Maintainers Vol 13

You're on Page 33 of 34
Go to
  • Quote: KCdoe: I thought the best advice I found was to continue eating what you ate in P1, P2, and P3. Then in P4 you add a small amount of carbs like a half a sweet potato.

Here is a sample of my day.
    Bk: 1 cup mixed berries. 1/2-3/4 c nf greek yogurt (depending on my weight), 1-2 T almond butter or 1 0z almonds, and 1low carb Big Valley Waffles. Lately I have dropped the waffles as I am working on up pounds.

Lunch: 2 c spinach or arugula, 2 c veges, 6oz protein, sometimes 2 t salad dressing or lemon juice if I am trying to lose.

Dinner: Unlimited veges: Ethiopian cabbage, Indian String beans, greek red cabbage, Roasted veges including parmesan onion rings or cauliflower made with egg beaters or olive oil,shredded zuchinni noodles, artichokes
    My proteins are Tandoori Chicken, Greek chicken, Ethiopian Berbere shrimp, Mexican carne asada, Fish tacos.

I do not track calories..just cut back when I need to. I counted the calories, proteins, fiber, fat when I moved to P3 breakfasts.
    thank you Malie this was very helpful!!! I copied to the maintenance what are you eating thread I started, Do you blame the "going up in lbs" to the waffles are you doing anything else to cause it? I ask wondering because this looks like a perfect maintenance day to me?
  • Kcdoe: Thanks for your comments. I do not blame the waffles..Instead as you can see I cook ethnic foods.some of which can be higher in fats..such as curries and some of the stir fries. I also found that wine was adding to my weight to staying at the high end of my scale and cut that out for now.
    I have eaten waffles or bread in the am for two years without a problem.

Here is a blog I like..

Something Happened on When the Rest of Us Were Making Excuses

“…You did it—you lost weight and have kept it off. And it was so easy for you.”

A co-worker said this to me today. Initially, I shrugged it off, became embarrassed, but then I realized—she’s kind of right. I did do it; but she’s very wrong about it being easy.

I work in an environment with many women who, every January 1, pledge that they are going to eat healthy/exercise/join weight watchers. They go full steam for a few weeks, then by the middle of February, they’re right back to where they started because they didn’t stick to it. A few of them have managed to lose a great deal of weight over a period of time, only to gain it all back quickly. And then the excuses kick in. It makes me sad to watch.

What I’ve done differently is to stick with my healthy eating, which means saying no to take out lunches, and sticking with my lunchtime walks, even in below zero temps, snow, ice and rain. It means spending time on the weekend to plan and prepare healthy dinners for during the week, so I have time after dinner to exercise. It means having a plan in place to keep up the exercising/eating when I’m away on vacation. It’s making the decision to change my life and then sticking to it. It’s deciding that my health and well being is more important than the momentary satisfaction of eating a donut.

Of course, I can’t tell her any of that; she won’t understand until she is truly committed to making the lifestyle changes herself. We all get to that point, and then the magic really happens. If only she had really listened to her own words, she would realize that she already knows that excuses don’t work, action does.

The thing about losing weight and maintain the loss is that there is no end date or finish line. I realize that it’s something I will have to work on and think about for the rest of my life. The best part is that, at least for me, it no longer feels like work; it has become fun and something I look forward to. I get excited about trying new healthy foods that I most likely never would have tried before. Exercise has become my something I love to do; it’s respite, my stress reducer, and some days, my punching bag.

While the journey has definitely not been easy, it has been very, very rewarding. So I guess I did do it…but there is always more work to be done.
  • Maile, your words resonate with me. When the realization hit me that this "diet" would not end I had a moment of defeat. I thought, "I can never do this!" I have since learned so much about myself and how to live healthier. It truly is not easy, and takes a lot of work, but I am developing new habits daily and they are becoming second nature to me now.

I know the excuses and justifications are part of my past and I could not change until I was 100% committed and ready. Oh how I remember the New Year resolutions! I looked at others as well, with envy and thought it was so easy for them. I am so happy I finally took control of my health and weight instead of sitting back and complaining.
  • Quote:

I do not track calories..just cut back when I need to. I counted the calories, proteins, fiber, fat when I moved to P3 breakfasts.

