Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #421  

Height: 5'4"

IPN-Way to stand up for yourself! I can't believe someone would treat you like that! I have a friend who is a personal trainer and while I was losing the weight, she would tell me that I was on the right track getting nutrition handled first. She said that exercise is extremely important too but food is first and foremost. You can skip a day or 2 of exercise and get right back on track pretty easy. If you fall off the healthy eating wagon... NEVER easy to get right back on track.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #422  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
So true, my husband was skinny and then turned 40....wham. It has taken him 14 years to listen to my advise about food and finally he is loosing it.
I guess there truly are people who never have to worry...but they are way low in distribution curve.....and most pay the piper at some point! I was always very thin... until I got close to 50. The combo of low thyroid for 20 years...then menopause hormone shifts...set the fat fairy on a trip and a half at my expense!!!...I began to gain at an alarming rate. My husband on the other hand, was an overweight child...and always felt as an adult he was still that fat kid...as a result he is low end of normal because he has always as an adult been mindful. I think we are finally in the same place.....after 44 years of marriage.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #423  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
I guess there truly are people who never have to worry...but they are way low in distribution curve.....and most pay the piper at some point! I was always very thin... until I got close to 50. The combo of low thyroid for 20 years...then menopause hormone shifts...set the fat fairy on a trip and a half at my expense!!!...I began to gain at an alarming rate. My husband on the other hand, was an overweight child...and always felt as an adult he was still that fat kid...as a result he is low end of normal because he has always as an adult been mindful. I think we are finally in the same place.....after 44 years of marriage.
Yep, I started getting fat at puberty, he was always trying to gain weight.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #424  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
ETA: Lisa, I did ask him, what do you think about the quote "you can't out run a bad diet" and "abs are made in the kitchen." Wrong move...he proceeded to tell him he eats cheeseburgers. Exactly around the time I started tuning him out.
I have a friend who has made an amazing transformation counting calories and running. He truly believes the hype that it doesn't matter what you eat, just that you balance your calories.

It is working for him.

He has chicken wings and a beer or two several times per week. Delivery-pizza is also a frequent guest. I keep watching (he posts frequently on FB) b/c there have been injuries, either from over-training or from the inflammation of eating junk (or both). Then injuries are addressed mostly through rest, rather than getting PT and finding what muscle group is out-of-balance & causing injury.

He is proving that in the short-run he is out-running a bad diet. However, I just wonder if he lowered carbs (not as low as IP) and kept the junk to a minimum, how much BETTER he would feel overall, with reduced chance of injury.

We all make our choices and gain knowledge at different speeds. I'm just glad I started learning about low carb 10+ years ago.

I actually resisted IP for many months after learning about it due (mostly) to the soy content. From the sources I learn from, soy is not good for consumption and can contribute to health problems. I used it for the first 6 months until I developed thyroid problems. Since then, I have been free of soy protein.

In the time I've been on IP, I've become healthier and am in less pain w/ fewer injuries. Not all of it is due to IP. I also was in PT for 6+ months to address back pain. With ongoing (lifelong) exercises to address the problem, I'll be able to remain mostly pain-free.

I caught my health problems in time to reverse them & for that I am incredibly grateful. The people I have encountered over the 1.6 years I've been involved with IP & 3FC have mostly been a great inspiration. I knew better than to leave this site when I encountered a huge stall. I knew if I were to return to P1 at some point, I belonged right here the whole time. I have not yet learned to consistently maintain. If I left, it could have been disastrous to my health and well being.

Had I just listened to a calories-in/calories-out person who would have pushed me into over-training, I believe my story would have been very different.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #425  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
So true, my husband was skinny and then turned 40....wham. It has taken him 14 years to listen to my advise about food and finally he is loosing it.
Quote:
I am married to a guy who has problems keeping weight on - not as bad as when he was in his 20s, but we seriously have to monitor his weight. He's a little over 6"2' and at one point was down to about 140. He's up to 180, which is a good weight for him. I try hard to keep nutritious, calorie dense food around for him because he is a snacker. It's a balancing act in our house between what he needs and what I need. Fortunately, we are both looking forward to my being on maintenance - he likes the dinners I eat now and modifies his slightly to add more carbs & protein. We work it out.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #426  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
I am married to a guy who has problems keeping weight on - not as bad as when he was in his 20s, but we seriously have to monitor his weight. He's a little over 6"2' and at one point was down to about 140. He's up to 180, which is a good weight for him. I try hard to keep nutritious, calorie dense food around for him because he is a snacker. It's a balancing act in our house between what he needs and what I need. Fortunately, we are both looking forward to my being on maintenance - he likes the dinners I eat now and modifies his slightly to add more carbs & protein. We work it out.
Oh to have such problems...the grass is always greener, isn't it?
I bet nuts are a biggie for snacks for him.
In addition to adding more carbs/protein for him, some added fat to the veggies would be great & I'm sure you do it.

