Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #211  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

KLDS: You guys can handle the cold weather! Our only rule is if it is in the teens or lower that the kids wearing shorts cannot go outside. Kids are still wearing shorts. I have decided that they simply do not feel the cold like I do. They do not wear coats and walk in t-shirts to come to my classes.

Hoep your maintenance is going well.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #212  
maintaining since 9/2013

Default Sucralose Habit

I am having a tough time getting my water in without Mio, though I use less than before. And, I broke down and ordered some WF Thick n Spicy BBQ sauce. Vitacost delivered it the next day (!) and I wanted to celebrate. I think for now I'll just taper my "methadone" and try to fully kick the habit once I'm more stabilized with protein, carbs, and fats.

So, today my pledge is to enjoy a fun day that consists of a generous helping of rutabaga fries and forego the binge-triggering foods.

I'm interested to hear from other IP maintainers with opinions about or experience with eliminating sucralose from their diet. Thanks!

Last edited by mars735; 01-25-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #213  

S/C/G: IP 140/115/115

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
I am having a tough time getting my water in without Mio, though I use less than before. And, I broke down and ordered some WF Thick n Spicy BBQ sauce. Vitacost delivered it the next day (!) and I wanted to celebrate. I think for now I'll just taper my "methadone" and try to fully kick the habit once I'm more stabilized with protein, carbs, and fats.

So, today my pledge is to enjoy a fun day that consists of a generous helping of rutabaga fries and forego the binge-triggering foods.

I'm interested to hear from other IP maintainers with opinions about or experience with eliminating sucralose from their diet. Thanks!

Hi,
I put slices of lemon and limes in my water. Gave up the Mio last summer.
Also enjoy herbal teas, especially this cold winter!!!
I still have a few pieces of orbit gum a day which I'm trying to stop! Hard though!
I am like 90+% following paleo for my maintenance! working really good for me, just gotta have my gum, urrgh! Lol!!! Red wine here and there too,
But skip my fruit on those days, keeps the sugar/carbs down.
Step by step, one day at a time!

You can do it!!

D
Old 01-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #214  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Maile; had to smile at your shorts comment. It can be way below freezing and some kids still think it is a good idea to wear shorts. Out here on the western prairies schools never close but when it gets to -50C (-59F) the buses don't run. Fortunately the temps don't go down that low most years.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:16 PM   #215  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRegan View Post
Hi,
I put slices of lemon and limes in my water. Gave up the Mio last summer.
Also enjoy herbal teas, especially this cold winter!!!
I still have a few pieces of orbit gum a day which I'm trying to stop! Hard though!
I am like 90+% following paleo for my maintenance! working really good for me, just gotta have my gum, urrgh! Lol!!! Red wine here and there too,
But skip my fruit on those days, keeps the sugar/carbs down.
Step by step, one day at a time!

You can do it!!

D
Thanks for the very helpful suggestions and encouragement, D! Today was the first Saturday since starting P4 in Sept that wasn't an over-the-top fun day. I indulged some, but it was all healthy -- extra Whey protein shake, extra veggie stuffed tofu wraps & chicken.

I'm curious to know why you would think of giving up gum? it sounds like you are maintaining really well.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #216  

S/C/G: IP 140/115/115

Height: 5'1"

Hi mars735,
I guess I just want as much of the fake sweetner out of my diet as possible.
But it does help if I'm having a craving, so I'll most likely still have a few
Pieces here and there, lol! unless I find gum sweetened with raw honey, lol!

D
Old 01-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #217  
maintaining since 9/2013

DRegan, I'm with you re wanting the artificials out of my diet! I'm trying out the gradual approach instead of lurching back and forth. Pre-diet, I used unsweetened almond milk in my coffee, but on P1 used the vanilla shake. I'm finding it easier to add in a little more unsweetened almond milk to the shake each week. It's helped with Mio too--I've cut back instead of cold turkey and it's a lot easier. Honey-sweetened gum---you might have the next great idea there!

Last edited by mars735; 01-26-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #218  
Maile

I admit to using the WF syrup in the morning. One habit I would like to get rid of, but have not as yet. Generally that is the only artificial sweetener I use for the day..except once in awhile a WF salad dressing.

Mars: That unsweetened almond milk is good, but definitely not sweet. I think it is great that you are trying to remove sucralose.

Patns: That is amusing that your schools rarely close and that kids are still wearing shorts. My son is having his first Chicago winter and is freezing. He says it is much colder than the Northwest winters.

dregan: That may be a good idea to cut back on fruit on the wine days..I had not thought of that.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #219  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
dregan: That may be a good idea to cut back on fruit on the wine days..I had not thought of that.
I agree Maile...I have been really limiting even 1 glass of wine in restaurants on a lot of occasions just because I don't want to open a door that has been closed...but TRADING... ...Now that is sensible...and the research does indicate a few glasses a week are beneficial.

Thanks DRegan for sharing that. There are only about 4 carbs in a glass of red wine if I remember correctly...so that would work by counting that in...it's made from grapes and has resveratrol/re: positive cardioprotective affects... AND 1 glass is not considered problematic......right?

....SO it could be the fruit on a "special" day...just not every day!
Old 01-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #220  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Oh how I miss wine! Before starting IP I suffered with severe migraines and wine seemed to be one of my triggers. Since beginning IP I have virtually eliminated migraines. I was down with a pretty bad one I think only once since last May 13th. My strong belief is that I had massive inflammation that triggered migraines. I also think the amount of processed foods I was eating, which includes so many chemicals, preservatives, etc...were at the root of my headaches. I have been extremely fearful of having wine and have only tried once. I did pretty well, but just don't want to tempt fate. eek. I'm a scaredy cat.

