Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Susie and Nolasmurf CONGRATS!! That's so great for both of you!

Aliexpat-great will power! The other day my boss warned me to hold my nose before I walked outside because a bakery was baking their bread. When I walked out I took a deep breath because I knew that's as close as I would get to it!! hahaah so I hear ya on trying to ignore those smells!

I weighed in this AM...I say ONLY lost 1.2 pounds because I've been pretty consistent with my WI being over 2-3lbs. I started a bit of cardio this week but if that is what slowed me down (water retention) should I wait? I know that resistance training is better for us now, right? Save cardio for later? I still have a ways to go so I think that is my solution....i think...!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #17  
IP Start 2/5/13

S/C/G: 315/ip292/see ticker/145

Height: 5ft 5in

That is exciting Susie and Nolasmurf! Great job!!!

I am cleaning out my closet today and taking a bunch of clothes I no longer fit into to the good will. At the beginning of my weight loss it seemed like it took forever to get into the next size down in my closet. But then I started zooming through the sizes, and some stuff, when I would recheck for fit, I had already shrunk out of!! A good problem to have.

Have a great OP day everyone!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #18  
IP Start: 05/16/13

S/C/G: 215.8/140.3/145

Height: 5'5"

Good morning all. Hope you are well. First - the congrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
I made it to ONEderland!!
Huzzah for you! What an awesome accomplishment, I know you must be ecstatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
I laughed at myself the other day at the doctor's office - they asked how much I weighed and I said "2 er, no - 184." Still getting used to being less than 200 I guess.
Another awesome story, thank you for sharing. I still can't get over that I weigh less than my driver's license says I weigh, which was a lie from when I started (I was 215, my DL said 185). Its strange how our minds work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems70508 View Post
I weighed in this AM...I say ONLY lost 1.2 pounds because I've been pretty consistent with my WI being over 2-3lbs. I started a bit of cardio this week but if that is what slowed me down (water retention) should I wait? I know that resistance training is better for us now, right? Save cardio for later? I still have a ways to go so I think that is my solution....i think...!
I am not sure if you saw my posts yesterday about working out and WL. Honestly, there probably wasn't much there so don't bother going back. lol. I started doing more cardio this week. I felt pretty awful, low functioning, hungry/craving, etc. I spoke with my coach yesterday and she stated, flatly, that P1 and P2 do not offer enough calories or carbs to sustain cardio. Light walking? Ok. Light swimming? Ok. A short bike ride sans hills? Ok. What was I was doing? Not okay.

She reiterated the the function of IP is to deplete your glycogen storage so your body has to burn fat and muscle, which is does in equal ratios in ketosis, hence adding back protein in our food, packets, etc. According to her, if we exercise, the body needs more calories - calories it will take from our body. While that sounds great, it takes from all muscle indiscriminately, including the heart muscle. That can lead to issues. While some may disagree with her perspective or simply have their own thoughts, I felt hungry/sick enough that I am going to stop cycling until I go to P3 next week.

As for strength training, I would think the same "if it's light, okay!" mentality will apply. Remember, however, that strength training does involve creating and fixing small tears to the muscle tissue which may be hard to rebuild due to the diet.

Onwards and upwards all! Happy Thursday!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Sarita, that explains it so well to me. I knew we weren't supposed to do a lot because we weren't eating a lot of calories, but to understand how our bodies respond is great. thank you!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #20  

Height: 5'6"

Default allergic to soy?

Hi all! looking for some direction. I think I am allergic to soy. I've been using alternative products. Pure Protein bars and the EAS carb control shakes. I've noticed every time I have a shake (lunch & snack) that cheeks get hot & I get flushed. I've also been waking up with awful headaches and some dizziness (not sure if that's from the soy or not, could just be me)
It was suggested that I try some whey protein shakes, but what brand specifically? Pure protein makes a shake with whey, but labels say they contain soy. I'd like to be able to purchase locally, not online, but will if necessary.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 252/227.6/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems70508 View Post
Sarita, that explains it so well to me. I knew we weren't supposed to do a lot because we weren't eating a lot of calories, but to understand how our bodies respond is great. thank you!
I do know that if you are working out you should have more protein those days to help rebuild the muscle, plus it gives you those extra calories you need to sustain the workout. Without that, you truly don't have enough calories for your body to function properly. I've also been told that once you start working out, your weightloss slows. I'm not sure why. It could be that you are losing fat, but putting on muscle. I guess a pound for a pound so to speak. However, muscle burns more calories than fat, so I guess I'd take the pound of muscle over the pound of fat any day!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 210/174/150

Height: 5'7"

I love all these upbeat messages today! Must be because the week is more than halfway over.

Day 3 for me on IP and so far I am not doing great on this diet-- 8oz of protein is just too much! Managed to eat 6oz yesterday and 2c of vegetables. Aiming for all 8oz and 3c vegetables today.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsmom97 View Post
I do know that if you are working out you should have more protein those days to help rebuild the muscle, plus it gives you those extra calories you need to sustain the workout. Without that, you truly don't have enough calories for your body to function properly. I've also been told that once you start working out, your weightloss slows. I'm not sure why. It could be that you are losing fat, but putting on muscle. I guess a pound for a pound so to speak. However, muscle burns more calories than fat, so I guess I'd take the pound of muscle over the pound of fat any day!
The extra packet is true. Or lean protein. She did indicate that, if I do any exercise for more than 10 minutes, I should have an extra packet or lean protein. Thank you EMSMOM ....
Old 11-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #24  
Started IP 9/10/2013

S/C/G: 220/157/145

Quote:
I made it to ONEderland!!! Barely... sitting at 199.8 but I'll take it!!!

I may have danced around my bathroom a little bit this morning...
Yay! I know how you feel! I hit it just a couple of weeks ago. SUCH a good day! Congratulations!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #25  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Quote:

Congratulations! That is a huge accomplishment!

Way to go, Nolasmurf!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #26  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita75 View Post
Good morning all. Hope you are well. First - the congrats!!

Huzzah for you! What an awesome accomplishment, I know you must be ecstatic!

Another awesome story, thank you for sharing. I still can't get over that I weigh less than my driver's license says I weigh, which was a lie from when I started (I was 215, my DL said 185). Its strange how our minds work!

I am not sure if you saw my posts yesterday about working out and WL. Honestly, there probably wasn't much there so don't bother going back. lol. I started doing more cardio this week. I felt pretty awful, low functioning, hungry/craving, etc. I spoke with my coach yesterday and she stated, flatly, that P1 and P2 do not offer enough calories or carbs to sustain cardio. Light walking? Ok. Light swimming? Ok. A short bike ride sans hills? Ok. What was I was doing? Not okay.

She reiterated the the function of IP is to deplete your glycogen storage so your body has to burn fat and muscle, which is does in equal ratios in ketosis, hence adding back protein in our food, packets, etc. According to her, if we exercise, the body needs more calories - calories it will take from our body. While that sounds great, it takes from all muscle indiscriminately, including the heart muscle. That can lead to issues. While some may disagree with her perspective or simply have their own thoughts, I felt hungry/sick enough that I am going to stop cycling until I go to P3 next week.

As for strength training, I would think the same "if it's light, okay!" mentality will apply. Remember, however, that strength training does involve creating and fixing small tears to the muscle tissue which may be hard to rebuild due to the diet.

Onwards and upwards all! Happy Thursday!
How much cardio are you doing, just curious?
I started at the beginning doing two days of interval training on the treadmill and one toning class a week. My losses have been pretty good overall (2-3 pounds a week). I also asked to add another toning class after I lost 20 pounds because I wanted to start toning more. They said it is okay to do that as long as I'm aware that the scale may not move as fast as the more muscle you have the less you will lose (muscle weighs more than fat). On the other hand, I'll be losing a lot of inches which means more to me. In regards to eating extra protein when I work out... sometimes I do add an extra unrestricted pack when I do cardio because I am hungrier and want to restore my energy stores. I've been doing exercise since I started and it hasn't slowed me down at all.

Everyone is different I believe and will lose at their own rate. I know the first two or three weeks of getting on IP is when there is a danger of doing too much cardio as your body is trying to get in ketosis. Hopefully you start feeling better and i can see that if you are running long distances or doing extreme exercise how you could definitely need more food/protein.

Last edited by Jojo381972; 11-07-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #27  
Started IP 6-5-13

S/C/G: 211.4/154.0/155

Height: 5'7 and a half!

Congrats on Onderland Shrinkingsusie!!!! Woooooo Hooooo!
Gotta love a whoosh Nolasmurf congrats!!

Looks like we will be dancing for Misstiff soon!

Lovely IP day!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #28  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:

Woohoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstiff View Post
I am so happy for you!!! I can't wait to see that number on my scale it's been way to long. Your doing awesome!!!
Hey, you're pretty close too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolasmurf View Post
WTG Susie!

I am happy to announce I had a big whoosh this week. 6.2 lbs and I almost can't believe it. I must have checked that scale 5 times!
Woohoo, that's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliExpat View Post
I drove to work today with 3 dozen hot fresh mini jamaican beef patties in my car! What a wonderful smell!! I haven't had one! I just had my coffee and choco peanut bar. Everyone is coming over to get one so hopefully they will all be gone in a few minutes! MUST. RESIST. PATTIES!!!!

Oh! And Congrats Nola!!! 6.2 is AWESOME!!!!!!
Oh, that must have smelled awesome! Great will power!

Morning all! Back to work today for me. I had taken a few days off because my sister had surgery to remove a cancerous portion of her colon on Tuesday. Spent the afternoon with her yesterday, she's doing well but is facing a pretty tough recovery. I was happy to see that they had her up and walking a bit though. We also got to meet one of the hospital's therapy dogs yesterday - he was so sweet and it was great for my sister because she was missing her dog.

I'm trying the IP Chicken a la King/Chicken Pottage today for lunch - my coach convinced me to try it saying it's really yummy - I hope she's right!

Have a great day everyone!
Jo
Old 11-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo381972 View Post
How much cardio are you doing, just curious?
Cycling about 1 hour per day in hilly San Francisco, although actively seeking to avoid steep hills (20 minutes to work from my boyfriends, about 40 minutes home - uphill more and further).

Walking is fine for me for now. I don't have these "issues" that I have been having.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 210/174/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMomster View Post
I'm trying the IP Chicken a la King/Chicken Pottage today for lunch - my coach convinced me to try it saying it's really yummy - I hope she's right!
I'm trying this one today, too. Here's hoping it's good!
Closed Thread