IP Daily Chat Tuesday 9/10/13

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • I know that if I were down at the weight you all are discussing I am NOT going to worry about 5 or 10 pounds! I have not been anywhere near my goal weight is 40 years, so I will be so happy if I can get anywhere near it.

Maybe when I get there, I will join in the conversation. You all have worked really hard to see this success - congratulations from someone just starting, but on this ride for a long and happy time!
  • Good morning all, let's have an awesome day

Diana
  • Quote: I know that if I were down at the weight you all are discussing I am NOT going to worry about 5 or 10 pounds! I have not been anywhere near my goal weight is 40 years, so I will be so happy if I can get anywhere near it.

Maybe when I get there, I will join in the conversation. You all have worked really hard to see this success - congratulations from someone just starting, but on this ride for a long and happy time!
    I am NOT near my goal weight, unforchanitly, lol. But as I said earlier because I have been LARGE my whole life, I would usually stop now. I need to realize that I need to be less than 150, even though mentally that seems crazy. Crazy crazy crazy! I was always happy if I was less than 200 and that was not often over the last few years. If I don't realize how long the road really is for me I may stop when I have in the past.
  • OK... I'm not understanding this Dukan Calculator... It says my 'goal' weight is 181.5.. .which is a little more than 10lbs from where I am... seriously?!?

At that weight I am still considered morbidly obease.... not sure about that ...
  • Quote: OK... I'm not understanding this Dukan Calculator... It says my 'goal' weight is 181.5.. .which is a little more than 10lbs from where I am... seriously?!?

At that weight I am still considered morbidly obease.... not sure about that ...
    At 5'6" at 181 you would be a 29 BMI, overweight. Morbid obese is a BMI of 40 or greater.
    Dukan wants to find a weight you don't have to struggle to maintain. Just look at it as information, another piece to our weight loss puzzle.
  • I just did the Dukan calculation. He puts my 'Ideal Weight' at 172.41 ... which I think is more realistic (knowing me and how I have felt the few times I have been in that range in the last 25 years!). This puts me at 12.41 pounds just above the 'barely within normal bmi guidelines.'

I am going to leave my goal at 160 but will keep the Dukan guideline in mind for when I get down to 170. I may decide to saw off between the middle and settle for 166! Time will tell.

Annik
  • Well maybe my docs office has an out of date wieght chart... last time I looked it would have been on the morbid side... still why would it encourage you to stay obease.. of course obease is easy to maintain.. thats why most of the US is obease...

I'm thinking they should encourage at a minimun the high side of healthy weight... I just have a hard time wrapping my head around obease being ok...
  • Thanks Lisa....I had a sample of the coconut cashew bar and since I am on IP and not IP alternatives I wasn't sure. I guess that's why they tasted so good....lol

Guess that idea goes in the "no-no" pile.
  • Good morning all! Just back from my WI and another 3.1 pounds gone! Honestly, this diet miffs me sometimes as the weeks I feel like "eh, not going to lose much" are the weeks I lose more. Strange. I did spend some time this weekend looking the correlation between my calories and higher-loss weeks, which was informative to me. That being said - with 54 pounds lost, I am about 6.7 pounds from my current goal weight, which is - to me - astounding.
    Truly astounding. So if any of you are doubting this diet, well, it does work. What happens on the other side of phasing off, however, will be all up to me.

Speaking of phasing off, I am considering shifting my goal a little bit depending upon how easily the last 6-and-a-bit come off. I have a huge examination the end of October and some travel to spend time with family (for a long weekend) and it might be easier for me to do both things on P1, and not be going through phasing off right before the examination. Alternatively, I may phase into P2 and hang out there a little longer before moving to P3 after my trip. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

Quote: When I did IP previously, my goal weight was 160 because that was the lowest I ever remember weighing, and having been bigger all my life, it is stuck in my head that I could never be skinny, or never be that light. But this time I decided that yes I can! My goal right now is 150 and then re-evaluate when I get there. I know when I was 160 lbs, I wasn't happy with my legs, and my little pouch on my stomach, so I figured 150 was a good place to start. But I have also read on here that with IP people will weigh a weight they had previously, but have been smaller at that weight than they were before. I think it is more about how you feel than the number on the scales. I am hoping that I will "know" when I get there.
    Quote: Girl, I am THERE with you!
    (except, add about 9 more years...)
    I am there with both of you. I do not recall what my body looked like the last time I was at 160, 170, 180. I suppose I sort of hid from the world (and, more importantly from myself and mirrors) as I gained it on, which is part of the reason I ended up at 215.8 when I started this journey. So I, too, am a little bit lost when it comes to "where I should be" weight-wise. I like the journey though.
  • Quote: Just back from my WI and another 3.1 pounds gone! Honestly, this diet miffs me sometimes as the weeks I feel like "eh, not going to lose much" are the weeks I lose more. Strange. I did spend some time this weekend looking the correlation between my calories and higher-loss weeks, which was informative to me. That being said - with 54 pounds lost, I am about 6.7 pounds from my current goal weight, which is - to me - astounding.
    Truly astounding. So if any of you are doubting this diet, well, it does work. What happens on the other side of phasing off, however, will be all up to me.
    Sarita,

Good for you! I am interested to hear more about the correlation you found. Was it higher calories = higher weight loss or the other way around or no corelation at all?

And sidebar: what kind of exams are you writing?

Annik
  • Actually just did the Dukan calculation again. I had pegged myself as medium framed when actually by his standards I am large framed.

To determine frame, his rule of thumb =

Grasp your left wrist between your right thumb and right forefinger.
    • Your fingers overlap: small frame
    • Your fingers just touch: medium frame
    • Your fingers do not touch: large frame
    The difference for me between medium and large frame = my ideal weight is 174 as a large framed person at 5'7.5" (172 as a medium framed person).

174 does seem like a realistically healthy weight for me. When I was younger, it is the set point where my body used to float around. And then I started dieting.... grrr...and then work stress.... and then anti-depressants.... grrr

Annik
  • I did the Dukan calculator and it put my weight at 143.5...right between the 145 I thought was probably most likely and the 140 I really want to weigh. So I think it is probably pretty accurate for my body, anyway.
  • I've changed my goal weight twice. I'm getting ready to change it again as I just reached my goal, 130, and still am not thrilled with how my body looks. I think I also need to start working out to tone up. But, I'm going to change my goal weight to 125 and see what I look like there.
  • The Dukan calculator just told me I don't need a diet b/c I'm within 5 lbs of my true weight: 159.84

No wonder I've been so frustrated with slow losses! I'm still working toward 150 but I'm not gonna let it make me crazy. I shared with the 100%ers my plan to cycle phases again & I'm on P2 right now, moving to P3 tomorrow.

The suggested true weight from the Dukan site is a maintainable weight. That is what the diet is looking at. (That, and the fact that the BMI charts are flawed).

Nope. My body isn't perfect but I've spent MANY YEARS damaging it. The healing has just begun, in my opinion. If I could get thru the back pain to the other side of healing that, perhaps I can start working on a harder body at the gym.

Quote: I know that if I were down at the weight you all are discussing I am NOT going to worry about 5 or 10 pounds! I have not been anywhere near my goal weight is 40 years, so I will be so happy if I can get anywhere near it.

If you look at my starting weight, you can see where I started. We aren't all at the point to join in every conversation (example: I have yet to comment on the maintainers thread b/c I'm not there yet). There were many discussions along the way I had nothing to add for a LONG TIME. So I didn't. But if we stick with the plan 100%, there is no chance of failure. It just takes time.

And yes, at this point, 10 lbs looks a LOT different than it did when I still weighed over 200.
  • Quote: I've changed my goal weight twice. I'm getting ready to change it again as I just reached my goal, 130, and still am not thrilled with how my body looks. I think I also need to start working out to tone up. But, I'm going to change my goal weight to 125 and see what I look like there.
    Wow girl! You must be some skinny Minnie now! I'm pretty sure my body wouldn't get that small without some starvation & pushing my thyroid to unhealthy limits. I was this height at age 13 & weighed under 120 but that was many, many, many, many decades of moons ago!

(I'm in no way saying you're unhealthy...we are each very different )