Let's Talk (IP Approved) Vegetables !!

You're on Page 4 of 4
Go to
  • I'm a big fan of roasting. My current favorite is fennel. It roasts beautifully and really mellows that anise flavor.

I've made fries with rutabaga, celery root and turnip. All are good but all are different. I think the celery root had the best taste but were kind of like bad high school cafeteria fries. In all cases I tossed in egg whites and seasonings.

Thank goodness it's grilling season! I'll also grill any vegetable.

I also mix in roasted mushrooms with ground beef or turkey and season with garlic, soy sauce and parsley to take away some of the hockey puckyness of really lean ground meats that have been made into patties.

Oh, "hi" everybody!
  • Where do I find recipe for crackers?
  • Quote: Where do I find recipe for crackers?
    kcdoe you can find a cracker recipe on page 4 at the following link (Rainbow's recipe book)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwWd...A5b2VNMGc/edit
  • Amazing recipe with fennel
    [URL="http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sauteed-chicken-breasts-with-fennel-and-rosemary"]
    I made this and had it over salad greens and arugula. It was amazing! I used the "sauce" as my dressing. so good!!!
  • i always steam my veggies

if you oversteam them (by accident) ... do you lose some of the benefit

are mushy over cooked vegetables less beneficial than crisp lightly steamed ones?
  • Quote: I eat alot of salads with cucumbers and three colours of peppers....
    pickles are delish

i roast alot of broccoli and cauliflower...with garlic..its delish...and mushrooms roasted as well....

Asparagus roasted is really good..esp if you can get the thinner stocks ..they get crispy and super yummy!

zucchini i put into muffins (lemon, banana or wildberry yogurt) and some ppl make bread or rolls with zucchini outta the IP potato .....

rutabaga fries are supposed to be really good, tho im scared to buy one and try it cuz it looks soo freaking CRAZY.
    no no no ladies you HAVE to try the rutabaga!! its to die for - make fries out of it or cut it up and throw it in some stew for this upcoming winter
  • Quote: Okay. NOW I am frustrated.

Where does this info come from????

We have SO.MANY. bad coaches out there!!!
    Two incorrect vegetable lists have been posted and people are confused. I even see posts on other threads about it.

The most recent IP protocol is clearly in the stickies and there is a link EVERY.DAY. in the daily chat.

(I just edited and linked it here too)

HERE IS THE CORRECT LIST OF SELECT VEGGIES: (cut/pasted directly from the 2/2013 protocol sheet)

Vegetables
    Select:
    Algae, Alfalfa, Asparagus, Arugula, Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Bean Sprouts, Cauliflower, Cabbage (red, pak choi, bok choy), Celery, Celeriac, Chicory, Collards, Cress, Cucumbers, Dill Pickles, Endive, Fennel, Field Salad, Green Onions, Jicama, Kale, Kohlrabi, Leeks, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions (raw only), Hot Peppers, Radicchio, Radish, Rhubarb (cooked), Sauerkraut, Sorrel, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Turnip, Watercress, Zucchini

Occasional (You may only choose two items per week from this list): Brussels sprouts, Beans (Green & Wax), Eggplant, Palm Hearts, Rutabaga, Snow Peas, Tomato

All colors of bell peppers are allowed!
    Rutabaga was moved to occasional (it wasn't removed all together)
    THIS LIST DOES NOT INCLUDE SOYA

I'm so glad people were talking about jicama, even tho it wasn't on either incorrect list.
    It is very versatile.

I find cauliflower the most versatile of all. You can mash it into mock mashed potatoes, roast it, shred into "rice", even make it into "hummus".
    I substitute it in potato salad recipe & use WF mayo and haven't missed any summer salads! Before IP, I rarely ate the stuff.

I find I'm eating more salads for dinner, just because I'm "out" of veggies for the day. When I first started IP, I wondered how people "got in" 4 c. veggies/day and now I can't wait til goal, when I can add more! I eat a balance of cooked and raw but really prefer them cooked.
    I've been putting my meat from dinner on a bed of about 4c (loosely measured) chopped romaine or leaf lettuce, purchased at the farmer's market within the past few days (I love summer & the freshest produce!).

Avalon1957: I tried to PM you but you're not accepting PMs. Could you please edit your posts to correct or remove the incorrect info to reduce future confusion? Thanks. edit: thanks for editing
    This is quite confusing, as I have in my hand the Phase 1 protocol, updated 3/2013. Is mine wrong?
  • Quote: This is quite confusing, as I have in my hand the Phase 1 protocol, updated 3/2013. Is mine wrong?
    Mine is the 3/2013 sheet, and it is identical to the one Lisa posted.
  • Quote: Mine is the 3/2013 sheet, and it is identical to the one Lisa posted.
    Quote: This is quite confusing, as I have in my hand the Phase 1 protocol, updated 3/2013. Is mine wrong?
    You guys are good. That's the one. It originally made its way out in Feb but now has 3/2013 on it.

Don't be confused. This is why I wanted the other (incorrect) info corrected (and it was!)
  • Quote: [URL="http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sauteed-chicken-breasts-with-fennel-and-rosemary"]
    I made this and had it over salad greens and arugula. It was amazing! I used the "sauce" as my dressing. so good!!!
    Thanks for sharing this, it sounds really good!
  • WHEW!!!! Thank you for the clarification!
  • Bump!
  • love your thoughts in that first post! Too funny! My mom has always been a HUGE veggie eater and she's also a landscape architect. So needless to say, our front courtyard growing up had kale instead of pretty boxwood hedges and our backyard had lettuce growing all over it. If you found a potted plant, it was most likely cukes or tomatoes. We had a massive composting system as well. So...there wasn't another option for me growing up! I just also chose to eat a lot of pasta with my veggies and a ton of sweets after dinner and that's why i'm here! lol.

Anyway, I understand how you can feel this way about some of the veggies. I think a lot of people have given you great recipes to try but one more I think you'll like is julienned zucchini. Do you have a mandolin? Mine has a little switch to julienne my veggies. Then I sautee my julienned zucchini and top it with some home made tomato sauce. I'll just mash up tomatoes in a sauce pan and fill with herbs/garlic/fresh red peppers. Top with some sort of protein and it's like pasta!
  • Quote: I'm a big fan of roasting. My current favorite is fennel. It roasts beautifully and really mellows that anise flavor.

I've made fries with rutabaga, celery root and turnip. All are good but all are different. I think the celery root had the best taste but were kind of like bad high school cafeteria fries. In all cases I tossed in egg whites and seasonings.

Thank goodness it's grilling season! I'll also grill any vegetable.

I also mix in roasted mushrooms with ground beef or turkey and season with garlic, soy sauce and parsley to take away some of the hockey puckyness of really lean ground meats that have been made into patties.

Oh, "hi" everybody!
    Thanks fr those great ideas--the egg white to make fries sound like just what they need, and same with the hockey pucks, errr lean patties.