Old 02-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #31  
Started IP May 1, 2012

S/C/G: 281/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm also feeling very discouraged this week. I'm down 12.4 lbs since reboot and I'm a daily weigher. I feel like I need to weigh daily so I stay on plan and adjust my eating as necessary. In the past, I have avoided the scale when I was afraid of what the numbers would say, so I feel like it keeps me accountable. Anyway, the scale hasn't budged in 3 days, and I feel like it's too early for this.

I've been good for the most part, although I have eaten slightly more than the allotted 8 oz protein for the past 2 evenings. I find myself just wanting to binge. It's not hunger; I know that. It's just the need to eat something (anything) and there is nothing I can do to stop it; it's at the front of my mind all day. It even got to the point that yesterday, I considered switching to Atkins just so I could eat more. I quit smoking, actually a year ago today (wow!) and the cravings are similar to those cravings.

Lol, I know this was all over the place, but thanks for listening/reading.

Last edited by 0ojoyo0; 02-05-2014 at 07:29 AM.
0ojoyo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 153/134.5/130 (first goal)

Height: 5'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmuroff1 View Post
So far I'm down 10.6 lbs since my reboot on jan 2nd. this week I'm feeling a little discouraged..TOM is here and my clothes don't feel right...i hate being bloated! i just feel like a beached whale lol. i may skip weighing myself on thursday all together. But i know once tom is out of the building i will shrink back hehe
I would still WI if I were you. I wanted to do that two weeks ago during TOM and decided to weigh, I only lost .2 but the following week I lost 2.2. So it all adds up in the end. Just don't expect great things this week at your WI
Sunflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ojoyo0 View Post
I'm also feeling very discouraged this week. I'm down 12.4 lbs since reboot and I'm a daily weigher. I feel like I need to weigh daily so I stay on plan and adjust my eating as necessary. In the past, I have avoided the scale when I was afraid of what the numbers would say, so I feel like it keeps me accountable. Anyway, the scale hasn't budged in 3 days, and I feel like it's too early for this.

I've been good for the most part, although I have eaten slightly more than the allotted 8 oz protein for the past 2 evenings. I find myself just wanting to binge. It's not hunger; I know that. It's just the need to eat something (anything) and there is nothing I can do to stop it; it's at the front of my mind all day. It even got to the point that yesterday, I considered switching to Atkins just so I could eat more. I quit smoking, actually a year ago today (wow!) and the cravings are similar to those cravings.

Lol, I know this was all over the place, but thanks for listening/reading.
I, too, am a daily weigher because I just like to have a guide as to how things are going. That being said, I take it with a grain of salt. I only allow myself the daily weigh with the understanding with my better self that I will NOT allow myself to get all twisted if it stays in the same place! In January, I had about 5 or 6 days running where the weight was the exact same to the very ounce.

Now you and I know that is not logical and therefore do not sweat it! It actually made me more determined to watch my measurements and my water and oil and make sure I was doing all possible. Then just be patient.

The cravings some times hit me, too. If I am at home, I go find something to do outside the house so that I a not in an area where food is accessible. After a short while, the craving is gone. I know that I cannot allow myself to sit on the sofa and read or watch TV when I am suffering from cravings. Too easy to get up and go into the kitchen.

Pickles help cleanse my mouth and so does tooth brushing. Both seem to cut the craving.
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 153/134.5/130 (first goal)

Height: 5'0

I agree, I don't like to weigh myself every day because I will get discouraged not seeing it move or even going up, so I weigh myself only on Saturday mornings. Sometimes, on rare occasion I do a midpoint WI. But I can't handle the ups and downs that comes with stepping on that thing daily. So if you can handle it I say go for it, but if you can't you're better off weighing only once a week.

