3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Phase 1 Alternative Plan (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/288409-phase-1-alternative-plan.html)

jmanovich 10-07-2013 10:31 PM

Phase 1 Alternative Plan

After som discussion with my coach today I am beginning the P1 alternative plan for a few weeks. There are not many threads on this topic...and I could not find the answer to my burning question anywhere!

Here is my question- I had 150g whole wheat rotini for supper as a group 1 choice. I weighed it cooked...do I weigh pasta raw or cooked?! My 150g of pasta was 530 calories! YIKES!!! This put my calorie count at 1600 rather than my usual 1100-1200. Wowzers...not sure I will be having whole wheat pasta again anytime soon! Haha!

Any words of wisdom about P1 alternative plan would be so greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

nolasmurf 10-07-2013 10:41 PM

I'm pretty sure you weigh it raw. When I was just counting calories I weighed raw. Of course it shrinks up quite a bit. Also I wanted to say to you I'm glad you came back and I wish you the best. Sometimes the drama gets a bit much around here and what I said in that thread I meant no harm.

jmanovich 10-07-2013 10:55 PM

Thank you nolasmurf for your kind reply! This forum is way to valuable to stay away from for too long :) I really am not out to start fights, judge or anything like that either. I just want to lose the weight like all of us...sometimes my blood gets boiling and I say things I shouldn't though and I know it, but who doesn't?

Anyways...I found with my pasta today it expanded big time while it cooked. Hmmm still a bit confused?! I think regardless because it is so calorie dense I will choose other group 1 choices more often!

nolasmurf 10-08-2013 07:34 AM

Duh yes it expands sorry was half asleep! :dizzy:

Munchy 10-08-2013 09:18 AM

I'm not on IP, but I do know that pasta is weighed raw before cooking. The water that soaks into the pasta during cooking doesn't affect calorie counts.

Also, a "normal" portion of pasta is 2oz (about 56g). Since this is such a small amount many people (including myself) bulk up the pasta or replace it entirely with non-starchy vegetables like thinly sliced peppers, onions, spinach, mushrooms or even ribbons of summer squash or zucchini.

Another option is spaghetti squash, but for my palate, I don't like the sweetness with marinara sauce.

jmanovich 10-08-2013 11:56 PM

I find that the 150g serving of whole wheat pasta or brown rice is quite large for the alternative plan! I mean it doesn't look "large" on your plate- but man the calorie/carb count is through the roof! Today for my group 1 choice I had a cup of peas in stead- 130 calories versus 530! 400 calorie savings there and I didn't feel any less full afterwards.

I think I will save whole wheat pasta or rice as just an occasional maybe once weekly group 1 choice- and go with peas, corn etc most of the time.