Old 10-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #391  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthayer View Post
So my weigh in is Monday morning and I am rethinking that Monday is a bad day to get a weigh in!!! Oh well I was down 0.6, at least I am down. I so want to be in the 180's...and I am so close to that 50 pound mark. I may try to be 100% this week even though I feel crappy when I do that.

KCANDPONIES the fact that we do not feel well when we are 100% means something!! But what, lol!
trishthayer,

There is a carb flu that happens when one goes 100%. What you are experiencing are withdrawal symptoms from addiction to sugar. Sugar is said to be more addictive than cocaine. If you have ever seen someone go through withdrawal from that, the symptoms are much worse than withdrawal from sugar. But nonetheless, sugar is a menace. If one keeps feeding sugar to the body, then withdrawal is never complete. What you instead experience is what can be an agonizing steady pattern of the body's attempts at withdrawal.

If you keep giving in to sugar, you never get through the withdrawal. And of course your body will send signals that it feels better with sugar. Those are the same kinds of signals of relief a cocaine addict gets when she gives in to more cocaine.

Google sugar addiction or see this article: This is Your Brain on Sugar

and here:

Sugar Dubbed Addictive

The Bitter Truth About Sugar

Where Sugar Unexpectedly is: Sugar Shock

Once you get through withdrawal (and you need to kick sugars to the curb to do this), the carb flu ends, ketosis kicks in and you are on your way. Ketosis is your best friend but only stays with you if you respect it.

Annik

ps Aspartame creates the same effects as sugar. Although aspartame may have no calories, it creates the same physiological effect as does sugar. That is why aspartame is a no-no.

Stevia is ok along as it is not the adulterated stevia.

Last edited by Annik; 10-21-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #392  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
trishthayer,

There is a carb flu that happens when one goes 100%. What you are experiencing are withdrawal symptoms from addiction to sugar. Sugar is said to be more addictive than cocaine. If you have ever seen someone go through withdrawal from that, the symptoms are much worse than withdrawal from sugar. But nonetheless, sugar is a menace. If one keeps feeding sugar to the body, then withdrawal is never complete. What you instead experience is what can be an agonizing steady pattern of the body's attempts at withdrawal.

If you keep giving in to sugar, you never get through the withdrawal. And of course your body will send signals that it feels better with sugar. Those are the same kinds of signals of relief a cocaine addict gets when she gives in to more cocaine.

and here:

Sugar Dubbed Addictive

Once you get through withdrawal (and you need to kick sugars to the curb to do this), the carb flu ends, ketosis kicks in and you are on your way. Ketosis is your best friend but only stays with you if you respect it.

Annik

ps Aspartame creates the same effects as sugar. Although aspartame may have no calories, it creates the same physiological effect as does sugar. That is why aspartame is a no-no.

I DO NOT eat suger and my carbs are below 30 net every day. I eat more protien than the 8oz because I was so tired and miserable. I may not be 100% OP but I do not eat anything that is not OP. I think you should ask questions before you lecture.
trishthayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #393  

S/C/G: 301/290/180

Height: 5'10

Default Whoa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
trishthayer,

and here:

Sugar Dubbed Addictive

Annik

This is such awesome information!! I recently heard something about sugar being as addictive as cocaine, but wow!!! Interesting!! And the aspartame thing? I had no idea!!

Quote:
I DO NOT eat suger and my carbs are below 30 net every day. I eat more protien than the 8oz because I was so tired and miserable. I may not be 100% OP but I do not eat anything that is not OP. I think you should ask questions before you lecture.
I don't think Annik's post was meant as a jab, more of a sharing of information. I totally understand about feeling crappy, and didn't realize that adding some additional protein (perhaps in the form of actual food and not packets?) might help. I'd love to hear what you've tried to help beat back what I'm going to call the Ketosis Zombie.

In other news, Hello my lovelies!!! I've missed you guys!! I'm back on track, and doing my own version of 100%, meaning, no bad stuff (bread, cake, sugar, etc.) and keeping my water upped. I'm feeling totally wiped out today after a really busy weekend, and of course, trying to get back into ketosis is making me that much more sleepy, achy, and cranky. But, I know that once I get back to where I'm meant to be, I won't feel this bad. I saw some great stuff from over the weekend and am so glad to have this resource. Now I'm back to working my tush off in the office, and possibly...
ktgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #394  

S/C/G: 181.5/170/140

Height: 5' 4.5"

Good luck staying as close to 100% as you can muster today!
Snarfler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #395  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

it is oreos that are addictive like cocaine, and yes they are sugar but there are certain ingredients in the crème filling that makes them addictive LOL
sarahBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #396  

Height: 5'5"

Well I am sorry if I jumped the gun but sometimes this forum can get nasty. I may be a touchy....sorry!!
trishthayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #397  
Started IP May 17, 2013

Quote:
Sorry. I don't mean to lecture. I am trying to help out. I work full time and check in on the boards periodically. If I were doing this as a paid job, I could ask more exploratory questions but that's not possible.

I thought you were the person who was eating ranch dressing. I looked back through the posts and see that is kcandponies. Sorry. I made a mistake.

I am just trying to help out. If you react with hostility to this, I'll happily give my free time to someone else. I am not trying to make you defensive. I simply made a mistake. Mea culpa. This is the 90% thread and my understanding is that by everyone's agreement here, it is for people who aren't 100% OP. That's a pretty wide definition. There is a woman name Wuv who participated here a while ago (on 3 fat chicks that is...not this thread). She lost 248 pounds and left the forum because she was so frequently attacked when she tried to help out. Lisa has now been experiencing that, too.

As for the extra protein: It is well established that too much protein can kick you out of ketosis. It is why Jimmy Moore switched away from the high protein Dr. Atkins regime to moderate protein way of life.

You can read more about him on his website at Living La Vida Low Carb.
He is not doing Ideal Protein but he is doing a version of ketogenic nutrition. He has authored several books on the subject.

Sugars also show up in surprising places. When I thought you were the person who said s/he eats regular ranch dressing. To that person: check to see if it has sugar in it. And beware, that the ingredients might say something like fructose or glucose or some other word that doesn't sound like sugar at all.

sending my best,
Annik

Last edited by Annik; 10-21-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #398  
Started IP May 17, 2013

ps to Trishthayer: I just looked at your numbers. You haven't stalled. You are going down. I have several times had weeks where I have lost nothing.

You can't rely only on what the scales says.

Weight loss is not linear. The body often needs time to make adjustments.

You are having success. Keep going!
Old 10-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #399  
Started IP May 17, 2013

Thanks, ktgrrl -- I was just trying to be helpful.

and trishthayer -- thanks for the acknowledgement! you are doing well. Keep going!
Old 10-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #400  
Started IP May 17, 2013

By the way, Wuv is going in for redundant skin removal surgery this week. (I follow her on Facebook and on her Youtube posts, too.)

Awhile ago she said the surgeon predicts the removal of the extra skin will cause an immediate additional 50 pound + weight loss for her... ie, loose skin weighs a lot.

Her before and after photographs are amazing.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #401  

Quote:
Well I am sorry if I jumped the gun but sometimes this forum can get nasty. I may be a touchy....sorry!!
we forgive you

I made killer cinnamon rolls this weekend and I took just a pinky tip dipped in the maple frosting and that was enough for me I should not done that but the scale has not moved since Friday, so I am going to carry on
Old 10-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #402  
Started IP May 17, 2013

more info... this posted in another thread by someone who has been super successful on IP and knows the programme inside out: 'Ketosis helps with hunger and cravings but the effects aren't strong enough to overcome all the hormones. Many of us still get cravings certain times. I certainly have hungrier days...'

I guess what she is saying is there are some days when we just have to ride out the storm.

On these days, I try to reach for an extra drink pack (peach mango and the blueberry granita are my favs.)

I also try to go to bed early.

I also try not to miss out on my evening snack. If I do, I can be setting myself up for a bad day the next day.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #403  

what is this going to bed early??? I have heard of such rumors that there is a "going to bed early" :blink:

Early for me is 10pm-10:30pm. After peanut goes to sleep I have to finish getting the house cleaned up, kitchen cleaned up and this stuff hardly gets accomplished during the day and our 15 year old does it half arsed SO I need to finish and try like **** to get a head on the cleaning!

But maybe I can see what this going to bed early really is !!! In about 3 years ROLF!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #404  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahBell View Post
what is this going to bed early??? I have heard of such rumors that there is a "going to bed early" :blink:

Early for me is 10pm-10:30pm. After peanut goes to sleep I have to finish getting the house cleaned up, kitchen cleaned up and this stuff hardly gets accomplished during the day and our 15 year old does it half arsed SO I need to finish and try like **** to get a head on the cleaning!

But maybe I can see what this going to bed early really is !!! In about 3 years ROLF!
Oh how I remember those days! Now I get exhausted when I watch my grandsons for just a few hours, and they are 8 & 12....not little toddlers anymore. lol. I feel for you. It goes by so quickly (sigh).

Have a good day!
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #405  

S/C/G: 301/290/180

Height: 5'10

See? It's all love here!! LOL!!

Annik! You, darling, are a wealth of information!! I had no idea that extra protein could kick me out of ketosis. But, and excuse my laziness, how much is too much? If I have a 10 oz steak instead of 8 oz, is that bad? I'm assuming the 16 oz is TOTALLY out of the question!

Also, how bad is an extra packet? I eat 4 pretty consistently and feel pretty great most of the time. I know I'm on the "heavy" side of the scale, and have based my 4 packets on the recommendations of Lisa, but wasn't sure how bad it was. Usually, I eat like this - 7am-ish - EAS shake in the car, 10:30/11 - small snack (crisps or the WLS pretzels (side note - soooo good!), 12:30 lunch - soup, broccoli and sometimes a bar, 6:30 - dinner. I almost never have a late night snack as I find dinner pretty filling, and go to bed about 9pm, so it seems a little silly to eat that late, but on the weekends I might switch it up a little.

Okay, so glad I have a place to ask all my slightly weird questions. Insight is much appreciated! You guys ROCK!!!
ktgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote