Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #31  
Restarted IP 03/23/2015

S/C/G: 171/134.2/140

Height: 5'2", 56 yrs

Hello everyone - this seems like a good spot to jump in with my question. If not, feel free to redirect me.

I was planning to stay on P1 through surgery, which is May 7. I had my check in today, and the coach had e-mailed the "IP office" about it. Their advice was to phase off the program and get into P4 one week to 10 days prior to surgery as follows: 3 days P2; 3 days P3, then P4. No multi-vitamins, vitamin E or Omega 3 due to possible anti-coagulation ramifications. Post op: wait at least one month or when the surgeon deems appropriate before going back to P1. They say that I cannot heal and diet at the same time, unless my physician gives me the okay to continue. The surgeon is of course, not my family physician, so I'm not sure what his opinion would be, and wouldn't have an opportunity to ask since I won't see him again until the 7th since he is an hour away from my home. There is a pre-op clinic visit on April 16, but I'm not sure how knowledgeable they would be about the diet, or whether their opinion would be any different than the IP office. Besides that, I don't want to leave it until that late to make a decision.

I've just surpassed my original goal, but added 10 lbs more, so have 9 to go. I am thinking I would like to stay on P1 for two more weeks to see how I make out with the 9, but my question is: what does P4 look like? Is it the same as P3? Is there a protocol for P4? The literature I received from the coach today is all about P2 & P3, but not what to actually eat on P4.

My apologies if I've missed this info in another thread, and thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #32  
Restarted IP 03/23/2015

I did find some info on P4 in the "Phases" thread, which I will print out. Of course I would find it right after posting, but still open to any input on phasing off so quickly. That sounds like a lot of catching up on eating in a short amount of time. Thanks!

ETA And now I have found the P4 .pdf. Sorry, should have looked a little longer first.

Last edited by RA 2; 04-02-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #33  
maintaining since 9/2013

After reading through this thread, I experimented today with eating bigger and fewer meals, as I seem to be either eating or hungry a lot of the time:

Breakfast: protein shake with coffee, half orange, tofu sheet wraps filled with lettuce, julienne carrots, scallion, olive oil, basil.

Lunch; green salad with veggies, 1/2 small avocado, WF Italian dsg; marinated tofu;

Snack: more marinated tofu (handy to carry around when doing errands)

Dinner: grilled chicken breast, butternut squash, broccoli

Evening Snack: orange half

I like the feeling of freedom from frequent small meals (though dinner feels a little heavy at this moment). Thank-you everyone for posting meal plans & so many helpful ideas!

I think at first I expected phase 4 to feel more familiar. In reality, there's no going back to that relationship to food. It's now a totally different landscape, a little strange at first, but feeling more & more 'normal'.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #34  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA 2 View Post
I did find some info on P4 in the "Phases" thread, which I will print out. Of course I would find it right after posting, but still open to any input on phasing off so quickly. That sounds like a lot of catching up on eating in a short amount of time. Thanks!

ETA And now I have found the P4 .pdf. Sorry, should have looked a little longer first.
My coach told me that many of his clients customize their phase offs and do fine. He didn't seem to think it's critical to do it the way IP recommends. He has a lot of clients, but I have no idea how well they fared with keeping their weight off long term, which of course is the rationale for the IP way.

Many people keep losing after phasing off because the increased food raises their metabolism at first. You might get this whoosh, though 9 lbs. sounds like a lot for this phenomenon, and your goal is to not lose around the time of surgery...

re postop healing: I recall Weight Watchers guidelines used to allot extra food for pregnancy, nursing, or recovery from surgery or trauma. It makes a huge difference if you provide your body the extra needed nutrition.

Congratulations on reaching goal #1!

Last edited by mars735; 04-02-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 251/208/180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
Quote:
Good for you for finding this...!! It really reinforces reality for most who are able to hit goal or be pretty close to hitting a personal success point with IP..and it has been stated in a lot of posts in bits and pieces and all together by many who have "experience" in the maintenance journey. It takes at least 6 months to see if you are being successful. It's not like the weekly or monthly data points we rack up in P1...Patience is really necessary as well as conscious self monitoring to see what is working. A new and much longer journey...that about describes maintenance. And one that as this post states, is really enhanced IP ...using real food and self discipline.

After all..that is what any diet needs to morph into once the end point is attained. This is not just the "maintenance for life" need of IP's protocol!

Best of luck to all who are reading and posting here and tying to figure it out...sharing your personal tidbits is helpful..and motivates me to stay on track...actually more important to do that NOW than it was on P1. Never even imagined that was going to become apparent...because I never thought about it the way I do now!!
65 Thank you I couldn't agree more!!! we were on a diet now we are learning the livet Took me 49 1/2 years to get to this mind set, I can't expect all of that to wash away simply. I need to learn, read absorb and recondition my brain. That is what this thread is about for me. A lot of respect and appreciation for your continued contributions, this is something that I to feel is amazing to have learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
[/I][/COLOR]
Like Like Like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
Thanks for all your work on this thread. It is a great idea and is much needed. I have been gobbling it up eagerly as I start moving into a maintenance head-space.
Thank you SylviesGirl, I love knowing that I am not alone and this is something needed by others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliehel View Post
Hi again!
Here is what is on the menu today:
B-0% Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt with 10 raspberries
1/2 tbsp light butter on 2 low fat whole grain waffles with WF syrup, and 2 turkey sausages

L-2 cauliflower taco shells with 2 light swiss laughing cow cheeses and 4oz roast beef and lettuce with 1/2 tbsp regular thousand island dressing

D-6oz 94% lean ground turkey, 2 cups zucchini, sprouted grain penne pasta (measured 2oz dry) and a 1/2 c Brownstone marinara (lowest sugar-for those who watch the real housewives of NJ Caroline Manzo's brand )

S-around 3pm 0% non fat plain greek yogurt with 2 tbsp PB2
S-around 8pm Ideal Protein unrestricted BBQ crisps and 4 tbsp PB2 and 4tbsp fat free cool whip (just discovered this-like ice cream)

I forgot to mention that I do track everything in My Fitness Pal. It is important to be accountable. I play with my food to be sure I am within range. I usually don't eat my exercise calories back but have if I'm extra hungry and it doesn't seem to hurt me.

Here is the cauliflower taco shell recipe:

You process a head of cauliflower

Microwave for 5-6 minutes stirring halfway through

Once done squeeze excess water with a cheesecloth or whatever you have. This really makes a difference, they stay together much better.

I add 2-3 eggs depending on the size of the head. You could use egg whites. I did during phase I. I add in Fat Free cheddar. A serving size is 1/4 cup but I just eyeball it since it is spread out among the whole head of cauliflower.

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes on parchment paper then flip and do another 15 minutes.
I have been making them and freezing them since it is sooo time consuming and they are fine.

Enjoy!!!!
Jellie
So excited about this post.... wow great information. PB2 so amazing you mention this. I have someone at work who knows how much I love and miss peanut butter who brought me PB2, it is like angels singing for me LOL 1.5 G of fat and 5 Carbs and I get the flav of peanut butter yeahhhh. With low fat cool whip, really get outta here, I wanna run to the store this minute for that one!!!! Will definitely try this recipe. I use fitness Pal also, love that you can scan bar code and it gives all the info!!! It has the IP food which makes life real easy. I agree, I have no clue without logging it. I hope everyone gets what I got from your post. awesome tx.

Quote:
After reading through this thread, I experimented today with eating bigger and fewer meals, as I seem to be either eating or hungry a lot of the time:

Breakfast: protein shake with coffee, half orange, tofu sheet wraps filled with lettuce, julienne carrots, scallion, olive oil, basil.

Lunch; green salad with veggies, 1/2 small avocado, WF Italian dsg; marinated tofu;

Snack: more marinated tofu (handy to carry around when doing errands)

Dinner: grilled chicken breast, butternut squash, broccoli

Evening Snack: orange half

I like the feeling of freedom from frequent small meals (though dinner feels a little heavy at this moment). Thank-you everyone for posting meal plans & so many helpful ideas!

I think at first I expected phase 4 to feel more familiar. In reality, there's no going back to that relationship to food. It's now a totally different landscape, a little strange at first, but feeling more & more 'normal'.
Mars
You put this so beautifully a gem that I have copied and will reference. This is exactly it. I expected it to feel familiar when I reached maintenance only to realize I am in a new place in the end!!! Wow see this is a morsel I would copy and repost!!! love it!!!

THANK YOU ALL SOOO MUCH I WAS SO EXCITED TO READ ALL THE POSTS!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #36  

MORSELS FOUND IN 2010 FOR MAINTAINERS

Quote: 2010
Originally Posted by WannabeIP
is low fat cottage cheese a protein or a fat? I say protein as it is like 16 gr and only 1.5 fat but it is cheese???
A protein for Phase 4, surely. But fat isn't the issue, I think. Look at the carbs and sugar. Here are the stats for 4 ounces nofat small curd cottage cheese -- as low as you can get unless it is much more processed.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...st_nut_edit.pl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaerinb
haha, thanks for calming me down xanthia down two lbs from yesterday this morning. i feel so guilty eating so much. nonfat plain greek yogurt with a little splenda and vanilla extract is my new favorite and i'm thrilled to have whole wheat english muffins but it just feels so WRONG!
I'm counting on you calming me down in a few weeks girl! This is the part where people freak out because you are introducing balance back into your life. Losing weight is easy compared to maintenance. Losing weight is black and white, and maintenance is a grey area. Your body WILL find balance, but it has been in a chaotic state for how long now? It needs time to get back into that healthy swing of things.

You've learned a lot of good tools with this diet. Veggies at lunch and dinner is a good one. So on maintenance you might have pizza, but it might be a slice or two with a salad and some veg! Not just the old way of slamming down as much pizza as you can and washing it down with cheezy bread or whatever. Having a good fulfilling breakfast will help your whole day as well, as opposed to downing a coffee and a sugar filled treat and setting yourself up for a bad day of eating.

Originally Posted by WannabeIP
I have pondered about this myself..... I think I will continue with lower carb options where possible (flax bread, low carb wraps, whole wheat everything, lean meats, protein suppliments & lots of veggies) low glycemic foods, keep the fats and carbs separated as much as possible, lots of water, exercise, rest and generally be healthy, really think about what I am consuming and make smarter choices, no mindless eating, eat to live not live to eat and one meal at a time. 10 days and its cheat to treat, phase 4 here I come, whoop whoop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak
I agree... if you just keep your pantry stocked with good choices, you're less likely to slip up. I don't really want to do counting and measuring all the time... I'm trying to keep a close watch to see what happens when I eat or do certain things. Maintenance is still an experiment of sorts for me. But I monitor the scale so it doesn't get too far off base, and make sure my skinny clothes still fit.

BevS is probably more precise in her approach, so hopefully she'll give another point of view.
Hi, Ladies, I have loosened up quite a bit in my approach. I still weigh and measure my breakfast foods, but I usually just eye it the rest of the day. I'm not eating as much in the evenings as I was in phase 3. I just don't want that much food. If I use whey powder, I do measure for that. It's just easier for me. I'm more likely to have a treat now when someone else is. I'm still at the same weight as when I reached goal. I vary a pound or two either way. I weigh myself every morning. If I'm up a bit, I watch it more that day. I agree with both of you on your choices. I read labels and am aware of what I'm eating. No mindless eating. Keep the kitchen stocked with good choices. Go lower carb where possible. Keep large amounts of fats and carbs separate. I'm still taking the supplements and drinking lots of water. My hair isn't falling out as much as it was--whew! Anyway, I think we can do this!

THANK YOU TO THE WRITERS OF THESE POSTS GREAT INFO HOPE IT HELPS OTHER ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
Old 04-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #37  

Sharing one from the maintainers thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
KCdoe: I thought the best advice I found was to continue eating what you ate in P1, P2, and P3. Then in P4 you add a small amount of carbs like a half a sweet potato.

Here is a sample of my day.
Bk: 1 cup mixed berries. 1/2-3/4 c nf greek yogurt (depending on my weight), 1-2 T almond butter or 1 0z almonds, and 1low carb Big Valley Waffles. Lately I have dropped the waffles as I am working on up pounds.

Lunch: 2 c spinach or arugula, 2 c veges, 6oz protein, sometimes 2 t salad dressing or lemon juice if I am trying to lose.

Dinner: Unlimited veges: Ethiopian cabbage, Indian String beans, greek red cabbage, Roasted veges including parmesan onion rings or cauliflower made with egg beaters or olive oil,shredded zuchinni noodles, artichokes
My proteins are Tandoori Chicken, Greek chicken, Ethiopian Berbere shrimp, Mexican carne asada, Fish tacos.

I do not track calories..just cut back when I need to. I counted the calories, proteins, fiber, fat when I moved to P3 breakfasts.
thank you Malie this was very helpful!!! I copied to the maintenance what are you eating thread I started, Do you blame the "going up in lbs" to the waffles are you doing anything else to cause it? I ask wondering because this looks like a perfect maintenance day to me?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #38  

copied from 2010: Nice little tip;
One of the best tricks I have when eating pasta when you are a volume eater is to put steamed veg like broccoli or a fave on the bottom of your bowl, add your noodles and sauce on top. It brings it up to a nice level, has lots of fiber and tastes good without the huge serving of pasta! I've found if I put the veg on top, it doesn't mask how small the pasta serving is. Plus, your veg get sauced and it is a nice change.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #39  

whooo this was gold...I'm in phase 3 have grabbed a cheat but not gone this far glad I read it:::: sharing from 2010

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitakitten View Post

what were the consequences of you not doing it correctly? I have been in phase 3 since past saturday and I am actually loosing weight. I have had one slip though, so it would be really great to know your experience IF you did have a slip up during phase 3. Granted I am walked more than 10 miles since saturday, done pilates a few times and trained at the gym. I have to say that on sunday I think my scale showed 125ish and yesterday at the gym it was 128 but still lower than before phase 3 (I was 129ish). I am thinking it might be the glycogen reserve build up which would actually be welcomed as it has to happen anyways so better now than later.

I think it was day4 of phase 3, started with chocolate on a sat night didnt end till sunday with a massive waffle cone and the in between wasnt any better. I think I was up about 6 pounds monday morning (normal after the consumption of that much crap, it was ugly!!!!!) then I went to phase 1 but it took me a week to get rid of that 6 not the one day thing of phase1, I think I put my body into carb shock & overload after being so good for so long then BAM. Anyway... so week of phase 1, back to where I was before my camping trip, week of phase 2 and 2 weeks of phase 3 with no cheating should put me to where I need to be, ya ..... I am fundamentally lazy when it comes to working out and I have only just started exercising in the last couple weeks but that probably would have helped me. Or really just stuck out phase 3 for another 10 days..... would have been the best solution
Old 04-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #40  
maintaining since 9/2013

kcdoe: I love that last post from 2010 about cheating! Thanks for doing the research. This is a truism that I'm living: maintenance is as much a mental thing as finding the right WOE. I never read self-help books before but I tried some that Maile mentioned & they have all been enormously helpful: mostly Brain Over Binge. I've read others too and patched together from each one what works for me & disregarded what doesn't fit.

After P1 I had some experience with binge eating that I never had before. I gained 12 lbs over the holidays. Each time I went back on P1, I was triggered to binge after a week or so. It was very humbling! I still long for that 'perfect dieter' that I lived from P1 thru the start of maintenance, when I couldn't stop losing weight and thought I had permanently lost interest in junk food. But I now feel more myself, more relaxed in regard to food: I know I'm totally fallible but also capable of course correction over & over, if necessary. The weight does not magically re-appear with a slip here & there that's promptly corrected.

Last edited by mars735; 04-03-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

All of this is real common sense eating, which is what we all need to do to stay on the straight and narrow to maintain, but there is still the issue of carb sensitivity.
The book "The art and Science of low Carbohydrate Living" by Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney had the best advice for me personally... the take away message for me, with my instinct that I am very carb sensitive, was people who are carb sensitive should GO SLOW on adding carbs after a ketogenic diet...I never did the P4 thing adding those carbs at dinner regularly...I knew it was NOT going to be good for me. And I don't miss it.

Gaining during maintenance is scarier for me than seeing those normal fluctuations during weight loss...you KNOW it's likely real in maintenance. When you are 100% compliant in the loss stages...you know there is no way its fat. A much kinder reckoning with the numbers.

It goes back to how over weight were you...and for how long. That is pretty telling on how you will tolerate a diet with carbs. I do not separate the fat and carbs...but my diet is on the lower end in carb intake, getting carbs daily from vegetables, nuts and berries. So I don't find that rule necessary to maintain. I avoid rice and potatoes other than a nibble...and the only really starchy thing I eat is an occasional rice cracker with cheese. Really have increased the vegetable portions of my diet though eating them 3X a day...but careful with beans other than green beans, and the things like sweet potatoes and beets. I pay particular attention to the glycemic index of the veggies, and don't keep a daily tab of calories or carbs. I just know food numbers and the daily diet I have worked out now is ball park plus or minus 1200 cals and under 40g carbs or on a higher day between 40- 50 g carbs which for my BMR works. Adding things like more than a taste of chocolate, wine or some GF item like bread or cookies ...will necessitiate days of P1/2 with daily weighing and abstinence to get back! NOT WORTH IT!!! That is a personal reckoning though...at 65 I don't ever want to spend months of what life I have left trying to lose weight.

Last edited by 65X65; 04-03-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #42  
Restarted IP 03/23/2015

Quote:
My coach told me that many of his clients customize their phase offs and do fine. He didn't seem to think it's critical to do it the way IP recommends. He has a lot of clients, but I have no idea how well they fared with keeping their weight off long term, which of course is the rationale for the IP way.

Many people keep losing after phasing off because the increased food raises their metabolism at first. You might get this whoosh, though 9 lbs. sounds like a lot for this phenomenon, and your goal is to not lose around the time of surgery...

re postop healing: I recall Weight Watchers guidelines used to allot extra food for pregnancy, nursing, or recovery from surgery or trauma. It makes a huge difference if you provide your body the extra needed nutrition.

Congratulations on reaching goal #1!
This is very helpful. Thank you! This forum is an invaluable resource and so friendly and supportive. Congrats to all of you for making it such a great place.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Default My maint. menu

Hi all:

I've lost another pound so I will have to watch that things don't get out of hand but here's my menu from yesterday (posted on another thread too)

From MFP so #'s are cal, carbs, fat, protein, fibre, sugars

BREAKFAST
Blue Diamond - Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk Updated, 10 oz 50 3 4 1 1 0
Nature's Path - Mesa Sunrise Gluten Free Cereal, 3/4 Cup 120 24 1 3 3 4
Market Pantry - Tequila Lime Chicken Breast, Ultra-thin Deli Slices, 2 oz (56g) 60 1 3 9 0 0
Sunmaid - Raisins, 1/8 cup 65 16 0 1 1 15
Add Food Quick Tools 295 44 8 14 5 19

LUNCH
Cauliflower - Raw, 0.34 cup 9 2 0 1 1 1
Generic - Baby-Cut Carrots, 2.8 carrots (85g) 3oz 6 1 0 0 0 1
Green Onion - Green Onion Raw (Whole), 0.5 medium (15 g) 3 1 0 0 0 0
Uncle Ben's Bistro Express (Canada) - Quinoa and Brown Rice With Garlic Flavour, 187.5 mL (90 g) 195 36 3 5 3 0
Veggie - Broccoli (Raw), 1 Cup (91g) chopped 30 6 0 3 2 2
Lilydale - Turkey Breasts (Oven Roasted, Seasoned, Carved), 0.25 container (27 strips (50g) ea.) 158 2 3 32 0 2
Huy Fong - Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, 6 tsp (5g) 30 6 0 0 0 6
Saporito - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 tsp (10 ml) 40 0 5 0 0 0
Add Food Quick Tools 471 54 11 41 6 12

DINNER
Freybe (Cdn) - Ham Garlic Sausage, 30 g 55 1 4 4 0 1
Generic - Bell Peppers-mixed (Yellow, Orange, Red), 0.33 cup 6 1 0 0 1 1
House Foods - Tofu Shirataki (Spaghetti Noodles) (Correct), 4 oz. 20 3 1 1 2 0
Mushrooms - Raw, 2 medium 8 1 0 1 0 1
Onions - Raw, 0.4 medium (2-1/2" dia) 18 4 0 0 1 2
Quality Clover Leaf - Grated Parmesan Cheese, 2 tbs 70 0 5 6 0 0
Saporito - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 tsp (10 ml) 40 0 5 0 0 0
Squash - Zucchini, includes skin, raw, 0.5 medium 16 3 0 1 1 2
Tre Stelle - Traditional Light Feta, 6 cm cube (30g) 140 0 10 14 0 0
Vegetable - Celery Stalk 7 -8" Long (Kym), 1 stalk 6 1 0 0 1 1
Classico (Canada - Fire Roasted Tomato & Garlic Pasta Sauce, 1/2 cup 60 10 2 2 3 6
Danone (Canada) - Oikos 0% Greek Yogurt, Plain, 3/8 cup (175g) 50 4 0 9 0 2
Danone Oikos - Canada - 2% Greek Yogurt Strawberry on the Bottom, 50 g 50 7 1 4 0 5
Welch's - Wild Blueberries (Can) Frozen, 0.25 cup 20 5 0 0 2 3
Add Food Quick Tools 559 40 28 42 11 24

SNACKS
Apples - Raw, with skin, 0.75 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb) 54 14 0 0 2 11
Curves - Yogurt & Berry Bliss Protein Bar, 1 bar 180 23 6 13 8 8
Add Food Quick Tools 234 37 6 13 10 19

Totals 1,559 175 53 110 32 74
Your Daily Goal 1,590 199 53 80 25 60
Remaining 31 24 0 -30 -7 -14

And yes about 1/2 my days I eat over goal on cal. just usually not more than 200. I am not a gonzo exerciser either as I have Fibromayalgia and Arthritis.

Liana
Old 04-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #44  
IP -9/15/13 @goal 1/18/14

S/C/G: 184.4/157 /137

Height: 5'4

Wow, I've away from the boards for a week or so and have missed all this activity. I have been struggling with how many carbs make your meal a 'carb' meal and how many fats make your meal a 'fat' meal. And for combining, I get the no butter on bread or potatoes, but what about a cereal that's got fat and carbs - is it a percentage that defines it? Can/should I only have fruit for breakfast? Is dairy a fat, protein? My nonfat yogurt is a ton of protein but not many carbs and no fat - so how do I count it, protein or carbs. These are the things I struggle with.

Here's what I ate yesterday:
B: 1 Vitatop muffin with 2 teaspoons of Almond butter, 3 tblspns egg whites with herbs, 1 cup sliced strawberries, coffee with 1 teaspoon of fat free milk
L: 4 ozs broiled cod over romaine lettuce, sliced asparagus, 1/2 cup mushrooms, 1/2 cup chopped cucumbers, 4 kalamata olives, 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
D: 3 small tortilla chips, 2 ozs sliced raw tuna, 1/2 cup green beans, 6 ozs broiled salmon, 1 vodka martini, 3 olives. (and 1 bite of cheesecake)

Since I the dinner involved alcohol and the cheesecake, I'm on a P2 day today.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdcslim View Post
Wow, I've away from the boards for a week or so and have missed all this activity. I have been struggling with how many carbs make your meal a 'carb' meal and how many fats make your meal a 'fat' meal. And for combining, I get the no butter on bread or potatoes, but what about a cereal that's got fat and carbs - is it a percentage that defines it? Can/should I only have fruit for breakfast? Is dairy a fat, protein? My nonfat yogurt is a ton of protein but not many carbs and no fat - so how do I count it, protein or carbs. These are the things I struggle with.

Here's what I ate yesterday:
B: 1 Vitatop muffin with 2 teaspoons of Almond butter, 3 tblspns egg whites with herbs, 1 cup sliced strawberries, coffee with 1 teaspoon of fat free milk
L: 4 ozs broiled cod over romaine lettuce, sliced asparagus, 1/2 cup mushrooms, 1/2 cup chopped cucumbers, 4 kalamata olives, 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
D: 3 small tortilla chips, 2 ozs sliced raw tuna, 1/2 cup green beans, 6 ozs broiled salmon, 1 vodka martini, 3 olives. (and 1 bite of cheesecake)

Since I the dinner involved alcohol and the cheesecake, I'm on a P2 day today.
Hi: My coach and the IP video clips suggested that breakfast is a time to not worry about the combo of carbs & fats (your body is powering up for the day and will use it all). I have had gluten free pizza for breakfast (not leftovers - freshly made with lots of veg & lower fat proteins like chicken, crumbled x-lean ground beef, shrimp & a fair amount of shredded cheese) I also have nuts or seeds raw added to my cereal along with raisins, or a Mexican style omelette using whole eggs with homemade guacamole and salsa on it.

Don't stress too much over the actual carb fat ratio when trying to do a carb poor meal. I've found that I am easily staying at maintenance weight (I even lost a lb since my last weigh in) if I try to keep it 1:1 or slightly less carbs if I can. Don't worry about a ratio of 1:3 carb:fat, it's very difficult to get unless you only eat lettuce and full fat cheese with an oily dressing or nuts for lunch.

Here's an example of my day's menu - sorry it's very detailed but I cook from scratch and eat a lot of very different recipes.

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
Blue Diamond - Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk Updated, 12 oz 60 3 5 2 2 0
Generic - Banana - Large 8 Inches! , 0.75 banana (136 g) 91 23 0 1 3 12
Generic - Egg Large- Hardboiled, 1 egg 78 1 5 6 0 1
Add Food Quick Tools 349 51 11 12 8 17

Lunch
Wendy's - Asian Cashew Chicken Salad, Full-size, 1 salad 380 33 13 36 6 18
Add Food Quick Tools 380 33 13 36 6 18

Dinner
Classico (Canada) Di Piemonte - Red Wine and Herb Pasta Sauce, 1/2 cup 60 10 2 2 2 6
Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.25 cucumber (8-1/4") 11 3 0 0 0 1
Saporito - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 0.5 tsp (10 ml) 20 0 2 0 0 0
Tre Stelle - Traditional Light Feta, 6 cm cube (30g) 140 0 10 14 0 0
Vegetable - Small Avocado, 0.5 small (200g with skin & pit) 161 9 15 2 7 1
Generic - Bell Peppers-mixed (Yellow, Orange, Red), 0.5 cup 9 2 0 0 1 1
Generic - Grape Tomato Raw, 1.5 oz (approx. 12 tomatoes) 13 3 0 0 0 2
Green Onion - Green Onion Raw (Whole), 0.5 medium (15 g) 3 1 0 0 0 0
House Foods - Tofu Shirataki (Spaghetti Noodles) (Correct), 2.64 oz. 13 2 0 1 1 0
Cauliflower - Raw, 0.5 cup 13 3 0 1 1 1
Catch of the Day - Basa Fillets - Canada, 0.5 Fillet 60 0 2 10 0 0
Nature's Path - Mesa Sunrise Gluten Free Cereal, 0.1875 Cup 30 6 0 1 1 1
Kraft (Canada - Calorie Wise Greek Feta & Oregano Dressing, 2 Tbsp (15ml) 60 2 6 0 0 0
Add Food Quick Tools 593 41 37 31 13 13
Baked crushed cereal coated Basa filet with stirfried cauliflower and pasta sauce on shiritaki noodles & greek salad

Snacks
Vega One - Protein Smoothie - Tropical Tango, 1 scoop 90 4 0 15 1 2
Nuts - Raw Walnuts, 0.25 cup shelled (50 halves - 100g) 164 4 16 4 2 1
Add Food Quick Tools 254 8 16 19 3 3

Totals 1,576 133 77 98 30 51
Your Daily Goal 1,790 224 60 90 28 68
Remaining 214 91 -17 -8 -2 17

This day I was under calories - not by trying... and you will notice that my carb-poor and fat-poor meals were switched for the day because I was out at lunch and had a Wendy's salad. If I had wanted a carb-poor (fat-rich) salad at Wendy's I would have had the Apple Pecan Chicken salad with extra blue cheese.

Here's today's diary so far (& I will probably have a handful of nuts for a snack this afternoon since I could add more fats before supper).

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
Garden of Life Raw Protein-cacao Kiss - Protein Powder, 26 grams 90 5 1 18 4 1
Blue Diamond - Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk Updated, 8 oz 40 2 4 1 1 0
Sunmaid - Raisins, 1/8 cup 65 16 0 1 1 15
Raw Nuts - Filberts, 10 nuts (14 g) 88 2 9 2 1 1
Add Food Quick Tools 403 49 15 25 10 21

Lunch
Bragg - Liquid Aminos - All Purpose Seasoning From Soy Protein, 2 tsp (2.5ml) 0 4 0 12 0 0
Cabbage - Raw, 1 cup, shredded 17 4 0 1 2 3
Green Onion - Green Onion Raw (Whole), 1 medium (15 g) 5 1 0 0 0 0
Onions - Raw, 0.25 medium (2-1/2" dia) 12 3 0 0 0 1
Squash - Zucchini, includes skin, raw, 0.5 medium 16 3 0 1 1 2
Veggie - Broccoli (Raw), 1 Cup (91g) chopped 30 6 0 3 2 2
Great Value - Lemon Juice, 2 tbl 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sambal Oelek - Ground Chilli Paste, 1 tsp 30 0 0 0 0 1
Adam's (Canada) - 100% Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter, 1 tbsp 100 3 8 4 1 1
Cloverleaf (Canada - Chunk Light Tuna In Water, 1 can, drained 120 0 1 30 0 0
Danone - Oikos Greek Yogurt 2% Plain, 17.5 g 13 1 0 2 0 0
Patak's - Lime Indian Style Pickle - Canada, 2 tablespoons 70 2 6 1 1 1
Add Food Quick Tools 413 27 15 54 7 11
Stirfried veggies with a quickie homemade indonesian peanut sauce, and tuna mixed with yogourt and hot lime pickle indian style

I hope this may help you get some ideas.
Liana
Closed Thread