Old 11-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/173/135

Height: 5".3.5

Default Weight loss S L O W

I have been on plan and absolutely no cheating at all - and I have only lost 16 pounds. Does that seem slow? I see many others on this board that started after me and have already lost twice as much. Does that mean I am doing something wrong or am I just a freak? Its so frustrating and disheartening that I still have SOOO far to go..

My coach doesn't say one thing or another.

Thanks
atblount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #2  
Started IP 1/18/12

S/C/G: 186.5/127/130

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by atblount View Post
I have been on plan and absolutely no cheating at all - and I have only lost 16 pounds. Does that seem slow? I see many others on this board that started after me and have already lost twice as much. Does that mean I am doing something wrong or am I just a freak? Its so frustrating and disheartening that I still have SOOO far to go..

Thanks
How many weeks has it been? Average weight loss is 10lbs a month.
Hockeymom40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeymom40 View Post
How many weeks has it been? Average weight loss is 10lbs a month.

Sept 5, so this is the 11th week.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #4  

I dont understand why it doesn't come off as fast as others. Is it because I am in a perpetual cycle of dieting? I would think most women are in the saem boat. I feel like I get to see some progress then I flatline or my body just rejects losing. I do all the right things and I just feel so deflated. Its very stressing to fail all the time. I do the food journal, drink my water, exercize, get enough sleep.. and I dont cheat.. It should not take a year to lose 40 pounds. Who can afford that?

Last edited by atblount; 11-20-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I think you need to just focus on your own losses. An average of 1.6 lbs is a good average and nothing to complain about. Many people loose faster, sure, but you have to work with your body. You also do not start from 300 lbs. You start from the 170s and your losses will be slower. I think IP wants to make you believe that their diet will magically melt away your pounds. But it is essentially still a caloric deficit at work here. 3500 calories for 1 lb. Ketosis will push the loss in favor of fat loss, but will not change this fact.

You need to have realistic expectations and a 16 lbs loss is not failure, it is an accomplishment. And it actually often does take even more than a year to loose 40 lbs. IP promises something else because they want to make money with it. That is their business model. So, get real and focus on the long-term view. You will actually have a perpetual cycle of dieting is you now get stressed and deflated and start binging. Do you want that? That is the decision you have to make. If you want to break that cycle, you need to stick to your guns and do not compare to others. It is you you need to focus on. Steady wins the race.

Last edited by Lolo70; 11-20-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #6  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

People lose at different rates, depending on a variety of factors. 1.5 pounds per week is not unreasonable. I lost only about 2 pounds per week, and it was very slow at the end. Even so, you should get to goal in a total of about 27 weeks based on what you've posted (vs. 52).
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:

Thanks
I just posted basically the SAME exact thing on another board today. I feel your pain. I just started my 5th week, and I've only lost 12 pounds. The first week was great (7.5) but since then 1.6, 1.9, 1.3. It seems that with any other diet I've been on it was quicker than that & yes, I've been on many. It makes sense to me that there has to be a special combination of foods, or eating more or less of something should make us lose faster. I get the 'averages' thing, but I also see people in my same range height & weight still losing 3 or more pounds a week.

Last edited by dmccoy; 11-20-2013 at 08:26 PM.
dmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/180/160

Height: 5'7

If you are exercising, are you using an extra IP pack? I found that I had to actually take in more to jump start my loss when I started exercising.
vanishingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #9  

Height: 5 '6

I had a couple of weeks where my losses slowed down. I read on a thread that even going a little over on the milk can affect your losses. I realized I may be making this mistake so I switched to pre-made vanilla drinks to whiten my tea and coffee and my losses really increased. It can be something little... have you tried going over your reading material again.. possible you're overlooking something?? If not, keep up the work.... maybe your losses will pick up!! Hang in there!!
Hiker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #10  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanishingchick View Post
If you are exercising, are you using an extra IP pack? I found that I had to actually take in more to jump start my loss when I started exercising.
Do you mind me asking how much more you took in. I find I am also adding extra food since I've been exercising more. I am starving at times.

In regards to the OP, You may be holding onto more toxins, or maybe you are just one to lose slower. My friend says the same thing. She doesn't understand it, but also realizes that her 1 to 2 pound loss is normal for her. As long as she is losing all you can do is just stay on plan and accept your losses.

I've been losing pretty slow, but steady and I'm fine with it. If you are doing a lot of weights, then you could have a lot of muscle mass which weighs more than fat. It could slow things down. I believe there is a huge range in how much each person loses each month. Keep it up!

Last edited by Jojo381972; 11-20-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 216/203/180

Height: 5'8"

16 pounds is wonderful! Great job!
vzubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 185/163/130

Height: 5'6

It's funny that you say it should not take a year to lose 40 pounds. I have 33 pounds to lose and I have designated at least a year to lose.

The slower your weight loss, although frustrating, is better for you in the long run. You do plan on keeping it off right? Because the easiest way to put weight on is to lose a lot of weight in a short period of time, causing your body to freak out and eat everything in sight. It happened to me, I lost 25 pounds in 3 months, felt amazing, felt the happiest I've ever felt, and then in the blink of an eye, 2 months later, I was 30 pounds heavier. That was 3 years ago and I still haven't lost that weight. Believe me, you are doing it right! Consider yourself saving time, since you won't gain it back and have to re-do all your hard work.
love4allsizes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #13  

Thank everyone. Maybe I just needed a boost to help me realize that I am "normal" I used to have a personal trainer for over two years - specifically a strength trainer. I built alot of muscle but lost little weight, then I had some health issues and I have not been able to get back into it. Since being on IP I just dont have the energy to work out hard. I feel like I am missing something.. Where is all this abundance of energy your supposed to get? If anything I am more tired. Maybe I am one of those that just lose slower. I have gone the gambit of fad diets (ww, nutra-system, south beach, carb cycling, atkins, etc). I refuse to give up as I think the older I get this will be beneficial for my overall health if I am close to the size I am supposed to be. I just cant see being on Phase 1 for a year or more at the weight I started at. AND to add to that I am spending close to $100 a week on the IP packets. Thats alot of $$, not to mention the mind set it takes to live off of powdered foods for such an extended period of time. I am not one to change things up and add this or change that or create this and that with mixing the packets - to me that is cheating and playing a game with how the system was meant to be used. I added in a bit (and I mean a bit) of extra protein everyday this week to see what happens (like a sliver or two of chicken breast to my lunch salad) just to see if maybe I am in starvation mode. It is possible I am using too much milk, but I only have two cups of coffee per day and cant see how. Maybe I will have to add extra vanilla drinks to the list to use as my creamer. Its just frustrating that its been this long and its only 16 pounds when others have been only shorter periods and have lost 30+ . I want to get as close to 135 as possible - that means an additional 38 pounds - and at this rate it will be this time next year that I might get there. That's too long and I know I will not last on phase 1 for that long. The fee I payed only covered three months of counseling. Its not cheap. I guess I am just frustrated at my body and the resistance its putting up.
Ok, I guess I am done with my pity party.. :-) thanks for listening.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #14  

Height: 5 '6

Quote:
Thank everyone. Maybe I just needed a boost to help me realize that I am "normal" I used to have a personal trainer for over two years - specifically a strength trainer. I built alot of muscle but lost little weight, then I had some health issues and I have not been able to get back into it. Since being on IP I just dont have the energy to work out hard. I feel like I am missing something.. Where is all this abundance of energy your supposed to get? If anything I am more tired. Maybe I am one of those that just lose slower. I have gone the gambit of fad diets (ww, nutra-system, south beach, carb cycling, atkins, etc). I refuse to give up as I think the older I get this will be beneficial for my overall health if I am close to the size I am supposed to be. I just cant see being on Phase 1 for a year or more at the weight I started at. AND to add to that I am spending close to $100 a week on the IP packets. Thats alot of $$, not to mention the mind set it takes to live off of powdered foods for such an extended period of time. I am not one to change things up and add this or change that or create this and that with mixing the packets - to me that is cheating and playing a game with how the system was meant to be used. I added in a bit (and I mean a bit) of extra protein everyday this week to see what happens (like a sliver or two of chicken breast to my lunch salad) just to see if maybe I am in starvation mode. It is possible I am using too much milk, but I only have two cups of coffee per day and cant see how. Maybe I will have to add extra vanilla drinks to the list to use as my creamer. Its just frustrating that its been this long and its only 16 pounds when others have been only shorter periods and have lost 30+ . I want to get as close to 135 as possible - that means an additional 38 pounds - and at this rate it will be this time next year that I might get there. That's too long and I know I will not last on phase 1 for that long. The fee I payed only covered three months of counseling. Its not cheap. I guess I am just frustrated at my body and the resistance its putting up.
Ok, I guess I am done with my pity party.. :-) thanks for listening.

I would be a little frustrated too! It sounds like you are working very hard and I hope you find a way to up the losses even just a bit!! Keep up all your hard work!!!
Hiker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:

Thanks
I understand your frustration. I feel the same way about losing so slow compared to others. It's not jealousy or anything like that is more wondering if you are doing something wrong. I have tried all the suggestions that others have given me on this board, but nothing has worked to speed up my loses. My plan is to be on IP for one year and then trying something else. IP is a great program, but without the incentive of great loses each week, it is very hard to stay committed. I've been on IP for almost 7 months and my average right now is less than 2 pounds per week. I'm not trying to bring you down, but I wanted you to know that there are others out there who lose less than the 2-3 pounds per week "normal" average. The good news is that you are losing weight. If you keep going, you'll be glad you did even if your loses are not as fast as others.
PrettyMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote