Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #106  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Sometime during the night we hit a new record low or close to it, according to our local weatherman! It sounds as though we are all sick of winter. However, tomorrow is forecast to be 40 above! Hallelujah!

It sounds as though there have been some thought provoking posts lately. To be sure weight loss and weight gain issues are a sensitive topic. We all approach this journey from our own perspectives and life experiences. This is quite individual and we all face different challenges along the way.

On the topic of cheating: I think I have been quite fortunate to have been able to make it to my goal without cheating. I'm not sure why that is. It certainly isn't always easy. Quite the contrary. I do think part of it is the point I was at when I started. I was just so "done" with being overweight and sick and unhappy. I set a goal and determined I just could not deviate at all, or it would be a big time slide down that slippery slope to failing yet again. I simply had determined I had no choice but 100% compliance.

Recently my sister asked for help in starting IP and I promised her I would help in any way I could. I provided her with the phase sheets, recipe tips, alternative product info, etc. I explained that she would need to be 100% compliant. My DH told me she would never stick to it and I was wasting my time. She rarely asked questions and continually did not follow the guidelines for alts or eat all her protein. She still worked out aggressively and did not adjust with more protein. Well, sure enough, she did not stick with it for more than 1 week. She had many excuses, but ultimately, as I told her from the beginning...if you can't be 100% it is not the diet for you. Know that...right up front...before you start. I learned that I could not do it for her and she must be the one holding herself accountable. I would not be deterred from helping her again if she asked. I just think she has the type of personality that IP is not the diet for her, sadly.

I am not judging anyone who is less than 100% at following the IP P1 protocol. And with any diet, by reducing calories, you can lose weight. It just seems to me that IP is so different from other diets I have been on. A big part of it is learning to "change" how I look at food. If I allowed myself little cheats along the way I really don't think I would have analyzed my relationship with food and I would be doomed to repeat my past failures. I started IP to lose weight, but ended up learning a lot. Go figure!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
Sometime during the night we hit a new record low or close to it, according to our local weatherman! It sounds as though we are all sick of winter. However, tomorrow is forecast to be 40 above! Hallelujah!

It sounds as though there have been some thought provoking posts lately. To be sure weight loss and weight gain issues are a sensitive topic. We all approach this journey from our own perspectives and life experiences. This is quite individual and we all face different challenges along the way.

On the topic of cheating: I think I have been quite fortunate to have been able to make it to my goal without cheating. I'm not sure why that is. It certainly isn't always easy. Quite the contrary. I do think part of it is the point I was at when I started. I was just so "done" with being overweight and sick and unhappy. I set a goal and determined I just could not deviate at all, or it would be a big time slide down that slippery slope to failing yet again. I simply had determined I had no choice but 100% compliance.

Recently my sister asked for help in starting IP and I promised her I would help in any way I could. I provided her with the phase sheets, recipe tips, alternative product info, etc. I explained that she would need to be 100% compliant. My DH told me she would never stick to it and I was wasting my time. She rarely asked questions and continually did not follow the guidelines for alts or eat all her protein. She still worked out aggressively and did not adjust with more protein. Well, sure enough, she did not stick with it for more than 1 week. She had many excuses, but ultimately, as I told her from the beginning...if you can't be 100% it is not the diet for you. Know that...right up front...before you start. I learned that I could not do it for her and she must be the one holding herself accountable. I would not be deterred from helping her again if she asked. I just think she has the type of personality that IP is not the diet for her, sadly.

I am not judging anyone who is less than 100% at following the IP P1 protocol. And with any diet, by reducing calories, you can lose weight. It just seems to me that IP is so different from other diets I have been on. A big part of it is learning to "change" how I look at food. If I allowed myself little cheats along the way I really don't think I would have analyzed my relationship with food and I would be doomed to repeat my past failures. I started IP to lose weight, but ended up learning a lot. Go figure!
Well said Dak...this diet is not for everyone...and the inability to commit is something that should no be considered lightly, and this process not be entered casually. There are other diets that will be more forgiving. And for some will eventually work. Not so fast maybe, but going off plan is not going to speed things up...that's for sure!! I am not judging anyone who can not stick to it...but when there is so much posting about straying...it does give newbies the idea there is some flexibility in the process. We mostly know...that does not usually work out long term. I'd say "ask how that worked out" for most of the folks trying that...but most of the posts we read from folks who strayed when it was not easy or convenient, are old resurrected ones, or if they are new postings, they duck back in to say ...."I'm in 100% THIS TIME. "

The other EXCELLENT point you make is being "tired of being overweight". I felt desperation...and have seen that used by others to describe their state of mind when starting. Someone trying this, who has has NOT tried long or hard to do this...will usually find it is more than they want to do. Is hopeful it is like any other process.

It is not though...alas...it is not!!!

And lastly you are a stellar example of the commitment...success... and beautiful results!! You look soo wonderful!!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #108  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Yeah you Tigerlvr - way to show those cookies that you're the boss!

Seriously, you did great. It's not easy staying 100%. It does get easier, but it's weird how some things just totally throw you.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #109  
Started IP 5/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
Very proud of you! My experience has shown that my determination grows the longer I am on IP in regards to temptation. I devise more and different approaches to it, but I do know what it is like when it calls out in the middle of the night!

Despite having been raised in a very conservative and monetarily tight household where food is never wasted (we will save the dangers of that for a later date), I have learned and practiced throwing food out. The garbage disposal is the BEST place because even I will not put my hand in there to take it back! I have a single friend I give it to if it is nice baked goods. I have even nicely wrapped up untouched food and taken it to an old veteran who sits outside my grocery store. I have fed squirrels yummy baked stuff.

It is just part of a new way of life for us IP'ers. New strategies, new thoughts, new actions, NEW BODY!
Something that is so strange to me is that once I hit maintenance and knew I could have "treats", etc...I didn't want them. For one thing, my taste buds had changed and I no longer liked the taste of some of my former favorite treats. I guess that showed me how much of a "mental" game this can be. Things were so much more tempting when I couldn't have them. lol.

Congrats to you schenectady on finding new ways to meet all these new challenges. WTG!

Tiger: one of my favorite foods has always been wedding cake. OK, to call it food is pushing it! I loved wedding cake so much that I asked for my own little wedding cake as a Christmas present one year. Everyone in my family knew how much I loved wedding cake and it is a common joke that I would be a wedding crasher just for the cake! So, very early on when I started IP we attended a family wedding. I will not describe the cake that was served, but it was my absolute favorite. I decided to eat before the wedding so I wouldn't be hungry at the reception. When they cut the cake I did not go up to the cake table for a piece. And when others asked, "aren't you having cake?" I politely said I was full from dinner. Then, suddenly, someone came around and placed plates of cake in front of anyone who didn't have one! You know, the kind old church ladies helping at the reception and being so thoughtful. lol. My DH noticed and quickly snatched my plate up and said "I love wedding cake, and ate it himself!" ha ha. There is only so much a person can do sometimes, and you just keep getting tempted. It does get easier, and sometimes we just have to figure out new coping techniques. Great job getting rid of the temptation. If you give in you will be left feeling so disappointed in yourself. If you hold strong you will be left with a sense of accomplishment, and that is so much longer lasting.

65 thanks for your kind compliment!

Last edited by dak1lls; 02-10-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlvr52 View Post
I struggled this weekend with my inner craving demons and I had to step away a few times. My MIL brought over cookies for my DH and we have not had anything like that in the house for 5 weeks...... They sat on bar top on my counter and I stared at them while she was visiting the baby. About an hour after she got there I had to interrupt DH and his mom and tell him that I needed to leave the room and have him take the offending items to our car and take them to work today. I could not have them in my house. Even then I woke up early 2 am this morning knowing where they were at. I knew just knew that it was being thirsty and sweaty that was causing this. I drank a bit of water and got back into bed. That was tough...but I had to make it through. Today is a new day, and even though I know I will run into things like that again I just have to be stronger than my past self. When I know there will be foods I can't have I am all good, I am able to be mentally prepared, but being blind sided like that really tested my endurance.
So proud! It just makes you feel so powerful to overcome those cravings, right?! My mom is heading to California today and obviously had to pick up 3 different king cakes to take with her. Well, she bought an extra one for our Sunday Family Dinner. It was my favorite. I have no desire to eat it right now. I tell myself that in a year or two I will be able to enjoy a piece. Then i fuss at myself and say..."no, you'll never eat king cake again! It's why you're here!" But then I tell myself..."I can't deny everything for forever, I may explode...one day you can enjoy in small amounts"

...and that's my mind for ya. battling itself...always...i'm sure most of you are the same!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
The battling never seems to go away. Some days, it does not seem so hard and other days I feel as if I am fighting an entire battalion of cheats floating in front of me!

One of the things that has helped me is visualization. When I got through several months, I saw a picture of me at my biggest weight and I realized what a huge body I had. I was in some pretty good denial, about 100 pounds worth. That image of my broad body never left me and I pull it out to my mind whenever I am tempted. Never want to be that way again.

Then I try to visualize myself in a smaller outfit and smaller body. That is a great deal harder because I really, truly don't know what I look like smaller. If I never had a real good image of what I was like at nearly 300, I will have to practice to think of it in a real light.

What is helping with the cravings is regular trying on of "new" clothes and staring at my image in the full length mirror. Yesterday, it was a pair of size 16 long black dress pants with high heeled boots. Wowsa!

ain't that the truth. I went to my dermatologist this AM to talk about skin treatment. They have some 'laser skin firming' treatment. She took a look at my belly and suggested a tummy tuck. Honestly I didn't think I needed one but I'll wait it out. Got to give your body time to adjust. I keep telling myself that my skin is my biggest organ and we have to let it catch up!

At first I thought I would be sad to hear that a tummy tuck would be my solution but it actually made me happy to think I've lost that much weight! And you're so right...I look at before pictures all the time and chant to myself to never go back there!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #112  
Started IP 04/22/2013

so much insight and wisdom today! You guys are awesome!

I knew when I started that I had to do it 100% or not at all. I was so sick of being fat, tired, in pain and not having any fun that if someone had told me I could lose weight eating mud pies I might have tried it. Fortunately, it did not come to that. It's not always easy and I have sometimes thrown tantrums, but every time I get down on myself I remind myself of how far I've come in so short a time. And then I come read all the wonderful posts by people who understand exactly where I coming from and I get even more motivated.

Lastly, right now I remember that I'm going shopping this weekend for something to wow dh with for our anniversary getaway!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #113  
Started IP 5/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems70508 View Post
ain't that the truth. I went to my dermatologist this AM to talk about skin treatment. They have some 'laser skin firming' treatment. She took a look at my belly and suggested a tummy tuck. Honestly I didn't think I needed one but I'll wait it out. Got to give your body time to adjust. I keep telling myself that my skin is my biggest organ and we have to let it catch up!

At first I thought I would be sad to hear that a tummy tuck would be my solution but it actually made me happy to think I've lost that much weight! And you're so right...I look at before pictures all the time and chant to myself to never go back there!
This made me smile. I have been thinking of going to see someone about skin firming treatments as well. I have been thinking a tummy tuck is needed, but also agree a person should wait and give it some time to adjust. I love your ability to look at the bright side and put a positive spin on things Ems.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #114  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
OK, Ruth Ann, now I am amazed. I thought I was the only one around who has lived in "both" Washingtons! I grew up in the DC area, too! Where did you live? You probably lived around the corner or something really strange like that.....world is indeed small!
I was stationed there while I was in the military and was there for about 10 years schenectady starting in the late 70s. Lived part of the time at Andrews and part of it in Georgetown.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #115  
Started IP 12/26/13

S/C/G: 205.6/171.2/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
It will never be "easy"...but I and others can tell you it gets easier...the longer stretch of compliance you have behind you...the easier the road in front gets. You are doing great...Hang in there. You will figure it out. Treat yourself to some non food thing......you definitely deserve it. Fresh carnations for the VERY counter where the cookies were...yep...that's what you deserve...flowers mark the spot!!!...The crime that did not happen!!!
Absolutely love the wisdom and care in this. This thread is full of such amazing insight. I vowed from the very beginning to always be 100%. Thank you to ALL of you in here that provide the encouragement, knowledge, and motivation to keep us all going.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

I have been 100 % since the beginning, because I was desperate. I have been yo-yo dieting for most of my life. I had reached a point where I felt as though life was passing me by. I was almost invisible in society. I, had lost my sense of joy in life. Not everyone on IP has hit that point. Their life experiences are different and their use of food is individualized. I truly believe that food addiction and emotional eating are driven by the mind and the heart. When I see people struggling with cravings or slipping off program, most of the time- I feel compassion. I have been there. My hope for them is that they take the time to do the emotional work, so that food loses it's power.

I have learned that I have the power, to decide what goes into my mouth and how it serves my body. But, I always remember," There,but for the grace of God, go I."

All of you ladies have figured out your path. You provide kind guidance to those who follow, but sometime they have to find their own way.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #117  
Started IP 12/26/13

S/C/G: 205.6/171.2/145

Height: 5'6"

I haven't mentioned it before, because I didn't know how everyone would feel about it. I'm currently reading a book called "Made to Crave" by Lysa Terkeurst. It's about learning to satisfy your deepest desire with God and not food. I'm also doing an online bible study with it. There is a 60 day devotional that I will start when the study ends. It's already helped me grasp why I crave food and instead of going for the food, stopping and going to God. It's also helped me to remember that I am not defined by a number on the scale.

Some of my favorite points:

~ Becoming a woman of self-discipline honors God and helps me live the godly characteristic of self-control.

~Living in victory tastes sweeter than any unhealthy delicacy.

~Half-hearted efforts produce mediocre results.

~The numbers on the scale reflect how much our body weighs, not our worth

~Just because something is permissible, doesn't make it beneficial

and there are SO many more. Highly recommend it.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #118  

Height: 5 '6

Quote:
Very proud of you! My experience has shown that my determination grows the longer I am on IP in regards to temptation. I devise more and different approaches to it, but I do know what it is like when it calls out in the middle of the night!

Despite having been raised in a very conservative and monetarily tight household where food is never wasted (we will save the dangers of that for a later date), I have learned and practiced throwing food out. The garbage disposal is the BEST place because even I will not put my hand in there to take it back! I have a single friend I give it to if it is nice baked goods. I have even nicely wrapped up untouched food and taken it to an old veteran who sits outside my grocery store. I have fed squirrels yummy baked stuff.

It is just part of a new way of life for us IP'ers. New strategies, new thoughts, new actions, NEW BODY!
I totally relate to this post! I had a very busy, social weekend and last night I had a group of friends over for an appetizer night. I sent all the food home with everyone and what they didn't take... I threw in the garbage... One of the girls that came over is on IP so I made us deviled eggs and a few other IP friendly bites (yes the trusty old vegi platter was there! LOL!) I'm not a wine drinker so it wasn't a big deal for everyone around me to have a glass.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #119  
Started IP 5/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
I have been 100 % since the beginning, because I was desperate. I have been yo-yo dieting for most of my life. I had reached a point where I felt as though life was passing me by. I was almost invisible in society. I, had lost my sense of joy in life. Not everyone on IP has hit that point. Their life experiences are different and their use of food is individualized. I truly believe that food addiction and emotional eating are driven by the mind and the heart. When I see people struggling with cravings or slipping off program, most of the time- I feel compassion. I have been there. My hope for them is that they take the time to do the emotional work, so that food loses it's power.

I have learned that I have the power, to decide what goes into my mouth and how it serves my body. But, I always remember," There,but for the grace of God, go I."

All of you ladies have figured out your path. You provide kind guidance to those who follow, but sometime they have to find their own way.
This is such a great view and so spot on. As it is true that it is a struggle that some may fail at, and I have failed many times in the past, it is also true that you can meet the challenge and be successful. While I have understanding for those who are not able to be 100% OP , I wish they would also be less negative and more understanding towards those of us who are succeeding at maintaining compliance to IP. After all, IP is not designed for us to not be 100%, therefore if the goal is NOT to maintain at that level, it is not "in fact" IP.

I have read several negative remarks that it is not possible and that those of us who say we are on plan are not being truthful or are not being realistic. Others say that they endure harsh emotional or other types of situations that have caused them to be off plan. It is hurtful to judge in either direction. I have maintained 100% during phase 1 through some very hard life events. My first public "outing" after starting was to attend my best friends funeral. There have been some significant ordeals in my family and I have continued to be compliant and did not cheat even once. This is not something I am bragging about. It is something I worked hard to do and it was not easy! I just find it hurtful that I am made to feel as though I expect perfection out of others by my pride in working so hard to meet this challenge.

If I offer advice to others I feel as though I have to preface everything with an apology or plead for compassion and understanding prior to offering any type of suggestions or advice. I LOVE when someone offers me support, in whatever form it takes, whether at times it is with "tough" love, whether it is by giving me tips on how they have handled a situation, or sometimes when it is an offer of a hug, and a "Hey, it gets better. I am proof! And you can do it to!"

I generally keep these thoughts to myself, but I feel strongly that this is a two way street and while we need to be compassionate we also need to be fair to one another.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #120  
Started IP 04/22/2013

I can relate to so many of the posts today - so many heartfelt sentiments. I have realized through this journey that I am not alone in my feelings and my struggles to stay 100% is a shared struggle.

Every day I chose to stay OP is a victory for me - it would have been so easy to use events in my life as an excuse to go off plan, just like it was easy to excuse my eating before starting IP. I am learning to change my relationship with food and how I deal with hard times - not eating my feelings is so new for me and it takes practice.

So thanks to everyone for sharing so much and being here - having people who understand the changes needed and how to make them make these days so much brighter for me!
Closed Thread