Confused! Protein serving sizes at Dinner

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I've been reading a lot of the old posts for Newbie info, recipes, motivation etc and I noticed the amount of allowable protein you can have for dinner varies from 5oz to 8oz. My coach gave me a handout that says to have 8oz at dinner.

I'm a bit confused.
  • The new guidelines that came out this year say 8 oz... some of the threads are old. 5 oz was the old guideline..

Just follow your sheet and you'll be fine
  • Aha!!! Thanks!
  • Make sure you measure raw!
  • really! I did not know that, I have been measuring cooked.. thanks..
    Quote: Make sure you measure raw!
  • Quote: really! I did not know that, I have been measuring cooked.. thanks..
    Meat is weighed raw.
    Veggies are measured raw
  • Just want to add:

Meat is measured raw, by weight, on a food scale.

Vegetables are measured raw, by volume, in a measuring cup.
  • Thanks, I ave been measuring veggies raw in a measuring cup but my meat cooked on a food scale..
    Quote: Just want to add:

Meat is measured raw, by weight, on a food scale.

Vegetables are measured raw, by volume, in a measuring cup.
  • Quote: Make sure you measure raw!
    Lisa, thanks! Last night I made sautéed broccoli and I measured two cups raw, knowing it would cook down to nothing but at least I knew it was two cups
  • Quote: Make sure you measure raw!
    my sheet from my clinic says measure veggies raw - meat cooked
    ugh
  • Quote: my sheet from my clinic says measure veggies raw - meat cooked
    ugh
    We talk over & over on this forum about ill-informed coaches (and the occasional good one)
    The original diet was written in French.
    The English translation was written as "pre-cooked" (which can mean cook before or measure before cooking)

The intention has always been weigh/measure BEFORE cooking.
    RAW for both.

If you're happy with your losses, keep status quo. If they slow, weigh/measure raw.
  • Quote: We talk over & over on this forum about ill-informed coaches (and the occasional good one)
    wow now i feel like a scolded schoolgirl for questioning the almighty and mentioning what was on my sheet from the doctor's clinic
    sorry for posting - wont make that mistake again
  • Saskgirl please post more...we all learn from these discussions.
  • Quote: wow now i feel like a scolded schoolgirl for questioning the almighty and mentioning what was on my sheet from the doctor's clinic
    I believe you read "tone" into my post that wasn't there!
    I was simply stating that coaches don't tell us (or know) everything! It is important for us to all stick together.
  • Quote: wow now i feel like a scolded schoolgirl for questioning the almighty and mentioning what was on my sheet from the doctor's clinic
    I really didn't take Lisa's post as a negative or scold ... Well, a scolding for COACHES to be sure!! I think it is a reminder how often we discover on here that many coaches are either ill-informed or choose to ignore what IP teaches or intends.
    It's a good thing we all have each other for both knowledge and support. I often think of those IPers who do not know about this forum and wonder how much MORE successful they could be if they knew what we know!

Keep posting so we keep learning!