Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #61  
Member
Thread Starter
 
beardude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 45

S/C/G: 360/289/220

Height: 6.0

Default

Thank you Mars735. That's my thoughts too!
beardude is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #62  
On IP since Mar 26, 2014
 
kaylynt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 69

S/C/G: 198.5/187/120

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
The tricky part is whether that slice of bread will trigger you to want more more more. In P3 & P4, you might also face this, so it's a preview (lol) from which to learn about yourself. One other suggestion: if you have a choice about the bread, go for something that's a 5-6/10 on a scale of appeal rather than something absolutely delicious that will be harder to limit. Good luck!
Well said. Thanks for the advice. My problem is one thing leads to another and then I can't get back OP.
kaylynt is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #63  
Member
Thread Starter
 
beardude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 45

S/C/G: 360/289/220

Height: 6.0

Default

I am pretty good when it comes to will power. I quit smoking cold turkey. I also gave up my diet soda when I started this program cold turkey. That in itself, is amazing in my mind. I was adamant that I was not giving it up. But stopped the day I started the program and haven't had any since! I don't think I have a problem with having a piece of bread or something like a dish of pasta and getting back on plan!
beardude is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #64  
maintaining since 9/2013
 
mars735's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 1,958

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylynt View Post
Well said. Thanks for the advice. My problem is one thing leads to another and then I can't get back OP.
Someone on another thread linked an interesting article about abstainers & moderators. You sound like me: a obligate abstainer! I'll try to find and post the link when I get home from work this afternoon.

Another thing that helps me to get back OP is to avoid recrimination and beating myself up about what I ate, and I absolutely do not overcorrect by extra-rigorous dieting after a slip--both trigger more slips. It's more effective to be self-compassionate about the slips, and leave room for non-judgemental curiosity--what's going on inside that led to or triggered them?
mars735 is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #65  
maintaining since 9/2013
 
mars735's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 1,958

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardude View Post
I am pretty good when it comes to will power. I quit smoking cold turkey. I also gave up my diet soda when I started this program cold turkey. That in itself, is amazing in my mind. I was adamant that I was not giving it up. But stopped the day I started the program and haven't had any since! I don't think I have a problem with having a piece of bread or something like a dish of pasta and getting back on plan!
Maybe that puts you into the moderator category (she said wistfully, lol)! Being a devil's advocate, I would offer this thought: giving up cigs & soft drinks ARE major feats of will power. Eating a little of a favorite-type food might actually be more difficult, though, because it isn't an all-or-none proposition. Rooting for you either way!

Last edited by mars735; 04-11-2014 at 11:50 AM.
mars735 is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #66  
Member
Thread Starter
 
beardude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 45

S/C/G: 360/289/220

Height: 6.0

Default

lol! True! Not going to say that bread is a favorite food of mine. Before the diet I could do without it, but since I've been on plan, it has been my only craving. Not a constant craving, but occasional. Would love to have a burger with a actually bun! lol! Sick of using lettuce leaves to trick myself into holding my burger patty like a real burger! bawhahaha!
beardude is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #67  
Member
Thread Starter
 
beardude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 45

S/C/G: 360/289/220

Height: 6.0

Default

Seen this on a website...

There’s no right way or wrong way–it’s just a matter of knowing which strategy works better for you. If moderators try to abstain, they feel trapped and rebellious. If abstainers try to be moderate, they spend a lot of precious energy justifying why they should go ahead and indulge.

You’re a moderator if you…
– find that occasional indulgence heightens your pleasure–and strengthens your resolve
– get panicky at the thought of “never” getting or doing something

You’re an abstainer if you…
– have trouble stopping something once you’ve started
– aren’t tempted by things that you’ve decided are off-limits
beardude is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #68  
maintaining since 9/2013
 
mars735's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 1,958

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardude View Post
lol! True! Not going to say that bread is a favorite food of mine. Before the diet I could do without it, but since I've been on plan, it has been my only craving. Not a constant craving, but occasional. Would love to have a burger with a actually bun! lol! Sick of using lettuce leaves to trick myself into holding my burger patty like a real burger! bawhahaha!
lol....I'm with you on that, and I have many many more things like that in my head. That's our brains trying to trick us into eating more carbs! But in a way, I think a crispy leaf of lettuce might really taste better than stale white hamburger bun, if I subtracted out the forbidden appeal of the bun.

