Old 12-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #1  

Default Exercie + Muscle Gain/thigh Expansion Question!

Hi all,
I'm on phase one, in my second week, and having tremendous success with the program. out of a fear of both losing my life long desire to exercise every day, combined with a feat that all of the weight I'm losing (4.8 lbs in 9 days) is just water, and will soon slow down dramatically, I have asked my coach about exercising.
I'm a marathon runner. First question: are there other marathoners who are on IP? And do you find the food plan successful in between training for races (I realize I am not getting enough cals or glycogen to train or do a long run). My coach mentioned she doesn't work with a lot of runners.
My second question: Is it possible that exercising while on IP phase one will slow down my weight loss because of gaining muscle from weight training sessions more rapidly (or with less fat so it appears quicker)? My coach mentioned something about gaining thigh circumfrence, and when I went in to get measured today (by the nurse), I was told I didn't lose any inches around my thighs. It could be just too soon to be losing inches there (I don't have much weight to lose - I'm 11 lbs from my goal), so it's possibly just that.
I would love to hear feedback from folks who have exercised while on IP Phase one and were successful or unsuccessful in this experiment, or from anyone who has data as to why it isn't recommended (other than taking in less calories, and being in ketosis which gives a person the feeling of less energy to burn).
Am I making any sense?
Thanks in advance for any feedback you have!
Steph
stephyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

I started at the end of October. My inches loss was faster than my weight loss at first and the coach said it was probably because I have a lot of muscle from working out and my diet before probably did not contain enough protein to sustain it(it did not).

I swim, and lift weights regularly. In order to accommodate the program, I have taken down the intensity and stuck with more endurance based exercises. In November, my mileage did not go down(17 miles) but my intensity did, not any sprints. As far as weights, I have stuck with lighter weights, the highest I have been using is 15-20 pounds for the back muscles(25 is usually the norm for my rows and such).

The first few weeks of IP I could tell that ramping down is a must, however, as my body has adjusted to burning ketones, I have been able to do a little more. I listen to my body, and on days that I am tired, I rest. Of course, I am 52 with arthritic hips that need replaced( the main reason to get the weight off using anti inflammatory diet), so needing a rest day is expected.

I actually feel stronger now. Full body push-ups are once again easier, perhaps from losing 40 pounds(some on my own before IP), but I think the strength has not been lost from doing less.

I am averaging about 3 pounds a week, on my home scale just dropped into the 140's(Merry Christmas), and have dropped into size 6 in clothes, so this is working for me, combining the diet and exercise. Just listen to your body.

Last edited by drd1961; 12-24-2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: add to it.
drd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #3  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

being only 11 pounds away from your goal (and already (it sounds) being in really good physical shape (being a marathon runner)) are you expecting to lose much circumference from your thigh?

I lost 77 pounds so far and a bit over 12" from my waistline ... I am guessing my thigh might have sucked in 2 or 3" max (and thats after dropping 77 lbs)

Just doing a quick ratio, it seems to me like the most you could possibly lose off your thigh dropping 11 pounds would be maybe 1/2 " max ... and that's only if you have some fat on your thigh to lose?

I would be curious to see a photo of you (just to see how thin and toned you look right now) ...

BTW ... kudos to you for the marathon running ... My hat is off to you!! I have always really admired marathoners.

Also, yes, I exercised the ENTIRE TIME I've been on Phase 1 ... I ignored IP's edict to not exercise for the first few weeks and it didn't seem to have any sort of negative impact. The first month I lost 26 pounds.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 12-24-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #4  

Stephyank
For perspective
In the same time period I lost 3 inches off my hips, I lost .25 off the one thigh that was measured (so presumably .25 off the other, as well)
That was from early March until late May.
I just picked one section of my tracker to check for you but the thighs and arms are smaller and won't drop inches as quickly. It seems like a passive-aggressive way for your coach to attempt to bully you into not exercising. If exercise is working for you (since you were doing it pre-IP) I'd ignore the coach on this one. Remember, most IP coaches are only as good as their minimal training. Some DO know more than others because they have training from more sources than just IP.

Last edited by lisa32989; 12-24-2013 at 09:49 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #5  

thank you all so much! this is very helpful.
I didn't know how much it would be expected to lose around the thigh. my legs are very in shape, and I am in no way concerned about losing inches around my thigh. Just got a little scared by what my coach said! Thanks - I'll continue to exercise, but keep the weights minimal and the cardio light as well, for now.
stephyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #6  

My legs are in good shape, not runner shape, but weight lifting, cycling swimming shape and I have dropped a lot of inches. Just last week when I did not lose any weight, I lost .75 on the thigh. So it depends on where your fat is. I also do not lose inches evenly. One week I dropped massive amounts on my thighs(was the week my size 10 pants could be removed without unbuttoning), but nothing on the waist. The next week I lost over 1.5 on the waist, but nothing on the thigh. I feel like one of those cartoons that gets stuffed into something and different parts shift.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephyank View Post
Hi all,
I'm on phase one, in my second week, and having tremendous success with the program. out of a fear of both losing my life long desire to exercise every day, combined with a feat that all of the weight I'm losing (4.8 lbs in 9 days) is just water, and will soon slow down dramatically, I have asked my coach about exercising.
I'm a marathon runner. First question: are there other marathoners who are on IP? And do you find the food plan successful in between training for races (I realize I am not getting enough cals or glycogen to train or do a long run). My coach mentioned she doesn't work with a lot of runners.
My second question: Is it possible that exercising while on IP phase one will slow down my weight loss because of gaining muscle from weight training sessions more rapidly (or with less fat so it appears quicker)? My coach mentioned something about gaining thigh circumfrence, and when I went in to get measured today (by the nurse), I was told I didn't lose any inches around my thighs. It could be just too soon to be losing inches there (I don't have much weight to lose - I'm 11 lbs from my goal), so it's possibly just that.
I would love to hear feedback from folks who have exercised while on IP Phase one and were successful or unsuccessful in this experiment, or from anyone who has data as to why it isn't recommended (other than taking in less calories, and being in ketosis which gives a person the feeling of less energy to burn).
Am I making any sense?
Thanks in advance for any feedback you have!
Steph
Hi.. Merry Christmas all..

Also, I exercised through most of my wt loss journey.
The key for me was to combine resistance and weight circuit training alternating days with moderate cardio.(I have consistently exercised moderately 6 days/week since early April) Began this regimen at the suggestion of my IP coach after losing the first 25 pounds and was almost 3 months into the program at that time. They actually suggested all their clients should exercise beginning in the 2 or 3 month. Consideration for me was to improve muscle tone while losing more pounds and I'm not at all disappointed in my end result or the time it took to reach goal! At my age I was not expecting to lose as fast as some report here.....was really more worried about baggy saggy skin, and was expecting my age and size to have a more negative effect. It took me about 7.5 months to lose the pounds and I've continued to lose inches. Very pleased with the way/where my body lost fat and the way clothes fit now. Still losing inches!!
Still exercising... Which is important. It has to be a lifelong habit and there is enough to deal with during phase off and maintenance. I suggest you start making the change and getting your mind wrapped around the need to ADD daily exercise if you have never done it. It matters more than anything in sustaining your weight loss, and strengthening your bones, muscles and cardio system for the future.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

You cannot expect to build much muscle on such a diet. If you do strength training, you will be able to prevent muscle loss. 30 min a day is plenty for that and this is what I did before, during, and after. It helps loosing inches even if it never really moved the scale. If you have muscular thighs, you probably do not really want to loose much there.

It always amazes me how IP coaches will try just about anything to ramp up their clients losses, even if it may damage their health long-term. And doing a lot of intense exercise on IP will expose you to risk. So, follow your gut feeling and try to see the big picture here. 11 lbs is not much to loose. You can then do all the exercise you want. Particularly marathon training will require more calories than what you get on basic IP.

Volek and Phinney have published a book on low carb and endurance training. You can check it out on Amazon. But keep in mind that they are Atkins people. Therefore what they talk about is low carb/high fat. I think the fat content is very important here. If you want to do an IP style diet (low carb/low fat) in-between marathons, you should probably talk to a doctor who is trained in exercise physiology. It may be better for you to do carb cycling if you have longer breaks between runs. Very low carb for prolonged times can wreck havoc with your hormones, particularly a woman's hormones. I generally would more focus on strength training during marathon breaks. It will automatically keep your fat content in check. If you run on ketones, you will put a lot of stress on your liver. Some people will be fine and others not. I would never go into a diet/exercise regime without reading about it and learning the ins and outs. It is tedious, but it is about your health and it is precious.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
You cannot expect to build much muscle on such a diet. If you do strength training, you will be able to prevent muscle loss. 30 min a day is plenty for that and this is what I did before, during, and after. It helps loosing inches even if it never really moved the scale. If you have muscular thighs, you probably do not really want to loose much there.

It always amazes me how IP coaches will try just about anything to ramp up their clients losses, even if it may damage their health long-term. And doing a lot of intense exercise on IP will expose you to risk. So, follow your gut feeling and try to see the big picture here. 11 lbs is not much to loose. You can then do all the exercise you want. Particularly marathon training will require more calories than what you get on basic IP.

Volek and Phinney have published a book on low carb and endurance training. You can check it out on Amazon. But keep in mind that they are Atkins people. Therefore what they talk about is low carb/high fat. I think the fat content is very important here. If you want to do an IP style diet (low carb/low fat) in-between marathons, you should probably talk to a doctor who is trained in exercise physiology. It may be better for you to do carb cycling if you have longer breaks between runs. Very low carb for prolonged times can wreck havoc with your hormones, particularly a woman's hormones. I generally would more focus on strength training during marathon breaks. It will automatically keep your fat content in check. If you run on ketones, you will put a lot of stress on your liver. Some people will be fine and others not. I would never go into a diet/exercise regime without reading about it and learning the ins and outs. It is tedious, but it is about your health and it is precious.
The 40 minute resistance circuit and 30 or so min of cardio were pretty low impact. Each to his own in how one gets "getting exercise" into your life. I have read far and away too many tales, esp on this site, of people finishing the diet and struggling with incorporating exercise. I'm not advocating strenuous.. Which is defined differently for each individual. Exercise is a factor that can pose a huge hurdle. Waiting to "Start" until after weightless is done is embraced by "many" who will also never get in the habit of daily exercise. Those "many" will also need to diet again I advocate getting in the habit sooner rather than later. One does not need to be trying to build muscle... One does need to form new habits or be OK with the real possibility of regaining most of the weight lost. Diet alone is a tough go to keep weight down as the years roll by. Anyone here getting any younger? Light exercise is a good idea.. But work with your dr and the right trainer who understands your diet. Not exercising until you are done is worse than not trying to incorporate a good new habit. Old bad habits do not die easily.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
The 40 minute resistance circuit and 30 or so min of cardio were pretty low impact. Each to his own in how one gets "getting exercise" into your life. I have read far and away too many tales, esp on this site, of people finishing the diet and struggling with incorporating exercise. I'm not advocating strenuous.. Which is defined differently for each individual. Exercise is a factor that can pose a huge hurdle. Waiting to "Start" until after weightless is done is embraced by "many" who will also never get in the habit of daily exercise. Those "many" will also need to diet again I advocate getting in the habit sooner rather than later. One does not need to be trying to build muscle... One does need to form new habits or be OK with the real possibility of regaining most of the weight lost. Diet alone is a tough go to keep weight down as the years roll by. Anyone here getting any younger? Light exercise is a good idea.. But work with your dr and the right trainer who understands your diet. Not exercising until you are done is worse than not trying to incorporate a good new habit. Old bad habits do not die easily.
I very much agree with this.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
I actually started exercising 6 months before going onto any diet. I also continued doing it on IP, though I did eat more accordingly. IP being very low calories and ketogenic, one has to be aware of the risks associated with such a diet, particularly if one does not eat extra. I agree that mild strength training is fine. But marathon training is a bit different. There seems to be the idea that this diet is a race and that the person who does not loose 5 lbs a week is a failure or a cheater. There is also the idea that IP cannot do any wrong. And I disagree with both of those ideas.

Indeed, IP killed my hormonal balance. No matter how little I eat now, there is no more weight loss. At least, I find it quite effortless to maintain. I think exercise is important. But having the right mindset is even more so.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote