Maintainers Vol 13

You're on Page 13 of 34
Go to
  • This had me thinking, so I reviewed those carbs...and found that I consumed 134 TOTAL carbs....net carbs amounted to exactly 100! A lot of what I eat has a lot of fiber in it!
  • I believe the net carbs are what are important.

I think I am insulin resistant also as my family had diabetes and low thyroid. What I found interesting in a diabetes class was the way they now relate diabetes to heart disease.

Anytwy, low carb eating has been the only way I have maintained my weight loss in many years.
  • Quote: I believe the net carbs are what are important.

I think I am insulin resistant also as my family had diabetes and low thyroid. What I found interesting in a diabetes class was the way they now relate diabetes to heart disease.

Anytwy, low carb eating has been the only way I have maintained my weight loss in many years.
    AMEN Maile...diabetes and unstable high normal blood glucose is also being linked to dementia and alzheimers now. Scarey. We have the hypo-thyroid in over 1/2 of my siblings, and all 9 of my mother's siblings, and Juvenile diabetes and dementia in my mother's family. No one is not at risk among us.
    There are articles recently and media coverage on lo carb diets now being suggested as action those at risk might want to consider.....
  • Quote: This had me thinking, so I reviewed those carbs...and found that I consumed 134 TOTAL carbs....net carbs amounted to exactly 100! A lot of what I eat has a lot of fiber in it!
    While I understand the difference between net & total carbs, I am curious what it means in the body. Are the subtracted carbs absorbed at all--do they contribute to the calorie count? Are they simply absorbed so slowly that they do not stimulate insulin secretion? Is there an upper limit of fiber before it behaves like regular carbs?
  • Hi all! I just wanted to say that I've been reading your posts and you all have such a wealth of helpful information!

I'm currently in P4/Maintenance - I phased off for a trip to Mexico coming up in 9 days (not that I'm counting or anything, lol!). While I did do a P4 day on Wednesday - fat rich/carb poor lunch, carb rich/fat poor supper - I didn't feel all that great yesterday and am fairly certain it was the introduction of the additional carbs that did it. I'm having a "fun day" today - but only for one meal, lunch, but I think I'm going to do a P1 weekend just to help "reset".

This is definitely showing me that carbs can be a trigger for me and I am going to have to experiment once I have reached goal to find the proper balance and what my limit is for carbs.

Thanks again for all your helpful information - I look forward to being able to join you all when I reach goal in a few months <fingers and toes crossed>!

Jo
  • Quote: I am up to about 1400-1500 calories, with about 120 to 130 carb grams per day! Hmmm...maybe I'm too high?? I read on Maintainers Vol 9...that it was recommended to eat between 100-150 grams of carbs per day...with 55 to 65 grams of fat per day ( for someone similar to my height). So I have been almost doing that this past week. My weight SEEMS steady.

However, I am 5'5"...39 years old; and I have been doing p90X3 workouts daily...with some added incline walking. Tonight I added more sprouted grain to my meal (bringing calories to almost 1500)...we'll see how that affects the ole scale tomorrow.
    I think everyone's mileage will vary based on age, activity level, and overall metabolism rate (which is highly individualized). If you're maintaining with what you're doing, then it isn't too high FOR YOU

Quote: While I understand the difference between net & total carbs, I am curious what it means in the body. Are the subtracted carbs absorbed at all--do they contribute to the calorie count? Are they simply absorbed so slowly that they do not stimulate insulin secretion? Is there an upper limit of fiber before it behaves like regular carbs?
    Most of the fiber carbs are excreted in the bowels.
    Carbs from sugar alcohols leave more to interpretation. I count them "in" my net carbs, rather than leaving them out.
  • Quote: I believe the net carbs are what are important.

Yes Maile, definitely diabetes is related to heart disease. My mother developed diabetes and died of heart disease at the age of 60, her mother and brother died of the same thing at young ages as well. Boy, what a wake up call for me as I creep closer to that age; a huge part of why I started IP.

I have learned so much from this site and everyone's input. Why didn't I take my health seriously when I was younger!? I am trying to pass on good things to my kids so they won't go down the same unhealthy path and don't risk developing health problems; diabetes and heart disease, as they get older.

Quote: I think everyone's mileage will vary based on age, activity level, and overall metabolism rate (which is highly individualized). If you're maintaining with what you're doing, then it isn't too high FOR YOU

Most of the fiber carbs are excreted in the bowels.
    Carbs from sugar alcohols leave more to interpretation. I count them "in" my net carbs, rather than leaving them out.
    Good info Lisa. We are all affected differently by carbs, as many others can attest to as well! While they set me up for cravings and inflammation, I don't tend to gain quickly when I increase mine.

I have always been a bit confused on the sugar alcohol thing, but have erred on the side of caution and included them as well. It certainly makes sense to subtract the fiber carbs now that you mention that.
  • Hi Everyone! Just checking in.

I'm a week and a half into my little reboot, just to take off the 6 pounds that found me over the past few months. It's been fine, and I'm down 3-4 pounds already. I figure I'll continue P1 for one more week, then phase off. This is my first time back in ketosis since last April.

All else is fine with me. The semester has begun, so I'm busy again.

I do know that keeping a journal (I use MFP) and checking in here are really important.

Best wishes to all!
  • Yep...just as I thought...up 1 lb this morning. Grrr...probably too many carbs at dinner...or could it be from the strength training? I'll be cutting back tonight. I'm almost tempted to do a P1 day to erase that pound. like many of you, i wish there were better guidelines to follow in P4. My clothes still fit the same of course, and I do feel great. I ran into my old dean...and he said that I looked fantastic...kind of made my day!

On a side note...I had my annual checkup on about day 5 Of Phase 3. In my blood work...my total cholesterol was 205, HDL 95, triglycerides 54, LDL 100. So not too bad there. But the SCARY part was my liver enzymes...they are way too high & out of the ballpark. I have to go back in to retest my blood & have an ultrasound of my liver & gallbladder. In 2010 all of these results were perfect. My TSH came back fine for the thyroid. Do you think this could just be due to phasing off of this diet? My coach thinks so. This just scares me that something could be wrong...just when I feel great.
  • Quote: Hi Everyone! Just checking in.

I'm a week and a half into my little reboot, just to take off the 6 pounds that found me over the past few months. It's been fine, and I'm down 3-4 pounds already. I figure I'll continue P1 for be more week, then phase off. This is my first time back in ketosis since last April.

All else is fine with me. The semester as begun, so I'm busy again.

I do know that keeping a journal (I use MFP) and checking in here are really important.

Best wishes to all!
    Congrats on your reboot! I take it you teach, too! Good luck this semester!
  • Fitmom: I hope your blood work is OK. I showed high in protein in my blood work. It is frustrating just when you think you are in good health to have to deal with lab results. I use the 3 percent range..if I go up a pound or two I will go into a P1 to get it off. If that pound does not go away, just do a P1 for a few days.

Joysh: Your reboot is going well. Good luck with the new semester. I am swamped doing grades from the last one.

Dak1lls: My dad also had diabetes and developed heart disease. The reason I lost my weight was because I had a pre-diabetes high blood sugar. I did not want to get diabetes. I wish I had learned to be healthy when I was younger also.

Mars735: I am not an expert, but think there is no limit to the amount of fiber you can have. I have never seen anything along those lines.

Purplemonster: Welcome to maintenance. Carbs are a trigger for me also. I hope you have a wonderful trip to Mexico!

65x65: That is scary about diabetes and blood sugar being related to dementia and alzheimers. The increasing rate of juvenile diabetes is depressing. I see so much of that in my low income students. Many are overweight by 4th and 5th grades.

Here is my Non Scale Victory. My husband compiled a DVD of old family videos. It was from the birth of my twins, through my third son and last my daughter.
    Normally I absolutely hate looking at myself when I was obese. This time I looked at the old overweight me and thought. That is who you were. You are not that person now. (And I will never be again.) Instead of feeling sad, I felt resolved.
  • Quote: Fitmom: I hope your blood work is OK. I showed high in protein in my blood work. It is frustrating just when you think you are in good health to have to deal with lab results. I use the 3 percent range..if I go up a pound or two I will go into a P1 to get it off. If that pound does not go away, just do a P1 for a few days.

Joysh: Your reboot is going well. Good luck with the new semester. I am swamped doing grades from the last one.

Dak1lls: My dad also had diabetes and developed heart disease. The reason I lost my weight was because I had a pre-diabetes high blood sugar. I did not want to get diabetes. I wish I had learned to be healthy when I was younger also.

Mars735: I am not an expert, but think there is no limit to the amount of fiber you can have. I have never seen anything along those lines.

Purplemonster: Welcome to maintenance. Carbs are a trigger for me also. I hope you have a wonderful trip to Mexico!

65x65: That is scary about diabetes and blood sugar being related to dementia and alzheimers. The increasing rate of juvenile diabetes is depressing. I see so much of that in my low income students. Many are overweight by 4th and 5th grades.

Here is my Non Scale Victory. My husband compiled a DVD of old family videos. It was from the birth of my twins, through my third son and last my daughter.
    Normally I absolutely hate looking at myself when I was obese. This time I looked at the old overweight me and thought. That is who you were. You are not that person now. (And I will never be again.) Instead of feeling sad, I felt resolved.
    Kudos to all for the recognition of where we were and celebration for the resolve to stay where we are!

Health factors being a biggie for everyone is motivation..thanks for sharing.

Maile...love your NSV...but actually ..I think it is a scale victory!!!! A really big one!! Congrats!
  • Quote: Most of the fiber carbs are excreted in the bowels.
    Thanks for the good info, Lisa.

Maile, congratulations and thanks for them fighting words: "I feel resolved"!
  • Morning pity party starts now....

I've had a rough couple of 10 days. Started in Dec with a filling that should have been done from my last check up but got lost in communication between my dental office and myself. So we did it before Christmas, it started to hurt about 2 weeks ago and progressively got worse. When back in, apparently the bite was wrong, shaved it down. Still got worse, went back in and they gave me something for sensitivity AND then went BACK in for another dentist to look at it. THEN called the office on Saturday morning because I couldn't sleep anymore and I was in tears (literally could NOT sleep specifically on my left side) and I'm only allowed tylenyol and THAT only 6 times in a 24 hour period apparently (UGH!). Emergency root canal on Saturday (he opened the office and did it as quickly as he could). I texted him on Sunday cause the pain was back and now I'm on antibodics. a;lsdkjfalskdjfl;asjdf SO SO SO cranky moody and tired....pretty sure the bite is still wrong but it's so tender right now I'm not using that side anyway. Pretty sure that the nerve just got tired of fighting the bad bite and then just wouldn't settle down completely and once that's happened it's hooped. WOULD LOVE SOME ADVIL THOUGH! ugh!

.....on the upside during my moments of clarity I found this thread an interesting read. I have a lot of diabeties in my family and thyroid issues (I was pre-diabetic and on metformin before IP). 65X65 I envy your background and dedication to tracking everything with your medical team. It has never been confirmed technically but my doc agrees that I am insulin resistant just due to all my history. I was never good at sticking to something like you were to show a doctor how well I was doing (I could not do THAT well for THAT long)
  • Quote: Morning pity party starts now....

I've had a rough couple of 10 days. Started in Dec with a filling that should have been done from my last check up but got lost in communication between my dental office and myself. So we did it before Christmas, it started to hurt about 2 weeks ago and progressively got worse. When back in, apparently the bite was wrong, shaved it down. Still got worse, went back in and they gave me something for sensitivity AND then went BACK in for another dentist to look at it. THEN called the office on Saturday morning because I couldn't sleep anymore and I was in tears (literally could NOT sleep specifically on my left side) and I'm only allowed tylenyol and THAT only 6 times in a 24 hour period apparently (UGH!). Emergency root canal on Saturday (he opened the office and did it as quickly as he could). I texted him on Sunday cause the pain was back and now I'm on antibodics. a;lsdkjfalskdjfl;asjdf SO SO SO cranky moody and tired....pretty sure the bite is still wrong but it's so tender right now I'm not using that side anyway. Pretty sure that the nerve just got tired of fighting the bad bite and then just wouldn't settle down completely and once that's happened it's hooped. WOULD LOVE SOME ADVIL THOUGH! ugh!

.....on the upside during my moments of clarity I found this thread an interesting read. I have a lot of diabeties in my family and thyroid issues (I was pre-diabetic and on metformin before IP). 65X65 I envy your background and dedication to tracking everything with your medical team. It has never been confirmed technically but my doc agrees that I am insulin resistant just due to all my history. I was never good at sticking to something like you were to show a doctor how well I was doing (I could not do THAT well for THAT long)
    Ishbel...you poor baby! I hope you get some sleep and relief soon. Dental stuff to me is the worst...I have such a phobia....and literally passed out in the chair when I was preggers with my youngest baby..(many many eons ago...!!!) He had to call my husband to come get me and post poned the work until after I delivered...guess I was not his idea of IP...IDEAL PATIENT!!!

Feel better...and take care of yourself. Pregnancy/nursing both are notorious for sapping calcium ...not good for bones...or dental situations. Hope you get to a good place...(pain free) SOON.