope for many years in maintenance when I get there.

Thanks jenny and best wishes! Your support is appreciated...seeing this site drift so far from where it was a year and a half ago has been difficult. I am out spoken, but hesitated a bit to do this...and am amazed at the response. The positive reaction has been reinforcement the need for a strong group committed to getting it right and sharing the journey is really what is wanted the most.

In the work place ...( I'm retired now...) we used to call it "best practices" ....and successful companies shared those best practices with each other. I say it's time we get about the business of helping each other succeed on this plan again. And even for those in maintenance...the support here is invaluable.

It's easy to become a lifetime member...the only requirement is intention to help others stick it out and find their success and good health. It is amazing what the right support will do.

I'm exhausted! Good night all.....

AmberLS 04-12-2014 09:04 PM

So the other day at a meeting I was sitting next to a girl doing IP and as I was drinking my shake she asked me about how long I had been on and how much weight I lost, did I think it was too hard, was I hungry all the time, etc. Well I told her all my answers and that sometimes I have a hard time eating all the food, that I think 8oz of meat and 4 cups of veggies is a lot some days. Well during this conversation we discovered that I've been on plan a little longer than her and lost quite a bit more weight. She says she's always hungry and she doesn't think the diet is working. Well come to find out she is cutting her veggies in half "No way can I eat 4 cups of veggies a day" she tells me, then she says "I also cut the meat amount in half, I figure less calories has to be better" I cringed... I've been lucky enough to not be a fad dieter but I could tell she was and that she didn't actually understand how IP worked and how the body worked. She's essentially using IP products and starving her body.. she wouldn't listen as I tried to give advice. She almost seemed to be mad that I tried to tell her she needed to follow the plan for it to work. I wonder if she has a coach and if they know what she's doing! That's bad IP publicity and as far as I'm concerned it's cheating not in the traditional sense of a diet but it's intentionally not following protocol!

JLUS 04-12-2014 09:23 PM

One point I continually try to address is when people post either misinformation (almost always unintentional), comments with their personal interpretation of IP stated as if it is IP protocol, or post variations in menus/packets/serving sizes etc that are not aligned with IP.

I feel that people who are new to this board and especially those new to IP may not even realize that statement is a variation from IP. They are potentially then going to incorporate it into their own IP program thinking it is part of the protocol. Stating what IS IP and what is a variation from IP as a follow-up response to a post (with out judgement but simply stated as information) is very important. As we all know, many people come here without coaches or with poor coaches who themselves are passing along poor information to their paying clients. Giving them clear information is quite valuable.

Anyone is free to follow IP as they choose, with any percent of dedication they want, and with any personal changes they want to make, but I do think everyone at least deserves to make those choices armed with all the correct information available as to what is IP and what is not.

... Warrior on one and all!!

Slipfree 04-12-2014 10:17 PM

Laurie, I absolutely agree with your comment.

Ruth Ann 04-12-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLUS (Post 4983260)
One point I continually try to address is when people post either misinformation (almost always unintentional), comments with their personal interpretation of IP stated as if it is IP protocol, or post variations in menus/packets/serving sizes etc that are not aligned with IP.

I feel that people who are new to this board and especially those new to IP may not even realize that statement is a variation from IP. They are potentially then going to incorporate it into their own IP program thinking it is part of the protocol. Stating what IS IP and what is a variation from IP as a follow-up response to a post (with out judgement but simply stated as information) is very important. As we all know, many people come here without coaches or with poor coaches who themselves are passing along poor information to their paying clients. Giving them clear information is quite valuable.

Anyone is free to follow IP as they choose, with any percent of dedication they want, and with any personal changes they want to make, but I do think everyone at least deserves to make those choices armed with all the correct information available as to what is IP and what is not.

... Warrior on one and all!!

Exactly Laurie! It's not just the particular poster you're giving information to, it's everyone who is reading. Like you said, everyone is free to do what they want but they should do so armed with correct information.

mckaren4 04-13-2014 12:40 AM

I don't mind posters sharing their trigger foods or strict interpretation of the plan that's working for them but when they start critiquing the carb count of ideal protein approved veggies and saying some ideal protein brand foods are not in the protocal-that to me is misinformation. I don't personnally eat shellfish but I would never say it wasn't part of the protocal. Its just a personal preference and should be stated as such
And the impression to me as a newbie is this forum is just a mutual admiration society
There is a lot of good here and I think everyone comes with good intention but expecting to please all posters all the time is unrealistic-i was bothered that some posts were deleted last weekend and hope everyone feels comfortable enough to share their journey without personal attacks. And I make mistakes and appreciate when I am corrected because I would not want to lead anyone astray. The person with a c still passes the class-and the a students cant understand why they didn't go for the -a
ok my rambling is done-i love ideal protein and I am glad I found this forum and even if I don't agree with each post-i am proud to be part of this great diverse community of dieter's! And I hope everyone continues to share their wisdom with the masses.

vachinyc 04-13-2014 09:48 AM

Thanks, as always, for the wise comments 65. I have been finding myself on the boards less and less and missed it...but couldn't put my finger on why. You captured it. I chose IP after a good bit of time researching and reading...and at a point in my life where I was ready to commit. For me, the strict parts (that work) were what I was seeking. Having you folks around to help me understand that it works, and that it means hard choices, but that it's all worth it...was invaluable.
I truly understand that weight loss is personal and each person has to do it in away that works for them. But, I also could not agree more that having a space where we can live and learn the real rules is important. There were times I had to walk away from the boards because I didn't want to start believing that it was ok to only follow the plan sort of. I just didn't need help falling down that slippery slope.
The 100 percent thread has been a wonderful resource. And while I've wanted to be more active in other spaces, for me, I needed the reinforcement of the plan the way it was written.
Thank you so much for sharing this perspective. I was happy to see it today because I had dinner with a good friend last night who proceeded to tell me all the things that were 'wrong' with how I chose to lose weight. And why didn't I try something sensible but more moderate. I love her - we're both opinionated - but I had to politely (and repeatedly) say that this was my personal choice and it worked for me and that I couldn't be happier or healthier. (Sadly she also then critiqued everything I ate. Oy vey!)
Hope you all have a great weekend.

PS Ruth Ann and Laurie: exactly! :)

65X65 04-13-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vachinyc (Post 4983445)
Thanks, as always, for the wise comments 65. I have been finding myself on the boards less and less and missed it...but couldn't put my finger on why. You captured it. I chose IP after a good bit of time researching and reading...and at a point in my life where I was ready to commit. For me, the strict parts (that work) were what I was seeking. Having you folks around to help me understand that it works, and that it means hard choices, but that it's all worth it...was invaluable.
I truly understand that weight loss is personal and each person has to do it in away that works for them. But, I also could not agree more that having a space where we can live and learn the real rules is important. There were times I had to walk away from the boards because I didn't want to start believing that it was ok to only follow the plan sort of. I just didn't need help falling down that slippery slope.
The 100 percent thread has been a wonderful resource. And while I've wanted to be more active in other spaces, for me, I needed the reinforcement of the plan the way it was written.
Thank you so much for sharing this perspective. I was happy to see it today because I had dinner with a good friend last night who proceeded to tell me all the things that were 'wrong' with how I chose to lose weight. And why didn't I try something sensible but more moderate. I love her - we're both opinionated - but I had to politely (and repeatedly) say that this was my personal choice and it worked for me and that I couldn't be happier or healthier. (Sadly she also then critiqued everything I ate. Oy vey!)
Hope you all have a great weekend.

PS Ruth Ann and Laurie: exactly! :)

THANK-YOU...What a relief to find out I was not alone. My own journey is semi-over. At least for the losing part...LOL...My words on this actually are..."Its NEVER really over..."

... and I got so much from the past nature of the site, it is good to know others want and do need that kind of support to get to the finish line. Again..doesn't mean those who don't want or need that are wrong..just those folks can quite easily get what it is they are seeking, with out disrupting the bricks and mortar of the protocol for readers who are trying to get traction. When the answer to a post that is giving accurate IP info is disputed and starts a discussion that is antagonistic, it indicates the real purpose of the community has either changed...or been lost.The IP forum, as is the diet... very unique, and meets a specific need for it's followers. That had disintegrated. The last 18 hrs I am loving reading the NSVs again and chatty posts about living with/on IP...and the feel good vibes from everyone who feels satisfaction they got through another day or meal on plan.

Step by step....it's a victory walk!!!

Hiker88 04-13-2014 10:45 AM

I finally got around to reading this thread and agree that I am on here to get support and accurate information. 3FC's has been a great community for me. Of course its the same as any community... there are those who don't take IP as seriously as others... sometimes I read a post and think some people just don't get it!! I love the 100% thread because people there have the same outlook as me on how IP should be followed.

That being said, I also come here for support... it was hard to come on 3FC's and admit my failings but sometimes we just need a cheering squad to encourage us to get back on the horse. I need to feel that I can come here for that help and not be looked down upon because I stumbled. I'm human and might mess up but I count on this forum to help me keep going.

Thanks for the encouragement over the past few months...

drd1961 04-13-2014 10:46 AM

I just posted before and after pictures. If IP is the "wrong" way to lose then why the heck do I look so much healthier after? :D