IP Daily Chat

You're on Page 2 of 5
Go to
  • Only you!
    Quote: Glad to see I'm not the only one with the winter blues! It's dark when I go to work, dark on my way home and by the time I've taken care of everything at home it's time for bed. I'm going to make it a point if we have sun to get out of the office today and walk around for a bit - that should help!

Re: food dreams - the only food dreams I've had are ones where I overeat allowed food. My brain is wired funny! Had one the other night where I ate 14 hamburger patties in lettuce - don't know where my mind came up with that number!
    RuthAnn - you always make me laugh or smile. Only you would dream of eating 14 hamburger patties - WRAPPED IN LETTUCE! No carb laden buns with those 14 hamburgers!
  • Quote: I'm gonna buy a full spectrum light bulb to put in a desk lamp at work. Hoping that will help, too. So cold & dreary!
    Good idea Lisa - I may give that a go!

Quote: RuthAnn - you always make me laugh or smile. Only you would dream of eating 14 hamburger patties - WRAPPED IN LETTUCE! No carb laden buns with those 14 hamburgers!
    I really think my brain is trying to tell me it likes IP. Or I'm just strange. Or both.
  • Hi, IPers!

I would really like to get back in the habit of regular posting, but with my work schedule, I am not sure that is realistic. I have a bad pattern of setting up unrealistic expectations in about every area of my life and then disappointing myself. I have gained back some of weight that I had gotten rid of "forever". But, it only is "forever" if you stick with the healthy habits, right? I got up early this morning, which felt great, but then over indulged in an off-plan breakfast. I am being accountable here! I have been trying to decide if I should go back on Phase I or not right now. It may not be the best time, but I am impatient for the weight to be gone!

Exercise right now is pre-hab (PT). I fell skiing just before Christmas, fractured my tibia, completely tore my ACL, partially tore my MCL and meniscus, and damaged the surrounding muscles. Surgery is next week... For now, I am in relatively little pain. So I am tempted to prep a bunch of food so that after my surgery when I can't access the kitchen on my own, I can go through Induction. Does that sound stupid? My only concern is the dairy. I have always been a consummate dairy consumer, and until now I have never broken anything. I don't know if it is just bad luck now, of if IP (Alternatives) and the lack of regular exercise made me predisposed to the injury. (I am thinking calcium and vitamin D in particular.) I was taking calcium supplements fairly regularly, but was less in the habit after I moved on from Phase I.

Also, on Phase I before I had started out with EAS drinks and PureProtein bars. As I progressed, I was using very little of those and more and more of the products available at Nashua. I was pretty good about checking labels and making sure I was selecting non-restricted and restricted foods fairly close to the IP label nutrition. But, my weight loss slowed and eventually stalled for a long time. I may go back to just the EAS drinks and PureProtein bars for my IP foods. (It may also be much easier on my husband while I recover.)

lisa32989: Your profile picture looks amazing. You've been such an inspiration to me!

schenectady: It sounds like your home looked fantastic. Share the pictures, if you are willing. Someday, I'll manage to get through this clutter and have an enjoyable house. I guess it is a journey, not a destination.

sarahBell: I am sorry to read about your woes. That all really stinks! Hang in there! Any chance you could make a creative southwest-themed staycation with the kids? (I don't have kids, so I have no idea how ridiculous of a suggestion that may seem.)
  • Quote: I'm having the same gym problems. I prefer to work out before work and had planned a turn-around after the new year but got a nasty virus that is STILL sapping my energy & causing me to prefer to stay in a warm bed that to brave arctic temps.

So, I'm stuck with after-work and I'm the QUEEN of excuses. I do best if I head there directly after work, do-not-pass-go, do-not-collect-$200.
    So, I pack my clothes & take them with me. The other day I forgot to take a snack & used it as an excuse to come home and grab one. MISTAKE. Now the snack is getting packed in the gym bag.

I did a light workout yesterday & didn't even really feel better afterward. But I know in the long-run it is better for me.

I MUST get outside on Sunday when the arctic chill is going to clear for a day or two. Hoping for some sunshine, as well.
    It's definitely hard to get to the gym if you're under the weather and energy is low. I keep hearing that even then, a light to moderate workout helps circulation and all kinds of other systems that keep us healthy. Waiting for it to kick in for me too!

I hear you on all the possible excuses - the other day I almost skipped out because I forgot to pack my headphones in the gym bag and decided I couldn't work out without my music, but sucked it up and did it anyway.

Hope you get some sunshine this weekend!
  • I never get sick, but am struggling with a sore throat. So I am gonna stay home and get some extra rest. I do have weigh in at 4:40, so will hopefully feel better. I really dislike winter and this winter is being very unkind!
  • Hello all!
    Sorry it's been awhile since I have posted.
    I had my WI this morning, and I melted off 2.4 lbs this week! I have officially lost over 70 lbs now! I really need to get measurements done, because when I was slowing down these last few weeks, I noticed my clothes getting looser.
    Man o man, the compliments I have gotten lately, because people are seeing me for the first time in over a month now that I am back at school.
    I was looking at pictures of me from my freshman year here at college, and I was actually surprised... My face looked like a volleyball... I couldn't recognize myself, and I am so happy I got the opportunity to do what I'm doing. I'm so grateful for all of your support as well!
    Happy Friday!
  • Quote: Well the last week has just sucked big time. Bad things happen in "3s".
    First last week the kids broke my laptop (milk got spilled on it by little peanut)
    Then my cell phone broke (the port for the charger is loose and no longer works) so I have been with out a phone for a week and will not get one until next Wed or Thursday (it is being replaced by the Geek Squad from sprint) so until then no phone which DD and little peanut are the culprits for it breaking. LIttle bug just snatches it when he climbs the counters to see what's up there and grabs it and the USB gets yanked out, AND dd never leaves it aloe all she wants to do is play games on it and grabs it when I try to charge it, she will snatch it up the second my back is turned and not let it charge!

AND in Feb. the kids and I were to accompany DH on his trip to Dallas. I was so looking forward to this. I have been in a funk for the past 3 weeks, I am just feeling blue (my theory is SAD). And someone threw a wrench into this trip which he had the go ahead from the Sr. Global director to bring us along. Said dir. goes on vaca after giving the approval for expenses per employee, then dh's manager undermines said Dir. cutting the approved budget in HALF and having DH share a rental car with the only other employee who is going!!!! I was looking forward to 8 days of no Artic weather, the possibility to get outside (even 30 degrees is balmy for me!) so um yeah.

I finally got to Sams yesterday to get my EAS shakes!!! The kids had no school yesterday and out early Wed due to the extreme cold and ground blizzard warnings!!!

I had my WI in today and I am amazingly down 1.6 lbs some how some way.

OUr annv. is Feb 5th and I found Dhs gift and I need to get it a couple of days before. So I hope things get better.

Today the temp is going to be 32 and sunny!!! I am taking little peanut out for a short walk with him on the sled- IF the wind is not blowing!
    Sarah Bell.. First...a hug

Next- Some tough love. Maybe stop reading now. if you would rather just have a place to vent, I respect that.

It's easy for any and everyone to have parenting and relationship advice for us. When my kids were babies/toddlers, an older woman in my life, (not my mother) gave me some very generic rules to live by. As my family grew and the kids got older, the rules still worked...and as adults dealing in an adult world...yep..they for the most part still have traction! It was the best 1:1 chat I ever had with a woman at that stage of my life. So I speak from experience...and having been the recipient of this same chat myself.

1. If you don't respect yourself and what you need and insist on that for what belongs to you, don't expect anyone else to automatically give it.
    2. It 's alright to have personal limits on what you will tolerate.
    3. It is alright to let others (kids esp) know they are at or past the tolerance limit when/if it happens.
    4. If it is necessary to react somehow to a bad situation esp with your older children, it is important to make the punishment fit the crime. Taking a moment to think about how you will respond or react is often going to work well. They will learn that it is NOT over in the first 5 minutes ...and to expect you to reflect on their bad behavior when they are older. Squirming for older kids is good thing. Very good thing.
    5. Your time is more important and worth more than that of your kids.

#4 and 5 were really really important when my kids were teens.

Example of #4..
    You forget your gym clothes/lunch /homework...and I have to leave work..go home and get it and bring it to you...and that fiasco costs me 1.5 hrs to fix and did not endear me to my boss, I will do it ! I'm your mom....BUT......you owe me 3 hrs...and I get to pick what and when you will spend the time doing whatever I decide. I did not get too many calls like this because they knew ...I was not their "get outta jail free card..."
    One though time when my daughter called about a forgotten gym suit...I could safely deduce she was more afraid of the gym teacher than she was of me...AND darn the garage looked good when she paid me back!!!

Example #5..

Other daughter was a door slammer when she was upset with us. We told her calmly if she slammed another door we would take her bedroom door off the frame and then there would be no door to slam.
    Yes..she slammed it again...once.
    But never again after that.
    There was little discussion of this. My husband just went and got a screwdriver....I think I probably could have done this alone if he had not been home tho'...
    Every family is different, but it comes down to #1. Respecting each other and feeling it is OK to expect AND get that respect. Even the 2 year old can begin to learn when he does not meet your expectations. There should be a gentle consistent consequence for that and buzz words he understands. 2 Year olds get it all. They really really do. Straight out Pow-wow time with the older kids though. ASAP- Take them to a burger joint and lay it out calmly.. Key is you must deliver...and be consistent. Once they recognize you have hit the wall and they can figure out there will be consequences for unacceptable or disrespectful behavior.... all bets are off. Spend some time thinking about what gets their attention...and remain calm. Stick to the plan if you need to implement...(which you will).

By the same token...recognizing respect and attempts to function responsibly should be treated, recognized and respected in turn as they approach becoming as an adult. Lunch out with JUST you and daughter...at a nicer place you would never dream of taking the 2 yr old. And hire a babysitter occasionally so you get that 1:1 with the older kids and/or husband. If the babysitter cost blows the budget... there are free things in nearly every community you can spend 2 hrs doing. Fix a nice lunch at home for the two of you...but still have a sitter take the 2 yr old to the park!!! But do it. When they see you taking the time and seeing how positively you benefit from it...they are likely to understand and try as well.

But you DO get to drive the respect bus...they're the passengers. Actually it is probably your job...(You know... the one you're not paid enough for!!!)

I hope you take this in a positive light. If you can not get mental organization to your day you are going to continue to struggle. Every person has daily challenges. Some days the obstacles are more and bigger than others...but every single person on this forum has "stuff" to deal with Almost every day. The difference over the long haul is how it's done...not that it's easier. Over the long term, we control how we react to stress, food, people and whatever life throws our way. And many days..it is not easy.

We are all rooting for you. You've got the keys though...
  • Wow 65 what great perspective - not just for parents but for everyone! Setting boundaries and enforcing them is something we can all benefit from. Thank you!
  • Quote: Hello all!
    I had my WI this morning, and I melted off 2.4 lbs this week! I have officially lost over 70 lbs now! I really need to get measurements done, because when I was slowing down these last few weeks, I noticed my clothes getting looser.
    Man o man, the compliments I have gotten lately, because people are seeing me for the first time in over a month now that I am back at school.
    I was looking at pictures of me from my freshman year here at college, and I was actually surprised... My face looked like a volleyball... I couldn't recognize myself, and I am so happy I got the opportunity to do what I'm doing. I'm so grateful for all of your support as well!
    Happy Friday!
    Passing -70 pounds is a huge accomplishment and I am sure we are all as proud of you as we can be. I, too, am just beginning to get compliments for the first time in my life. I have never done drugs but I think the high is probably almost just as high! It is a whole different world and those are almost enough encouragement, although we know we do this for ourselves.

And yes, when we look at older photos, it seems as if we were never really seeing ourselves. We also tend to be a genius at avoiding the camera. The one that did it for me was taken when I was back visiting my family. I was happy and relaxed. When I looked at the picture, there was this massive pink faced tomato and I did not even know I looked like that!

Hang in there, Deana, you are making such a great change in an already great life. You are inspiration to others.
  • stefnrod
    yesterday you asked what to do with the lemon pudding.
    My favorite is to make lemon poppyseed muffins (with zucchini)

See my zucchini muffin recipe in Recipes #4 (link is in first post of this thread)
  • [QUOTE=65X65;4927314]
    [/INDENT]Example #5..

Other daughter was a door slammer when she was upset with us. We told her calmly if she slammed another door we would take her bedroom door off the frame and then there would be no door to slam.[INDENT][I]Yes..she slammed it again...once.
    There was little discussion of this. My husband just went and got a screwdriver....I think I probably could have done this alone if he had not been home tho'...

I loved to laugh along with your Example 5. Thank you for sharing your wit and character!
  • Advice that money cannot buy
    Quote: Sarah Bell.. First...a hug

Next- Some tough love. Maybe stop reading now. if you would rather just have a place to vent, I respect that.

It's easy for any and everyone to have parenting and relationship advice for us. When my kids were babies/toddlers, an older woman in my life, (not my mother) gave me some very generic rules to live by. As my family grew and the kids got older, the rules still worked...and as adults dealing in an adult world...yep..they for the most part still have traction! It was the best 1:1 chat I ever had with a woman at that stage of my life. So I speak from experience...and having been the recipient of this same chat myself.

1. If you don't respect yourself and what you need and insist on that for what belongs to you, don't expect anyone else to automatically give it.
    2. It 's alright to have personal limits on what you will tolerate.
    3. It is alright to let others (kids esp) know they are at or past the tolerance limit when/if it happens.
    4. If it is necessary to react somehow to a bad situation esp with your older children, it is important to make the punishment fit the crime. Taking a moment to think about how you will respond or react is often going to work well. They will learn that it is NOT over in the first 5 minutes ...and to expect you to reflect on their bad behavior when they are older. Squirming for older kids is good thing. Very good thing.
    5. Your time is more important and worth more than that of your kids.

#4 and 5 were really really important when my kids were teens.

Example of #4..
    You forget your gym clothes/lunch /homework...and I have to leave work..go home and get it and bring it to you...and that fiasco costs me 1.5 hrs to fix and did not endear me to my boss, I will do it ! I'm your mom....BUT......you owe me 3 hrs...and I get to pick what and when you will spend the time doing whatever I decide. I did not get too many calls like this because they knew ...I was not their "get outta jail free card..."
    One though time when my daughter called about a forgotten gym suit...I could safely deduce she was more afraid of the gym teacher than she was of me...AND darn the garage looked good when she paid me back!!!

Example #5..

Other daughter was a door slammer when she was upset with us. We told her calmly if she slammed another door we would take her bedroom door off the frame and then there would be no door to slam.
    Yes..she slammed it again...once.
    Every family is different, but it comes down to #1. Respecting each other and feeling it is OK to expect AND get that respect. Even the 2 year old can begin to learn when he does not meet your expectations. There should be a gentle consistent consequence for that and buzz words he understands. 2 Year olds get it all. They really really do. Straight out Pow-wow time with the older kids though. ASAP- Take them to a burger joint and lay it out calmly.. Key is you must deliver...and be consistent. Once they recognize you have hit the wall and they can figure out there will be consequences for unacceptable or disrespectful behavior.... all bets are off. Spend some time thinking about what gets their attention...and remain calm. Stick to the plan if you need to implement...(which you will).

By the same token...recognizing respect and attempts to function responsibly should be treated, recognized and respected in turn as they approach becoming as an adult. Lunch out with JUST you and daughter...at a nicer place you would never dream of taking the 2 yr old. And hire a babysitter occasionally so you get that 1:1 with the older kids and/or husband. If the babysitter cost blows the budget... there are free things in nearly every community you can spend 2 hrs doing. Fix a nice lunch at home for the two of you...but still have a sitter take the 2 yr old to the park!!! But do it. When they see you taking the time and seeing how positively you benefit from it...they are likely to understand and try as well.

But you DO get to drive the respect bus...they're the passengers. Actually it is probably your job...(You know... the one you're not paid enough for!!!)

I hope you take this in a positive light. If you can not get mental organization to your day you are going to continue to struggle. Every person has daily challenges. Some days the obstacles are more and bigger than others...but every single person on this forum has "stuff" to deal with Almost every day. The difference over the long haul is how it's done...not that it's easier. Over the long term, we control how we react to stress, food, people and whatever life throws our way. And many days..it is not easy.

We are all rooting for you. You've got the keys though...
    65X65 =I was going to reply after shortening your quote for space, but then I decided the more times your advice is repeated, the better it will be!

Your wisdom, particularly about Mom and children. First and critical for me is finding a quiet and firm way to let children know that they are pushing the limit. You are so wise and I wish I had found a way to head them off at the pass before it escalated into something no one wants to deal with.

Secondly, the issue of my/our time being more important than that of the children was something I never learned and still struggle with to this day. I grew up in a family that used the rules you mention and it was great experience. However, I when I married at 35 for the first time with a stepdaughter, nothing seemed to go that way. We struggled to have children and two high risk pregnancies, one child with cerebral palsy and four miscarriages made me treasure my kids beyond belief and I lost my way. Did not get any support whatsoever from DH in regards to some of the above.

Concluding - all of us need to read and reflect on what you wrote, very seriously. I did not get to my high weight because I was taking care myself - I was too busy pandering to children and spouse. Bad habit for all of us.

The blessing is that I ended up with great children by the grace of God. They have begun to reach the point in life where they come out and thank me for all I did for them. What they do not know is that there were more ways to handle things that would have given them an early understanding of themselves, me, and life,
  • Quote: Hello all!
    Happy Friday!
    That is so wonderful. I know you and I started the program right at the same time and I've followed your progress along with my own. Such a great feeling - be proud!!
  • 65X65, thanks for such amazing words of wisdom. I don't have children, but I think most if not all of those rules can apply to everyone - especially 1 & 2!
  • Quote: I'm gonna buy a full spectrum light bulb to put in a desk lamp at work. Hoping that will help, too. So cold & dreary!
    I love the full spectrum bulbs. I also have a small table light that I love it is made by VERILUX and is called the Happy Light!

Back on track today