Oojoy I think you should hang in there. Giving into cravings will only make you feel worse. You will lose eventually, if not this week, perhaps next week you will have a whoosh. Don't let the scale dictate your moods. Go by how you're feeling in your new skin. If you're not hungry you're doing something right!
Sunflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #35  

I would also chime in on the daily weighing...as hard as it is to not to do. I realized that my moods could change in an instant depending on what the scale said which meant that I had no control over my day since I weighed in the morning. On the other hand, I am much more accountable when I weigh daily. It's a double edge sword.
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #36  
knm

S/C/G: 146/146/125

Height: 5'1

I'm a daily weigher. Right now since it's still early the scale moves everyday, or at least doesn't go up I find it very motivating. I'm guessing that'll change after this week and then I might start weighing in less just so I don't get discouraged. I think I ate too much fat today. Went to my grandma's for dinner, and although she's very sweet and prepares foods that work for me, I can tell she uses more oil than I ever would and adds salt to everything, again, I'm sure it's more than we're allowed. I'll weigh tomorrow anyways, just to see how a day like today affects my weight.
knm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 181.5/170/140

Height: 5' 4.5"

I am also a daily weigher. I "gained" 4.5lbs after a little super bowl fun (a few cocktails were embibed along with OP food). I was shocked and laughed it off Monday morning, but when it had only dropped 2 of those pounds by Tuesday, it was not nearly as humerous.

Yet today, I was actually a half pound lower than I was Sunday morning so it definitely set the tone (size 6 skinny jeans with a pair of knee high boots - who am I?!?!).

I mostly just use the scale to keep myself accountable and I try to only get frustrated in the deep recesses of my mind. I do find it funny that when the scale jumps up, I wait for my "official" weigh in day to post my results for the week, but when the scale drops, I want to update my stats right away.

I guess to the number crunching me, its just part of my ritual. Just as I like to look at the numbers on MFP to see my nutrition for the day, I like to also see what story the scale is telling.

When I'm in maintenance, I do find that I must weigh everyday (or several times a week) because, just like flossing, when I break the habit I can go for a couple weeks without thinking about it and that's when the trouble starts.
Snarfler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:51 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 251/208/180

Height: 5'8"

I'm a scale nut, I step on it every time I go in the bathroom : It doesn't discourage me but keeps me honest and teaches me how my body is affected by what I did that day. For me It's typical that it doesn't move down every day but then boom it's down. I know if I eat to much salt or more OP food then I'm suppose to it may be more by a pound. Salt for me can add up to 3 lbs. but it goes away with next day of lower salt.
With this reboot I'm having cravings I didn't have the first time, of course due to the ice I couldn't make my weigh in this week and I'm out of my favorite items. But all in all this is still an awesome diet, what other diet can you complain about because you only lost 7 to 10 a month?

I'm hoping that this weigh in "Monday" is the "BIG" ONE under 200. I haven't been under 200 for 15 years wish me luck. My scale is off from the coaches by 2/4 lbs so I never really know what her scale is going to say. why not fix that, cause it kinda keeps the excitement of weigh in day!!

EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT FRIDAY!! TGIF

Last edited by kcdoe; 02-07-2014 at 06:54 AM.
kcdoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdoe View Post
I'm a scale nut, I step on it every time I go in the bathroom : It doesn't discourage me but keeps me honest and teaches me how my body is affected by what I did that day. For me It's typical that it doesn't move down every day but then boom it's down. I know if I eat to much salt or more OP food then I'm suppose to it may be more by a pound. Salt for me can add up to 3 lbs. but it goes away with next day of lower salt.
With this reboot I'm having cravings I didn't have the first time, of course due to the ice I couldn't make my weigh in this week and I'm out of my favorite items. But all in all this is still an awesome diet, what other diet can you complain about because you only lost 7 to 10 a month?

I'm hoping that this weigh in "Monday" is the "BIG" ONE under 200. I haven't been under 200 for 15 years wish me luck. My scale is off from the coaches by 2/4 lbs so I never really know what her scale is going to say. why not fix that, cause it kinda keeps the excitement of weigh in day!!

EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT FRIDAY!! TGIF
Good Luck KC...I happen to be with you on this and in the minority here...Completely agree with you on the daily weighing for EXACTLY the same reasons! It helps me understand how my body reacts to certain foods and how to manage my own sensitivities...and most importantly...it very simply keeps me honest. And humble..Seeing the daily fluctuations reminds me at any time I'm only a week away from needing to go on P1/2 to get back down...and if I were to choose NOT to keep tabs...a month could spell trouble. I see that when I travel and do not have access to consistent scale feedback. It can be daunting after a week to check for the first time.... It is either self serving or humbling. When weighing after a period of no scale access, and things are in the ball park range...under 2 lbs of change (for me,) it's either good...or...if approaching 3 lbs, it is a reality check.

Good luck with your next weigh in...You and Ruth Ann can be dance partners ........celebrating ....

While the rest of us are clapping for you!
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #40  

Daily weigh-ins (once daily) can be a VERY useful tool if they don't cause angst. I see so much scale angst (expecting daily weight drops, weighing more than once/daily and getting upset when it fluctuates are 2 examples) that I really think everyone needs to "weigh" this option for themselves (pun intended!)

Those who can view it with a grain of salt or (in maintenance) as a way to make adjustments to deter weight gain should use this useful tool. Those who get upset or frustrated should use it weekly, which actually gives us a good overall picture of what is happening but doesn't let any maintenance gains get too out of hand.

Those who freak out over +/- 1 lb over a day should probably stick with less frequent weigh-ins. Those who have made peace with the scale can view the daily fluctuations as useful info.

To each his/her own but when I see people freaking out, I will ALWAYS recommend staying off the scale between scheduled weekly weigh ins.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #41  

Lisa I agree with you to a point...However; it is something that if a body (and mind) do not make peace with before the end...there is going to be trouble in maintenance.

The literature and studies all indicate those who weigh daily are in the long run, more successful at both losing and maintaining. Fear of the scale and the angst needs to be overcome, and can be done. It is like fear of the gym..once you get in the groove it becomes easier. It also is way to easy to NOT get on the scale..bargaining with self, using the excuse
"I'll wait a few more days..I ate something salty..or had dinner out twice the last few days...."
This mindset if not overcome is part of being overweight, and has the potential to un-do the really hard work of the diet itself. Old habits need to change. All too often someone posts about being afraid to get on the scale. There are good reasons for not weighing so often......sometimes...

But ascribing to that school of thought leaves a back door open. Who is strong enough to not let them selves go down that hallway? Once you overcome and get in front of the fear...the scale can never be your enemy again. It is a good idea to learn how to make that work for you, or it will always be there.

So yes..perhaps initially if you are tenuous and not confident in the diet and yourself...go easy. As you get that assurance...it is something I believe you need to push through, or it has the potential to allow you to kid yourself that the scale is your enemy...at some point...it is not. That takes work and mental retraining.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #42  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
Lisa I agree with you to a point...However; it is something that if a body (and mind) do not make peace with before the end...there is going to be trouble in maintenance.

The literature and studies all indicate those who weigh daily are in the long run, more successful at both losing and maintaining. Fear of the scale and the angst needs to be overcome, and can be done. It is like fear of the gym..once you get in the groove it becomes easier. It also is way to easy to NOT get on the scale..bargaining with self, using the excuse
"I'll wait a few more days..I ate something salty..or had dinner out twice the last few days...."
This mindset if not overcome is part of being overweight, and has the potential to un-do the really hard work of the diet itself. Old habits need to change. All too often someone posts about being afraid to get on the scale. There are good reasons for not weighing so often......sometimes...

But ascribing to that school of thought leaves a back door open. Who is strong enough to not let them selves go down that hallway? Once you overcome and get in front of the fear...the scale can never be your enemy again. It is a good idea to learn how to make that work for you, or it will always be there.

So yes..perhaps initially if you are tenuous and not confident in the diet and yourself...go easy. As you get that assurance...it is something I believe you need to push through, or it has the potential to allow you to kid yourself that the scale is your enemy...at some point...it is not. That takes work and mental retraining.
Agreed! Peace with the scale must be reached. And it is mind over matter, the same as staying OP to start with.

So how do we get people to STOP freaking out over a slight increase over a day or two that has nothing to do with calories/cheating (normal fluctuation)? Let alone folks who jump on the scale multiple times per day and then freak when it fluctuates? These are the things that drives me bananas.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #43  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Agreed! Peace with the scale must be reached. And it is mind over matter, the same as staying OP to start with.

So how do we get people to STOP freaking out over a slight increase over a day or two that has nothing to do with calories/cheating (normal fluctuation)? Let alone folks who jump on the scale multiple times per day and then freak when it fluctuates? These are the things that drives me bananas.
Once we have been on this diet for a few weeks..it should happen...If it does not..then being honest, I think there are varying levels of people not WANTING to be be honest with themselves over small indescretions, (not weighing and measuring food among them) , not wanting to acknowledge and learn what their own body hormone system does on a weekly/monthly basis and wishful thinking that this diet is not magic. There is that overweight mentality that ignorance is bliss...OK..get over it. Or as someone else said..stay fat. ( LOL.... I know that was Ruth Ann..and it was priceless..but TRUE. Just as this is)

We POWs (Previously Over Weights ..I forget who said that...but it is outrageously pragmatic and truer than true in this case....) ALL POWs are going to have to learn how to manage this daily. The scale is going to matter. No one else or any diet plan is going to hand long term success over on a silver platter. Get on with it. Get over it. Or you are going to have a bigger problem..once you recognize how easily it can all be lost. Then the badmouthing IP begins.....

I know I sound a quit harsh..but really and honestly....it is a straightforward truth.....just like the number on the scale. In most business they live and die by the numbers. This personal business of mine is no different.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #44  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
Once we have been on this diet for a few weeks..it should happen...If it does not..then being honest, I think there are varying levels of people not WANTING to be be honest with themselves over small indescretions, (not weighing and measuring food among them) , not wanting to acknowledge and learn what their own body hormone system does on a weekly/monthly basis and wishful thinking that this diet is not magic. There is that overweight mentality that ignorance is bliss...OK..get over it. Or as someone else said..stay fat. ( LOL.... I know that was Ruth Ann..and it was priceless..but TRUE. Just as this is)

We POWs (Previously Over Weights ..I forget who said that...but it is outrageously pragmatic and truer than true in this case....) ALL POWs are going to have to learn how to manage this daily. The scale is going to matter. No one else or any diet plan is going to hand long term success over on a silver platter. Get on with it. Get over it. Or you are going to have a bigger problem..once you recognize how easily it can all be lost. Then the badmouthing IP begins.....

I know I sound a quit harsh..but really and honestly....it is a straightforward truth.....just like the number on the scale. In most business they live and die by the numbers. This personal business of mine is no different.
LOL... you always word it so eloquently.
I just want to jump straight to "quit your B1tc#!#g" LOL

On another note: I'm in the process of getting an appointment with a functional medicine doctor to help me with this stall. When I gain after a strict p1 month, SOMETHING is wrong. In the meantime, I'm going to use this time to make some more scale peace & start daily weighing. I did it when I was losing weight but the stall got to me. Time to view it as "just a number" whether I'm losing or not!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #45  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
LOL... you always word it so eloquently.
I just want to jump straight to "quit your B1tc#!#g" LOL

On another note: I'm in the process of getting an appointment with a functional medicine doctor to help me with this stall. When I gain after a strict p1 month, SOMETHING is wrong. In the meantime, I'm going to use this time to make some more scale peace & start daily weighing. I did it when I was losing weight but the stall got to me. Time to view it as "just a number" whether I'm losing or not!
Lisa-

I♥U..

And...Good luck with your eval. It's time...way time. You've done your due diligence.♥