It has been terribly cold here this winter. While January and February are generally our coldest months it has been colder than normal. Yesterday was such a blizzard and high winds that most of the state was under a "no travel" advisory. The main interstate and state highways were actually closed over the majority of the state. While we don't usually close schools even at minus 50, we also don't run buses during those times as well. I agree that the kids don't seem to be as affected by the cold. As I get older I seem to be bothered by it more & more. Now that I have lost weight I seem to get chilled more often. It is a welcome change from the hot flashes though!
Old 01-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #221  
IP Start: 05/16/13

S/C/G: 215.8/140.3/145

Height: 5'5"

Just chiming in to say hello to all you lovely peeps! Dak1lls - how it warms up for you soon! SF has been lovely all winter (oddly, so) but that's what you get from a drought. It has messed up our winter completely, no snowboarding really, and - truth be told - I miss the changing seasons a lot. It is meant to rain this Thursday so I am looking forward to that.

In news, I am considering signing up for a 1/2 Ironman/woman triathlon in October. It will require swimming 1.2 miles, cycling 56 miles and running 13.1 miles. I am scared to death to actually sign up though! I have done up to olympic distance prior to IP (.9 mile swim, 25 mile bike, 6.2 mile run), so this would be a bit longer. The event is in October and in my mother's hometown in Wilmington, NC and I would love to be cheered on by my family. We shall see though. Any encouragement would be appreciated!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #222  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita75 View Post
Just chiming in to say hello to all you lovely peeps! Dak1lls - how it warms up for you soon! SF has been lovely all winter (oddly, so) but that's what you get from a drought. It has messed up our winter completely, no snowboarding really, and - truth be told - I miss the changing seasons a lot. It is meant to rain this Thursday so I am looking forward to that.

In news, I am considering signing up for a 1/2 Ironman/woman triathlon in October. It will require swimming 1.2 miles, cycling 56 miles and running 13.1 miles. I am scared to death to actually sign up though! I have done up to olympic distance prior to IP (.9 mile swim, 25 mile bike, 6.2 mile run), so this would be a bit longer. The event is in October and in my mother's hometown in Wilmington, NC and I would love to be cheered on by my family. We shall see though. Any encouragement would be appreciated!
Oh my....as usual you amaze me! You can totally do this! What an inspiration you are to me.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #223  
Maile

Sarita: Go for it. We will cheer you on. You are amazing. Do you have a plan for getting in condition to double your running and biking miles? You are a great inspiration to all of us!
Dak1lls: You have all of my sympathy. I have been hearing about the minus temps and blizzards in North Dakota. I also find that I get colder now that I have lost weight. Thank goodness for layering. I hope that storm passes. I am glad your migraines are better.

65x65: You right..one l glass can be beneficial and not everyday! I am going to make an exception on Superbowl Sunday and have two.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #224  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Hey Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the sympathy. It actually made me feel really good when I read it. I was crying quite a bit (mostly to my mom lol) and I'm relatively back to normal. Today is the last day of antibodics and I can chew gum on that side but only for a few chews. (ha!) It's not done yet though, he only put in medication and I'm back in Feb for the second part. Then a crown after that. I hope to delay the crown until after the baby is born though not sure I should delay the second part because the tooth is weak without proper reinforcement in it.

I'm really digging my fitbit, it really gets me moving to do more if I only have 5 or 7K steps at the end of the day. I don't feel that my minor walking is doing anything for weight maintenance (LOL) but I do feel more in control of my body if I exercise and bonus baby enjoys it as the little nugget moves more right after I'm done 30-60 minutes. It was tough not doing anything when I had tooth pain but 'meh whateva'.

sarita75 That sounds like an awesome challenge!

dregan Good switch with declining fruit for the wine when you have wine. I don't drink very much and I'm allergic to sulphates and well I don't like wine enough to go looking for the sulphate free versions. I do miss my grey goose pear vodka though. Not a lot but miss it when we're out for a supper.

mars I stopped MiO but more because it didn't interest me anymore. I was addicted ADDICTED to lemons in my water! So much so that I realized it probably wasn't helping with acidity in my body and tooth sensitivity. You can get aromatherapy drops that are safe (not for prego ladies) to ingest (just make sure they are safe to ingest!). I used a lot of grapefruit oil in my water during my Phase 1. It's just the oil so it's more a 'fragrant' option but it works for a change. Also, you can get the water infusers at superstore (so I'm told, haven't looked yet) and put some cucumbers or fruit in your water to give it a taste. Just some options, I was drinking a lot of decaf tea for a while there as I was bored of water.

joysh Way to go on your reboot! YAY YOU!!

Have a great day ladies!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #225  
IP Start: 05/16/13

S/C/G: 215.8/140.3/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
Oh my....as usual you amaze me! You can totally do this! What an inspiration you are to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
Sarita: Go for it. We will cheer you on. You are amazing. Do you have a plan for getting in condition to double your running and biking miles? You are a great inspiration to all of us!
I did it! All signed up. 10/25/14 I will be acting a fool and doing a 1/2 Ironman/woman. Woot! As the date approaches I will give you all my race information so you can track online, if you want. As for the plan, I am going to use a coach-made book. I need to get back into the pool and get on my bike. Should be a journey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
Thanks for all the sympathy. It actually made me feel really good when I read it. I was crying quite a bit (mostly to my mom lol) and I'm relatively back to normal. Today is the last day of antibodics and I can chew gum on that side but only for a few chews. (ha!) It's not done yet though, he only put in medication and I'm back in Feb for the second part. Then a crown after that. I hope to delay the crown until after the baby is born though not sure I should delay the second part because the tooth is weak without proper reinforcement in it.
Huhya! Feel better soon. Between pregnancy and tooth issues - that's a lot. Be strong and, when you aren't, it is good to know you have your mom and ... us!
Closed Thread