My remedy is to try on clothes and revel in how lose the old one are! Always celebrate success--it leads to more success!
mars735 is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #69  
Senior Member
 
drd1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 544

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardude View Post
Seen this on a website...

There’s no right way or wrong way–it’s just a matter of knowing which strategy works better for you. If moderators try to abstain, they feel trapped and rebellious. If abstainers try to be moderate, they spend a lot of precious energy justifying why they should go ahead and indulge.

You’re a moderator if you…
– find that occasional indulgence heightens your pleasure–and strengthens your resolve
– get panicky at the thought of “never” getting or doing something

You’re an abstainer if you…
– have trouble stopping something once you’ve started
– aren’t tempted by things that you’ve decided are off-limits
This is interesting. Thank you.
drd1961 is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #70  
Senior Member
 
kdspirited's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 247

S/C/G: 153/139/120

Height: 5.0

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
Correct... Thought it is not an "extra" packet... You still do two unrestricted and one restricted. You can have your full 8ox of meat at lunch w/veggies and THEN have packet and veggies at dinner. If you decide to split the meat between two meals, you still would have the packet at one of the meals (your choice which one, though most have it at lunch when splitting the meat serving.)

I think you got it now!
YUP got it I miss quoted extra I meant my regular 3rd packet. I have been following the routine for two days to the T. Lets see what happens so far I have gained 2lbs :-)

Hope it levels out
kdspirited is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #71  
Started IP 5/13/13
 
dak1lls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 843

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardude View Post
I am pretty good when it comes to will power. I quit smoking cold turkey. I also gave up my diet soda when I started this program cold turkey. That in itself, is amazing in my mind. I was adamant that I was not giving it up. But stopped the day I started the program and haven't had any since! I don't think I have a problem with having a piece of bread or something like a dish of pasta and getting back on plan!
I quit smoking "cold turkey" as well, many years ago. I think I substituted food, which is partly why I ended up fat! Big shocker. lol. I see you quit diet soda at the time you started IP, did you quit smoking at the same time? I gotta hand it to you, that takes some dedication.

As for bread and pasta. Once I began maintenance I started indulging in some bread and pasta, and boy did I end up with cravings! I think some people are more carb sensitive than others. I felt like a junkie that needed a fix. I found out I can't eat that stuff. Kind of a bummer, but I have come to the realization that there are other things I can have and I do feel so much better. I also started eating more of a Paleo diet and that gives me some goodies that are better for me and don't set me up for cravings.

Good luck to you on your IP journey. I am so excited to see how well you do. 58 lbs is awesome. When I started I couldn't imagine getting to goal, and now I feel like a new person. I am happy for you just knowing how you will feel when you get to that point and look back and realize, "hey, that really didn't take so long!" and "dang, I look good!" Don't get too discouraged by the minor stall. It is completely normal and it will pass.


Last edited by dak1lls; 04-11-2014 at 07:07 PM.
dak1lls is offline  
Old 04-12-2014, 01:19 AM   #72  
Senior Member
 
kdspirited's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 247

S/C/G: 153/139/120

Height: 5.0

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
I think the problem is that people post on this board and say they are not losing, they do not understand. When they show what they are eating, and it is not IP protocol(for whatever reason good or not) and people point that out, they get defensive.

I say own it. If you are not following the protocol because you don't want to or cannot because of your life situation at least own the fact that at times your weight loss will not be as good as when you follow it as it is laid out. But don't complain when it does not work as well as you think it should if you as an adult made the decision to not follow it. I am not sure I would pick this diet if fresh veggies were not available to me. I live on them and look forward to my two big salads everyday.
DRD I think you should understand that people come to this forum to find strength, guidance and in some cases solace. Demonizing them for asking a question is not only unfair but also a little condescending.
We all appreciate help that we get here and should be encouraged to ask instead of following bad protocol. That is sometimes all it takes to learn from others experiences and get back on track. Its not about owning or denouncing anything sometimes its just about reaching out to keep yourself in check. Some of us have lives and circumstances that does not always allow us to be in ideal situations all the time. Please encourage people to ask questions and express themselves and try to be less judgemental
kdspirited is offline  
Old 04-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #73  
Senior Member
 
drd1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 544

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdspirited View Post
DRD I think you should understand that people come to this forum to find strength, guidance and in some cases solace. Demonizing them for asking a question is not only unfair but also a little condescending.
We all appreciate help that we get here and should be encouraged to ask instead of following bad protocol. That is sometimes all it takes to learn from others experiences and get back on track. Its not about owning or denouncing anything sometimes its just about reaching out to keep yourself in check. Some of us have lives and circumstances that does not always allow us to be in ideal situations all the time. Please encourage people to ask questions and express themselves and try to be less judgemental
Yes, and people offer help and when everything offered is rejected? That is the problem I see sometimes.

Again, what I said is NOT demonizing or judgmental but matter of fact. It is taking responsibility for ones actions. What you do has consequences. I actually like bear's little blurb about two different type of people because it explains how one person can bend the rules a bit and be ok and another person bends the rules and it ruins things. That is why it is helpful to have the two threads, 90% and 100% and a person has to examine themselves and determine where they belong and also after a time examine what they are doing and be honest with themselves about if it is working and be WILLING to change if it is not. This diet is very much about changing and if a person cannot change what they are doing that made them fat, they will not succeed. This is not preachy, condescending, but what we all should be looking at. If I, you, anyone does not change, and continue to monitor that change and work at keeping this change, I, you, anyone will continue to be fat. A little honesty with ourselves is needed.
drd1961 is offline  
Old 04-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #74  
Started IP 04/22/2013
 
Ruth Ann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,943

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
Yes, and people offer help and when everything offered is rejected? That is the problem I see sometimes.

Again, what I said is NOT demonizing or judgmental but matter of fact. It is taking responsibility for ones actions. What you do has consequences. I actually like bear's little blurb about two different type of people because it explains how one person can bend the rules a bit and be ok and another person bends the rules and it ruins things. That is why it is helpful to have the two threads, 90% and 100% and a person has to examine themselves and determine where they belong and also after a time examine what they are doing and be honest with themselves about if it is working and be WILLING to change if it is not. This diet is very much about changing and if a person cannot change what they are doing that made them fat, they will not succeed. This is not preachy, condescending, but what we all should be looking at. If I, you, anyone does not change, and continue to monitor that change and work at keeping this change, I, you, anyone will continue to be fat. A little honesty with ourselves is needed.
Spot on drd!

kdspirited - drd is one of the most helpful and supportive posters we have. I've never seen her be judgmental or condescending but rather very straightforward and honest - with others and herself.

The problem with a forum such as this is you cannot read tone in the words. It's always best to just assume that the poster giving advice has good intentions and is trying to help until proven otherwise.
Ruth Ann is offline  
Old 04-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #75  
IP start Aug 2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 8,219

S/C/G: 260.2/165

Height: 5'5"

Default

What I see is this thread has lost it's titled focus.

It started out as a concern about a "stall".

Then it became about a planned cheat.

The strange thing to me is the OP started both topics. I don't usually see someone who is hugely worried about WL slowdowns then , almost in the next breath, plan a cheat, which is sure to cause a slowdown.

Then when people who have managed to stay OP, even when eating out, offer advice for how to stay OP, they get told off and told they have demonized the OP (I didn't see anyone demonizing), and told they aren't being supportive when support for staying OP is exactly what is being offered.

So, if the thread isn't about a stall anymore, I suggest the OP close it.

Last edited by lisa32989; 04-12-2014 at 08:58 AM.
lisa32989 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:19 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.