We all know how to gain weight. How is his thyroid? Hyper?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #427  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Oh to have such problems...the grass is always greener, isn't it?
I bet nuts are a biggie for snacks for him.
In addition to adding more carbs/protein for him, some added fat to the veggies would be great & I'm sure you do it.

We all know how to gain weight. How is his thyroid? Hyper?
You know, you'd think I'd be jealous of him but it really is a struggle to balance things out. Nuts are a big snack, peanut butter on toast, cottage cheese with fruit, etc. We add butter to his veggies, sweet potatoes are good. We try to keep our food mostly unprocessed as much as possible (although he does love his "junk food" on occasion!). He's a classically trained chef and makes some of the best sauces, etc. I have ever eaten. He honestly just forgets to eat sometimes and some of the medications he's on tend to suppress his appetite.

His thyroid, surprisingly is totally normal. He is hypoglycemic so we watch his blood sugars pretty carefully (seizures from low blood sugar are not fun). He just has a very strange metabolism.

And yes, we know how to gain weight! Doing it in a nutritionally sound manner is a totally different issue though!

My being on IP has actually helped him - he's preparing much better meals and really enjoying them.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #428  

S/C/G: 214.4/206.8/160

Height: 5' 4"

Thank You Ruth Ann for the welcome

Hello to you too RA 2, nice to see someone from home on here

IPN good for you not letting that sales bully push you around.

Had an ok week, stayed on program but found it difficult this week getting in my meals and veg when working back shift (7p-7A) didn't really have the same problem the last 4 weeks but I think my hunger was lower this week which maybe contributed to my not getting all food in? It is really hard when I switch from a 12 hours day shift to night then back to days!! Uhhh. I have been making a gelatin snack using knox geletin pack, 2 cups water and 2 squirts of fruit flavour MIO I pour in containers making it thinish and cut up (reminds me of eating gummys LOL). This makes enough to do me 4 days for when I want a little something sweet, My coach has said it is ok, what are your thoughts?
Old 04-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #429  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the support. You better believe I'll be speaking to management

When I told him I wanted the regular membership he asked why and I told him exactly why...I felt pressured and bullied.

IP has taught me a lot about myself, including how to stand up for what I need.

It's not being selfish, it is self-care.

ETA: Lisa, I did ask him, what do you think about the quote "you can't out run a bad diet" and "abs are made in the kitchen." Wrong move...he proceeded to tell him he eats cheeseburgers. Exactly around the time I started tuning him out.
Quote:
Just for fun...This crackpot is turning 40?? His metabolism is going to wear out and he will be SOOO surprised...when it does.
Hah! I love the way you think 65!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #430  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegingham View Post
How are you making your veggie beef soup? That sounds delicious on this cold, rainy Sunday!
I got a lean roast and cut it up into cubes, then I put tons of veggies in, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, bell peppers, cabbage, zucchini, and celery. I season each layer with sea salt, garlic, pepper, and whatever other seasonings you like can be used. Then I add water till it's just below the line of the food in the crock pot and turn it on. It's amazing today! I did have to season more as it cooked, but it's delicious.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #431  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Thanks ladies, your supportive words are much appreciated!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #432  

S/C/G: 214.4/206.8/160

Height: 5' 4"

AmberLS that soup sounds delish! Going to have to make it
Old 04-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #433  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowey16 View Post
Thank You Ruth Ann for the welcome

Hello to you too RA 2, nice to see someone from home on here

IPN good for you not letting that sales bully push you around.

Had an ok week, stayed on program but found it difficult this week getting in my meals and veg when working back shift (7p-7A) didn't really have the same problem the last 4 weeks but I think my hunger was lower this week which maybe contributed to my not getting all food in? It is really hard when I switch from a 12 hours day shift to night then back to days!! Uhhh. I have been making a gelatin snack using knox geletin pack, 2 cups water and 2 squirts of fruit flavour MIO I pour in containers making it thinish and cut up (reminds me of eating gummys LOL). This makes enough to do me 4 days for when I want a little something sweet, My coach has said it is ok, what are your thoughts?
Ugh, that change in shifts must be killer! It's really important that you get everything on the P1 sheet in during the day (whenever that is for you!). IP is low cal enough that you don't want to miss anything. And all your water, very important. Can you cut up veggies small and stick them in a baggie in your pocket to eat? Or a bar?

The gelatin snack I believe is just fine (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 04-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #434  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Ugh, that change in shifts must be killer! It's really important that you get everything on the P1 sheet in during the day (whenever that is for you!). IP is low cal enough that you don't want to miss anything. And all your water, very important. Can you cut up veggies small and stick them in a baggie in your pocket to eat? Or a bar?

The gelatin snack I believe is just fine (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong).
I make a gelatin snack similarly but I add stewed, blended rhubarb & then I have a veggie!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #435  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I make a gelatin snack similarly but I add stewed, blended rhubarb & then I have a veggie!
I keep meaning to make that because it sounds so good, but keep forgetting. Oh well, summer is coming and I'll bet it will be nice then.
Closed Thread