Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 325/312/190

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Whine time. I hate being sick - some kind of stomach thing with all the great nausea that comes with it. And to top it off I have an infection so they gave me a massive dose of antibiotics in my behind and more to take at home that have to be taken with food. So now I have to take anti-nausea stuff so I can eat to take the antibiotics. Ain't medicine wonderful?

I've stayed OP except for not getting enough veggies in. Just couldn't stomach more.

Off to bed - hope this clears up soon and I promise not to whine again for at least six months.
Hope you feel better soon Ruth Ann. It's never fun being sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post
RuthAnn, feel free to whine! It helps relieve stress.

I just finished my 9th full week on IP today with no cheating and my losses have just been unbelievable! I am ripping though 10 pounds blocks of weight every 14 to 18 days. Wow.
Avalon, you are doing amazing! Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
OK, 100%ers, I'd like your opinions.

I've been 100% since starting mid-August (6 weeks), and I don't weigh myself at home, but for some reason this week I feel 'stalled' - like I'm just suspended, or even gaining! No real reason to feel that way - I just do! My question is - my pattern has been to have my smoothie for breakfast, a really light lunch (usually just veggies) and often have my second IP packet WITH my dinner (make IP tortillas, or have IP rotini with my meal, etc). So, that makes for a very large dinner and truthfully, it is very satisfying. It makes me feel like I am on anything BUT a diet! Of course, then I have a 3rd packet to get in so I usually have another smoothie later in the evening. When I wake up I'm not even hungry yet! So, though I'm completely OP, my pattern of eating makes me feel like I'm OVEReating - and maybe that's what is making me feel like things are not happening? Guess only the scale will tell at my weigh in on Friday, but has anyone felt like they are OVEReating on IP? My coach knows this is my pattern, and has encouraged me to space my packets out more during the day, but also feels it should not affect my weight loss by eating the way I do. Also, in the Refuse to Regain book, one of the maintenance strategies is to have one big meal per day, and the rest of the day, small meals, so I figure I'm not that off target with this pattern. But what do you think? Like I said, maybe just a feeling and maybe the scale will show a loss on Friday, but right now, I actually feel like if I stepped on the scale I would have gained this week!
I've had a variety of patterns in my eating depending on what was happening, what worked, etc. I didn't really notice any difference in my weight loss, as long as I was following the plan. Having said that, it does seem like a long time between breakfast and dinner with nothing but veggies. If you are so full after dinner and you're finding it hard to eat your last protein packet, can you move it to lunch time or early afternoon?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

dak1lls: Congrats! So proud of you!

Ruth Ann: Feel better!

Avalon: Keep it up!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #18  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Thanks everyone for the good words - I'll get through it, just yucky for now.

Wow Avalon - you are doing great!

slowandsteady - I've had weeks where I've felt like I've gained or had a very low loss and I'm usually surprised when I actually weigh in. Last week I figured I'd be lucky with a 2 lb loss (which is good!) and I'd actually lost 5 lbs. Strange.

That said, I agree with 1littlestar - if you can do it, moving your evening snack to the daytime might keep you fuller until dinner and then you probably wouldn't feel like you're overeating at night.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #19  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Avalon, congrats on your continued losses. Isn't IP great?

Ruth Ann, :-( sorry you are sick. Definitely harder when OP. I was fighting a stomach bug last week and just wanted my toast or crackers. Hope you feel well soon.

Slownsteady, I know just how you feel. Even though I generally don't save my lunch packet for dinner I have had weeks where I felt stalled. I usually ended up having a good loss that week. When I have a super good meal I feel like I must be cheating! This is totally a mind game.

So, one of my favorite things is pancakes, and I just mentioned to DH that I plan to have them on my first Fun Day in maintenance. Well, in my last dietdirect order I received a free sample of wonderslim pancake mix. I whisked an egg white til it was frothy and added it to the batter. I had 2 delicious fluffy pancakes with a spritz of ICBINB and some WF maple syrup. I am very content this morning.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
OK, 100%ers, I'd like your opinions.

I've been 100% since starting mid-August (6 weeks), and I don't weigh myself at home, but for some reason this week I feel 'stalled' - like I'm just suspended, or even gaining! No real reason to feel that way - I just do! My question is - my pattern has been to have my smoothie for breakfast, a really light lunch (usually just veggies) and often have my second IP packet WITH my dinner (make IP tortillas, or have IP rotini with my meal, etc). So, that makes for a very large dinner and truthfully, it is very satisfying. It makes me feel like I am on anything BUT a diet! Of course, then I have a 3rd packet to get in so I usually have another smoothie later in the evening. When I wake up I'm not even hungry yet! So, though I'm completely OP, my pattern of eating makes me feel like I'm OVEReating - and maybe that's what is making me feel like things are not happening? Guess only the scale will tell at my weigh in on Friday, but has anyone felt like they are OVEReating on IP? My coach knows this is my pattern, and has encouraged me to space my packets out more during the day, but also feels it should not affect my weight loss by eating the way I do. Also, in the Refuse to Regain book, one of the maintenance strategies is to have one big meal per day, and the rest of the day, small meals, so I figure I'm not that off target with this pattern. But what do you think? Like I said, maybe just a feeling and maybe the scale will show a loss on Friday, but right now, I actually feel like if I stepped on the scale I would have gained this week!
The plan really is designed to have the veggies WITH protein. Alone, they could potentially raise your blood sugar (and hence insulin) enough to slow down the fat burning (which is why your coach is encouraging spacing them more)

If you're having rotini for dinner, how about having half your 8oz meat with lunch and the other half with the rotini (or just having veggies with the rotini and the whole 8 oz at lunch?)

