IP Daily Chat

You're on Page 5 of 6
Go to
  • They were delicious, I didn't see the advice about cutting them the same size, so some of the smaller pieces burned and some of the bigger ones weren't crispy but they were all good! I bought the smallest turnip I could find but won't do that next time. Does anyone prefer rutabaga fries over the turnip? The turnip looked less scary to me than the rutabagas lol
  • Quote: Lesson learned: when you're on a diet that requires you to drink large quantities of water, do not buy pants that have a hook and eye closure, a button, a zipper and a belt with a 2 loop thing... It makes for interesting "dance moves" in the bathroom stall

Jo
    This had me laughing so hard cuz I have DONE that dance!

Just starting my 4th week and I made my husband hide the scale. I am a daily weigher and it finally got to be too frustrating. My weight loss this past week was 2.4 which is great but I can't help but think I did something "wrong" or it would have been higher. Time to change my negative thoughts but it's hard!!
  • I had rutabaga fries for dinner tonight, I just love them & so does hubby.

Had to laugh at the poster with the hook & eye, button, zipper, etc. I have done that

Have a great night and keep warm.
  • Quote: Thanks for the words of wisdom. I needed some. I don't want to leave the program...just wish the reward would come faster. Do you mind me asking how long it took you on phase 1? You look great and are an inspiration.
    Vippysue...trust me...your day will come! If anyone had told me last New Year's Eve I'd be wearing skinny black pants and a glitzy gold turtleneck this year...I'd have teared up, and sworn at them under my breath for making fun of me and my dreams.

I began reading about IP , lurked 3FCs forums and went for the intro session on Dec 10 of 2012 but started cutting back carbs prior to the Christmas Holiday (of 2012 ... using some EAS drinks at lunch or breakfast) and on Jan 10th of last year began 100% IP. My goal was to lose 65 lbs by August 26th (my 65th B-day) and I hit it...in fact was 0.5 lbs under...on 8/19/2013! It was an amazing journey..average was losing 2.8 lbs /week for about 5 months. After that it slowed a bit, and was erratic with a week or so of 3lb losses and mostly around 1.5 lbs a week..and finally in August those last 5 lbs came of ever so painfully slow! It took being on board 100%... and not deciding to deviate. In fact I was afraid to start adding food once it was time, but that is normal. I am gluten free, have been for 7 years so that makes it easier for me now I think. Not looking to figure out how much bread or noodles or cookies my metabolism can handle. By choice I am limiting my GF starches and instead get most of my carbs from vegetable/high fiber foods. Added nuts and berries to my day...but I am not a fan of juice or a piece of fruit that is nearly 10% of my daily calorie allowance. My age and height have given me some sobering realities to deal with..being older and smaller...my caloric needs are less. My BMR is not going to allow me to increase my caloric load by more than about 400 calories over what IP daily intake is! All together probably lost 70-75 lbs because I am not sure what I weighed/lost prior to Jan 10 IP start. I was afraid to get on a scale. I was 187 at one point and I know that because when I went for a dexascan in April...they had my prior weight...and were alarmed I'd lost a lot of weight! I assured them my Dr was aware, and it was all good. They noted it on the report though, and the same thing happened again when I had a virtual colonoscopy in July....the radiologist noted" significant decrease in adipose tissue and body fat" since the last scan on the final report! LOVED it!

I began exercising the first week in April. I do circuit training at an all women's fitness center 3 days a week..(45-60 min circuit) and do about the same amount of time on cardio the alternating 3 days. I usually go first thing in the AM and am home by 8:15. Then rest on Sunday...read the paper and drink coffee in my jammies in the winter...sit out on the porch in the summer and enjoy NOT doing it that day as much as I have learned to enjoy it the other 6 days. It's important to start getting in the habit before you have too many other choices to make when you transition. When you have adjusted to the IP protocol..it is OK to exercise at a low-moderate intensity. You are not to train for the Olympics! Many use the early advisement of IP NOT to exercise until your body adjusts as permission not to have to exercise the entire time you are on P1. That is NOT what is really encouraged. The sooner you start thinking about your necessary lifestyle changes and begin to implement them, the more likely you will be successful.

Wish you the best...it is a very do-able task. Commit yourself to the process and do not be afraid to put your goals first. Others should understand and support you..and if they do not, you need to let it roll off you. It is the year of you! GO FOR IT!!DO IT! Next year at this time you will be a new person. You are already on your way. One more thing...start to scope out the consignment shops...and treat yourself to clothes that fit on the way down. Do not wear big clothes as your body starts to shrink. You will find you need to reinvent your fashion self. It is fun...and you deserve it! Keep us posted on your progress...you can do this!!
  • Quote: They were delicious, I didn't see the advice about cutting them the same size, so some of the smaller pieces burned and some of the bigger ones weren't crispy but they were all good! I bought the smallest turnip I could find but won't do that next time. Does anyone prefer rutabaga fries over the turnip? The turnip looked less scary to me than the rutabagas lol
    I TOTALLY prefer Rutabaga over turnip! To me, Turnips are bitter and Rutabaga more mild.

Rutabaga - often called "Wax Turnips" look way scarier than they are. A good peeler will go right around the outside wax/skin and take it off easily. Use a good sharp knife and some muscle to cut in half then work with the smaller halves to cut down to size. I usually look for a large softball size and share with hubby. I don't get the larger ones because as an occasional veggie I usually only have once a week. Sometimes I can,t find a small one so only peel half and store in a ziplock in the fridge. Keeps nicely.

YUMMMMMMM!
  • Does anyone have a gefu spiral slicer? I'm wanting to get one to make zucchini "noodles" but saw mixed reviews on it.
    You have the most inspirational story I have heard yet! Reading it brought tears to my eyes! I think we have all been through the ups and downs that you describe but your words brought the pride to life for me! I look forward to next year at this time and will look back at this moment and remember when. Thanks again for your words of wisdom for all us newbies!
  • Quote: Does anyone have a gefu spiral slicer? I'm wanting to get one to make zucchini "noodles" but saw mixed reviews on it.
    I have one and I'm not a fan. Besides the core, it leaves a good inch or so cone on the end that can't be spiraled. I came across something similar, but more versatile, for the same price on Amazon. I feel like there's less waste and my wrist doesn't bother me after using it like the gefu. Here's the link... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Quote: I have one and I'm not a fan. Besides the core, it leaves a good inch or so cone on the end that can't be spiraled. I came across something similar, but more versatile, for the same price on Amazon. I feel like there's less waste and my wrist doesn't bother me after using it like the gefu. Here's the link... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Just watched a video on YouTube, that looks way easier! And I like that you can fit more vegetables in it like onions! Thanks!
  • Hello Fellow IP'ers!
    I weighed in this morning and lost 3 more pounds! I was shocked since I had a big number last week. The weekend was tough since it was my mom's birthday party! They had Italian catered! I did not touch the pasta, instead I went for the antipasto salad. The dressing was on the side, which was great! I picked off all the cheese, and just had a teeny bit of the Fat-free Italian dressing. It may not have been 100% IP approved, but I didn't have a protein shake and all went well.
    PLUS.... my Denver Broncos are going to Superbowl!!!! HOLY MOLY! My hubby thinks we should have a slight cheat day, but I don't want it to set me back too much! My mini goal is to get to 20 lbs (7 more in the next 2 weeks) and then I'll allow myself a cheat. Hmmm...
  • Great Find
    Quote: Morning! So I thought I'd share a discovery I made this weekend. My mom asked me to pick up a special brand of pickles from our local health food store. (Have no fear, they sell them at Whole Foods which is opening here this summer!) Anyway, the brand is called Bubbies and they have LIVE PROBIOTICS in their pickles! They don't use vinegar. They're so delicious, I highly recommend eating one after lunch and dinner. Or with it. Whatever you prefer. Because they have the probiotics, it'll help with digestion and if you have the Big C problem, should help with that as well. My mom said she has been more regular since eating these twice a day. That may just be here but it's worth a shot! I had to hide the jar from myself for fear of eating it all yesterday! Here's their website.

http://www.bubbies.com/prod_kosher_dills.shtml
    Can't wait to try these; their website is fun!

I'm curious, how does everyone incorporate pickles into their mesls. I can't imagine eating 2 cups at a time...
  • 65x65...Loved your experience! Thank you for taking the time to share.
    I will draw from it regularly!
  • Quote: Can't wait to try these; their website is fun!

I'm curious, how does everyone incorporate pickles into their mesls. I can't imagine eating 2 cups at a time...
    YUM - thanks for posting about these pickles. Never heard of them and now I can't wait to try.

My thought about eating lots of pickles is slow eating while at work, like a snack at lunch time and beyond. You could eat a cup, and a cup of something other veggie…

Boarshead makes a good pickle too but I need to check out the label to see if it's IP a protocol.
  • My coach gave me a weeks worth of samples of a product called Natural Calm Magnesium Citrate Powder. Has anyone tried this? I take the calcium/magnesium supplement every day as the IP protocol instructs but I have a history of insomnia/anxiety/pms etc and this supplement might help. Apparently it helps with the big C too.
  • Quote: I have one and I'm not a fan. Besides the core, it leaves a good inch or so cone on the end that can't be spiraled. I came across something similar, but more versatile, for the same price on Amazon. I feel like there's less waste and my wrist doesn't bother me after using it like the gefu. Here's the link... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I have this and I love it.