Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #91  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMom View Post
2nd WI today: 3 more lbs released back into the wild (along with 1.75")

But having my clothes fit differently as my body changes means so much more to me than ANY number on the scale or tape measure!

Speaking of clothes, any tips or strategies for dressing during the weight loss phase? I already know I'll be hitting thrift stores, but any other fashion ideas would be greatly appreciated! I work with young children, but I'm still expected to dress nicely (ie no jeans)
I understand your dilemma, I can only wear jeans on Friday. My suggestion, other than thrift stores, would be consignment stores. That saved me, there is no way I could have afforded new clothes all the time.

I found that I could wear slacks for two sizes. I might have had a 16 and wore it til I got close to a 12. Buy clothes a bit tight (you night lose enough in a week to we here they are no longer tight. Do the same with blouses and wear a cami under and the shirt as a "jacket"

Just some thoughts. It is hard. I pushed wearing clothes too long -the were really baggy. Tops are, in my opinion, easier to wear when they get too big.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #92  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMom View Post
2nd WI today: 3 more lbs released back into the wild (along with 1.75")

But having my clothes fit differently as my body changes means so much more to me than ANY number on the scale or tape measure!

Speaking of clothes, any tips or strategies for dressing during the weight loss phase? I already know I'll be hitting thrift stores, but any other fashion ideas would be greatly appreciated! I work with young children, but I'm still expected to dress nicely (ie no jeans)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCarol View Post
I understand your dilemma, I can only wear jeans on Friday. My suggestion, other than thrift stores, would be consignment stores. That saved me, there is no way I could have afforded new clothes all the time.

I found that I could wear slacks for two sizes. I might have had a 16 and wore it til I got close to a 12. Buy clothes a bit tight (you night lose enough in a week to we here they are no longer tight. Do the same with blouses and wear a cami under and the shirt as a "jacket"

Just some thoughts. It is hard. I pushed wearing clothes too long -the were really baggy. Tops are, in my opinion, easier to wear when they get too big.
In addition to Carol's advice, I have found long sweaters and leggings to work really well or skirts or dresses you can add a belt to.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 278.3 / 156.5 / 180

Height: 5'4"

Today's Day 10 OP, and I had my first WI ... my official number is that I'm down 14.0 lbs. (I suspect I might be down a bit more, because TOM started gearing up this afternoon.) My coach was shocked and told me not to expect those kinds of losses every week. I don't, largely because I've been reading here.

I also discovered that the scale at school gives weights ~0.25% higher than my coach's scale.

Anyway. Current mini-goals:
1. Have my concert slacks fit (they were a bit tight yet on Tuesday when the 2nd graders performed, but noticeably better than two weeks ago, when the 1st graders performed and before I started IP. I no longer look like I've been laminated into them.)
2. Weigh less than 250 lbs.

Last edited by Fearciuil; 03-13-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 187.7/158.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Fearciuil - welcome and congrats! That is an amazing loss for 10 days!

I had a little NSV today. Took the kids swimming at the local public pool. If it were not for IP I would not fit into a bathing suit and we would not have the fun that we had today!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
I know everyone says don't weigh everyday but I can't help it I'm a serial weigher, and I realize weight fluctuates but it's been nice to say that it either stays the same or goes down, although the week before TOM I had a couple days where it went down then up about .8lbs the next day... well this morning I had a slap in the face, I went up 1.6lbs from the day before, what the heck? I was sick yesterday but I stayed OP I didn't take any medicine or cough drops, the only thing I did different yesterday was add mio to my water which coach said was fine a long time ago. So today I'm thinking all that mio I bough is gonna get chucked. Over a lb and a half in one day seems like a lot... I KNOW I KNOW quit weighing everyday especially if it's going to get me upset, and it's not really that I'm upset I'm just worried I did something wrong.

WHOA - deep breath! It is very normal to go up in weight when you have been sick. Illness causes inflammation and that will cause a temporary increase in weight on top of normal day to day and hour to hour weight fluctuations.

It is highly doubtful Mio would play a role in the increase... Though some report it increases cravings for sweeter things.

Also keep in mind that stress in General can cause an increase... Ie stress from worrying about an increase that is more than likely tied to the body coping with having been sick.

Rest, feel better and RELAX... give yourself several days or more to get back to your true weight!

Last edited by JLUS; 03-13-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #96  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
WHOA - deep breath! It is very normal to go up in weight when you have been sick. Illness causes inflammation and that will cause a temporary increase in weight on top of normal day to day and hour to hour weight fluctuations.

It is highly doubtful Mio would play a role in the increase... Though some report it increases cravings for sweeter things.

Also keep in mind that stress in General can cause an increase... Ie stress from worrying about an increase that is more than likely tied to the body coping with having been sick.

Rest, feel better and RELAX... give yourself several days or more to get back to your true weight!
Thanks, I have been reading some things about how being sick makes your weight go up because of inflammation and water retention. It just seemed like a lot in a day. But I'm not gonna let it get me down, just really hoping to reach my under 200 goal before my trip the second week of June! GOtta keep up the momentum!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #97  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
Thanks, I have been reading some things about how being sick makes your weight go up because of inflammation and water retention. It just seemed like a lot in a day. But I'm not gonna let it get me down, just really hoping to reach my under 200 goal before my trip the second week of June! GOtta keep up the momentum!
It is pretty common to fluctuate up to 2 lbs throughout a normal day due to many factors. Add in an illness and a temporary increase is expected.

This is why the scale is only ONE measure of our progress and we should only chart our WL once/week (even if we look more often, only one data point per week, to show the true trend).

JLUS is right. The stress we cause ourselves can slow weight loss (cortisol the stress hormone wreaks havoc on diets!)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #98  
AmberLS

I'm used to the daily fluctuation, I go up 3-4lbs by the end of a night, just wasn't used to that big of a jump on the morning weigh in. But stressed and sick were this week's MO so hopefully it will be better by Monday's weigh in!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:09 PM   #99  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

AmberLS if you want to see a big jump, weigh yourself the day after surgery! It was not a good idea! I think I jumped 6 or 8 lbs overnight but it was gone in a few days..
Old 03-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 244/223/160

Height: 5ft 4in.

Happy Friday everyone! My weight in the evening is always about 3 lbs higher than the morning. My 3rd weigh in and I'm down 2 more lbs. Yipee! 10lbs gone. This is my 3rd time trying IP. This time I'm so aware of the pitfalls. Taking it meal by meal. This weekend i'm planning on getting two hanging baskets full of strawberries for my 4yr olds to tend to. I'm not very green fingered myself. What other easy fast growing plants are good for children, maybe tomato plants? Have a good Friday everyone.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #101  
SassyPants Extraordinaire

S/C/G: 176/ticker/135

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearciuil View Post
Today's Day 10 OP, and I had my first WI ... my official number is that I'm down 14.0 lbs. (I suspect I might be down a bit more, because TOM started gearing up this afternoon.) My coach was shocked and told me not to expect those kinds of losses every week. I don't, largely because I've been reading here.

I also discovered that the scale at school gives weights ~0.25% higher than my coach's scale.

Anyway. Current mini-goals:
1. Have my concert slacks fit (they were a bit tight yet on Tuesday when the 2nd graders performed, but noticeably better than two weeks ago, when the 1st graders performed and before I started IP. I no longer look like I've been laminated into them.)
2. Weigh less than 250 lbs.
FABULOUS! Love the mini goals -going to copycat & make some for myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontesanera View Post
Fearciuil - welcome and congrats! That is an amazing loss for 10 days!

I had a little NSV today. Took the kids swimming at the local public pool. If it were not for IP I would not fit into a bathing suit and we would not have the fun that we had today!
You're already living my dream: to fit into a swimsuit to take my kiddo swimming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTots View Post
Happy Friday everyone! My weight in the evening is always about 3 lbs higher than the morning. My 3rd weigh in and I'm down 2 more lbs. Yipee! 10lbs gone. This is my 3rd time trying IP. This time I'm so aware of the pitfalls. Taking it meal by meal. This weekend i'm planning on getting two hanging baskets full of strawberries for my 4yr olds to tend to. I'm not very green fingered myself. What other easy fast growing plants are good for children, maybe tomato plants? Have a good Friday everyone.
Hooray for week #3! Radish grows quickly -even if they don't care for the taste, they may get a kick out of the fun ways to cut them into shapes. Carrots can be a good choice too.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:47 AM   #102  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCarol View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
In addition to Carol's advice, I have found long sweaters and leggings to work really well or skirts or dresses you can add a belt to.
Thanks for the tips -it will help me focus my searches at the thrift/consignment stores! I had budgeted for the cost of IP, but neglected to budget for the cost of clothing
Old 03-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #103  

Hmmmmm, methinks the energy boost has hit! I feel awfully energetic considering I had a fitful night's sleep. Of course, I got a new fancy scale yesterday so I was excited to try it out -maybe that explains the sleep.

My poor students aren't going to know what hit them -this turtle is powered by PURE CLEAN FUEL today!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #104  
AmberLS

Yay it's Friday! I love weekends, except keeping busy from boredom snacking has continued to be a challenge. Not sure what I'll do this weekend, kids go with dad so that's out. I did my spring cleaning last weekend, guess I could go to the dump again there's a few more things that need to go.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

Friday dance! I go for WI today after first week on P3. I think I will be about the same, which is great considering I feel like I have had a lot more food. Breakfast is quite satisfactory and makes me feel good.

I am off for a week after today. Monday and Tuesday is running around and doing promos for the show I am producing. Also getting blood work done for endo and hopefully a bit of time to throw something in a suitcase. Wednesday we head to Nebraska to see our daughter in a show and we stay until Saturday. Then Sunday starts tech week and will have that craziness and busy time at work the same time, oh boy!

Anyway, except for arthritis flaring a bit, feeling good!

Last edited by drd1961; 03-14-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Closed Thread