3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Irritable bowel syndrome and IP (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/294428-irritable-bowel-syndrome-ip.html)

Pukka8 04-03-2014 06:26 PM

Irritable bowel syndrome and IP

Hello

Is there anyone else out there with IBS doing IP? If yes, I would love to hear from you and learn from your experience!

In retrospect, I have had IBS for several years (contribute to the weight gain as I would also lean towards 'comfort' carbs) but was only diagnosed two years ago. I tend to experience nausea, bloating, bad cramps and occasional D. I take prescription meds with each meal and use Immodium or Gravol when I am not feeling well or having a flare.

When I first started IP, I was amazed at the changed in my IBS. It didn't go away but it got much better. I think in part because I was not eating gluten (I am not celiac but gluten and my gut don't get along) and alcohol. And once I stopped eating sugar alchohols (especially mannitol), that was a big help.

I sometimes do have to suck on a scotch mint when I am not feeling well and these are not P1 approved. My coach knows and said I may have to expect slower losses but I am okay with that.

Would love to hear from others about their experiences and what foods are / are not working for you!

canadjineh 04-03-2014 06:54 PM

Hi there Pukka8: I have IBS as part of my Fibromyalgia but I don't have a problem if I eat gluten free. Not celiac as far as the tests say, but VERY allergic (asthma, skin breakouts, and joint pain as well). There are a few things that are gluten free in IP packets but it's pretty limited and I also had to use some of my own vitamins as they could not guarantee some of theirs were Gfree.

Stay away from any IP packets that do not say gluten free - your coach should be able to access a list. I still lost all my weight using very limited kinds such as the Broccoli cheddar soup, Dark chocolate pudding, lemon poppyseed restricted bars, Peach Mango & Pina Colada drinks and that was about it for 4 months. I am at maintenance now and things are much easier - I don't use IP for my post "Funday" recovery day, I just use Vega protein powder for a smoothie or Garden of Life Raw Foods protein powder smoothie. No gluten and almost no carbs and seriously tasty with 15-20 grams of protein.

I would suggest that if you feel better going gluten free, go for it - who cares if you get a technical diagnosis. Your actual health is what counts!

You can message me if you need more info or you can also follow a thread for those with special dietary complications.

Liana
:comp:

canadjineh 04-03-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pukka8 (Post 4977016)
Hello

Is there anyone else out there with IBS doing IP? If yes, I would love to hear from you and learn from your experience!

I sometimes do have to suck on a scotch mint when I am not feeling well and these are not P1 approved. My coach knows and said I may have to expect slower losses but I am okay with that.

Would love to hear from others about their experiences and what foods are / are not working for you!

BTW, try a cup of peppermint or ginger herbal tea when you are having a bad day instead of the mint candy. No carbs and actually works better. That's what I do when guts are cranky.