65x65..I do circuit training but it is nautilus and you set your own weights. I love that your gym sets it up for you.Your program is impressive. I gain weight on my stomach and have noticed since I am exercising more and since I am doing the plank, that my muscles are tighter.
    I was eating gluten only in the am..have stopped it for awhile. I am noticing that I am losing weight easier.

Mile...AMEN to this and your other post too ....and as for the circuit...I chose this gym because they do this...I have done the other kind of place and find fooling with the equipment is a de-motivator for me, plus there is always someone waiting in the wings for you to get off. This is a women's place. She used to be part of the chain of "Lady fitness" and was part of that for 10 years but this last year, for business reasons, she bought out of the franchise and has gone off on her own now. It is funny because I can tell when she has jacked something up...holy cow... and feel it too both when doing the routine AND the next day!! The nice thing is the equpment is set in an oval around the perimeter of the space, the center has a lot of balls, mats inclined wedges and other balance equipment set up. The classes.....walkfit..fusion circuit... Zumba ....pilates...all take place there through out the day so anyone can still do the circuit while others are participating in a class...the cardio equipment and personal training area is in the back. The music is ROCKIN' stuff at 120 beats a minute that also has a voice-over prompt that also varies from week to week in duration when it is time to "change stations".... LOVE it. In fact this week is 1 year since I joined and I am taking Margaret fresh flowers and a vanilla latte on Saturday morning! I highly recommend this to any one who has one of the Lady Fitness franchise studios in their area and has been intimidated by the concept of a gym. Of course the owner and trainers make a difference just like anywhere ...
  • IdealNewbie and Maile...thank you. Today is day 5 and while I have had moments, its not been that bad. I am lucky to have my husband and best friend on this journey with me. He has always been so supportive and I really have to give credit when its due...if it weren't for his encouragement, I am not sure I would be able to do this or have done IP with such commitment. That being said, having a buddy to work through the tough things always helps.

I am going to look into Allen Carr's book this afternoon and spend some time reading it. I have also been exploring online support groups, etc. to get an idea of what is out there.

It is very much like IP in the sense that it will never be "over". I too have recognized that this (maintaining with an eye on the scale, phase 1 days, etc.) are a part of my life forever much like watching and monitoring my urges to smoke may be. While initially it feels defeating like dak said, there is an opportunity for great reflection and self examination...an opportunity to know yourself greater and ultimately master what it is that drives you.

Thanks again for all the support. Its always so nice to come here and know that I have friends walking a similar road.
  • More maint. menus...
    Hiya, KC 'n' all:

Reminders - #'s shown are in this order calories, carbs, fat, protein, fibre, sugars
    yesterday's menu:

BREAKFAST
    Blue Diamond - Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk Updated, 10 oz 50 3 4 1 1 0
    Nature's Path - Mesa Sunrise Gluten Free Cereal, 3/4 Cup 120 24 1 3 3 4
    Market Pantry - Tequila Lime Chicken Breast, Ultra-thin Deli Slices, 2 oz (56g) 60 1 3 9 0 0
    Sunmaid - Raisins, 1/8 cup 65 16 0 1 1 15
    TOTALS 295 44 8 14 5 19

LUNCH
    Cauliflower - Raw, 0.34 cup 9 2 0 1 1 1
    Generic - Baby-Cut Carrots, 2.8 carrots (85g) 3oz 6 1 0 0 0 1
    Green Onion - Green Onion Raw (Whole), 0.5 medium (15 g) 3 1 0 0 0 0
    Uncle Ben's Bistro Express (Canada) - Quinoa and Brown Rice With Garlic Flavour, 187.5 mL (90 g) 195 36 3 5 3 0
    Veggie - Broccoli (Raw), 1 Cup (91g) chopped 30 6 0 3 2 2
    Lilydale - Turkey Breasts (Oven Roasted, Seasoned, Carved), 0.25 container (27 strips (50g) ea.) 158 2 3 32 0 2
    Huy Fong - Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, 6 tsp (5g) 30 6 0 0 0 6
    Saporito - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 tsp (10 ml) 40 0 5 0 0 0
    TOTALS 471 54 11 41 6 12

DINNER
    Freybe (Cdn) - Ham Garlic Sausage, 30 g 55 1 4 4 0 1
    Generic - Bell Peppers-mixed (Yellow, Orange, Red), 0.33 cup 6 1 0 0 1 1
    House Foods - Tofu Shirataki (Spaghetti Noodles) (Correct), 4 oz. 20 3 1 1 2 0
    Mushrooms - Raw, 2 medium 8 1 0 1 0 1
    Onions - Raw, 0.4 medium (2-1/2" dia) 18 4 0 0 1 2
    Quality Clover Leaf - Grated Parmesan Cheese, 2 tbs 70 0 5 6 0 0
    Saporito - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 tsp (10 ml) 40 0 5 0 0 0
    Squash - Zucchini, includes skin, raw, 0.5 medium 16 3 0 1 1 2
    Tre Stelle - Traditional Light Feta, 6 cm cube (30g) 140 0 10 14 0 0
    Vegetable - Celery Stalk 7 -8" Long (Kym), 1 stalk 6 1 0 0 1 1
    Classico (Canada - Fire Roasted Tomato & Garlic Pasta Sauce, 1/2 cup 60 10 2 2 3 6
    Danone (Canada) - Oikos 0% Greek Yogurt, Plain, 3/8 cup (175g) 50 4 0 9 0 2
    Danone Oikos - Canada - 2% Greek Yogurt Strawberry on the Bottom, 50 g 50 7 1 4 0 5
    Welch's - Wild Blueberries (Can) Frozen, 0.25 cup 20 5 0 0 2 3
    TOTALS 559 40 28 42 11 24

SNACKS
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 0.75 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb) 54 14 0 0 2 11
    Curves - Yogurt & Berry Bliss Protein Bar, 1 bar 180 23 6 13 8 8
    TOTALS 234 37 6 13 10 19

Totals for day 1,559 175 53 110 32 74
    Your Daily Goal 1,590 199 53 80 25 60
    Remaining 31 24 0 -30 -7 -14

MyFitnessPal puts all my meal ingredients in alphabetical order so something weird like banana may be stuck in the middle of my list of pasta sauce ingredients, but I'm sure you all can figure it out.

Liana
    PS - I've actually lost weight - just a pound, but I may have to up my foods - we'll keep a close eye on it.
  • Quote: ... Here is a blog I like..

A co-worker said this to me today. Initially, I shrugged it off, became embarrassed, but then I realized—she’s kind of right. I did do it; but she’s very wrong about it being easy.
    Thanks for posting this Maile. It's so very true. It's work and conscious choices. Every day.

Quote: Maile, your words resonate with me. When the realization hit me that this "diet" would not end I had a moment of defeat. I thought, "I can never do this!" I have since learned so much about myself and how to live healthier. It truly is not easy, and takes a lot of work, but I am developing new habits daily and they are becoming second nature to me now.
    Dak1lls Me too! I was so angry for a bit. The 'why me', the 'I want to eat what I want'...just annoyed that I couldn't turn off the constant vigilance about food. It took a while but it's sinking in. I CAN do this. I WANT to do this. It doesn't seem so hard (most days) when I make it my choice, what I want to do, to help me live a better life.

Quote: ... I copied to the maintenance what are you eating thread I started
    Thanks for starting that threat kcdoe. So helpful!
  • Quote: Kcdoe: Thanks for your comments. I do not blame the waffles..Instead as you can see I cook ethnic foods.some of which can be higher in fats..such as curries and some of the stir fries. I also found that wine was adding to my weight to staying at the high end of my scale and cut that out for now.
    I have eaten waffles or bread in the am for two years without a problem.

Here is a blog I like..

I work in an environment with many women who, every January 1, pledge that they are going to eat healthy/exercise/join weight watchers. They go full steam for a few weeks, then by the middle of February, they’re right back to where they started because they didn’t stick to it. A few of them have managed to lose a great deal of weight over a period of time, only to gain it all back quickly. And then the excuses kick in. It makes me sad to watch.

What I’ve done differently is to stick with my healthy eating, which means saying no to take out lunches, and sticking with my lunchtime walks, even in below zero temps, snow, ice and rain. It means spending time on the weekend to plan and prepare healthy dinners for during the week, so I have time after dinner to exercise. It means having a plan in place to keep up the exercising/eating when I’m away on vacation. It’s making the decision to change my life and then sticking to it. It’s deciding that my health and well being is more important than the momentary satisfaction of eating a donut.

Of course, I can’t tell her any of that; she won’t understand until she is truly committed to making the lifestyle changes herself. We all get to that point, and then the magic really happens. If only she had really listened to her own words, she would realize that she already knows that excuses don’t work, action does.

The thing about losing weight and maintain the loss is that there is no end date or finish line. I realize that it’s something I will have to work on and think about for the rest of my life. The best part is that, at least for me, it no longer feels like work; it has become fun and something I look forward to. I get excited about trying new healthy foods that I most likely never would have tried before. Exercise has become my something I love to do; it’s respite, my stress reducer, and some days, my punching bag.

While the journey has definitely not been easy, it has been very, very rewarding. So I guess I did do it…but there is always more work to be done.
    Maile, this is so true I have been on both ends of it so I am very familiar with this walk. I must now find a way to become dedicated to exercise, which I hate to be quite honest my shoes are in a bag under my desk awaiting the first day I actually put them on and start the regiment you speak of. I'm a work- a- holic and even eat at my desk while working so actually getting up and going for a walk is a habit that is very difficult for me to get into......I will though, I must!!!! thanks
  • Quote: Maile, this is so true I have been on both ends of it so I am very familiar with this walk. I must now find a way to become dedicated to exercise, which I hate to be quite honest my shoes are in a bag under my desk awaiting the first day I actually put them on and start the regiment you speak of. I'm a work- a- holic and even eat at my desk while working so actually getting up and going for a walk is a habit that is very difficult for me to get into......I will though, I must!!!! thanks
    Me too kcdoe. I am still working on the dedication to exercise part. I don't know why it is such a roadblock...I used to go very regularly. I think for me, as i got older and other items entered the priority list, exercise gradually moved down the list. I'm hoping that better weather will encourage a walking habit too. I do know it is both better for my health and the thing that balances the eating. If I want to eat a little more freely, exercise I must.
  • Maile, great threads! So true, it's a life long
    Journey to be heathy and fit!

Been reading but haven't posted in awhile.
    Been on the college decision train with my
    DD. Currently were in Kansas, OMG never
    Been to the Midwest before, nice people, have
    a couple friends from here. My DD got into
    KU & KSU, so we had to visit, had some dry
    Rub ribs last nite, delish! Maybe a good steak
    Somewhere tonite. We walked over 6 miles
    Yesterday, KU is big!?! KSU today!
    Going to UMaine next weekend!
    I ask her what's wrong with CT?
    Lol she wants a different experience! So the
    Journey continues! My money will go somewhere
    By May 1.

Good to see all is well!
    Day by day, make good choices! We all
    worked so hard and it's worth it, just not
    easy! For me paleo like and exercise is
    the key, we have to do what works for us.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend y'all, lol hear
    That a lot here,

D
  • Quote: Maile, great threads! So true, it's a life long
    Journey to be heathy and fit!

Been reading but haven't posted in awhile.
    Been on the college decision train with my
    DD. Currently were in Kansas, OMG never
    Been to the Midwest before, nice people, have
    a couple friends from here. My DD got into
    KU & KSU, so we had to visit, had some dry
    Rub ribs last nite, delish! Maybe a good steak
    Somewhere tonite. We walked over 6 miles
    Yesterday, KU is big!?! KSU today!
    Going to UMaine next weekend!
    I ask her what's wrong with CT?
    Lol she wants a different experience! So the
    Journey continues! My money will go somewhere
    By May 1.

Good to see all is well!
    Day by day, make good choices! We all
    worked so hard and it's worth it, just not
    easy! For me paleo like and exercise is
    the key, we have to do what works for us.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend y'all, lol hear
    That a lot here,

D
    Haha, I am from the Midwest, but it is big. My DD went all over Indiana,Wisconsin, and 2 in Chicago before finally settling on University of Nebraska...the farthest one away. I have to admit, the people are some of the nicest people I have ever met. If she had gone to Depaul in Chicago that would not have been the case!!(not Depaul itself, Chicago). Good luck on the decision and the eventual move. My DD turns 21 today and it is the first birthday we have not celebrated with her. She is happy and loves her school and on her way to independence, all very important.
  • DRD1961 and Dregan: I hear you about kids going to college far away from you. My kids are scattered all across the US. I hope they love their schools and like you say, develop their independence. I suggest you start accumulating miles for plane flights.

Dregan: I am glad that paleo and exercise work for you. No, it is not easy but so worth it.

Canada: I like your menu..tequila lime chicken, siracha and feta are some of my favorite foods.

Eandc: You are right about the similarities in maintaining weight and maintaining a smoke free life. They both require daily commitment. I am so glad your husband is such a good support.

What I liked about her blog, is when she said, it has no longer become work. It has become something that I look forward to! This is a great goal.

Vachinyc: It took me a year to lose my weight..and in that year I went through the it is not fair period where you see others eating trigger foods. However, in my first year of maintenance I discovered that I really loved the new foods that I was eating. I lost that feeling of deprivation. Now past my second year, I do not feel deprived.

Kcdoe and Vachinyc: I had not exercised in a few years. I began three years ago. It has become a habit..It gets easier the more you do it.

65x65..That sounds like the most fabulous gym. I would love to find a Lady Fitness gym like yours. I love that your interval intensity is done for you. Plus I can see the value of a female gym. That is my main growth needed..I am not doing interval cardio..although I do increase the levels.

My newest find is a cookbook by Maria Emmerich.The Art of Healthy Eating..grain free, low carb reinvented...Slow Cooker. It has interesting looking slow cooker recipes all using cabbage for noodles or cauliflower for rice or filling. She has a popular following on her web site.

I am back at goal and want to go under goal a few pounds.
  • Quote: Hey Hey Everyone,

The last 10 days or so have been laced with frustration, tears, anger you name it (I was in a dark cloud!). I was absolutely diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes...here's my story (because I thought you'd be interested, if not ignore my ULTRA long post/vent! lol).

SO, I knew from personal history (I was pre-diabetic and on metformin before I lost weight) that I should take the GD test although I know I could have 'refused' it. So when it came back positive, I started monitoring my blood. I also grabbed some ketostix because I knew they would be concerned about ketones. In general my blood is within range abeit lower some days which is easily fixed. I took that into my GP (my regular one doesn't catch babies so I have a 'new' one that I just started to to see), he didn't really look at my numbers and said "we'll refer you to the diabetes specialist and the patient educaton (nurses/dietician)" AND he put me immediately on metformin, which shocked me a bit as my numbers are pretty low/normal. So the next day I was seeing the specialist and he actually said he didn't want me on metformin and questioned my numbers as they are "really good, I'm confused" then he questioned my monitor and we compared the readings of my blood, we were .01 of a number off (I'm using Canadian measurements here they are in mmol/l vice americans that measure g/mol. He then started questioning my diet and told me that veggies had no carbs (this is where I started to shut down because he was frustrating me and not listening...until this point I am showing no symptoms of GD other then the positive to my pancreas not knowing how to digest 75 grams of glucose, it didn't help that he was confused by my lack of symptoms and my numbers in comparison to the glucose test) and I could be "poisoning my baby with ketones so I will give you prescription for ketostix and want you to use them" to which I replied "actually I have them already and I tested last week three times and recieved 'negative' all three times. I felt incredibly talked down to and not listened too.

So the next day I went to patient education and the nurse made a little noise when I told her how much I've gained so far. I jumped on her fully knowing that I was going to have extra grains/potatoes etc pushed on to me. She took me to the dietican and told her in front of me (like I wasn't there), "she has a morbid fear of gaining weight and thinks carbs are evil please be careful how you talk to her about her weight". Then about 15 minutes into it the dietican asked me how much I weighed when I first got pregnant and how tall I was and queried if I knew how much according to my BMI I was recommended to gain and if the doctors had commented on it yet. I replied "I know exactly what the recommendation is but it doesn't take into consideration my biological make up or the fact that I've lost a significant amount of weight and now have a slower metabolism then someone who is my size that has never lost weight" (I forgot to add that the diabetic nurse could stand to lose at least 100 lbs - which I don't usually care about other peoples weight because I've 'been there done that' - but don't give me crap for my weight when you're over weight yourself...very difficult to handle). I also told the dietican to leave the Canada Food Guide in the drawer. They call all veggies (but corn) 'free veggies', my body has NEVER EVER considered anything free. Additionally they want you to eat 150-200 grams of carbs just from potatoes, rice, bread etc etc...whhhhaaattt??

So for 3 days I did what they wanted, I was eating ALL the time, I couldn't get my water in! My fingers swelled my toes swelled (I kept saying they feel like piggies), a breakfast that didn't effect my blood sugars on before I started eating the way they wanted now created a HUGE spike in my blood sugars (before I was within guidelines). I had such a massive spike that I cried while doing 2 mile walk with "walk at home", I cried the ENTIRE 2 miles. This was the same breakfast I had 2 weeks earlier that caused no spike. Now with all the added carbs around that meal caused such a significant spike that I was forced to walk at 7 am (while crying from frustration!). I felt like I was starting down the abyss of diabetes, that they were turning on a switch in me and no one was listening to me and how well I knew my own body. I kept seeing future blood pressure medication and a scheduled c-section due to a big baby (in my future). I was in a dark abyss for a few days that no one could talk me out of. I tracked one day of the food they wanted me to eat, I was well over 300 grams of carbs with veggies.

So yesterday after work I had an appointment to go back to my regular GP (who monitored me during Ideal Protein and told me how proud she was of me getting my health under control) I took all my blood levels before their eating and during their eating. She had said I could come back anytime in the next three months if I needed her (when I moved over to the baby catcher), so I reminded her she said that and said I needed some counselling and that no one was listening to me. It was at the end of the day (she squished me in), she put her pen down and sat back and let me talk for about 15 minutes if not longer (she didn't interupt). She reviewed my numbers and asked me what I ate and said I was eating very healthy and agreed that veggies had carbs and that I knew my body better then anyone else. She wants me above a certain level for mornings (easily acheived) and gave me permission to go back to what I was eating. She agreed that they were trying to put me in a standardized little box that I just didn't fit into. She said "they don't usually see someone who knows as much about their own body as you do". I said "what do I do if they freak over some of the lower numbers" she said "ignore them but continue monitoring your blood and ketones".

I'm SO incredibly relieved that someone LISTENED to me and gave me permission to listen to my own body. Don't get me wrong here, I eat carbs I'm just not going to eat 60 grams of starches with my supper. I may eat a smaller number and if my blood work is ok and there are no ketones in my urine then all the diabetic people need to back off!

I feel like a huge HUGE cloud has been lifted off my shoulders today, most definately a 'brighter' day. I honestly felt like I was having a mental war raged against me with "poisoning your baby" "morbid fear of gaining weight" "your baby needs good nutrition" "you think carbs are evil" "you've gained to much weight according to recommendations"

I've always ALWAYS knew a family doctor was important but not so much as now...seeing how she has supported me and given me permission to figure out my own body.
    Ishbel,

I am a lurker here. When I read your post, I felt compelled to speak up --

GOOD FOR YOU FOR STANDING UP! The medical profession can be so frustrating and 'know it all' when really they don't know it all. (They know a lot but not all.) so happy for you that you found someone who would listen and who has an open mind.

And to everyone else -- I love reading your posts. Looking forward to joining you here. I am close to my goal but thinking about setting a new one ... A little lower but one that will get me into normal bmi range.

People who know me well say I should be happy with where I am at...that if I lose too much more I will look gaunt and not healthy. Yet by bmi, I could stand to lose another 25-30 lbs.

Some thinking to do.

Annik
  • Annik: People do love to comment and give advice as you lose weight. I say go with what makes you happy and healthy. I was told to stop losing and ignored it.

Ishbel: Hope you are doing well! You are getting close.

FYI: I tried a baked avocado stuffed with crab and lf cream cheese. it was wonderful..from that recipe book. relatively low cal..and definitely low carb.
  • Thanks, Maile. That's just what I decided to do. I've now set my sights on another 29 pounds. If it doesn't feel right once I start getting closer, I can always reconfigure the plan.

I appreciate your wisdom very much!

and your success... you are like a role model and mentor! Thank you for your contributions here. You really are helping make the world a healthier place!