Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Default Near goal, self sabatoge?? Group suggestion posted below.

I am beside myself. I was at last WI, 8lbs from 'my goal'. For the past month or so though, I have been binging and now drinking Smooth Move tea in a effort to rid myself of the binge. It's not a daily thing, but 2-3x a week. I feel like I am as fat as I was a year ago. I don't know why I am doing it to myself. TRULY. And I have been craving strange things, well not super strange but now I LOVE LOVE LOVE peanut butter and have a huge sweet tooth.

My coach has been great and told me to text her when I can feel it happening. This morning I ate 6 mini cupcakes and threw the rest out to stop myself.

Even when I was at my heaviest, I never binged in the manner I have. Uncontrolled, non-stop for about an hour eating. I am terrified and don't know what to do.

I do have a lot of issues going on at home and work, I am upset I hurt my knee and had to put Zumba and running on hold.

But, even while I am binging, I am thinking of the healthy things I do and want to do.

If this has happened to you or has happened once you've reached goal, please pm me. TIA!!!

Last edited by NinjaNurse; 10-23-2013 at 12:44 PM.
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #2  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Hi Ninjanurse,

I've followed your journey with interest, and first want to congratulate you on a job well done. You have done great.

I reached my goal weight this past April - was a very slow process, as I mostly 'released' 1 lb/wk... but through persistence I finally got there. Like you, it got harder to stay disciplined as I neared the goal. I've read a lot of posters comment that same thing. I found I had to re-dedicate myself to getting rid of those final 10 lbs or so. I recall joining in challenges here at the forum, which somehow helped keep me more focused and disciplined.

As to your recent binging. Perhaps it's not quite the same thing, but I've noticed in maintenance that once I open the door to sugar & carb laden food stuffs that the craving for more becomes very, very hard to resist. For me the only way to curb it is to avoid it in the first place. That doesn't mean I never enjoy cake or desserts, etc., but I stick with my own recipes that are sweetened with stevia, and made without gluten. I'm currently back on a slightly customized version of P1 in order to get rid of my weight regain.

Nothing magical to share unfortunately. But I did want to post and show my support.

PS - I recall you working with & being scorbett's friend? Haven't seen her around here in months, since she reached goal. She always offered pretty sensible and knowledgeable advice - I'm interested in knowing if you've discussed your current status with her?

My Apologies - just noticed that you requested a PM... feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more.

Last edited by evepet; 10-23-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: addition
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 242/208(IP)/158/140

Height: 5'0

Read The Beck Diet solution!! I had the same problem binge eating, gaining weight, stress eating and totally out of control. The book was a reality check to all the sabotaging behaviors I have always had. It's worth it's weight in gold to anyone who yo-yo's.

You can get the control back, you did it before
Bellybuttonlint403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #4  

Here is something I downloaded just last nite. It has made me realize the entire Beck Diet Solution will be very helpful to me in maintenance, as some of the behaviors you describe are currently in remission for me but I know they are not "cured" by IP

http://scarsdalelibrary.org/main/wp-...PA-article.pdf
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 242/208(IP)/158/140

Height: 5'0

Perfect summary of the good points of Beck Diet!! Thank you
Bellybuttonlint403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #6  

I have the Beck Diet Solution Book and have heard wonderful things about it. My only gripe was the whole watching skinny people eat thing. I caused me an almost mental breakdown the 1st time I did this at a party this Summer. They ate like people at a party and I was jealous.
I will look into the book again, maybe for the information more pertinent to what I am going through.
You are all right, since eating sugar and carbs again, although for me it is more sugar, I want it more. I can still pass up bread and potatoes no problem.
Lisa you are right, I really thought since I had conquered those issues for so long, I was in control always. No such luck. Always an addict I guess........
Glad I posted here, I don't mind the chat this way and I don't mind PM's. I just hadn't been here in so long, I didn't know how the response would be.
Scorbett and I are friends, but she's moved about 45mins away and has a full time job now so we haven't chatted in ages.
I am so glad I am not the only one who's going through or gone through this.
PS: I printed that article out and put in on my fridge.

Last edited by NinjaNurse; 10-23-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #7  

1 more ???? would anyone be interested in starting a emergency page on FB?? Private, for people who need help and encouragement or even someone to PM when the situation hits?? One night I pmed a friend and that a lone kept me busy and not eating. Let me know....................
Old 10-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #8  

Just the other day I voiced it for the first time:

I have the disease of obesity, which I will need to treat for the rest of my life, so I can stay out of the obese range.

I wonder if watching skinny people eat (perhaps not at a party which is a time most people overindulge) when you aren't in P1 would be a different experience. I know anytime I've watched one gal, she eats very little of what she orders. She is rail thin.

Anyway, I've lost and regained before. I want/need to do what needs to be done for this time to be different.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #9  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Sadly, your current experience is pretty classic behavior of the vast majority of (women especially) not only low calorie, low-carb and keto dieters, but anyone who has been dieting down for a sustained period of time, especially without *true* breaks along the way. Of course, the taste of sugar/carb/yummy can 'trigger" many more tastes, but at the root of all of it is a basic, animal urge driven, uncontrollable instinct for survival. I won't go into the many, many symptoms and consequences of thermogenic/metabolic adaptations (espcially with a program like IP, or MRC) but suffice it to say, untold numbers of women who had NEVER had binge tendancies (over-eating, sure, but not uncontrollable binging) find themselves suddenly binging and engaging in trance-like "hand-to-mouth" binging once they: hit low Body fat numbers; engage in overtraining; sustain harsh caloric deficit for long periods; reduce/elimate carbohydrates long term without resetting leptin levels through refeeds; spend a large length of time obsessing over food and fat loss.
I'm not sitting on a high horse. I struggle with these issues. To this DAY, if i find myself even STARTING to dip into a big calorie deficit, or my body gets a whiff of ketosis I find a half jar of peanut butter has dissapeared and i dont even remember unscrewing the lid. Its biology, its physiology, its survival, its hormonal, and its psychological, but still, uncontrollable especially if youre still in a deficit, or still restricting carbs.

If you think I'm full of it, i challenge you to go over to the featherweights and find me one example of a lady there who does NOT struggle with loss of control over food. Go to any forum where women are dieting down/contest prepping.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule.
Leigh Peele did a FANTASTIC 3 part Podcast series on "The Binge" (before, during and after) and she goes into detail on the physiological and mental aspects leading up to it....
On a personal (anecdotal) note, the ONLY solution I have found is to NOT DIET. The ONLY time i dont binge is when i go long periods of time without restricting my calories, and obsessing about food. I didnt binge for almost a year, and it never even really occured to me that i might, when i was eating like a "normal" person (ie; eating what i wanted, how much i wanted, when i was actually hungry).
There's lots of info out there, but Leigh Peele's stuff is ALWAYS a great place to start. she recently put out a new work, called Starve Mode, which goies into specifics about how/why your body responds to the stress of chronic dieting and over training etc, and what you can do... short anser--> eat. eat more food. Eat good food. eat carbs. gain fat
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/160/165

Height: 5'5

I started maintenance recently and noticed the same thing, I went about four days where I just ate and ate. But I swore to myself it had to stop, so now I have been busting my butt at the gym every morning before work and sticking to a good plan of healthy eating. Try to stay strong!!
cassieleeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
Sadly, your current experience is pretty classic behavior of the vast majority of (women especially) not only low calorie, low-carb and keto dieters, but anyone who has been dieting down for a sustained period of time, especially without *true* breaks along the way. Of course, the taste of sugar/carb/yummy can 'trigger" many more tastes, but at the root of all of it is a basic, animal urge driven, uncontrollable instinct for survival. I won't go into the many, many symptoms and consequences of thermogenic/metabolic adaptations (espcially with a program like IP, or MRC) but suffice it to say, untold numbers of women who had NEVER had binge tendancies (over-eating, sure, but not uncontrollable binging) find themselves suddenly binging and engaging in trance-like "hand-to-mouth" binging once they: hit low Body fat numbers; engage in overtraining; sustain harsh caloric deficit for long periods; reduce/elimate carbohydrates long term without resetting leptin levels through refeeds; spend a large length of time obsessing over food and fat loss.
I'm not sitting on a high horse. I struggle with these issues. To this DAY, if i find myself even STARTING to dip into a big calorie deficit, or my body gets a whiff of ketosis I find a half jar of peanut butter has dissapeared and i dont even remember unscrewing the lid. Its biology, its physiology, its survival, its hormonal, and its psychological, but still, uncontrollable especially if youre still in a deficit, or still restricting carbs.

If you think I'm full of it, i challenge you to go over to the featherweights and find me one example of a lady there who does NOT struggle with loss of control over food. Go to any forum where women are dieting down/contest prepping.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule.
Leigh Peele did a FANTASTIC 3 part Podcast series on "The Binge" (before, during and after) and she goes into detail on the physiological and mental aspects leading up to it....
On a personal (anecdotal) note, the ONLY solution I have found is to NOT DIET. The ONLY time i dont binge is when i go long periods of time without restricting my calories, and obsessing about food. I didnt binge for almost a year, and it never even really occured to me that i might, when i was eating like a "normal" person (ie; eating what i wanted, how much i wanted, when i was actually hungry).
There's lots of info out there, but Leigh Peele's stuff is ALWAYS a great place to start. she recently put out a new work, called Starve Mode, which goies into specifics about how/why your body responds to the stress of chronic dieting and over training etc, and what you can do... short anser--> eat. eat more food. Eat good food. eat carbs. gain fat
YOU. ARE. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! It's like you saw exactly what is happening to me.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #12  

If a leptin reset is in order, it can be done in a low carb manner but with a big increase in food.

Google Jack Kruse Leptin reset.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #13  

Ninja nurse and other great responders...

My sons' school has a curriculum on health and body awareness and one lesson stands out to me for this particular issue. Basically, the teacher went through the five things you need to survive (food, sleep, water, air and shelter/warmth) and what happens to your body when you restrict that item. For example, when you don't get enough sleep, your body is lethargic and your mind is slow and when the weekend comes, you sleep in. If you are out in the sun without water, your body dehydrates and you feel faint and you drink lots of water when you get a chance. By the time she got to food, it 'clicked' for the class-- if you deprive yourself of food (through diets) then when you get a chance, you overeat. It's one of the ways our bodies cope and survive-- it takes in extra air/sleep/food etc. when it's been denied the healthy amount.

I am in Phase 3 and headed to Maintenance and keep thinking about this idea. I was in Phase 3 several weeks ago and felt like I couldn't stop eating- I had no control once the guidelines of IP allowed 'normal' food. This startled me and I went back to Phase 1 for three weeks and then phased off again because I wanted to phase off correctly. This time has been better so far. Maintenance is going to be tough!
mnmomX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #14  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
If a leptin reset is in order, it can be done in a low carb manner but with a big increase in food.

Google Jack Kruse Leptin reset.
My apologies to you Lisa, but that Jack Kruse site isnt even good pseudo-science... carbohydrates are needed for leptin (or at least adequate amounts of leptin, and at a quick rate) to cross-the brain-blood barrier....the higher glycemic, the better.

"Leptin response to carbohydrate or fat meal and association with subsequent satiety and energy intake" Am J Physiol. 1999 Nov, 277. Romon M, et al

"Effects of short-term carbohydrate or fat overfeeding on energy expenditure and plasma leptin concentrations in healthy female subjects" Int J Obes Relat Metab Disor. 2000 Nov; 24. Dirlewanger M, et al
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #15  
IP start date: 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 230/207/160

Height: 5'2

OMG. Ninjanurse...this is EXACTLY what has been happening to me lately. Finally- I think I understand what has gone wrong! Thank you for explaining it to me in a different way. For some reason it just clicked in my brain what you said and now I see clearly. lol

I have been binging in the evenings almost daily. I have my healthy 3 meals in the day- and no snacking in between meals...until after supper! Then I lose it...in a BIG way. Like 4 tablespoons of peanut butter, a bowl of cereal...pringles you name it. UGH. And I am not even close to goal- I have only lost 20lbs and have been at a stand still for over a month.

So...tell me now- what do we do about this?! How do we get back to where we were!? How do I get on the losing train again?! I would ABSOLUTELY be interested in an emergency FB page or something........I do have the Beck Diet Solution. I think that is going to be my reading material before bed for the next few nights.
jmanovich is offline   Reply With Quote