Old 03-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #16  
Started IP on 3/1/2014

S/C/G: 237.5/207.5/140

Height: 5'1"

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
You can measure veggies by grams on a food scale.

I often do for veggies I don't want to chop such as asparagus.

It's so important to measure in grams vs. ounces though because 8 oz of spinach does not equal 2 cups.

I like this website:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/
I am confused on how to measure frozen veggies as opposed to fresh.

I have been measuring 1 cup of frozen spinach to put into my protein shake every morning. I have been using an actual 1-cup measuring cup for this.

According the nutritiondata website, 1 cup of frozen spinach (unprepared) = 156g.

I have a digital kitchen scale, so this morning I measured out 156g of frozen spinach, and then wanted to see if that fit into a 1-cup measuring cup... it didn't! It turns out to be 1-3/4 cup!!

So, I'm wondering if measuring frozen spinach by grams is the correct way to do it, or if I should be measuring it in a 1-cup measuring cup like before.

Any advice would be helpful, because I don't want to eat too little or too much. Thanks!
karkrazy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkrazy13 View Post
I am confused on how to measure frozen veggies as opposed to fresh.

I have been measuring 1 cup of frozen spinach to put into my protein shake every morning. I have been using an actual 1-cup measuring cup for this.

According the nutritiondata website, 1 cup of frozen spinach (unprepared) = 156g.

I have a digital kitchen scale, so this morning I measured out 156g of frozen spinach, and then wanted to see if that fit into a 1-cup measuring cup... it didn't! It turns out to be 1-3/4 cup!!

So, I'm wondering if measuring frozen spinach by grams is the correct way to do it, or if I should be measuring it in a 1-cup measuring cup like before.

Any advice would be helpful, because I don't want to eat too little or too much. Thanks!
To figure this out, frozen nutritional stats need to be compared to fresh.

If my math is correct...
It looks like 1 c frozen has 45 calories (156 g) http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2630/2

1 c raw has 7 (30 g) http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2626/2

45/7 = approx 6.4 (I'm gonna round down to 6)
According to my math (if I did it right), you're not gonna use very much frozen spinach! 1/6 of a cup = 1 c raw or 1/3 of a cup would be equivalent to a 2 c raw serving.

It looks to me like you've been using 6.4 one cup servings of raw spinach in your protein shake.
Since we eat 4 c. veggies on IP, it looks like some adjustment may be needed.

If you do the math by weight, 156 grams in 1 c frozen. 30 g in 1 c raw makes 5.2 one-cup raw weight servings in each cup of frozen.

Either way, a lot more frozen spinach fits into a cup than raw!

Last edited by lisa32989; 03-12-2014 at 01:38 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 170/166/140

Height: 5'8"

This is a great thread. I too have just been eyeballing my veggies for salads and dinners. I'm wondering if that is maybe why my losses have been on the smaller side. I'm going to make a list as well based on the weights (I have a food scale).

Am I right in figuring that 2c raw asparagus = 9.6 oz (or 272 grams)?
sunflwr816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #19  
Started IP on 3/1/2014

S/C/G: 237.5/207.5/140

Height: 5'1"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
To figure this out, frozen nutritional stats need to be compared to fresh.

If my math is correct...
It looks like 1 c frozen has 45 calories (156 g) http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2630/2

1 c raw has 7 (30 g) http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2626/2

45/7 = approx 6.4 (I'm gonna round down to 6)
According to my math (if I did it right), you're not gonna use very much frozen spinach! 1/6 of a cup = 1 c raw or 1/3 of a cup would be equivalent to a 2 c raw serving.

It looks to me like you've been using 6.4 one cup servings of raw spinach in your protein shake.
Since we eat 4 c. veggies on IP, it looks like some adjustment may be needed.

If you do the math by weight, 156 grams in 1 c frozen. 30 g in 1 c raw makes 5.2 one-cup raw weight servings in each cup of frozen.

Either way, a lot more frozen spinach fits into a cup than raw!
Wow, thank you SO much Lisa!! Apparently, I have been using WAY too much frozen spinach in my shakes! I didn't realize there would be that much of a difference between frozen and raw. I don't even know how to measure 1/6 of a cup! I guess it's between and 1/8 and 1/4 of a cup, correct?

Again, thank you so much for responding Lisa... I will adjust the amount of frozen spinach I add to my protein shake starting tomorrow morning!
karkrazy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwr816 View Post
This is a great thread. I too have just been eyeballing my veggies for salads and dinners. I'm wondering if that is maybe why my losses have been on the smaller side. I'm going to make a list as well based on the weights (I have a food scale).

Am I right in figuring that 2c raw asparagus = 9.6 oz (or 272 grams)?
2 cups of asparagus is 268 grams (134 per cup).

Congrats on the job, by the way
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 170/166/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
2 cups of asparagus is 268 grams (134 per cup).

Congrats on the job, by the way
Thanks!!!

It worked out to be 25 spears for 2 cups per my scale. About the portion I was already eating but it's good to know for sure. Planning to measure out my cukes and peppers today too!
sunflwr816 is offline   Reply With Quote