Old 02-03-2016, 11:26 PM   #1  
2xsacharm

S/C/G: 298hi/260ip1/245cu/180

Height: 5ft5

Default Kidney stones and IP

Did ip a couple years ago and lost 80 lbs. I gained some back after a 4 wheeler accident and started ip again in January. I was diagnosed with kidney stones yesterday and my doctor said it's probably because of my diet. Although he has been a fan of it as it worked and made me healthier in so many ways. Now I have weight to lose I know what works and I can't do it.. Anyone experience this? Have any ideas? Can I still ip and not suffer
aschwarzwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #2  
2xsacharm

I do mostly shakes as far as my proteins. And I already break up my protein in lunch and dinner on weekdays and breakfast and dinner on weekends. I'm going to take a break and come back at it in a couple weeks. Ip works and I'm not ready to let it go.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #3  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

My friend developed kidney stones on IP simply because she did not drink enough water. However she was never told to stop IP and she never did until goal. However she increased her water intake significantly.
MiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

From what I read more than likely the stones were already present, but your kidneys do have to work a bit harder during ketosis and it probably irritated or pushed them through. Sounds like you are already off but maybe once they pass jump right back on - and as MiWi suggested, drink a lot more water
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:09 AM   #5  
2xsacharm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
From what I read more than likely the stones were already present, but your kidneys do have to work a bit harder during ketosis and it probably irritated or pushed them through. Sounds like you are already off but maybe once they pass jump right back on - and as MiWi suggested, drink a lot more water
I drink a minimum of 120 oz. My doctor asked about my diet after he noted that I was well hydrated but had ketones in my urine. He reviewed my food log and water intake (I track everything on Fitbit) and said too much protein and spinach are likely the culprits and that I'm more likely to have stones again since I have now had them. It has been excruciatingly painful and moderately expensive. The pain is kind of a deterrent like when you eat something and get sick so you never eat it again.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

My in-laws used to get kidney stones all the time it seemed - but also refused to drink water - only sweet tea, soda, and Gatorade - and it never seemed pleasant. Sorry

I would be curious what your macros were while doing strict IP. For the 9 months I was on, I was 50 / 30 / 20 (P, F, C) almost daily.

Again, sorry for the issues - has your pDoc suggested a program better suited to your needs? Or have you looked at the IP Alternative Phase 1 that allows a limited amount of carbs/fruit - designed for T1 diabetics so they don't go into ketosis? The file is attached if you're interested.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote