Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Sorry to get a little off topic.. (love Nashua nutrition by the way..vanilla crispy treats hit the sweet spot!)

Has anyone bought alternative supplements? And if so, what are your results and what brand are they/where did you buy them?

Heard a horror story from a friend who lost a ton of hair trying to buy her own..so I want to make sure before I run out of my ip supplements.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 206/201/145

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendilly View Post
Are there any alternative bars or other "ready to go" type foods (not drinks) that are unrestricted? I have some trips planned and I think taking bars is going to be the easiest way to get my food in without having to stop and make something. Traveling while on IP is making me nervous as I just don't know how I'll get my veggies in, let alone be able to make the IP food work. I know it's possible and I'll make it work. Just thinking ahead.
Hey Jen, a few more eating out ideas: Subway makes all of their subs into salads. you can go on their website and customize what you would put on as toppings and it will give you all of the nutrition info so you can know exactly what is on plan before you go. I like to get the turkey breast salad with all the veggies and use WF dressing.

also, Panera has a (not so) "secret" protein menu called the Power Menu. You can google it, everything is bread free. Lots of high protein, low carb salads.

hope this helps!

Last edited by Sashadee; 01-18-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #78  
Fat Kimmie

S/C/G: 197.5/189/140

Height: 5'5

I did a ton of reading and research on here last night. Now I have a much better idea of where people post certain topics etc. Copied and pasted a lot onto a word document so I didn't have to go back searching.

On alternatives - how do you figure NET carbs again? I saw a post by scabett1103 but then had a tough time finding it again. She had a great formula laid out in one of her posts.

I have a bunch of stuff ready to order from Nashua. Not worried about my coach. It's simply a matter of economics and I don't think this plan is hard to follow.

A few questions -

1. Pretty much all recommended protein bars will count as the restricted item, right? I understand there are those, based on nutrition facts, that will count as super restricted (2x a week). But just want to make sure.

2. The proti-thin maple brown sugar oatmeal has 10 carbs. Isn't that considered restricted? I think I've seen posts on here about it being non-restricted so wanted to clarify.

3. Is there anything on the market similar to the ready made mango smoothie? That I do enjoy very much.

Thanks

Last edited by Kimmie in AZ; 01-19-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #79  

S/C/G: IP Restart: 181.2/175.6/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie in AZ View Post
I did a ton of reading and research on here last night. Now I have a much better idea of where people post certain topics etc. Copied and pasted a lot onto a word document so I didn't have to go back searching.

On alternatives - how do you figure NET carbs again? I saw a post by scabett1103 but then had a tough time finding it again. She had a great formula laid out in one of her posts.

I have a bunch of stuff ready to order from Nashua. Not worried about my coach. It's simply a matter of economics and I don't think this plan is hard to follow.

A few questions -

1. Pretty much all recommended protein bars will count as the restricted item, right? I understand there are those, based on nutrition facts, that will count as super restricted (2x a week). But just want to make sure.

2. The proti-thin maple brown sugar oatmeal has 10 carbs. Isn't that considered restricted? I think I've seen posts on here about it being non-restricted so wanted to clarify.

3. Is there anything on the market similar to the ready made mango smoothie? That I do enjoy very much.

Thanks
Hey there, I recently made the switch to alternatives and have been loving all the savings from buying less expensive products. I'll try to answer your questions and hopefully some other folks can fill in if I miss something.

-you get net carbs by subtracting grams of fiber from total grams of carbs.

-I have yet to find an unrestricted protein bar (although some of the Quest bars are borderline, I count them as restricted) - it would have to be 8 or less net carbs. Here is a link to some helpful info for choosing alternatives that someone posted a while back: http://www.lamberjules.com/my_makeov...r-weight-loss/

-Not sure about the protithin oatmeal, but I use the Proti Diet Maple Oatmeal and that is unrestricted. Maybe that's the one others were referring to?

-not sure about the mango smoothie - sorry!

Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #80  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpowers View Post
Sorry to get a little off topic.. (love Nashua nutrition by the way..vanilla crispy treats hit the sweet spot!)

Has anyone bought alternative supplements? And if so, what are your results and what brand are they/where did you buy them?

Heard a horror story from a friend who lost a ton of hair trying to buy her own..so I want to make sure before I run out of my ip supplements.
Hey I posted a thread about alternative vitamins last week. Some great suggestions were posted.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #81  
Fat Kimmie

I went shopping today and stopped by Costco. Their premier protein products don't really fit the bill. I didn't buy anything there but wondering are people who do purchase those products splitting them in half?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:

Thanks
ProtiDIET maple oatmeal is unrestricted (YAY!) and very good AND great in muffins!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #83  

Quote:
I went shopping today and stopped by Costco. Their premier protein products don't really fit the bill. I didn't buy anything there but wondering are people who do purchase those products splitting them in half?

They are filling-I either split them in half or consider up to 2/3 of one
one serving. Spliting them makes them even more economical!!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #84  

The box of proti diet maple brown sugar oatmeal has 6 carbs and 1 fiber so 5net carbs
definitely unrestricted.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:31 AM   #85  
Crusin' into a new me

S/C/G: 260/234/160 reboot

Height: 5'5"

Kimmie- I buy the Cytosport whey protein shake mix at Costco. Today in WA, it was $48 and it has 75 servings. But, I do at times only use 1/2 a scoop. It typically lasts me a month to month and 1/2.

I don't buy any of the pure protein products too much sugar and calories.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:52 AM   #86  
Fat Kimmie

In IP, are you required to eat at least one restricted item per day? Or are two non-restricted ok?

Also are you required to eat a snack? Lot's of times I am too full after dinner for a snack.

I've completed my list of items from Nashua. When I went down the list it seems most are 8 carbs or less. I work full-time and tried to pick things I'd like, and that are easy to prepare at work. I like the IP soy nuts but the Proti ones seem really high in fat calories which has me thinking it would be on the super restricted list. They are even higher in fat calories than the protein bars I picked.

Below is what I have chosen. There were a few other things I wanted but they were out of stock. Also - I am very content with minimal variety as long as I like something. In fact I prefer it for breakfast and lunch on work days. My variety happens at dinner.

I'd appreciate any input.

Syntrax Nectar
Proti-thin soy snacks
Weight Loss System Smoothies
Proti-Diet oatmeal
Proti-Diet Liquid - Kiwi/Melon
Proti-Thin Anytime Drink
HealthSmart Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Weight Loss Systems Protein Bars- Restricted
Old 01-20-2014, 01:11 AM   #87  
Crusin' into a new me

S/C/G: 260/234/160 reboot

Height: 5'5"

***Disclaimer - I am not at goal*** (yet...)

My understanding from my hubby, who attends a clinic for IP, is that you aren't required to have ANY restricted items. But, if you do only have one. You are perfectly fine to have two IP alternatives per day that are unrestricted. But, keep in mind you can have 1 restricted and 1 unrestricted...that's typically what my days look like.

The snack is important if you are exercising at all. But, I am only doing light walking at this point and I have skipped my snack from time to time.

I am much like you, very little variety but, it works for my busy work life.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
In IP, are you required to eat at least one restricted item per day? Or are two non-restricted ok?

Also are you required to eat a snack? Lot's of times I am too full after dinner for a snack.

I've completed my list of items from Nashua. When I went down the list it seems most are 8 carbs or less. I work full-time and tried to pick things I'd like, and that are easy to prepare at work. I like the IP soy nuts but the Proti ones seem really high in fat calories which has me thinking it would be on the super restricted list. They are even higher in fat calories than the protein bars I picked.

Below is what I have chosen. There were a few other things I wanted but they were out of stock. Also - I am very content with minimal variety as long as I like something. In fact I prefer it for breakfast and lunch on work days. My variety happens at dinner.
You are not required to have a restricted BUT you ARE REQUIRED to have three packets each day and your 2 cups of veggies - two with lunch and two cups with your 8 oz of protein. (Veggies and meat are measured raw.) plus your water, salt, oil (on food) and vitamins. So I guess therefore you are required to have a "snack" at some point each day. It does NOT have to be after dinner.

You can break up your veggies (I sometimes have part at breakfast in my eggs; others put them in shakes blended with ice.) NOTE that some coaches "require" you to eat your veggies at the same time as your packets/protein, others are fine letting you split them apart so for example have your salad/veg at noon and a packet at two.

The program is designed to allow for the cal/carb/fat content of one restricted each day. You are already taking in very limited amounts and restricteds are meant to be part of the total. They are also designed to give that satisfaction of sweet or salty/crunchy so your cravings for these type of foods are satisfied. Some people think they loose a little better without using a restricted - others do not find a difference.

Last edited by JLUS; 01-20-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #89  

The IP protocol calls for 3 packets/products per day. One if wich can be restricted. So, if you're using alternative products, you still use three per day, one of which can be restricted.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/150

Has anyone tried the protidiet jello type products? I like the IP one but would like a review before I invest in an alternative.
Closed Thread