If you need tortillas, how about the ones made from cauliflower and egg whites, rather than using a packet (albeit a bit easier)?

Ketosis is curbing your appetite, which is why you're not waking up hungry (isn't ketosis great?)

One of the things I've tried to avoid the entire time is the "large" meals, esp at dinner! In maintenance, I'm going to try to have my bigger meals at lunch and my next step on IP is to do the same (most of the meat protein at lunch, with smaller amts at dinner with a big salad & veggies). Anything I can get in some practice with now will surely help me on maintenance.

I know the old adage, "eat like a king at breakfast & dinner like a pauper" helps many people lose/maintain. I'm wondering if my lunches are bigger, maybe I won't be so famished at dinner.

Anyway, more food for thought than an actual "do this" post...

Last edited by lisa32989; 10-01-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #21  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
The plan really is designed to have the veggies WITH protein. Alone, they could potentially raise your blood sugar (and hence insulin) enough to slow down the fat burning (which is why your coach is encouraging spacing them more)
Thanks Lisa. My coach had been saying to not spread my lunch out too much - to eat both the veggies and the packet within one hour - but never said why in a way I could understand it. What you said above now makes more sense.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #22  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Diet pop make us fat ... and by implication the artificial sweeteners it contains... an interesting article

Diet Soda and Diet Drinks Make You Fat and Cause Type 2 Diabetes

Diet soda makes people fat? Really? How does that happen?

If losing weight were all about the calories, then consuming diet drinks would seem like a good idea. That's certainly what Coca-Cola wants us to believe in their new ad highlighting their efforts to fight obesity. They proudly promote the fact that they have 180 low- or no-calorie drinks and that they cut sugared drinks in schools by 90 percent.

Is that a good thing? In fact, it may be worse than having us all drink regular Coke (and the other food giants making diet drinks also push the same propaganda).

A new 14-year study of 66,118 women (supported by many other previous studies) found that the opposite seems to be true. Diet drinks may be worse than sugar-sweetened drinks, which are worse than fruit juices (but only fresh-squeezed fruit juices).

The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, discovered some frightening facts that should make us all swear off diet drinks and products.

Diet sodas raised the risk of diabetes more than sugar-sweetened sodas!
Women who drank one 12-ounce diet soda had a 33 percent increased risk of Type 2 diabetes, and women who drank one 20-ounce soda had a 66 percent increased risk.

Women who drank diet sodas drank twice as much as those who drank sugar-sweetened sodas because artificial sweeteners are more addictive and are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar.

The average diet soda drinker consumes three diet drinks a day.

You might say that people who are overweight and just about to get diabetes drink more diet soda, but they scientifically controlled for body weight. And they found the artificial sweeteners increased diabetes independent of body weight!

This and other research shows how diet sodas make people fat and sick.

And that diet drinks may be even worse than regular sugar-sweetened sodas! How does that happen?

Artificial sweeteners are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar, activating our genetically-programmed preference for sweet taste more than any other substance.

They trick your metabolism into thinking sugar is on its way. This causes your body to pump out insulin, the fat storage hormone, which lays down more belly fat.

It also confuses and slows your metabolism down, so you burn fewer calories every day.

It makes you hungrier and crave even more sugar and starchy carbs like bread and pasta.

In animal studies, the rats that consumed artificial sweeteners ate more, their metabolism slowed, and they put on 14 percent more body fat in just two weeks -- even eating fewer calories.

In population studies, there was a 200 percent increased risk of obesity in diet soda drinkers.

Bottom line: There is no free ride. Diet drinks are not good substitutes for sugar-sweetened drinks. They increase cravings, weight gain, and Type 2 diabetes. And they are addictive.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #23  
Started IP Aug 19, 2013

S/C/G: 218/187.5/144

Height: 5'5

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
If you're having rotini for dinner, how about having half your 8oz meat with lunch and the other half with the rotini.
Because this would make way too much sense, Lisa! LOL

I think what I may try is exactly that, for the rotini, and for the tortillas, I may just break up not only my protein portion, but actually have 1 tortilla for lunch with 4 oz protein, and one for dinner with the other 4 oz protein (since the packet makes 2)!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #24  
Started IP 6-5-13

S/C/G: 211.4/154.0/155

Height: 5'7 and a half!

Wow I couldn't get on for a day and bam we have a new volume!

Dak congrats on making goal! I love that you made it as predicted. I got lucky and made goal just in time so I can be phased off before hubby gets home. Loving P3 breakfasts. IP Rocks.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #25  

S/C/G: Reboot 2014

Height: 5' 5"

@slownsteady

I have also felt stalled for the past 3 weeks.

In the first month I lost a lot of weight. The second month, I lost just about 5 lbs. While this is fantastic, I am getting a little frustrated with the slower losses because I'm sticking with the plan but am nervous that I've gotten too comfortable with the plan and may be slipping a bit. Ex: too many veggies or too much protein?

Does anyone have advice for not getting lazy OP? This plan is too $ for me to not take it very, very seriously.

I decided to go back and eat what I had during my first few weeks OP to see if that helps kickstart again and rememeber to be really strict - no accidental cheats!

Thanks for your support and advice---this forum really helps!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 276/204/156

Height: 5, 0

Smile

Hi all,

I'm 12 days into my restart using alternatives and I will stick to 100% Op. Sadly, my children have given me a vicious chest and head cold, so its wearing me down a bit. Otherwise I'm happy to be back on plan and I wish all of us good op day!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berteau View Post

In the first month I lost a lot of weight. The second month, I lost just about 5 lbs. While this is fantastic, I am getting a little frustrated with the slower losses because I'm sticking with the plan but am nervous that I've gotten too comfortable with the plan and may be slipping a bit. Ex: too many veggies or too much protein?

Does anyone have advice for not getting lazy OP? This plan is too $ for me to not take it very, very seriously.

I decided to go back and eat what I had during my first few weeks OP to see if that helps kickstart again and rememeber to be really strict - no accidental cheats!
Make sure you are planning ahead & get your scale and measuring cups back out.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Talking Happy Dancing......

Hi all...
Back here again as a participant .... I'm happy to report!
Had apts with both GI Doc and surgeon the last few days..(surgeon had to reschedule Monday apt til today due to an emergency).

The down and dirty is the GI confirmed the cecal area IS what they term "floppy"and this was noted on their past records from previous colonoscopies. The ugly is, this means having the loose ascending colon is the real deal. And the twisting I seem to have experienced is a risk with this congenital factor. The good, is that although the CAT scan in the hospital was suggestive of cecal volvulous/cecal bascule...the most recent tests from last week did not show that to be true NOW. It really can and does twist and move around a lot more than in a person where the mesentery has that region firmly attached. The GI dr really felt it was not prudent to operate "exploratively" given the fact I'm healthy and not having any other problems now. The surgeon was on board...but I get the idea he is more prone to expecting this could happen again. Between the two of them they want 1 more colonoscopy to check for internal lining damage from the twisting and untwisting that appears to have gone on... getting that scheduled ASAP. Both cautioned me not to second guess if the symptoms reappear. Guess every stomach bug will set me into motion now.....

Neither Dr. felt there was enough data available on people who had deliberately lost weight, experiencing this kind of twisting. However...the reality in my book is there has been a change in my body tone since I was 20-30 yo...and now since losing the weight...the layers of visceral stuff holding things in place tightly in my abdomen the last decade plus....has shrunk! So ...with the bowels being an involuntary muscle...there is no way to control or prevent them from moving around on their own. The GI agreed...just said "there are no studies". Not that I'd ever expect one. What are the chances of this happening after weight loss? No one is interested, unless of course it happens to them!! And I'm sure IP (or any company that sells weight loss products) doesn't want to support a study like this to see what kinds of things related to weight loss...are possible, and should be paid attention to....and taken seriously!

In the meantime Tomorrow I will go back to P1. I am sure I'm going to miss P3 breakfast...!! ....but am glad to get back on the wagon. Even losing a minimal amount before rationally choosing to phase off properly... will be a good process. At least the phase off will not be rushed, and I will feel my body has had a good shot at adjusting!

Have felt like I was walking on eggs not only with the health issue for the last 5+ weeks, but expected to wake up any day and see my old self in the mirror. Happy to say that has not happened!

Last edited by 65X65; 10-02-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #29  
Started IP 5/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalWolf View Post
Wow I couldn't get on for a day and bam we have a new volume!

Dak congrats on making goal! I love that you made it as predicted. I got lucky and made goal just in time so I can be phased off before hubby gets home. Loving P3 breakfasts. IP Rocks.
So happy for you. Would love to see his expression when he sees you for the first time!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #30  
Started IP 5/13/13

Well....today was the day! I started P2 today after a lot of reading and hemming and hawing. lol. I am excited/nervous, but think I made the right decision. I am down another 2 lbs since Monday and have been getting a lot of suggestions that I should phase off. I feel like the time is right. I have been researching the heck out of the P3 breakfast ideas and looking up nutritional info on products and foods so I can make a good grocery list. I need simple, easy to make meals that I will like and will fall within the guidelines. I have read and reread the P2, P3 and Maintenance sheets. I will read them another 100 times or so I'm sure!

I think I have P2 down pretty well, since it is just changing my lunch to reflect what I am doing now at dinner.

Wish me luck!
Closed Thread