Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #91  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
One large cauliflower, chop it into chunks and put it in the microwave for 5 minutes or until it is soft, then blend it in a food processor with two cloves of garlic until it has the texture of mashed potatoes. Add two eggs and seasoning, I used a bit of sea salt and chopped fresh basil. Spread onto a cookie sheet that either has parchment paper on it or some olive oil, I did the olive oil and it wasn't super crispy, so next time I'm going to use parchment paper. The thickness should be about half an inch. Bake for fifteen minutes at 450 degrees then take it out and put your toppings on and bake for another ten minutes!
This sounds super! Thanks for sharing
Old 01-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Susie: I have used Stevia in place of sugar in savory recipes however I found you don't need all that much.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #93  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Has anyone made a recipe that called for sugar but replaced it with sweetener? I am craving German cucumber salad which I have WF mayo and everything else is Ip compliant except sugar. If not I can make it without but it will just be a bit tangy.
Stevia is a good replacement for sugar in a recipe like this.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #94  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
Susie: I have used Stevia in place of sugar in savory recipes however I found you don't need all that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
Stevia is a good replacement for sugar in a recipe like this.
Is there a ratio to use? I think the recipe calls for a spoon of sugar.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #95  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

It's guess work for me (like a lot of my cooking!)

The stevia container itself might give some help with ratios. It is quite sweet so you won't need to much.

10 drops might very well do it or an 1/8 teaspoon if using powdered.

Last edited by Annik; 01-12-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #96  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
It's guess work for me (like a lot of my cooking!)

The stevia container itself might give some help with ratios. It is quite sweet so you won't need to much.

10 drops might very well do it or an 1/8 teaspoon if using powdered.
Thanks, I will grab some tomorrow and test it out!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #97  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Had a challenge today I thought I'd share…

I went to visit my grandma who lives essentially in the middle of nowhere… my mom wanted to take her out to lunch. We finally found a decent place, but it was a brunch buffet with all sorts of delicious-looking stuff. I literally almost had a tantrum when we first got there because a) I was starving and b) I knew I couldn't eat most of it.

But while I walked through a few times seething and feeling sorry for myself, I realized there was a delicious looking carving station. So I had a delicious lunch of roast beef and pork and a yummy cucumber and tomato salad with olive oil. There was a lot of stuff I would have loved to try but I told myself it's really time to get serious this time, and I need to stick with this for at least 5 months and not give up in the first week (I tell myself 5 months although it will definitely be more, for some reason that's the maximum amount of time that doesn't seem completely overwhelming to me!)

The best part was leaving not feeling like someone had to roll me out of the place. I'm not going to lie, it was tough being there and not getting up and pigging out on everything that looked good. But I know it isn't worth it and I felt better for the rest of the day, not like I needed to take a nap and get it out of my system.

My WI is tomorrow and I'm hoping the sodium from the meal doesn't totally discourage me, but I know I did my best.

Last edited by djs06; 01-12-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #98  

Quote:
Has anyone made a recipe that called for sugar but replaced it with sweetener? I am craving German cucumber salad which I have WF mayo and everything else is Ip compliant except sugar. If not I can make it without but it will just be a bit tangy.
Yes… splenda measures cup for cup which makes it easy! It won't be 'quite the same' but I find that I don't mind it in recipes at all. I used to do half sugar half splenda just as a habit (before IP/dieting).
Old 01-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #99  
maintaining since 9/2013

Way to go djs! Talk about NSV! Good luck with the WI.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Djs06- congratulations! Staying OP in trying circumstances is a fantastic nsv especially in the first week.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #101  

Height: 5 '6

djs time to pat yourself on the back! I have many company dinners to go to and the menu is always amazing! It feels sooo good when I get home knowing that I just had some meat and vegis.... even if I get questionable looks from others. Good on you!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
Had a challenge today I thought I'd share…

I went to visit my grandma who lives essentially in the middle of nowhere… my mom wanted to take her out to lunch. We finally found a decent place, but it was a brunch buffet with all sorts of delicious-looking stuff. I literally almost had a tantrum when we first got there because a) I was starving and b) I knew I couldn't eat most of it.

But while I walked through a few times seething and feeling sorry for myself, I realized there was a delicious looking carving station. So I had a delicious lunch of roast beef and pork and a yummy cucumber and tomato salad with olive oil. There was a lot of stuff I would have loved to try but I told myself it's really time to get serious this time, and I need to stick with this for at least 5 months and not give up in the first week (I tell myself 5 months although it will definitely be more, for some reason that's the maximum amount of time that doesn't seem completely overwhelming to me!)

The best part was leaving not feeling like someone had to roll me out of the place. I'm not going to lie, it was tough being there and not getting up and pigging out on everything that looked good. But I know it isn't worth it and I felt better for the rest of the day, not like I needed to take a nap and get it out of my system.

My WI is tomorrow and I'm hoping the sodium from the meal doesn't totally discourage me, but I know I did my best.
I am soooooo proud of you and the way you handled the above situation. I know that I would not have been able to handle a buffet. I have stayed away because my discipline does not stretch that far.

You must have learned so much after handling that. You now know how strong you are!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #103  

Aww, thanks for your kinds words all!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Quote:
One large cauliflower, chop it into chunks and put it in the microwave for 5 minutes or until it is soft, then blend it in a food processor with two cloves of garlic until it has the texture of mashed potatoes. Add two eggs and seasoning, I used a bit of sea salt and chopped fresh basil. Spread onto a cookie sheet that either has parchment paper on it or some olive oil, I did the olive oil and it wasn't super crispy, so next time I'm going to use parchment paper. The thickness should be about half an inch. Bake for fifteen minutes at 450 degrees then take it out and put your toppings on and bake for another ten minutes!
Sounds delicious, I'm going to try later this week -thanks for the recipe
Old 01-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #105  
Started IP 12/26/13

S/C/G: 205.6/171.2/145

Height: 5'6"

Well, I survived today...for the most part. I chaperoned a "star" to who needed to emcee a benefit concert. Left the house at 8am, got home about 7:30pm. I was rushed out of the house a little this morning (ride arrived early), so didn't get to grab what I wanted to take with me. Ran out the door with a water bottle, a IP bar and a chocolate RTD.

We arrived at the theatre and got her settled into her dressing room. She was hungry, so we went to the green room. Tables and tables of donuts, croissants, muffins, pastries, and lots of fruit. Okay...here I go. Made her a plate and then enjoyed my RTD shake.

Later on, they brought in lunch for the performers. BBQ Pork sandwiches, Costco trays of pin wheel sandwiches, Croissant Sandwiches, Nachos, cookies, candy, crackers and cheese. Yikes. Helped her get food again...and I ate my bar. I did grab a couple of slices of deli turkey...it wasn't probably the best choice, but there you go. I drank lots of water throughout the day.

Got home and I was really hungry. Ate a couple of HB eggs and stirfryed some zucchini and mushrooms. I'll have my IP Pudding later.

Overall...I'm proud of how I handled the day. In the past, I would've eaten some of everything there. Today...I made the better choices for myself.

I have a headache and I'm tired...but I'm proud of how I survived.
Closed Thread