Old 10-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #1  

Default Vegetarian-ish Doing IP?

Hi,
I'm intrigued with IP, as I have just come across a provider where I live. However, the allowed proteins are quite limiting. 8oz seems like an awful lot of protein for me to consume. And, my only options, I think, would be chicken, eggs, tofu, or fish. 8 oz of tofu?!?! Can you offer any advice before I embark on this kind of diet? TIA!
RubesOnaDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #2  
Started IP 03/06/2013

S/C/G: 198.8/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Not entirely sure what you're asking here. 8oz of protein is the deal. I've eaten 8oz of tofu (once!) and it was manageable. I think most coaches will say that if 8oz seems like too much, you can drop it to 6 or split it amongst two meals. But I've never had an issue with it.
WillowVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #3  

Whatever you choose for your protein, I think it has to be something you like to be happy and enjoy the diet. I used steak a lot in the beginning because it was something I generally limited, and since I love it I had a great time eating it a lot in the beginning. I have always put 2 oz on my lunch salad and 6 oz at supper since 8 oz seemed too much for me in one sitting. Whatever you do, it is probably less likely to make you happy (and keep you on the diet) if you choose something you are just "choking down".

Good luck.

Last edited by goldilocksinct; 10-15-2013 at 07:43 AM.
goldilocksinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 181.5/170/140

Height: 5' 4.5"

Rubes,

Ask your coach for vegetarian options since they do exist. I asked every week I was OP and finally - when I was phasing off - I was given a list. I can try to dig it up, but I know it had peanut butter, black bean burgers, and a few other options on there. All of the items listed were very specific to brands though, so you have to be careful with that.

The 8oz of meat thing was really hard for me to embrace as I typically only eat meat once or twice a week. I am also close to being a vegetarian, only I do occasionally eat red meat (wild game), but no poultry. I ate fish almost every night...which is hard when my only non-store bought options are halibut and salmon (limited to once a week). Although the 4 cups of veggies struggle never happened for me.

When I get home tonight, I will try to find that list and scan it.
Snarfler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #5  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarfler View Post
Rubes,

Ask your coach for vegetarian options since they do exist. I asked every week I was OP and finally - when I was phasing off - I was given a list. I can try to dig it up, but I know it had peanut butter, black bean burgers, and a few other options on there. All of the items listed were very specific to brands though, so you have to be careful with that.

The 8oz of meat thing was really hard for me to embrace as I typically only eat meat once or twice a week. I am also close to being a vegetarian, only I do occasionally eat red meat (wild game), but no poultry. I ate fish almost every night...which is hard when my only non-store bought options are halibut and salmon (limited to once a week). Although the 4 cups of veggies struggle never happened for me.

When I get home tonight, I will try to find that list and scan it.
I'd be very interested to see thus too, thanks!!! I have the same meat struggles. I throw away more than I eat.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 181.5/170/140

Height: 5' 4.5"

I hope the attachment works! The chicken scratch on it is from the owner of the clinic I go to.

I'm sad black bean burgers aren't on there, but I do love veggie burgers, portabella burgers, and am curious to try a chili-bean burger!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IPVeg.pdf (49.6 KB, 35 views)
Snarfler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #7  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarfler View Post
I hope the attachment works! The chicken scratch on it is from the owner of the clinic I go to.

I'm sad black bean burgers aren't on there, but I do love veggie burgers, portabella burgers, and am curious to try a chili-bean burger!
Thanks for this! I'm in Canada and we don't have those brands here, but at least I can look for stuff with the same caloric requirements. I could open the file no problem.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote