3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Hunger with IP (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/292232-hunger-ip.html)

Paulitens 01-29-2014 09:20 PM

Hunger with IP

Hello fellow IP dieters!

I'm doing an alternative IP diet (the only "official" difference is that I'm drinking EAS Advantedge Carb Control shakes). I have a question/problem I am wondering if other IP dieters have: I feel very hungry during the morning. I start drinking my water, I take the vitamins, I have my shake, and I drink an herbal tea from Argentina (mate), because that's where I'm originally from, and really, it's just water. So throughout the morning I sip my water, and my shake, and my mate, and that's how my morning goes. But I feel like my stomach is empty, like I need to chew on something and actually eat food. And so I go ahead and accompany all my sipping mate, and water, and the protein shake with half a Big100 (an awesome protein bar, also pretty high on carbs because it's a meal replacement sold in stores, and this is the "unofficial" part of my IP diet, because if anything, this is where I break it a bit every day even though I've lost 5lbs on the first week).

Anyhow, I am trying REALLY hard to quit the Big100s because it is so not part of the IP protocol and I want to stick to it 100%. But I feel so hungry and craving the bar, I can't seem to stop myself! I mean, physically I am not hungry, it's more of a craving to chew on something yummy.

Does this ever happen to you? Does all the drinking during the morning satisfy you? Does it calm all your cravings? If not, how do you cope? How do you cope when you feel like chewing something and all the diet says is that you must drink?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :mad: All these questions are driving me nuts! I have honestly tried to quit eating the protein bar. I have cut it down to half a day, I cut it into tiny pieces so I nibble and eat less of it... but I still can't make that step into NOT eating any of it.

I need suggestions, advise, your experiences... whatever! Anything will work. Thank you!! :hug:

PS: One week later... I ditched the bars and replaced them for an egg if I feel like I need to "chew" on something in the morning. I have lost another 5 lbs last week. I was all wrong. I guess I was a little down. Well, no mo'! :carrot:

ems70508 01-29-2014 09:43 PM

Well, if you're trying to follow IP as close to 100% as you can (alternatives being your difference) have you considered starting your day with real protein, like eggs? A hardboiled egg always helps me! Maybe even two! Then just do veggies for lunch and 4 oz of protein at dinner. Splitting your 8 ounces is acceptable.

ColoradoCarol 01-29-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulitens (Post 4931677)
Hello fellow IP dieters!

I'm doing an alternative IP diet (the only "official" difference is that I'm drinking EAS Advantedge Carb Control shakes). I have a question/problem I am wondering if other IP dieters have: I feel very hungry during the morning. I start drinking my water, I take the vitamins, I have my shake, and I drink an herbal tea from Argentina (mate), because that's where I'm originally from, and really, it's just water. So throughout the morning I sip my water, and my shake, and my mate, and that's how my morning goes. But I feel like my stomach is empty, like I need to chew on something and actually eat food. And so I go ahead and accompany all my sipping mate, and water, and the protein shake with half a Big100 (an awesome protein bar, also pretty high on carbs because it's a meal replacement sold in stores, and this is the "unofficial" part of my IP diet, because if anything, this is where I break it a bit every day even though I've lost 5lbs on the first week).

Anyhow, I am trying REALLY hard to quit the Big100s because it is so not part of the IP protocol and I want to stick to it 100%. But I feel so hungry and craving the bar, I can't seem to stop myself! I mean, physically I am not hungry, it's more of a craving to chew on something yummy.

Does this ever happen to you? Does all the drinking during the morning satisfy you? Does it calm all your cravings? If not, how do you cope? How do you cope when you feel like chewing something and all the diet says is that you must drink?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :mad: All these questions are driving me nuts! I have honestly tried to quit eating the protein bar. I have cut it down to half a day, I cut it into tiny pieces so I nibble and eat less of it... but I still can't make that step into NOT eating any of it.

I need suggestions, advise, your experiences... whatever! Anything will work. Thank you!! :hug:

Okay, in my experience, the hunger will pass once you have been on the plan for a while. If you are hungry in the morning, eat part of your lunch veggies. As far as the cravings, you need to not give in to them. You are stronger than the cravings, remind yourself of that. If it isn't on plan, don't eat it. The success on this diet is following it to a "T". If the bars don't fit the profile of what alternatives should be -don't eat it. This diet is about retraining and discipline, during the weight loss phases and in maintenance. I know that will never will be able to go back to my old habits if I want to keep the weight off and I have worked very hard to get the weight off. I just don't even think about the possibility of going off plan.

Good luck. I hope you take this as it is intended - just suggestions to help you on your journey.

JLUS 01-29-2014 10:31 PM

It's possible that you have not entered ketosis - the point at which your carbohydrate stores are depleted and your body starts burning fat. That is the goal of IP and if you are not 100% on plan, then you very well could be consuming too many carbs to enter Ketosis. Oh, and the MAGIC of ketosis is that it CURBS HUNGER and cravings diminish or disappear!!

Try being 100% on plan for a week to ten days, following exact P1 Protocol. Yes, you will have to tough out a few uncomfortable days, but that's part of learning to mange our eating habits.

Breakfast does NOT have to be a shake. I NEVER feel satisfied starting my day that way. Instead I opt for an omelet (IP or an alternative omelet product.) or sub one whole egg and two egg whites. I often add 1/2 cup of my veggies to this. There are also cereals and oatmeals (a number of them are unrestricted) and lots of us make pancakes from IP crispy cereal or Maple Grove Farms Sugar-Free pancake mix (use only water and an egg white with 1/4 cup mix to meet IP standards). You can make waffles from a variety of pudding mix favors. Top waffles or pancakes with maple or blueberry Walden Farms syrup.

Read the Alternative Product threads and What Are You Eating Today threads for TONS of ideas!

You can do this 100% if you decide to do it!! GO FOR IT!!!

SarahJ86 01-29-2014 10:43 PM

I experience this a couple times a week. I work super early usually starting at 630. I drink a shake on the way and for morning break I am typically hungry. I will drink the rest of my coffee that I didn't finish on the way into work. That really helps. If I wait 10 min and am still hungry I usually have the garlic chips for snack or lunch any non perishable IP item would probably work or alternative since you are going that route. But I will have like 5 chips and that helped today and yesterday. I am in healthcare so am running around all morning. There have been times I have eaten half my veggies at morning break around 930 too. Break up your meals a little more it might help.

schenectady 01-30-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Hello fellow IP dieters!

There have been a lot of great ideas that people have given you. I have mentioned the Bubbies pickles many times - they are very big, crunchy, and totally drive out the desire for sweet.

Read over what you wrote, and although you title it "hunger" what you talk about is CRAVING and that is not hunger. You even use that word several time. That is something that maybe needs to be dealt with in your head, your emotions, not your stomach.

But my reals suggestion is DO NOT BUY these bars if they are a 'crave' challenge. If you do not have them available, you cannot eat them. I know that I would have a problem with Quest bars and some of the bars that are LEGAL so I simply do not allow them near me.

stephascope 01-30-2014 08:35 AM

I would suggest eating some real protein rather than the protein bar. Have a hard boiled egg for a mid morning and/or afternoon snack. Add some protein at lunch too if needed. Even in ketosis I am starving by lunch and dinner time. My coach suggested adding more protein - not necessarily splitting up the 8 oz. I am eating sometimes 12 oz of animal protein plus my 3 packets and my losses are still great. And I'm not starving anymore!

IdealProteinNewbie 01-30-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Hello fellow IP dieters!

Agree with all the suggestions offered.

I'm still stuck on the statement I bolded above.

Many people on IP who have reached goal never drank a single shake. If you spend some time reading through the recipes you'll find many.

The easiest way to not keep eating the Big100 bar is to stop buying them. Then figure out why you keep eating them if you want to succeed in maintenance.

trinny 01-30-2014 09:12 AM

Another vote to ditch the Big100 bar. The problem with carbs is that they suck you into a vicious circle of wanting more carbs.

This is explained really well in the book "Wheat Belly" which speaks specifically to wheat but can also be applied to carbohydrates in general.

The first couple of days you will have to grit your teeth a bit, but once you break through you will not have the same hunger/cravings.

mars735 01-30-2014 09:22 AM

How high on carbs is the Big100 bar? If it is higher than IP restricted, you are sabotaging your hard work! On the other hand, it it's IP-compliant, it seems to be stirring some cravings. I agree with the poster above--get it out of your diet and either eat your protein meal in the am, or try a lower carb bar to chew on. Personally I found it easier to avoid all bars as they were just triggers for me. Chicken is nice and chewy and there's no reason you can't have some for breakfast. Eggs or superfirm tofu might also work.

IdealProteinNewbie 01-30-2014 09:29 AM

Calories 420
Calories from fat 130
Fat 14
Saturated fat 8
Carbs 43
Fiber 3
Sugar 25
Protein 30

Is it the MET-Rx Big100 protein bar with the above nutrition?

If so it definitely isn't compatible with IP...not even if you cut it in half.

DanafromAustin 01-30-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie (Post 4931975)
Calories 420
Calories from fat 130
Fat 14
Saturated fat 8
Carbs 43
Fiber 3
Sugar 25
Protein 30

Is it the MET-Rx Big100 protein bar with the above nutrition?

If so it definitely isn't compatible with IP...not even if you cut it in half.

Wow, way too many carbs and calories. Ditch the bar now. I always have an IP bar for breakfast because like you, I have to have something to chew on in the morning. If still hungry before lunch a hard boiled egg takes care of the hunger every time.

Lynnie63 01-30-2014 10:11 AM

When I was on maintenance I tried a few protein bars - I found I craved them. I had to stop buying them.

I still get hungry so I have egg whites mid-morning, I have lettuce with my shake for lunch and then my veggies mid-afternoon. So I end up eating 6 times a day.

I also have Spry gum.

Drinking warm liquid is more satisfying than cold. I also have been drinking broth as well lately as a snack every so often.

Paulitens 01-30-2014 11:15 AM

Woooooooooooooooaaaah! Thank you so much, ladies!!

Today's my first day ditching the Big100. ;) As IdealProteinNewby pointed out, I am aware it is not part of the protocol and I know it's what keeps me going back to them like a sucker because it's so full of carbs (it is a meal replacement for people who work out heavily, which I don't right now). I will try all your other options--I prefer not to spend $$ on IP products if I can find alternatives so I will look a bit more into that (I already did, a lot).

And the funny (weird) thing is that I don't crave absolutely anything else. Well, yeah, chocolate, and these bars are chocolate flavored. I have sat next to plates of chocolate chip cookies, I have made pancakes with peanut butter and maple syrup, and sausages, and there is a slice of a pre-diet scrumptious cheesecake saying hello to me every time I open the fridge... and I don't feel like eating it. I don't feel cravings for anything. And considering how miserable I was the first two-three days dieting, and how great I feel now, I do believe my body has somewhat entered into ketosis. But not enough for it to actually curve this craving (because I keep caving), and not enough to start burning my stored fat. Last week I lost 5 lbs. This week I don't think I'm going to lose as much and I know it's because of the Big100.

So anyway... thank you so much for the suggestions and the support! I will take everything into consideration and see how I can replace it.

Thank you all!! :hugs:

IdealProteinNewbie 01-30-2014 11:25 AM

Paulitens: You can do it, we're all cheering for you!

Nashua carries many IP compatible bars...most with chocolate!