Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #31  
IP started 12/17/2013

S/C/G: 195/163/155

Height: 5'4"

Default Too many veggies

I'm on week 14. Ketostix barely showed pink from the beginning but I was mostly losing 1-2 lbs. a week.
Stalled at about weeks 11-13.
I finally figured out that I was eating too many listed veggies. Duh!
Now I'm burning purple and losing again.

Note to self--measure raw veggies.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 300/249/180

Height: 5'10"

Dcs8026 good luck! Yesterday was my day 1 and my 1st weigh-in is next We'd too!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 215/159.2/135

Height: 5'4

A little frustrated today... My scale has been refusing to budge much the past two weeks... I've been stuck between 190.9 and 192 for two weeks. Well not much to do about it other than stay on the plan and know that it will eventually start going down again because quitting will make the scale go up and that just won't do!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #34  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by danilynn View Post
Runnergirl68: here is the info that mars735 was talking about.

Non-restricted:
80-150 calories
Less than 30% calories from fat
Less than 8 net carbs
15-18 grams of protein

Restricted:
160-200 calories
9-20 net carbs
12-15 grams of protein

Make sure your info is within these guidelines -- this is what i got from the thread -- which has helped me to decide my food.

Regarding the 4 cups of veggies. that is true, you split them per lunch and dinner. (2 cups each) however you can split it up how it will fit your needs to keep you satisfied throughout the day in addition to your unlimited lettuce.
danilynn: Thanks for putting it here so conveniently! I will hang onto it in case of reboot.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 156/148/111

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
3 suggestions:
1) I just looked up Detour Bars and the first 2 flavors both contain 340 calories, 30 g protein. I don't think any of IP restricted are over 240, and most are lower. 30 g of protein is more than IP bars, and can end up being converted by your body to glucose. Have you checked the IP Alternatives thread? There might even be a sticky teeling you exactly what the protein/fat/carb make up of IP is. You absolutely can do fine without IP brand! Many people order alternatives online from Nashua Nutrition

2) Make sure to have 2 tsp of olive or grapeseed oil each day.

3) Water is essential to weight loss & health while on this diet, so absolutely get in minimum 64 oz/day. I used Mio flavoring to make it a little easier.

4) well, actually another suggestion: make sure your veggies from the IP list? it should be exactly 4 cups, NOT more than 2 cups at any one time. Most kinds of lettuce are unlimited. The reason is to be so rigid about these things is to get into the fat burning state of ketosis.

I tink you will get out of the stall by switching out your Detour bar for something more IP-like. Read that IP Phase 1 protocol and follow it to a tee, and check out the Alternative thread. Keep us posted. You are doing great!
The Detour bars in Canada are 190 calories, 7g fat, 16 g carbs and 15 g protein.

Thank you for the suggestions - very helpful! I'm going to give these a try.

I appreciate this forum - everyone is so wonderful with the support and advice.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 215/159.2/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillybee123 View Post
Good Luck!!! You will do great!!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #37  
IP Start Date: 3/27/14

S/C/G: 241.2/see ticker/175

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Good luck to you too!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
3 suggestions:
1) I just looked up Detour Bars and the first 2 flavors both contain 340 calories, 30 g protein. I don't think any of IP restricted are over 240, and most are lower. 30 g of protein is more than IP bars, and can end up being converted by your body to glucose. Have you checked the IP Alternatives thread? There might even be a sticky teeling you exactly what the protein/fat/carb make up of IP is. You absolutely can do fine without IP brand! Many people order alternatives online from Nashua Nutrition

2) Make sure to have 2 tsp of olive or grapeseed oil each day.

3) Water is essential to weight loss & health while on this diet, so absolutely get in minimum 64 oz/day. I used Mio flavoring to make it a little easier.

4) well, actually another suggestion: make sure your veggies from the IP list? it should be exactly 4 cups, NOT more than 2 cups at any one time. Most kinds of lettuce are unlimited. The reason is to be so rigid about these things is to get into the fat burning state of ketosis.

I tink you will get out of the stall by switching out your Detour bar for something more IP-like. Read that IP Phase 1 protocol and follow it to a tee, and check out the Alternative thread. Keep us posted. You are doing great!
Quote:

Non-restricted:
80-150 calories
Less than 8 net carbs
15-18 grams of protein

Restricted:
160-200 calories
9-20 net carbs
12-15 grams of protein

Make sure your info is within these guidelines -- this is what i got from the thread -- which has helped me to decide my food.

Regarding the 4 cups of veggies. that is true, you split them per lunch and dinner. (2 cups each) however you can split it up how it will fit your needs to keep you satisfied throughout the day in addition to your unlimited lettuce.
Thanks Danilyn - this is REALLY helpful!! I feel like I have been floundering with knowing what I should eat vs. what I shouldn't! The guidelines will hopefully get me back on track and actually losing!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing but didn't look it up like Spydergirl did (NICE!)

Do you have the little graphic that helps you align all alternatives with IP nutrition standards? It is the second (?) post on the most recent alternative thread. REALLY important to be sure all items match. (I bumped the thread so you can find it quickly).

There is NO MAGIC in the actual IP packets and you can be equally successful on alternatives IF you are very careful in selecting the right items. No need to buy IP... Save your money for all the new clothes you will need soon! ��
I like that advice!! I love clothes, but right now hate clothes shopping!
How many carbs, fat and protein (total) should a person have per day on the IP program? This will help me figure out if I'm going over.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner68girl View Post
I like that advice!! I love clothes, but right now hate clothes shopping!
How many carbs, fat and protein (total) should a person have per day on the IP program? This will help me figure out if I'm going over.
The beauty of IP is you do not count those items... You just eat your three packets (2 non restricted and one restricted) making sure they fit the guidelines Dani gave you above, eat your select veggies from the P1 sheet (4 cups measured raw) or occasional veggies as shown on the sheet, eat 8iz protein from the sheet, add your oil and salt, take your vitamins, and DRINK water! That is ALL the counting you need!!!

Someone will chime in with the exact numbers if fat/cal/carbs/protein for those who like to track details. I like the simplicity of following the sheet and knowing that,s all I need to do to lose weight!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #41  

Quote:
Survived Day 1, feeling OK. Did NOT like the maple oatmeal, so did a quick change to a drink. I did wake up with dark circles under my eyes. I never have dark circles, anyone else get this? I searched but didn't find anything, so maybe unrelated. Thanks everyone, have a great IP day
Theres a great recipe for maple oatmeal zucchini muffins in Recipes #4 thread.
Re: Dark circles
Get your thyroid checked. It is a symptom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indygal View Post
Just wondering which is best...measuring your veggies before or after cooking. Any suggestions?
Measure veggies and meats raw!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs0826 View Post
First official day on IP today! 1st weigh in next Wednesday evening. Had the cappuccino drink for breakfast. Getting ready to have salt and vinegar crisps for snack, then chicken a la king with 2 cups veggies for lunch. Really hoping I have success on this plan!
Plan for success!
I've learned we are as successful as we make up our minds to be. Our own minds can talk us into or out of a lot.
I keep mine talking me "into" staying OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMom View Post
So far, spinach is a hands-down winner over lettuce for smoothie additions. I will give lettuce another chance, but the smoothie-bar has been set pretty high by the spinach.
Spinach has less taste & I find the lettuce in smoothies is an acquired taste. Today I did half spinach & half lettuce.

Quote:
I'm following the IP program using alternatives. so, for breakfast I have a protein shake (made with water) that is comparable to an IP shake. I have a restricted snack around 10 am (DETOUR bar from Costco); lunch consists of big salad and either a shake or some protein of sorts. Then my final meal at dinner is usually some form of meat and lots of veggies/salad. I try to drink water throughout the day. Some days are better than others. It seems I'm not really consuming that many calories when you look at how much I'm eating. I wish I could bite the bullet and just pay for the IP program but I'm just not at that place finanically to put out all the cash for that. I also am hypothyroid, post menopause and on HRT. At 37 I was diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure which pushed me in to menopause and so now I'm on HRT (big dose of Estrogen and Progesterone). I wonder if the drugs and sluggish thryoid are my enemy here and it is just going to take much longer. I also have a relatively small amount to lose - around 40lbs. Most of my weight is in my hips and thighs - typical pear!
Might take longer but in retrospect (when you're done) you'll still have lost the weight!

Quote:

Non-restricted:
80-150 calories
Less than 8 net carbs
15-18 grams of protein

Restricted:
160-200 calories
9-20 net carbs
12-15 grams of protein
I'm not sure I would ever recommend a 20 net carb restricted, unless it was only once/week (super restricted). All of mine (IP or alt) have been less than 15. And when I first started, people were looking at unrestricted as UNDER 8 g carbs (so 7 or fewer). That has always been my go-to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssubert View Post
I'm on week 14. Ketostix barely showed pink from the beginning but I was mostly losing 1-2 lbs. a week.
Stalled at about weeks 11-13.
I finally figured out that I was eating too many listed veggies. Duh!
Now I'm burning purple and losing again.

Note to self--measure raw veggies.
Absolutely! I see people talk about eyeballing veggies. It might work for a while but best practice is to measure. Then we know we're sticking to plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphypuppy View Post
A little frustrated today... My scale has been refusing to budge much the past two weeks... I've been stuck between 190.9 and 192 for two weeks. Well not much to do about it other than stay on the plan and know that it will eventually start going down again because quitting will make the scale go up and that just won't do!
Make sure you measure EVERYTHING.

And if you are, just know this too shall pass. The scale jumping around a bit from time-to-time is just part of the process. I once skipped a WI due to a "stuck" scale and after 3 weeks, the scale finally budged.

This is why scale isn't the only measure of weight loss and we all need to remember what we're really trying to achieve is FAT loss. Weight loss can bounce around even when we're losing fat, due to water.
Did your measurements change?
Old 03-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 195.4/173.8/129

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontesanera View Post
I have had an event every weekend since starting IP and have events scheduled after Easter all through mid June. I have always managed to find an IP "friendly" meal. There has always been a choice of something roasted and a salad. I could not control what went into that salad, but I did not have any carbs or alcohol and my choices did not throw me out of ketosis. Found that people did not really notice if I was drinking or not, and was not even tempted by desserts.
I've been to a couple of parties/get togethers over the last couple of weeks. I did bring my own food just in case, but managed to be able to choose salads and some meat that didn't impact my weight loss. At first I was nervous, but thought this is life.

I've never been a drinker...but as I learned even in high school, if you're holding a glass (and it doesn't really matter what's in it...like water), no one really notices or cares.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #43  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMom View Post
Good morning!

We're finally heading into some warmer weather. I may even be able to open my windows this weekend Next official WI is this afternoon, but I'm not worried. These hips don't lie & they are sliding into smaller pants with ease. My waist on the other hand.......

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing -that's why we recommend it daily. ~Zig Ziglar
Must have stole my warm weather cause it's snowing again here!

Quote:
Is there anyone struggling with being stalled when it comes to the number on the scale? I put my scale away for a couple of weeks to prevent me from checking every other day. This morning I weighed myself and I'm still the same, despite watching and carefully planning my meals. It is so frustrating. I measured last night and the numbers haven't changed either. Any thoughts?? ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphypuppy View Post
Stalls are frustrating, I felt that weigh a week ago, I stalled a little but bounced out. Hopefully you will too! Chin up its a process and it takes time!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 195.4/173.8/129

Height: 5' 5"

WI #3 (yesterday): -3.6 lbs! Yea! It's funny, I was hoping for more since I only lost 1 lb last week. But then I looked at the total...-11.6 lbs in 3 weeks. I haven't been able to do that in years!

I'm really happy and very hopeful!

BTW, Happy very belated Birthday, Lisa!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulaChic View Post
WI #3 (yesterday): -3.6 lbs! Yea! It's funny, I was hoping for more since I only lost 1 lb last week. But then I looked at the total...-11.6 lbs in 3 weeks. I haven't been able to do that in years!

I'm really happy and very hopeful!

BTW, Happy very belated Birthday, Lisa!
HulaChic: Congrats! That's wonderful!
Closed Thread