Maintainers Vol 13

You're on Page 14 of 34
Go to
  • Today I opened my last bottle of WF dressing. Down to just 1 box of IP product (BBQ soynuts), and 2 Mio peach mango flavorings. My P4 journey this far has been one of extremes--at first, back in Sept, I walked such a tightrope that I could barely stop losing weight. I was so perfect that it didn't feel like "Me." Then came the holidays and, in a nutshell, I gained 12 lbs. With the help of 3FC, I'm back to ideal weight. My experience taught me a few things: aside from my new clothes feeling a bit snug, all the pounds didn't magically return. I've learned to have a plan to avoid the mindlessly enabling "enjoy the holiday foods" mode next time. Mostly, I have a better sense of being in control of how I eat, not so reliant anymore on the structure of P1. It's there if needed, but for now I am going to feed my body when it's hungry, with wonderful foods that I can mostly make. Many thanks to all of you 3FCers for posting your thoughts suggestions support recipes, etc. It's great to walk with you all!
  • I had a similar experience over the holidays, giving in to old habits, etc. "Mindless Eating" is certainly a good way to describe it. It is definitely a continuing effort to remain focused on good eating and good health. I used to always look at diets as having an end, and in the back of my mind I always looked forward to when I could eat anything again. Clearly a recipe for failure! This time feels so different. I have learned so much about my relationship with food in the past. No more! I think of that old Nina Simone song, "It's a new dawn, it's a new day....and I'm feeling good!"
  • Ishbel...so sorry to hear about your dental pain. How difficult for you...I'll be thinking of you. Just focus on that healthy baby!!

Mars & Dak...I can so relate. On other diets, I had the same issues. This time through, I made sure that I wouldn't be so tempted by just phasing off over the holidays. At least you knew how to correct the gain quickly...kudos to you for losing the gain!!

Maile...thanks so much for your support. Yep, that 1 lb gain was gone 2 days later with no changes in my eating. I just need to stop freaking out so much & just enjoy feeling so good!!

I still haven't had a "cheat day" yet, and don't really want one. Like you've said above I just want to eat the healthy stuff!
  • I have enjoyed my cheat days, honestly. But I like the reset day too. Reminds me of all the good food I like to eat.
  • Quote: I have enjoyed my cheat days, honestly. But I like the reset day too. Reminds me of all the good food I like to eat.
    Do you just have a really relaxed day for your cheat day? I hope to take that approach after my blood test next week. I wonder if this cheat day is important to keep that metabolism humming along...
  • Fitmom: I am glad that you are back at goal weight and good luck with your blood work. There are mixed views on fun days, but it was part of the IP plan. I do not do them.

Sarita: Cheat days seem to work well for you. The re-set is the helpful tool of IP.

Dak1ll and Mars: I think that is the best tool of IP. In maintenance you can get up pounds, but that does not mean that you need or will gain all of your weight back. IP gives you a P1 tool to work on up pounds so you can keep maintaining.

Mars: Thanks for your support. My husband was happy not to have to go back and edit!

Ishbel: I am so sorry about your dental pain..plus not being able to use medications (advil) due to pregnancy is so hard. I really hope you are feeling better.

65x65: Thanks for your support. You are right..that was a scale victory as I was accepting the new weight that I am now as being stable.

Julian's bakery online has a new pale wrap. It is made from coconut meat and coconut water. It has good reviews and 2 net carbs and 70 calories. I am going to try it.
  • 2nd try for a Mio-free day. Yesterday forgot to drink any water at all until evening & then used Mio to chug down 4 glasses. Every time I skip my water, I feel hungry all day and yesterday was no exception.

I'm trying different oils to mix things up. The roasted nut oils are incredible! Roasted peanut oil tastes like peanut butter. Walnut & pistachio are just decadent. I'm not sure how these measure up for essential fatty acids and omegas but they are a nice indulgence. I've been using La Tourangelle brand, and keeping them in the fridge to preserve flavor.
  • mars: I notice I am more lax about my water consumption on maintenance and really have to mentally make a plan to drink more. I was never a big water drinker before IP so it was always a struggle for me to drink enough. I did develop a taste for it though and found that the flavored drinks seem too sweet to me. That's the nice thing about MIO though, you can add just enough for your taste.

