3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Maintainers Vol 13 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/289884-maintainers-vol-13-a.html)

Annik 01-04-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishbel (Post 4909176)
Happy New Year everyone!

Lizzy I tried lamb once and did NOT like it, have you eaten it a lot throughout your life? I didn't grow up on it....my mom said that's probably why

Ishbel...and my mom says that if the wool touches the flesh while the animal is being processed, a really bad taste goes through the whole meat. She says when we were kids, she had to get rid of a whole lamb that had been cut and wrapped because of the faulty processing. I don't remember that for a bad experience might have very well permanently put me off lamb (as one did off rabbit.)

I didn't eat a lot of lamb while growing up but I really do like it now.

Mom also says that meat from young animals -- like lamb and veal -- is healthier to eat than meat from adult animals... Fewer opportunities for the 'producer' to adulterate with antibiotics, chemicals, etc

Lizzy63 01-04-2014 08:18 PM

Love the new avatar, Ishbel!

Annik - interesting - I have never heard that before about the wool toiching the flesh.

On day 3 of a little reset. Going well. I can feel my tummy disappearing now that I am staying below 50 carbs daily...

In for some fun weather here in IL. Expecting another 8" of snow, then arctic cold. High on Monday of 15 below (wind chill will be around 35 below). Ick! Think I will not be getting in all of my walking for a couple of days. Maybe will double up tomorrow morning before the temp really starts dropping.

Stay warm, everyone!

swimcoachmomma 01-04-2014 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annik (Post 4910983)
Ishbel...and my mom says that if the wool touches the flesh while the animal is being processed, a really bad taste goes through the whole meat. She says when we were kids, she had to get rid of a whole lamb that had been cut and wrapped because of the faulty processing. I don't remember that for a bad experience might have very well permanently put me off lamb (as one did off rabbit.)

I didn't eat a lot of lamb while growing up but I really do like it now.

Mom also says that meat from young animals -- like lamb and veal -- is healthier to eat than meat from adult animals... Fewer opportunities for the 'producer' to adulterate with antibiotics, chemicals, etc

I'm not big on lamb, but we always harvest calf elk in the winter. Like those young animals although it looks pretty funny to hang a 175 pound elk calf next to a 500 pound or greater bull elk. Ours is way better eating.

kkids 01-04-2014 09:32 PM

Maile - some days it is difficult to eat my entire salad at lunch since I eat with my kinders & that in itself is a treat! :) But salads with some type of chopped protein is my typical lunch. Hubby is awesome - he fixes all the lunches; including mine.
I think I'll do P1 next week as I get back into the routines of school b/c of a little holiday splurge...I do find it more difficult to stay on track when I'm not working, but I'm sure that will change eventually :)
I'm trying to stay up very late this evening b/c I have to get my high school track star & they won't be back until close to 1 a.m. Wonder if I can take a nap before then...

deelee10 01-06-2014 03:25 PM

Hi all!

Just wondering how many of you are exercising during maintenance? I am down to my original goal (-37) after gaining durini8ng the holidays. I stopped exercising much because I was busier than usual with elderly parents. And I could feel that my physical stamina suffered. So, I started back to exercising, just recumbant bike and a little elliptical after Christmas.I've been adding a little until yesterday I was able to do the elliptical for 25 minutes then did the bike for 25. I was so proud of myself. I was very good on my diet and weighed myself this morning and I GAINED HALF A POUND! I know exercise does not cause weight lose and that we need to exercise because it is good for us but !$*^!! So now I'm pouting and I don't even want to go work out :(. Any advice appreciated!

P.S. I'm going to Mexico Saturday with DS and his new wife and in-laws. Even the MIL is a size 2! She's only 2 years younger than me. They're all very nice but it's making me cranky. I'm a size 8 which is fine in clothes but the jiggly cottage cheese that's even on the front of my thighs is embarrassing. It gets worse with age. I bought a couple of coverups but they don't even go to my knees! Don't these designers realize that there are A LOT of baby boomers in our fifties and sixties and we need a coverup to COVER US UP! Because it's not just the thighs - the upper arms, especially after losing 45 lbs aren't ready for prime time either. Evidently only "Roberto Cavalli" on Bloomiesweb site and they wanted over $300 for that! Decided I'm just going to throw on a shirt and capris.
Thanks for letting me rant! I'm going to the health club!

Ishbel 01-07-2014 10:30 AM

deelee I was exercising, running really calms me emotionally. I was doing 5-10 km per run. Average 6-8 during a run. It calms me enough that VIP would shoo me out the door to get me to run. I was doing that 3 times a week and would aim for 4 but would usually get 3. At this moment due to some complications I had to stop running and even walking for about 6-7 weeks so now I'm just walking. I use Leslie Sansome walk at home and do 3-5 miles per day 5-6 times a week. Your coverups, totally get it! Can you sew? Or do you know someone that could sew? They could make you a coverup. Are you just concerned about your legs? Just a large square from the fabric store might work too (I've done that when I was in a hurry then asked my mom to hem it to clean it up after the fact).

kkids Maybe your hubby could teach mine how to make lunch?? He's so lost, getting better with the help of a list on the fridge though ha! :) He has his redeeming qualities :)

joysh hows your reboot going?

Lizzy/annik/swimmingcoach I may try lamb again but I won't try it if I'm making it myself LOL Kinda scared now, ick. (sorry)

++++
I need to tell you how I did these brussels sprouts, WOWZA! I cut them in half, boiled them for 3-4 minutes and then immediately cooled them off under the tap. THEN, I threw them in the frying pan with some green onions and bacon (not a lot just maybe a tbsp of shredded from the bag). When they were just slightly carmelized I removed them and sprinkled some parmesan on them (just enough for a taste). HOLY SMACKAROONS! Y-U-M!

Have a great day! :)

joysh 01-07-2014 08:08 PM

Hi All!

My reboot is going well. Actually I've just finished Day 2, so it's only just begun...

Saw my coach today and bought some of the IP drinks I like. She's so dear. Anyway, I'm waiting for a Nashua order. I forgot how easy it is, not having to plan meals. All I need is my trusty shaker. But I do miss my Greek yogurt, banana, and granola breakfast. Ah, well, it will return when the six pounds go away and I will be a happy girl to know I caught it before it caught me.

Ishbel, I'm so excited for your pregnancy! You will be a great mom! Are you in touch with LizRR?

My daughter made a wonderful Brussels sprout dish for Christmas that was a lot like the one you described. It turned out a bit shredded, but tasted amazing!

Maile 01-08-2014 08:59 AM

Here is a link for a new free book and videos. www.fatloser.com
I am going to check it out.

I am back from warm SF and into the cold. I am trying not to worry about my son in Chicago getting frostbite.

Joysh: Those breakfasts are hard to give up. Those are the first things that I cut back on when I am losing up pounds. You are wise to tackle those pounds now.

Ishbel: You pregnancy is going so well. You are staying health and happy! I have made tanguine without the pot. I would like one of those pots. Your brussel sprouts sound yummy and very French with cooling them in water.

Kkids: You have a busy lunch with those K kids. They are adorable but very active. I hope your son arrived Ok with that late night.

Deelee: I exercise almost daily and lift weights. My weight did go up a few pounds when I started lifting weights. After a year my arms and legs really toned up. I hope you find some clothes that you like for that cruise. It is frustrating that the fashion industry does not provide better options.

Lizzy63: I wish you well in that arctic cold in IL. Thank goodness it is warming to 5 degrees today.

FitMom02 01-08-2014 10:05 PM

Hi maintainers!!! I am entering maintenance tomorrow! Thanks for the support you have given me so far!

In phase 3, I did gain the 2 lbs. But I'm ok with that...and was expecting it. I'm thinking of just adding some fat to my lunch tomorrow...some string cheese + 1/4 avocado along with my salad & chicken. Then adding my carb dinners in a couple of days.

Can you recommend any good cookbooks for maintenance? Due to your discussions, I have purchased the Refuse to Regain book & the State of Slim. They do look good.

I have also started the NEW p90X3 workouts. They are 30 minutes long...I'm in week 2. It feels Wonderful to workout again, I'm thinking of adding some incline walking.

Sorry about rambling on & on, I'm just really excited to be here!

Maile 01-09-2014 08:23 AM

Fitmom: I am excited for you on maintenance. I do not use cookbooks but go to websites for recipes. I like all recipes.com, food network, kaylin's kitchen food blog,or sparkpeople. I found that finding foods that you really like to eat helps you stay happy on maintenance. I think it is good that you are slowly adding foods as you go!

jelliehel 01-09-2014 09:52 AM

Maile: You said you exercise almost daily and lift weights. What size weights do you use and how long do you do it for? I have been using 3-5 pound weights about 4 times/week. I do a 9 minute sculpting routine I found on sparkpeople in addition to 30-45 minutes of cardio with weights/stretchy band. I have been doing it for about 6 months now. I do notice definition in my arms but I have that bat wing thingy going on. I REALLY want to wear a tank top this summer but am so self conscious. I'm not sure if the extra skin will get better or won't with weights. I guess time will tell. Do you have any experience with this same issue? Does anyone else? Thanks for any advice/help.

Maile 01-10-2014 07:50 AM

I do the Nautilus circuit weight stations at my gym. They are not free weights but are the machines...so my weights might be 50 pounds of resistance or higher.
I also was embarrassed to wear sleeveless tops. I found after a year that my arms looked much more defined..not perfect but muscular. I do around half an hour of weights.
Do you have access to a gym?

It sound like you have a good exercise program.
The only thing I can think of is to expand your arm exercises with a few different ones.

jelliehel 01-10-2014 12:06 PM

Thanks for your response Maile! I haven't joined a gym yet. I have been tossing around the idea. I think I have too if I want to work harder on my arm issue. Thanks again for your help!

Lizzy63 01-12-2014 05:30 PM

Hi - just checking in.

Deelee - I walk about 45 minutes daily. Working on increasing that, but hard to find time!

So, I have been struggling with back problems off and on for about 10 years. Got really bad about 2 weeks ago and I insisted on some follow up because I feel like this should not happen so often and it was worse than usual. Turns out I have degenerative disc disease, arthritis in my spine and scoliosis - eek. Taking lots of pain meds and starting physical therapy Thursday. At least I can still walk - that actually seems to make it feel better. I have eaten some things I shouldn't while feeling sorry for myself - that's gotta stop (both feeling sorry for myself and eating bad things)!

Back on the wagon tomorrow! No more junk!

lisa32989 01-12-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzy63 (Post 4917739)
Hi - just checking in.

Deelee - I walk about 45 minutes daily. Working on increasing that, but hard to find time!

So, I have been struggling with back problems off and on for about 10 years. Got really bad about 2 weeks ago and I insisted on some follow up because I feel like this should not happen so often and it was worse than usual. Turns out I have degenerative disc disease, arthritis in my spine and scoliosis - eek. Taking lots of pain meds and starting physical therapy Thursday. At least I can still walk - that actually seems to make it feel better. I have eaten some things I shouldn't while feeling sorry for myself - that's gotta stop (both feeling sorry for myself and eating bad things)!

Back on the wagon tomorrow! No more junk!

I have chronic back problems and have been in PT since April.
I've learned I'll need to continue PT for life to keep my back problems manageable. Eating junk makes it worse b/c it increases inflammation. The cleaner I eat, the better. I've learned that gluten-free is really best for me.

I'm no longer on any pain meds & just managing it with exercise. It'll take time but it can be done! We will be stronger for it.

I can't walk very far without pain (about 30 mins, slowly). The PT may take some time (weeks to show a difference, months to really feel progress)