Emergency Trip - Running out of food

• Hi IP friends. We received some very bad news about my mother in law last night nad have gotten on the road to travel 1200+ miles to her. I've got 4 bars and 4 packets with me and that's it. I was going to my doctor on Monday to get my weekly stock but obviously I can't now.

If anyone has ideas about how I can stay OP maybe with alternatives, I would be so grateful. I'll have plenty of places like WalMart, Target, maybe GNC's along the way and in the city we will be in. I know I'll be gone for at least a full week then have to travel to a business trip for another full week again with no chance to get to my doctor.

I was thinking about phasing off P1 in three weeks.

Thanks in advance, everyone.
  • A friend of mine found themselves traveling unexpectedly and they looked up an IP dealer who sold them enough food to tide them over.

I don't know anything about alternatives... sorry!
  • Grab some EAS drinks from Walmart or target. Or if you are near a costco or SAMs you can buy in a 24 pack case. That would get u thru he two weeks. I have them twice a day. I order my restricteds from Nashua so I'm no help there.
  • I would go into the places you mentioned and stock up on bars. If you can find Quest bars at GNC they are a good choice, very high in fibre and good nutritional numbers. If you can find these flavors they are close to phase 1; banana nut, double chocolate chunk and strawberry cheesecake.

Lots of people are leary of the bars on IP but ones with the right nutrition numbers are extremely helpful when travelling, far better than anything you try to work out numbers for when you have to stop to eat.

If you can go to Costco a very handy choice are the Premier Nutrition Drinks. They are usually in the pharmacy section. They are higher in protein than IP drinks but I used them all through phase 1 and they were great. The extra protein would likely be helpful with the stress you are going through.

Some people like the muscle milk light drinks from Costco but I found they made me hungrier than when I had nothing.

So sorry for the sad time your family is going through.

Pat
  • Thank you so much for the help! I'm feeling a bit relieved that there are some options out there. This is a very stressful time, indeed.
  • You can also buy a box of pure protein and detour bars sold at Costco.. And replace a meal with eggs/egg whites!
  • Quote: Grab some EAS drinks from Walmart or target. Or if you are near a costco or SAMs you can buy in a 24 pack case. That would get u thru he two weeks. I have them twice a day. I order my restricteds from Nashua so I'm no help there.
    fabulous answer !!!
  • Put an order in to nashua delivered to your mother's place. Work with what walmart has until you are there.
  • I am on my phone and can't get super detailed, but I can give you a bunch of suggestions for alternatives from Nashua nutrition if you PM me. They ship FAST so if you order this weekend I bet they will ship Monday and you would have tues or wed enough food for your two weeks!!

EAS and Premier are great options but personally I like more variety than just shakes for a long stretch. And with cold weather I don't always want a cold drink. (Also something warm to eat feels more comforting during stressful situations! Like a warm HUG!)

Also remember one egg and two egg whites = an IP omelette pack so that is an easy alternative for any meal!

But feel free to PM for ideas if you want to try Nashua.

Also with the stress of the situation you don't need to spend a lot of worry on food. You could also go to P2 and only have to find an alternative for one meal and one snack! Probably will NOT slow you down much if at all that way.

Best wishes for your travels...
  • I am not on IP.

But there is no way you could go wrong with canned fish. Ever.
  • Where are you? Are there IP clinics around? Seems like they are everywhere.
    Maybe one of them will help you out. Wishing you strength as you deal with this situation and hoping your Mother-in-law improves.
  • Quote: Hi IP friends. We received some very bad news about my mother in law last night nad have gotten on the road to travel 1200+ miles to her. I've got 4 bars and 4 packets with me and that's it. I was going to my doctor on Monday to get my weekly stock but obviously I can't now.

If anyone has ideas about how I can stay OP maybe with alternatives, I would be so grateful. I'll have plenty of places like WalMart, Target, maybe GNC's along the way and in the city we will be in. I know I'll be gone for at least a full week then have to travel to a business trip for another full week again with no chance to get to my doctor.

I was thinking about phasing off P1 in three weeks.

Thanks in advance, everyone.
    I feel for you and have been to heaven and **** in the course of my IP life with issues and emergencies concerning my aging parents. No details.. It does not matter.

2-3 Egg white omelettes filled with select veggies for breakfast.black coffee, tea or water....
    Garden salad for lunch with 2-3 oz canned tuna or grilled chicken or a few shrimp. Keep meals to less than 120 calories. 15-20 G protein and NO sugar.. No carbs. Ask for sugar free guten free prep and extra select raw veggies on the side to get your 2 C.
    Dinner.. Same as lunch but increase protein and be sure to order steamed veggies for your additional 2 c veggies. Get to walmart and use an EAS shake or one of the bars mentioned for a snack or restricted...I used HB eggs and shakes because I need to stay GF. I lost 70 pounds while also losing a parent within the last year.

Not ideal... But close. Good luck and I sincerely hope your crisis is a temporary situation.
    We are still grieving at the moment, but I am still on track, and am so very sorry you have this stress. Sending hugs. If you get through this, you will never be able to excuse yourself from not staying true to the choices you CAN make. You are the captain of your own ship.