Ishbel: I hope you're feeling better. I had a crown put on a while ago and not long afterwards I ended up with the most excruciating pain. I was away on business and had nothing to take but Tylenol. It did nothing! I have a bite splint for my TMJ and ironically that seemed to relieve some pain by keeping my teeth from touching until I could get to the dentist. I ended up needing a root canal in that same tooth. I was kind of mad that they had to drill through my brand new crown, since they are soooo expensive. lol. Then, I ended up with an infection because the antibiotic he prescribed was something that didn't work for me. It was a long process. I feel so bad that you are pregnant and suffering with this! Dental pain can be the worst!
  • Interesting reading about autoimmune issues/gluten/thyroid, etc. I have a number of autoimmune issues (celiac, Crohn's, Reynaud's) and am also hypothyroid. When I saw my endocrinologist last week she mentioned that frequently her hypothyroid patients turned out to have Celiac Disease, and then went on to say it really wasn't surprising since they're both on the same gene. I hadn't been aware of that. In any event, I definitely feel much better now that I'm gluten free and keep my carbs pretty low overall. I do love my half of an Udi's Mighty Bagel in the morning though!! Even if I had a choice, I'd never go back to a regular bagel!
  • Quote: Interesting reading about autoimmune issues/gluten/thyroid, etc. I have a number of autoimmune issues (celiac, Crohn's, Reynaud's) and am also hypothyroid. When I saw my endocrinologist last week she mentioned that frequently her hypothyroid patients turned out to have Celiac Disease, and then went on to say it really wasn't surprising since they're both on the same gene. I hadn't been aware of that. In any event, I definitely feel much better now that I'm gluten free and keep my carbs pretty low overall. I do love my half of an Udi's Mighty Bagel in the morning though!! Even if I had a choice, I'd never go back to a regular bagel!
    Interesting things you add here! My husband carries the genetic marker for celiac plus he has reynauds and crohns. I have hypothyroid and the family history of diabetes, thyroid and a bunch of other undesirable autoimmune things....we have kids with all of the above. Gotta love Gregor Mendel and those pea plants....
  • Quote: Congratulations Ishbel! Your wedding pictures are great!

I don't do many carbs at all and I use MFP all the time.

Hi,

What is MFP?

I'm still in P1, getting ready to start P2 next Monday (I HOPE) and trying to become mentally ready for P3 and then P4, for a lifetime!

Thank you,
    Brenda
  • Hi All!

Brenda, MFP is My Fitness Pal. It's a wonderful app and/or website which allows us to enter the foods that we eat each day. We can also enter weight progress, exercise, etc. and keep track of everything. I've been using it for a little over a year.

Mars, 65, Fitmom, and others who have been on the Reboot thread with me: It's really great how IP has given us the tools to take off this weight - and keep it off, even after a small gain. I'm also back at my goal weight, although I still want to go down 3 more pounds. I'm more relaxed about even the reboot, as I know what it takes and I know this is a long-term life plan. Yes, the pounds didn't magically return! But --- I know that I have to remain careful.

It's snowing here in central Louisiana and I can't stop smiling. They've already cancelled school for tomorrow. We'll have a few hours of snow flurries. All of you northerners: Please stay warm and safe!!!
  • Joysh: You guys are not used to snow down there..It is like Seattle and Portland who also are not used to the snow! My son in -4 degrees will not have a closed school.

I also hope everyone who is hit with the new storm stays warm and safe.
  • Quote: Hi All!

Mars, 65, Fitmom, and others who have been on the Reboot thread with me: It's really great how IP has given us the tools to take off this weight - and keep it off, even after a small gain. I'm also back at my goal weight, although I still want to go down 3 more pounds. I'm more relaxed about even the reboot, as I know what it takes and I know this is a long-term life plan. Yes, the pounds didn't magically return! But --- I know that I have to remain careful.

It's snowing here in central Louisiana and I can't stop smiling. They've already cancelled school for tomorrow. We'll have a few hours of snow flurries. All of you northerners: Please stay warm and safe!!!
    Hi joysh, hope you have fun today! Hats off to you for biting the bullet and getting back to your goal. Same here with trying to get 3 more lbs off.

I think 'be careful' will be my mantra, as I found it really hard to cope with hunger pangs while getting into ketosis this time. And I had awakened the craving, binging part of me ---still working on taming those urges so that I don't have to reboot too often. It's a lot more enjoyable to tackle the life eating plan & work on behavioral issues with all the weight off, is it not?

Thanks, Maile for recommending Brain Over Binge!
  • Quote: Joysh: You guys are not used to snow down there..It is like Seattle and Portland who also are not used to the snow! My son in -4 degrees will not have a closed school.

I also hope everyone who is hit with the new storm stays warm and safe.
    Our school in the rocky mountains of Colorado, would never think of closing school for snow or the cold... the kids have to stay inside for recess ONLY when it is below -10 (yes... 10 BELOW).