Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 160/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnalosit View Post
Amber, my "muscle mass" was down this week as well. I take that with a grain of salt, as others have mentioned the BF scale is not very accurate. I know I am in ketosis because I check with ketone strips and I can definitely tell from my breath. I wouldn't sweat it, you are losing and that is all that matters.
Some time my body fat will change dramatically within the course of a day. I agree with the others so many things can affect that measurement. Just look for trends
Old 03-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #62  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnalosit View Post
Amber, my "muscle mass" was down this week as well. I take that with a grain of salt, as others have mentioned the BF scale is not very accurate. I know I am in ketosis because I check with ketone strips and I can definitely tell from my breath. I wouldn't sweat it, you are losing and that is all that matters.
I don't get keto breath which is a good thing, I stress about it and make my kids smell my breath all the time! LOL I do think that my urine smells different though, even though its clean, clear, and healthy it has a strange odor.

Where do you get Keto strips from?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #63  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
I don't get keto breath which is a good thing, I stress about it and make my kids smell my breath all the time! LOL I do think that my urine smells different though, even though its clean, clear, and healthy it has a strange odor.

Where do you get Keto strips from?
Keto strips are inaccurate too. Once the body gets efficient, it burns ketones instead of exceting them in urine.

I keep seeing this recurring "stress" theme. Why are you stressing? Really, relax. IP WORKS.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 275.5/ticker/200

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMom View Post
Hello everyone. So I started IP using alternatives today. So far, I have had an EAS Carb Control RTD shake, romaine with 2 cups of veggies, and a Muscle Milk 100 RTD. And lots of water! For dinner, I am going to have some broiled tilapia with 2 cups of zucchini. I plan on picking up some Quest Chocolate Peanut Butter bars on my way home from work so I can have one as a snack, and I plan to place an order with Nashua Nutrition tonight so I can make sure to have some variety in my non-restricted items.

I think I am in need of a little pep talk and some reassurance that this CAN be done long-term and with a busy lifestyle! I work full time and have two young boys who are very active with school and extra-curricular sports. Before starting this diet, I am ashamed to admit that we ate almost every weekend meal out and even a few during the week. I want this to work and I will make it work because I have finally realized that I am worth it! And my kids deserve to have a healthy Mom who feels good about herself, is willing to get out there and run around with them, and who will actually get IN a picture with them instead of hiding behind the camera.

I KNOW this plan will work...but as the day wears on, that negative self-talk and doubt is creeping in. Would love to hear from those of you on this diet long-term and how you make it work with a busy lifestyle.

By the way, I LOVE this forum...although new here, I researched and read (and read and read some more) about the diet before starting, and the info and encouragement found here can not be beat. Thank you!!

P.S. Do you know why pork tenderloin is acceptable but a lean cut pork chop is not?

And we can have tuna, right?
I also work 5 days a week with 4 year old twins in day care. I once a week buy a ready made chicken from the grocery store. We eat it one supper and I have some left over chicken to add to my chicken cream soup (IP) or the Chicken al a king (IP) . We sometimes have eggs for supper - the kids get toast and fried wieners as a treat! Keep of the good work out there to my fellow IP mom's. I know my little twins are one good reason I am losing weight.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
THat's why my emotions were mixed, I was down 3.2 lbs which was excellent but the being on the verge of being out of ketosis worried me the most.... I have been 100% perfect at staying OP how could I be out of or close to out of ketosis!?!?!
If you are 100% IP, you ARE in ketosis and your coach could not know otherwise from a lean mass test on a notoriously unreliable machine! RELAX!

FYI - the ketostix are also not terribly reliable, especially once you have been low carbing for awhile. Your body gets efficient at processing the ketones and won't excrete as much so you often won't register them... Then you will just get more stressed.

Stay 100% and you will stay in ketosis! You didn't work this hard to get here just to let incorrect info get you down!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #66  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Keto strips are inaccurate too. Once the body gets efficient, it burns ketones instead of exceting them in urine.

I keep seeing this recurring "stress" theme. Why are you stressing? Really, relax. IP WORKS.
LOL, I know it works, I've just had a pretty stressful year that hasn't quite come to a close yet. My stress levels are pretty high most days, but the end is near and there is light at the end of the tunnel. IP is something I decided to do for me and to avoid surgery and other terrible things (back problems) I feel great, I feel better than I've felt in years and I have a lot of great things in my life including my improved health. Just a lot of things that stress people out, normal things, and I'm trying to learn new ways to handle stress (instead of eating or drinking wine) I haven't mastered it yet, but I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
If you are 100% IP, you ARE in ketosis and your coach could not know otherwise from a lean mass test on a notoriously unreliable machine! RELAX!

FYI - the ketostix are also not terribly reliable, especially once you have been low carbing for awhile. Your body gets efficient at processing the ketones and won't excrete as much so you often won't register them... Then you will just get more stressed.

Stay 100% and you will stay in ketosis! You didn't work this hard to get here just to let incorrect info get you down!
Thanks to both of you ladies!!!! Always great advice and calming words.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 153/134/130

Height: 5'6"

I really love this forum, I am learning so much! I purchased some WF Honey Mustard Salad Dressing last week from my clinic and enjoyed it so I wanted to put in an order online. I'm in phase 1 and was told to only eat tomatoes a few times a week, if at all. Does anyone know if WF ketchup is okay in Phase 1 then since it contains tomatoes? Also looking at selecting different salad dressings- any recommendations on what's good? Thanks everyone!
Old 03-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #68  

Amber
Your next WI you need to tell the doc to chill on sharing all of his thoughts b/c they're stressing you out. As long as weight is going down , fat is coming off & you can't rely on inaccurate, imprecise measurements. You'd be better off with a regular scale than having someone make predictions & judgements using an inaccurate tool.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:04 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Not sure how to feel today. Went for weigh in, numbers are great, down 3.2lbs, lost 3 inches in my waist, but when doc did my body analysis most of what I lost was lean muscle, he says I'm on the border of being out of ketosis and I'm not sure what I did wrong! I wen to applebees last night but literally all I ate was a steak that I asked for no oil or seasoning on. I have been sick, but I managed through the illness to stay OP. I haven't done anything outside of whats allowed, how could I possibly be dangerously close to being out of ketosis? Guess I won't eat out again since that's all I can think of that's different. I feel good about my weight and inches numbers but losing fat and being in ketosis is the whole point... weight could it have been the lemon in my water?
I am sorry, but he is bull..... you. You will be in ketosis as long as you eat 50g of carbs or below. many people will still be in ketosis up to about 70g of carbs. It is carb intake that counts. You may go out of ketosis if you eat a lot of protein as this can be converted into glucose by your body. but on IP that is not possible. even if you went out of ketosis, it would probably not really affect your weight loss. It will help keep your hunger low. Lemon will not affect anything. You can also eat out no problem.

And this talk about dangerously close. I would kick him. He does not know what he is talking about. He is just talking bull.....
Old 03-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #70  

One more thought, Amber

Most doctors have VERY LITTLE nutritional training (1 course or less in med school) and the training is mainstream nutrition (ie high carb) so few understand ketosis. Just b/c he's a doc doesn't mean he has much IP training ad if he's telling you (excuse me) BS like this, well, to me he's showing his lack of knowledge about fat loss/weight loss.

I'm still wondering why he would stress out a client who came for a weigh/in and LOST >3 lbs following his diet!!!!
Closed Thread