Old 03-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #271  

S/C/G: 153/134.5/130 (first goal)

Height: 5'0

Thanks Bella

Hi Gypsy - I did WW for years and never got to goal. While I believe it's good for maintenance and easier than IP I couldn't get to where I wanted to be. So I tried IP and am slowly getting there.

What I found with WW is that I was exercising too much and not eating enough. Also the weeks I didn't use my exercise points, those are the weeks I lost the most. You can do WW but do a low carb version. Cut back on the free fruit as well, especially the melons and bananas. I plan on doing WW again for maintenance.

Good luck to you. You're welcome to hang out here if you like. The WW board is dull
Sunflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #272  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdoe View Post
Joysh, is that 10 lbs I just saw melting away!!!! Very smart to catch it at 10 congrats..... Summer clothes and wearing my first ones without having to find Summer jackets to cover the fat has been the dangling carrot for me!!!
Support being sent your way!!!
Thanks for the support, kdoe. I need it. We all do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Yeah, we really do tend to be harder on ourselves than anyone else, don't we? I try to remember to give myself a break sometimes - this is HARD work!
Ruth Ann, you have done so well on this. Congratulations on getting to your goal! I know you must feel wonderful! Thanks for being here to support others along the way!

Hi Bellmack and Sunflower! You are so right that we need food to survive. We can't just say no to all food. So we're in this for life.

But I know there is a better way than the absolute "Yes, I'm Good" or "No, I'm bad" way of feeling about ourselves. I know I have to find it. I maintained (and still feel that I'm maintaining the big loss) for almost a year before I felt I needed to take care of those 10 pounds. During that time I had weeks that I felt really successful in eating well - and also included carbs and foods that I love, like nut butters and fruit. I know I need to step away and be more objective about it. Right now I'm doing what I need to so I can get those 10 pounds away. Then I'll phase off and maintain once again.

But I know myself and I know exactly what foods are those "sneaky trigger foods" for me. Those are the foods that I buy small portions of or just don't keep in the house.

Oh, I'm just ranting and hungry. Time to go home and have some lunch.

Happy thoughts to you all!
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #273  

S/C/G: 184 / 155 / 124

Height: 5'2"

thanks Sunflower...

I don't really "do" WW, but mostly use their app for tracking etc. I eat mostly low carb, but tend to overeat if I don't have a system to monitor and track. However, today I just found an app for my phone which was $3.99, which I'm checking out so maybe I can cancel the WW monthly fee since I really only use the app.

Thanks for the invite to hang around.
gypsyjaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:28 AM   #274  

arghhhh still not 100% today, better than yesterday though, so I will take it. Having a rough week I guess. Need to get back into my groove. Don't suspect I"ll be losing this week at all. Might even gain!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #275  

S/C/G: 251/208/180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Yeah, we really do tend to be harder on ourselves than anyone else, don't we? I try to remember to give myself a break sometimes - this is HARD work!
Yes and exhausting those in the world that never gain a lb and can eat what they want just do not know. Oh well I'm not one of them and have had to accept that my whole life we deserve a break today!!! Oh no that's a McDonald commercial not that kinda break he he he
Have a wonderful day!!!
kcdoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #276  

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysh View Post
Thanks for the support, kdoe. I need it. We all do!

Ruth Ann, you have done so well on this. Congratulations on getting to your goal! I know you must feel wonderful! Thanks for being here to support others along the way!

Hi Bellmack and Sunflower! You are so right that we need food to survive. We can't just say no to all food. So we're in this for life.

But I know there is a better way than the absolute "Yes, I'm Good" or "No, I'm bad" way of feeling about ourselves. I know I have to find it. I maintained (and still feel that I'm maintaining the big loss) for almost a year before I felt I needed to take care of those 10 pounds. During that time I had weeks that I felt really successful in eating well - and also included carbs and foods that I love, like nut butters and fruit. I know I need to step away and be more objective about it. Right now I'm doing what I need to so I can get those 10 pounds away. Then I'll phase off and maintain once again.

But I know myself and I know exactly what foods are those "sneaky trigger foods" for me. Those are the foods that I buy small portions of or just don't keep in the house.

Oh, I'm just ranting and hungry. Time to go home and have some lunch.

Happy thoughts to you all!
Joysh it's awesome how you can balance it out in maintenance! I'm afraid of it myself big time!!!! I don't understand how it can possibly work. Currently I'm eating a little more of the allowed foods and meat this causes me to lose minimal and eating to much even of the right things causes a gain! So how can I add the foods they speak of on maintenance and not gain. At this time it seems impossible! From time to time I read the maintenance thread on this site to read how they all do it and that helps!! I guess I will be there when I reach goal, whatever that number is which I can't seem to decide. Ok now I'm rambling lol thank you!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:16 AM   #277  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower40 View Post
arghhhh still not 100% today, better than yesterday though, so I will take it. Having a rough week I guess. Need to get back into my groove. Don't suspect I"ll be losing this week at all. Might even gain!
Right ther with you sunflower I weigh in today. My scale can't decide where to be. But last night my honey just walked up behind me put his arms around me and said "you are looking so awesome" ok ok reminder get outta my head I've come a long way and I'm lookin good!! I think I'll put my before pic on the fridge this week hmmm reality ck time perhaps! Oh well I'm hoping for inches if not weight. Wish me luck and good groove to you, we can do this !!!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #278  

S/C/G: 184 / 155 / 124

Height: 5'2"

My mantra...just because you get a flat tire doesn't mean you puncture the other 3 tires. Fix it...and keep moving forward.
gypsyjaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #279  
Started IP 6/14/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdoe View Post
Joysh it's awesome how you can balance it out in maintenance! I'm afraid of it myself big time!!!! I don't understand how it can possibly work. Currently I'm eating a little more of the allowed foods and meat this causes me to lose minimal and eating too much even of the right things causes a gain! So how can I add the foods they speak of on maintenance and not gain. At this time it seems impossible!
Kcdoe, you'll be able to do this when you get to goal - and you're really close! You've done a great job so far! Yes, there are some long-time maintainers on the maintenance thread who always have great suggestions and advice.

I know that one of the important keys to maintaining is to phase off very gradually. I spent 2-3 full weeks on P2 and another 2 full weeks on P3. Only then did I begin allowing myself other foods- and that was very gradually.

I never went back to my old habits. Never bought another bag of Doritos just for me, never had another diet drink. But I did allow myself the foods and snacks that I loved from time to time. What I found happens in IP that is the most important thing is that I learned how to cook and developed a taste for healthier foods.

I feel good when I eat an IP-type dinner of roasted veggies and meat or fish. It tastes good to me and makes me feel good after eating it. I think the key to maintaining is to continue the same pattern of eating, but allow for small amounts of other foods that we love.

Hope that helps a little. Keep on! You'll make it very soon. We all will!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #280  

Quote:
Kcdoe, you'll be able to do this when you get to goal - and you're really close! You've done a great job so far! Yes, there are some long-time maintainers on the maintenance thread who always have great suggestions and advice.

I know that one of the important keys to maintaining is to phase off very gradually. I spent 2-3 full weeks on P2 and another 2 full weeks on P3. Only then did I begin allowing myself other foods- and that was very gradually.

I never went back to my old habits. Never bought another bag of Doritos just for me, never had another diet drink. But I did allow myself the foods and snacks that I loved from time to time. What I found happens in IP that is the most important thing is that I learned how to cook and developed a taste for healthier foods.

I feel good when I eat an IP-type dinner of roasted veggies and meat or fish. It tastes good to me and makes me feel good after eating it. I think the key to maintaining is to continue the same pattern of eating, but allow for small amounts of other foods that we love.

Hey joysh, I am glad you mentioned the phasing off aspect. I skipped phase 2 and went right into phase 3(I really can't do phase 2 with all the protein and would rather an IP or alternative for lunch rather than the "real" food). I have been on phase 3 for 8 days and planning for a full two weeks. I have also noticed that phasing off is key (when I first got to goal, I really took my time) but when I have done reboots here and there and not phased off it seems to come on quicker. Why do you think that is?
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #281  
Started IP 6/14/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post
Hey joysh, I am glad you mentioned the phasing off aspect. I skipped phase 2 and went right into phase 3(I really can't do phase 2 with all the protein and would rather an IP or alternative for lunch rather than the "real" food). I have been on phase 3 for 8 days and planning for a full two weeks. I have also noticed that phasing off is key (when I first got to goal, I really took my time) but when I have done reboots here and there and not phased off it seems to come on quicker. Why do you think that is?
I hear you about P2. It gets really easy to do IP/or alternatives at lunch. It become a no-brainer, especially for me. I found P2 to be important for me, though, because it got me into a new habit of having meat or fish (or egg) protein available for me to eat at lunch. This happened while I was still losing weight, still in ketosis, but preparing for the future. No need to think about breakfast yet, just figuring out lunches that work for my life. All of a sudden I had to cook double the amount of meat protein so I'd have enough for lunches.

I'm not sure why it comes on quicker, but I suspect it's because we haven't really built in the right habits. I didn't do a gradual phase off when I did a short reboot in January and I found that the 5 pounds came on + 5 more really quickly. Of course, I know exactly why that happened and what I ate. But it's all ok with me! We've got the tools, and I'm happy for that.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #282  

The packaged protein is so convenient and easy...you are right about that. In fact, last night because I was running around Denver like a chicken with no head, I had one for dinner. Not great for phase 3 maybe but it was better than the drive through.

I think the phasing off really helps to establish eating big breakfasts and making that a priority but I am not sure if there is scientific evidence backing it. At least that is what my coach says...that reintroducing carbs in the morning is good for the pancreas but to actually gain the weight back you would have to consume 3500 per lb according to her. I asked about this last year when I did a week reboot and she said just do a few days of phase 3 and I was like wait...don't I need two weeks to let my body readjust so I don't just gain it all back.

The tools are so important. My husband lost 17lbs in three weeks (one of which was phase 3...darn men) and he is going to have a drink with some friends tonight and panicking about gaining it all back. I was telling him relax, if the scale moves a lb or two and you are not OK with it, do a phase 1 day. Its a tool that you use and should use often to keep yourself in check. It's funny to watch him go through some of the things I did the first round on IP that just annoyed him (despite his full support). Now I get to be the coach at home and its fun.

I hope your restart is going well. I will be rooting you on!
Old 03-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #283  

Sunflower...kcdoe...how you guys doing today? I have been thinking of you both.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #284  

HI eandc, it's been a tough week for me. Very emotionally challening.
Most days, like today, I did really good, but I'm afraid the scale still inched up from last week. So I'm suspecting a gain this week.

I cleaned up some things in my life so should be a better week next week. I hope so anyhow. Sometimes you have to rid yourself of those who bring you down altogether and this I am planning on doing.

I will report back tomorrow after my WI. Only approx 6 weeks left til my dress comes in, maybe it will be late, but I can still get to 130 by then. Fingers crossed. If not, I will be doing alterations twice as I am not stopping until I get to 125 by my wedding.

How are you doing? How about everyone else? knm?
Old 03-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #285  

Quote:

Thank you Joysh it does help! number one thing sounds like I need to remember is I'm not on this till I can go back to real life. This is my new life and I need to make it work. Plan for maintenance meals like I do IP meals! Biggest downfall is not planning and grabbing what's there or not eating at all Vicious cycle that leads to bad habits thanks for sharing!!!!!